Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Examples of those believed by the ones proposing these teachings to be Ascended Masters would be the Master Jesus, Confucius, Gautama Buddha, Mary the Mother of Jesus, St. Paul of Tarsus, Megha Alcorn as known as Megan Sebastian, Ashtar Sheran, Merku, Sanat Kumara, Aaron as known as Alaje, Aleph, Hatton, (aka Hilarion), Melchizedek, Archangel Michael, Metatron, Kwan Yin, Saint Germain and Kuthumi, as well as dozens of others.

It is believed by Ascended Master Teachings organizations that the Master Jesus was "Chohan of the Sixth Ray" until December 31, 1959, when, according to Elizabeth Clare Prophet, Lady Master Nada fully took on that Office in the Spiritual Hierarchy. According to Prophet, Jesus became World Teacher, along with Kuthumi, on January 1, 1956, succeeding Maitreya, who took the Office of "Planetary Buddha" and "Cosmic Christ".[30][31] This belief is not accepted by adherents of traditional Theosophy and the followers of Alice A. Bailey and Benjamin Creme - they believe that the Master Jesus is still the Chohan of the Sixth Ray and that Maitreya is still the World Teacher.

but who is Sorcerer Supreme and how many of the masters are Super Saiyan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Examples of those believed by the ones proposing these teachings to be Ascended Masters would be the Master Jesus, Confucius, Gautama Buddha, Mary the Mother of Jesus, St. Paul of Tarsus, Megha Alcorn as known as Megan Sebastian, Ashtar Sheran, Merku, Sanat Kumara, Aaron as known as Alaje, Aleph, Hatton, (aka Hilarion), Melchizedek, Archangel Michael, Metatron, Kwan Yin, Saint Germain and Kuthumi, as well as dozens of others.

It is believed by Ascended Master Teachings organizations that the Master Jesus was "Chohan of the Sixth Ray" until December 31, 1959, when, according to Elizabeth Clare Prophet, Lady Master Nada fully took on that Office in the Spiritual Hierarchy. According to Prophet, Jesus became World Teacher, along with Kuthumi, on January 1, 1956, succeeding Maitreya, who took the Office of "Planetary Buddha" and "Cosmic Christ".[30][31] This belief is not accepted by adherents of traditional Theosophy and the followers of Alice A. Bailey and Benjamin Creme - they believe that the Master Jesus is still the Chohan of the Sixth Ray and that Maitreya is still the World Teacher.

they forgot to add Dan Quinn aka the American Maitreya to that list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOqxeVVim-A

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
His industry work centered around the interactions of nitrogen-bonded urea with silicone gel, which formed the basis for his later music work (under the band name Hell Orbs) as "Piss Admiral Dildo Captain."[11] For the first two years of TFD's existence, Drew worked as a cat photographer to "make ends meet" before it became popular.[12]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
In 2015 Drew revealed that he was "Mr. Eggs",[11] a notorious internet troll who posted hundreds of times to "Misc," a forum on bodybuilding.com. Further speculation on Misc has led forum members to believe that he posted in 2012 as Malodrax, a user who claimed to have made an adult-sized doll out of plastic bottles.[citation needed]

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Path TV Show:
The Eye symbol, central to Meyerist branding and given dominance in many interiors, was based on tribal, Egyptian and modern art, with a rising sun overlaid to show hopefulness for a new day.[22] Series creator Jessica Goldberg describes the Eye's symbolism as a duality of enlightenment and paranoia, that "your eyes have been opened, and now you've seen the truth" but also that "you're always being watched." While preparing to shoot a scene in a Westchester storefront dressed as a Meyerist recruitment office, passers-by would come in—curious about the Eye on posters, books, brochures, etc.—wondering what the movement was and how they could join.[24]

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

A few examples of autistic symptoms and treatments were described long before autism was named. The Table Talk of Martin Luther, compiled by his notetaker, Mathesius, contains the story of a 12-year-old boy who may have been severely autistic.[215] Luther reportedly thought the boy was a soulless mass of flesh possessed by the devil, and suggested that he be suffocated

