Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Can you use mod_rewrite in htaccess? That'll make your urls pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

jaegerx posted:

Can you use mod_rewrite in htaccess? That'll make your urls pretty

As in, in my public_html directory, point https://www.bar.com to ~/bar/ and https://www.bar.com/blog to ~/blog/?

I suppose that makes sense, I just have historically avoided mod_rewrite because I've always had the impression it had terrible performance, and you can very easily accidentally do really terrible things.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Axiem posted:

Hm. Has this changed since about 2 or 3 years ago? That's when I set up my SPF/DKIM things through my domain at Fastmail, and when I went to look a couple of days ago, it had a thing telling me that my DKIM is out of date, and to move from TXT records to CNAME records.

If the new CNAME way is more stable, then cool, that would be nice, and assuage my fears about undelivered mail.

yeah the new CNAME system is the one you want because it means they can change the DKIM keys if they want without your assistance

I'm surprised they used to make everyone set the TXT records manually tbh, that's a bit of an oversight

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

mod_rewrite won't do what you want. If you insist on not updating your shell scripts see if you can make a symlink from the old directory name to the new one instead

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

I'm surprised they used to make everyone set the TXT records manually tbh, that's a bit of an oversight

This was a number of years ago that I set the whole thing up; it's possible it was before they had the CNAME system? :shrug:

Rufus Ping posted:

mod_rewrite won't do what you want. If you insist on not updating your shell scripts see if you can make a symlink from the old directory name to the new one instead

I mean, if I switch hosting provider I'll have to update stuff anyway to point at the right SSH connection. It's not that difficult to switch where I rsync to; I just like having a prettier folder structure, and not worrying that I'll accidentally destroy ~/bar/blog/ when I update ~/bar/ to new stuff. But, I use rsync, so I should be safe as long as I don't do something stupid?

SpazRobot
Dec 21, 2004
I am Nomad.

Anaxite posted:

Dreamhost and Lithium Hosting both fall under the category of unmanaged hosts that don't do too much in the way of special or custom services.

Just as a point of clarification, our (DreamHost's) shared hosting environment is managed. If you're looking for a less expensive, truly unmanaged option, our OpenStack-powered cloud computing service is fun to play with.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

SpazRobot posted:

Just as a point of clarification, our (DreamHost's) shared hosting environment is managed. If you're looking for a less expensive, truly unmanaged option, our OpenStack-powered cloud computing service is fun to play with.

Huh. I wasn't aware of that (unless you're talking about keeping the webserver/OS/libraries up to date?). What managed services are offered for shared hosting customers? I think I got terminology confused.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 24, 2017

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Edit: Just realized this was the wrong thread.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 28, 2017

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

In Cloudflare, I see that it allows me to add SSL to a website I'm using Cloudflare as the DNS server for, even though the content is hosted elsewhere. This seems to be odd to me—I would have thought the host was responsible for the SSL cert.

Am I misunderstanding what sort of SSL things Cloudflare does? Who actually should own the cert?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

That's only available when you let CF proxy requests to your site (orange cloud mode). They own the cert and terminate SSL for you, then proxy the request to your actual host (optionally over SSL - controlled by you this time)

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170416-What-do-the-SSL-options-mean-

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Ah, that makes tons of sense. That's nicely flexible.

I'm kind of surprised Cloudflare is willing to have a free tier with that much capability.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is only tangentially related to the topic but I'm not sure where to ask it: Where can I register an email account without having to give them my phone number?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm starting to get pissed at how ineffective spamassassin is. What can I do for a one user vanity domain to fix my spam problem?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

mewse posted:

I'm starting to get pissed at how ineffective spamassassin is. What can I do for a one user vanity domain to fix my spam problem?

forward to gmail

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

ElCondemn posted:

forward to gmail

And get pissed when GMail delivers your email to a void.

mewse posted:

Jumpstart with the Enron corpus. Feed all your email to Bayes. Drop the threshold to 4 and use TxRep. Works great. I use SA for my email and very rarely does a false negative slip through. Having a diverse data set helps too, I'm talking 250k+ emails.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

mewse posted:

Welcome to the internet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

forward to gmail

I'm actually doing the opposite right now because gmail won't send push notifications to my iphone but d-push will

nem posted:

Jumpstart with the Enron corpus. Feed all your email to Bayes. Drop the threshold to 4 and use TxRep. Works great. I use SA for my email and very rarely does a false negative slip through. Having a diverse data set helps too, I'm talking 250k+ emails.

Thanks! I actually kept some huge ham / spam folders and trained spamassassin on it but it seems that I missed a bunch of spam in my inbox and it got trained improperly because it was almost worse than useless after training.

