Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cleretic posted:

Yeah but the public needs to have a say by way of this totally optional and non-binding vote for something that's had consistent majority approval for years.

I think you'll find those were baseless polls with no scientific backing that were totally wrong unlike this very scientific non compulsory and barely controlled survey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Teddybear posted:

Quick question from an insomniac American (as I seem to be doing more and more, sorry): with voting compulsory, why does the AEC rely on a voter-updated enrollment list?

20 years ago the aec regularly had people going door to door to update electoral roll. Now they use information from federal and state agencies to work out who needs to update their information.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/About_Electoral_Roll/Roll_review.htm

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Teddybear posted:

I didn't realize the sentiment of "gently caress off we're full" extended to the auspol thread too, should I go to the PNG thread instead?

We will determine who posts in the Auspol thread, and the circumstances in which they post.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'm sorry but we won't discuss on-topic matters.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Refugees to this thread are fine, unless you came here by boat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then it's off to Pet Island.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I truly hope the plebiscite doesn't come at the cost of any queer kids lives. Letting the debate happen is reckless and puts them in danger.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don't worry, it's just a name

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Don't worry, it's just a name

Its really a stray

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

I got Australian friends and an interest in politics and it's four in the morning here.

I didn't realize the sentiment of "gently caress off we're full" extended to the auspol thread too, should I go to the PNG thread instead?

Don't let the idiots run you off.. god knows nothing can lower the quality of posting in this thread.

:itwaspoo:

:justpost:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KennyTheFish posted:

Its really a stray

Actually, it's a peninsula

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

Don't let the idiots run you off.. god knows nothing can lower the quality of posting in this thread.

:itwaspoo:

:justpost:

We could theoretically get some actual ACL or the Mad Monk himself in the thread. That would lower the quality of posting without a doubt.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
wow

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

We could theoretically get some actual ACL or the Mad Monk himself in the thread. That would lower the quality of posting without a doubt.

Getting the mad monk would certainly improve the Tone.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
We shouldn't allow gay marriage because kids need a mum and a dad.

Most paedophiles are gay.

How is a kid going to learn to change a car transmission or fix a fridge with two mums?

actual things that I've seen on social media over the last couple of days

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
100% of australia's social problems are due to golf

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
4 Corners is just kinda loving NSW off

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I love how 4Corners can show how hosed the environment is in one week and then have the balls to gently caress up The Greens the next week.

4CORNERS:Everything is hosed

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm guessing a lot of these arguments were thrown around during the introduction of no fault divorce and surprisingly we still have plumbers and Bunnings.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

AUSPOL:Everything is hosed

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hooman posted:

Getting the mad monk would certainly improve the Tone.

:D

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

KennyTheFish posted:

Its really a stray

a stray yuh

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Former prime minister Tony Abbott may be the highest profile opponent of same-sex marriage but as the September plebiscite approaches, his own electorate has revealed it overwhelmingly supports gay marriage.

Almost 700 residents across the federal electorate of Warringah were asked if same sex couples should be able to get married.

Almost seven in 10 (69.7 per cent) agreed they should, 25.7 per cent did not and 4.6 per cent were undecided.

The poll was conducted by the left-leaning Australia Institute think tank.

Majority support was revealed across all age-groups with the 18-34 bracket leading the charge with 83.9 per cent in favour.

Even the age-group with the lowest support, 65 and older, came in at 57.3 per cent in favour.

Liberal voters polled 60.3 per cent in favour, Labor voters 88 per cent and every Green polled expressed support.

The lowest support came from One Nation voters, of whom 68.3 per cent opposed same-sex marriage and only 22.3 per cent supported it.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Welp, I guess seven out of ten people that motherfucker represents aren't going to be represented by him when it comes to a vote.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vindicator posted:

Welp, I guess seven out of ten people that motherfucker represents aren't going to be represented by him when it comes to a vote.

I wish his seat wasn't so loving safe. :(

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
aww yeah state council, going to be a good one I think.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
If Abbott's district votes in favour of SSM, has Abbott indicated whether he'll vote for it as an MP?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
No you see, you're mistaking representative democracy for something that is either representative, and/or democratic.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Don Dongington posted:

No you see, you're mistaking representative democracy for something that is either representative, and/or democratic.

I'm just trying to picture the mental gymnastics that would have to occur for Abbot to have pushed for this in the manner that he has and then wind up ignoring the results at the end anyway. I know that not being hypocritical hasn't been among his priorities in the past but this would reach a new level of egregiousness and I'm wondering if he's signalled what he plans to do.

It'd require a lot of integrity to vote for SSM while declaring that he is personally against it because of how his constituents voted.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amazing what freedom people have when they're not an MP

https://twitter.com/amandavanstone/status/896293249584779269

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm really glad that the whole ultranationalist thing isn't as bad as the US, at least regarding street activism. There are a lot of unabashed nazis relishing in the fact that a car rammed a bunch of antifascists today (almost like a terrorist attack)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Recoome posted:

I'm really glad that the whole ultranationalist thing isn't as bad as the US, at least regarding street activism. There are a lot of unabashed nazis relishing in the fact that a car rammed a bunch of antifascists today (almost like a terrorist attack)

Yeah, at least our crazy drivers aren't nazis I guess

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

meeting joined by noisy myna

policy proposal to fly around a bunch and eat some crumbs passed by consensus

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 13, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Serrath posted:

I'm just trying to picture the mental gymnastics that would have to occur for Abbot to have pushed for this in the manner that he has and then wind up ignoring the results at the end anyway.

There's a reason it's a non-binding plebiscite and not a referendum.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

thatbastardken posted:

meeting joined by noisy myna

policy proposal to fly around a bunch and eat some crumbs passed by consensus

Pee wees grew here, mynas flew here.

How will this affect lw's leadership ambitions?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

noisy myna is a native, actually. lw will feast on the corpse of rdn and tread his jeweled throne beneath her feet.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
a few of my friends have experienced having homophobic/transphobic slurs yelled at them today

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

I just want to see him pushed in an interview on why he's not representing his constituency, or even the liberal voters of his, by someone who'll force their way past his prevarication.

Then again I want to see him pushed by a no-bullshit interviewer on a lot of things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
We've already seen what happens when he's confronted with a question he can't answer - he either walks away or he convulses for 90 seconds and then walks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

We've already seen what happens when he's confronted with a question he can't answer - he either walks away or he convulses for 90 seconds and then walks away.

I'm still sad that that interviewer didn't start shouting in apparent sincerity "Mr Abbott? MR ABBOTT? CAN WE GET SOME HELP OVER HERE I THINK HE'S HAVING A SEIZURE"

• Locked thread