Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Exactly. They never evolved what made SOTN good into modern games. They just kept making the same style game for handheld, and made console games that didn't have much appeal to CV fans.

verbal enema posted:

Also what is your new av from

Mother Russia bleeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Modern games how? IGA tried making two 3D Castlevania games (three if you count Nanobreaker) and was awful at it, every attempt at making a 3D CV game failed until From made Bloodborne.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Modern games how? IGA tried making two 3D Castlevania games (three if you count Nanobreaker) and was awful at it, every attempt at making a 3D CV game failed until From made Bloodborne.

Lords of Shadow existed. I didn't like it much but it existed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every attempt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

There ya go. They could have made something closer to Bloodborne and kept the series good and true to its roots they never did. I think we agree on this? I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with me about?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably the part where I would have been happy with them making handheld SotN type games forever :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh me too. I love those games even if it's basically the same thing over and over.

The directions they took the console entries were always just weird. Like Konami had no idea what made the series good so they were just throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck since CV 64. And at no point where they like "oh it's the exploration! Let's do a game about that!"

Resident Evil has always had the same problem.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You're just filled with dumb opinions about games, aren't you?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sonic Mania and Undertale already?

Why must this be busy season at work?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Genocyber posted:

You're just filled with dumb opinions about games, aren't you?

What's dumb about it? You thought lords of shadow ruled or something?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 12, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nioh is nothing like a Souls game outside of surface level elements, and literally every 2D Castlevania after SotN (except the co-op grindy one and that Lords of Shadow one) was SotN-style with some tweaks. Your opinions are basically the opposite of reality.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh you just can't read. Got it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah Nioh is pretty unapologetically a souls clone with loot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the handheld followups to sotn were really good and I wish there were more

I'm excited for iga's new game but I miss the sprites. 2.5d is so ugly 99% of the time

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its 2017 and now time for everyone to admit that Harmony of Despair, the 4 player coop Castlevania hunting action game, was really good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If i had any wish i wanted i would make souls xbox exclusive to save this gdam thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

Its 2017 and now time for everyone to admit that Harmony of Despair, the 4 player coop Castlevania hunting action game, was really good.

Not if you didn't have three other people to play it with.

Also it sucks as 2D Castlevania's swan song.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

I cant believe they named it that after harmony of dissonance already existed and was poorly recieved

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I forgot all about that game. never actually played it either

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I cant believe they named it that after harmony of dissonance already existed and was poorly recieved
They were really thirsty for something that they could abbreviate as Castlevania HD

Manatee Cannon posted:

I forgot all about that game. never actually played it either
TBH the main thing I liked about it was the conceit of making each Castlevania protagonist effectively a character class, and they all played totally differently and had their own progression systems. It was a really smartly designed hunting game while also being a fun little Castlevania masturbatory piece for fans. Way better than the Castlevania fighting game, at least.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know what the hell genocyber thought I was saying and he's pretty dumb, so I probably don't have to explain this to anyone else, but 1. The handheld CVs were total SOTN clones and 2. They were amazing and I would play all of them until the end of time if they'd keep making them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Real hurthling! posted:

If i had any wish i wanted i would make souls xbox exclusive to save this gdam thread

Eh unless you think you can only clone games on the same console as you it wouldn't do much.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As pointed out before, and was once again ignored, nobody is dismissing the fact Nioh has elements inspired by Souls. What's irritating is veni's continued, dumb insistence that it's a wholesale rip-off that's not done anything original - something which sidesteps aspects of Nioh repeatedly brought up, and also how not everything in the universe originated with Dark Souls.

veni veni veni posted:

Last time I made a mile long bullet point list of things that were directly taken from Souls, you totally ignored it and I even acknowledged all of your arguments, which frankly I think are weak. You are exactly what you accuse me of being. The way you argue is some totally unreasonable Bill Oreily poo poo.