- The Enron corpus is still relevant despite Enron ending 10 years ago?
- "Feed all your email to bayes" is that just keeping separate folders and then running sa-learn on them periodically? Or is there a howto you can link to do it better

Anyway thanks again this gives me a starting point to try and unfuck spamd

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

quote:

- The Enron corpus is still relevant despite Enron ending 10 years ago?
English hasn't changed that much, at least the diction used in professional email correspondence. It's the best, well-preserved corpus of spam/ham we have at the moment and enough to kickstart the Bayes engine into doing something useful.

quote:

- "Feed all your email to bayes" is that just keeping separate folders and then running sa-learn on them periodically? Or is there a howto you can link to do it better
I just keep a separate folder and periodically run sa-learn on that folder, then discard the emails. If you're using Dovecot, you can setup a hook when messages are transferred to your Spam folder (and vice-versa).

Oh and make sure you run sa-update periodically to update your rule definitions.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Any suggestions for a CMS system that easily supports a traditional website/folder based approach as opposed to a blog/article approach? I've always hated SharePoint sites at work but now they've grown on me :/

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I'm not sure I understand 100% of what you're looking for, but maybe Jekyll, Kirby or Pico would suit what you're looking for?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Spent some time learning how sa-learn works to try and fix my spam problem. I think I've got the bayes tokens squared away. It's already caught 3 spam, two of which may have slipped through before training.

Just confirmed, bayes is working!!

pre:
 pts rule name              description
---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
 3.5 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
                            [score: 1.0000]
 1.8 REMOVE_BEFORE_LINK     BODY: Removal phrase right before a link
 1.7 URIBL_BLACK            Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
                            [URIs: peirule.date]
Kinda blows my mind that being on URIBL isn't enough to automatically put it past the 5 score threshold.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

mewse posted:

Spent some time learning how sa-learn works to try and fix my spam problem. I think I've got the bayes tokens squared away. It's already caught 3 spam, two of which may have slipped through before training.

Just confirmed, bayes is working!!

Once you are confident with BAYES_80, BAYES_95 BAYES_99 tagging, bump the scores up a notch. Also reduce the threshold on auto-learning. As long as you don't prune the database, efficacy will only improve with age.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Ceros_X posted:

Any suggestions for a CMS system that easily supports a traditional website/folder based approach as opposed to a blog/article approach? I've always hated SharePoint sites at work but now they've grown on me :/

I'm old-school, and use markdown files coupled with a Makefile that runs `mmd` and `rsync` to put things where they should go. It's a bit more work than Jekyll, but it allows me to do whatever I like otherwise.

As for building navigation, I have a bash script the Makefile also runs that figures out what the navigation should be and drops it into each HTML file.

Your mileage may vary immensely.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, I know this! Hugo

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Looking for a good, low-end (under $20/month) VPS provider. I'd go with Lithium but looks like they're sold out of that. I do not need a lot of power, but it does need to be a VPS; I'm running a MUD.

I made the mistake of going to DbD when vNucleus folded, before it became clear what a shitshow they are and I've been really unhappy with them. I'm not in a rush but I'd like to move my stuff sometime next month.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 10, 2017

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
DigitalOcean has been great for me and very good specs available for $20/mo

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
DigitalOcean is suppose to good, I've been using Linode. I know Armagoons use these guys so if bandwidth is needed they aren't terrible. https://www.nfoservers.com/

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Seconding Linode.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

If you search you can easily get $10 in credit for DigitalOcean. $15 if you find stack points referral code.

mewse
May 2, 2006

neongrey posted:

Looking for a good, low-end (under $20/month) VPS provider. I'd go with Lithium but looks like they're sold out of that. I do not need a lot of power, but it does need to be a VPS; I'm running a MUD.

I made the mistake of going to DbD when vNucleus folded, before it became clear what a shitshow they are and I've been really unhappy with them. I'm not in a rush but I'd like to move my stuff sometime next month.

Browse the deals on LowEndBox

e: and keep backups

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Thanks everyone!

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

Grandaddy D posted:

So I signed up for bounceweb several years back after they were featured on the SA Mart. I understand that they quickly went downhill, but I hadn't experienced any of that myself and had no need to contact them for support. Recently one of my databases was hacked and I had need to contact them, but they haven't responded to my ticket in two months. Obviously, I rehosted my sites elsewhere, but I'm scheduled to get charged again for a full year in about a week. I cannot find a way to cancel it, and I they still have not responded to a single ticket. What kind of recourse do I even have? I understand I can do a chargeback, but at this point, I feel the company is shady enough to go after me for an unpaid invoice.