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

OldAlias posted:

A few examples of autistic symptoms and treatments were described long before autism was named. The Table Talk of Martin Luther, compiled by his notetaker, Mathesius, contains the story of a 12-year-old boy who may have been severely autistic.[215] Luther reportedly thought the boy was a soulless mass of flesh possessed by the devil, and suggested that he be suffocated

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

harsh, but fair

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

OldAlias posted:

just as expected of a man known mainly for posting

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Piss Admiral Dildo Captain

mods plz

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

OldAlias posted:

:stonk:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

OldAlias posted:

they named down's syndrome after the guy who first separated out and classified it

In 1866, he wrote a paper entitled "Observations on an Ethnic Classification of Idiots" in which he put forward the theory that it was possible to classify different types of conditions by ethnic characteristics.[2] He listed several types including the Malay, Caucasian and Ethiopian types. In the main the paper is about what is known as Down syndrome, named after him, but which he classified as the Mongolian type of idiot. As a result, Down syndrome was also known as "Mongolism" and people with Down syndrome referred to as "Mongoloids". Down's paper also argued that if mere disease is able to break down racial barriers to the point of causing the facial features of the offspring of whites resemble those another race, then racial differences must be the result of variation, affirming therefore the unity of the human species. Down used this reasoning to argue against a tendency he perceived in his day to regard different races as separate species.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

His industry work centered around the interactions of nitrogen-bonded urea with silicone gel, which formed the basis for his later music work (under the band name Hell Orbs) as "Piss Admiral Dildo Captain."[11] For the first two years of TFD's existence, Drew worked as a cat photographer to "make ends meet" before it became popular.[12]

a lot of these ancedotes cite... interviews with drew fairweather.

so basically you can say lulzy things about yourself to a blogger and they will go into wikipedia

:yeah:

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 12, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

sometimes i wonder if any of toothpaste guy's work is calculated to be nerd catnip, just because it seems like he's so good at making stuff like that

does he still post? or does he just buy banners for aggro gator these days

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they named down's syndrome after the guy who first separated out and classified it

In 1866, he wrote a paper entitled "Observations on an Ethnic Classification of Idiots"

i know that this is ye old :biotruths: but lol at the idea of his parents going "son when are you going to make the money that the family desperately needs after we spent it all on your education?" and getting back "do not worry mother! I have published my opus 'Observations on an Ethnic Classification of Idiots'!"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

didn't some of those eugenics type people clean up, financially? i sorta remember reading that some of them being given fancy science posts, going on lecture tours, stuff like that

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sometimes i wonder if any of toothpaste guy's work is calculated to be nerd catnip, just because it seems like he's so good at making stuff like that

does he still post? or does he just buy banners for aggro gator these days

he's the RL stine of weird webcomics

wikipedia claims he's had contractors drawing TFD since 2010

i think him, stine, and KA applegate just smoke weed all day while their ghostwriters toil in the basement

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

In 1866, he wrote a paper entitled "Observations on an Ethnic Classification of Idiots" in which he put forward the theory that it was possible to classify different types of conditions by ethnic characteristics.[2] He listed several types including the Malay, Caucasian and Ethiopian types. In the main the paper is about what is known as Down syndrome, named after him, but which he classified as the Mongolian type of idiot. As a result, Down syndrome was also known as "Mongolism" and people with Down syndrome referred to as "Mongoloids". Down's paper also argued that if mere disease is able to break down racial barriers to the point of causing the facial features of the offspring of whites resemble those another race, then racial differences must be the result of variation, affirming therefore the unity of the human species. Down used this reasoning to argue against a tendency he perceived in his day to regard different races as separate species.