You don't listen to what other people say and just accuse them of the same thing, then walk around like you are on top of the world. It's ridiculous and not even worth engaging.

Those other bullet points were dealt with by Digirat and Snak at the time, something pointed out. But nope, you just doubled down and promptly ignored them to repeat yourself about how Nioh is a "90% rip-off" of FROM.

You have a really, really weird fetish for attributing things to Dark Souls - once again you bring up the matter of waist high walls being a Souls concept, for Christ sake - and getting angry whenever anyone contradicts you on it. That you've barely scratched the surface of Nioh in the first place says a lot, dude.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 12, 2017

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
What's the best wireless headset for PS4? Getting ready for some Destiny 2 with the boys and want something with reasonable sound and mic quality.

I heard the Platinum Wireless Headset doesn't sound great and the mic sounds worse from YouTube vids. The SteelSeries Arctis 7 seems pretty deece, any used it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

As pointed out before, and was once again ignored, nobody is dismissing the fact Nioh has elements inspired by Souls. What's irritating is veni's continued, dumb insistence that it's a wholesale rip-off that's not done anything original - something which sidesteps aspects of Nioh repeatedly brought up, and also how not everything in the universe originated with Dark Souls.

Those other bullet points were dealt with by Digirat and Snak at the time, something pointed out. But nope, you just doubled down and promptly ignored them to repeat yourself about how Nioh is a "90% rip-off" of FROM.

You have a really, really weird fetish for attributing things to Dark Souls - once again you bring up the matter of waist high walls being a Souls concept, for Christ sake - and getting angry whenever anyone contradicts you on it. That you've barely scratched the surface of Nioh in the first place says a lot, dude.

You got me. Nioh is super original. It's nothing like that game that virtually every one that plays it and has a modicum of common sense says it's a clone of.

Can we never talk about this again now?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You brought it up, buddy!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the no true soulsman discussions are the fuckin worst!! also ive been really enjoying dragon quest builders which i picked up a week or two ago on sale, but i am sort of pissed that when i finally got the nerve to go kill that dragon that all i got was a couch

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: NM

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

rabidsquid posted:

the no true soulsman discussions are the fuckin worst!! also ive been really enjoying dragon quest builders which i picked up a week or two ago on sale, but i am sort of pissed that when i finally got the nerve to go kill that dragon that all i got was a couch

Was it a nice couch?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, it was like a big green comfy couch or something. it looked pretty cool but i expected a recipe to drop or something. now that i understand the situation its fine. also i ate some kinda hamburger that made me buff as hell. dq builders rules

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Playing Just Cause and Zero Dawn next to each other is annoying. I keep trying to use Rico's grappling hook when fighting dinosaurs.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It would be the logical progression if Souls 4 added infuriating classic Castlevania jumping physics and platforming sections. Like having to jump across Blighttown waterwheels with Medusa heads bumping you off.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lords of the Fallen is the best ARPG videogame.

Now what.

(now I should wash my hands after writing that poo poo, jeez)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The Crash Bandicoot remakes are 70% Dark Souls rip offs and 30% poo poo. 3D action game play with enemies that re spawn when you die and you can die in just a few hits.

Im gonna start a Patreon for me to review games based on how close the the gold standard, Dark Souls, it is. Hellblade is a 7, Horizon is a meager 4, Night in the Woods is a 1.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

video games are for making friends, everybody.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

video games are for making friends, everybody.

I haven't spoken to anyone on my PS4 friends list in months. :negative:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So does DS copy bloodborne which copied witcher which took combat from Nioh but then DS was the first but they clearly copied diablo which copied shadow of mordor....ah gently caress who was the OG 🤔 but it doesn't matter because I think BB is the best of them all :colbert:

:jerkbag:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Diablo has chest high walls. loving Gears of War clone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They are all Dungeon and Dragons rip offs because damage rolls, habilities and stuff related with numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Poptart fairy you are so dense it's unreal