Anyone know what happened to the guys there? We recently got a renewal notice for a domain name, paid for the renewal and now the domain is shown as expired. Submitted a ticket but no response. How screwed are we? How can we get the domain released and transferred to another host? For some inexplicable reason, the expiry date shows up at 2018 now, yet the control panel shows it as expired and won't let us modify of the domain's properties.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Hey guys, I'm trying to put together something for a friend. He is just looking for online storage that allows multiple users to make accounts and upload files. Kind of like a google drive or drop box but privately hosted.
I was looked for a VPS with 2 TB of HDD storage and I was going to install owncloud on ubuntu since he wants something with a portal rather than setting up ftp accounts for people. This isn't going to be high traffic so I don't need something with a lot of ram and cores, but I'm having a hard time finding a host that fits those requirements.
Does anyone have any recommendations or maybe something else I could consider?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

soj89 posted:

Anyone know what happened to the guys there? We recently got a renewal notice for a domain name, paid for the renewal and now the domain is shown as expired. Submitted a ticket but no response. How screwed are we? How can we get the domain released and transferred to another host? For some inexplicable reason, the expiry date shows up at 2018 now, yet the control panel shows it as expired and won't let us modify of the domain's properties.

Good luck with this, you'll want to contact the registrar directly to try and transfer out since WHMCS (the billing system) doesn't let you manage a domain marked as expired even if it isn't expired.
There's been lots of bad stuff surrounding bounceweb in the past. Supposedly a new owner took over and started posting again with the old owner's SA account (against the rules) but then was called out on likely being the same owner.
I don't know what's going on but it's all kinds of shady and plenty of people have gotten screwed over. Download account backups and move somewhere else.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Firaga posted:

Hey guys, I'm trying to put together something for a friend. He is just looking for online storage that allows multiple users to make accounts and upload files. Kind of like a google drive or drop box but privately hosted.
I was looked for a VPS with 2 TB of HDD storage and I was going to install owncloud on ubuntu since he wants something with a portal rather than setting up ftp accounts for people. This isn't going to be high traffic so I don't need something with a lot of ram and cores, but I'm having a hard time finding a host that fits those requirements.

OVH object storage is probably the cheapest safe way to store that kind of amount of data ($0.0112/GB/mo so 2TB=$23/mo). You can then install ownCloud on a much smaller cheaper VPS and configure it to use the OVH cloud as external storage.

OVH also now seem to offer a new product called Cloud Archive which is even cheaper. I'm not sure what the difference is so maybe check that out too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Firaga posted:

There is a hosting service that allows you to connect your VPS to it's own HD, you can even send your drive in. Can't remember the name of it to save my lift

mediaman
May 11, 2004

That's the beauty of it. It doesn't DO anything!
Here's a Bounceweb related horror story. I also found them on SAMart and signed up in 2009. As recently as March of this year I received notifications of upgrades/good thinks poppin' etc. and got help through online support tickets. My 2 year plan renewed this August. Sept. 15th I got a note from Paypal that I had been charged the wrong amount. A few days ago I went to look at my site. Won't load. cPanel. Won't load. I was able to log into my Bounceweb account and open a ticket. That was 4 days ago and no response. Thank goodness it's a only a beer Wordpress blog and I used UpDraftPlus to back it up. I don't feel like messing with it. I'll contact Paypal to get a refund, then switch on over: Here I come, Lithium.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

mediaman posted:

Here's a Bounceweb related horror story. I also found them on SAMart and signed up in 2009. As recently as March of this year I received notifications of upgrades/good thinks poppin' etc. and got help through online support tickets. My 2 year plan renewed this August. Sept. 15th I got a note from Paypal that I had been charged the wrong amount. A few days ago I went to look at my site. Won't load. cPanel. Won't load. I was able to log into my Bounceweb account and open a ticket. That was 4 days ago and no response. Thank goodness it's a only a beer Wordpress blog and I used UpDraftPlus to back it up. I don't feel like messing with it. I'll contact Paypal to get a refund, then switch on over: Here I come, Lithium.

Man, I am tired of seeing these stories, I wish nobody had to go through that.
Glad you have a backup, it's kind of amazing how many people don't.
PM me if you need any help, or send me an email!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

There is a hosting service that allows you to connect your VPS to it's own HD, you can even send your drive in. Can't remember the name of it to save my lift

Do not use Delimiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Do you guys running hosting services get tons of support requests for stuff not related to your business?

Subject: URGENT URGENT URGENT

How do I add this theme to WordPress?!?!?!