what was the ethiopian type of idiot

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
also im no 19th century race scientist but the mere existence of a term like "octoroon" would seem to be proof that white and black ppl are the same species?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

sometimes my butt smells like rear end[citation needed]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

new klf album looking complicated

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

didn't some of those eugenics type people clean up, financially? i sorta remember reading that some of them being given fancy science posts, going on lecture tours, stuff like that

some of the key people in the development of genetics and the neodarwinian synthesis were way into eugenics

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
dobzhansky argued that we should set nukes off to increase the number of mutations entering the human gene pool to speed up the process of evolution iirc

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Trig Discipline posted:

dobzhansky argued that we should set nukes off to increase the number of mutations entering the human gene pool to speed up the process of evolution iirc

i though that was magneto

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Wikivoyage has some gems too:

quote:

While "Storrowing" can occur year round, it often coincides with Allston Christmas in September. As tens of thousands of college freshmen arrive for the first time, many are unaware just how low some bridges in Boston can be. You've officially storrowed if you try to drive a 12 foot truck under an 11 foot bridge. The maneuver is named after Storrow Drive, an older thoroughfare featuring razor thin height clearances.

Usually people stop before they hit a bridge, or police will flag drivers down. Regardless, every year plenty of moving trucks are ripped open like a can of sardines. Local radio stations and workplaces sometimes arrange betting pools; often gambling on the first bridge to be hit, time of day accident will occur, and which university the student is attending.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

Despite numerous signs and warning devices, a truck crashes into the bridge on average at least once a month. Most of the crashes involve rental trucks, even though the truck rental agencies warn renters about the under-height bridges in the area. Jürgen Henn, who works in a nearby office, mounted a video camera to record the crashes. Since April 2008, he has recorded over 100 crashes, and posted them on YouTube.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

:newlol:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

maskenfreiheit posted:

why are tens of thousands of college students showing up in huge trucks? are we talking about trucker college here? or do american colleges normally provide unfurnished accommodation or something?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Soricidus posted:

why are tens of thousands of college students showing up in huge trucks? are we talking about trucker college here? or do american colleges normally provide unfurnished accommodation or something?

Usually they just provide a bed and a desk

I don't know what else they're bringing but college students are dumb

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in my upper years of college i used to do the new student orientation stuff, and it was ridiculous what some kids would bring. things like a 300-pound 40" trinitron with associated entertainment center furniture. or a la-z-boy the size of a twin bed. or a 3'x7' floor-to-ceiling mirror.

one basic concept that few people seemed to grasp was that you can't fit the contents of an 8x20' u-haul into an 8x10' dorm room

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

magneto was based on dobzhansky

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
upperclassmen usually get off campus apartments too

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Trig Discipline posted:

magneto was based on dobzhansky

Dobzhansky in Popular Culture

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

the glossary of golf page on wikipedia

Wikipedia posted:

Dog-balls
Scoring an 'eight' on any single golf hole. The origin of the term is in reference to what the number 'eight' looks like on its side; also referred to as the "Snowman."

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dobzhansky in Popular Culture

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Soricidus posted:

most of the college students at the boston/cambridge/somerville colleges live off-campus or in normal apartment-style on-campus housing. you need your own furniture for that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
In 1977, Edward Simpkins from the Isle of Wight set the new world record of five hours and ten minutes, although he only had one ferret in his trousers during the first four hours and two for the last seventy minutes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The sport is said to involve very little "native skill",[7] simply an ability to "have your tool bitten and not care".[9] The former world champion, Reg Mellor, is credited with instituting the practice of wearing white trousers in ferret-legging matches, to better display the blood from the wounds caused by the animals.[9] Competitors can attempt, from outside their trousers, to dislodge the ferrets, but as the animals can maintain a strong hold for long periods, their removal can be difficult.[2]

The ferrets are occasionally put inside the contestants' shirts in addition to their trousers.[10] An attempt to introduce a female version of the sport—ferret busting, in which female contestants introduced ferrets down their blouses—proved unsuccessful.[11]

ed:

Reg Mellor, however, commented that at their very worst, they can be "cannibals, things that live only to kill, that'll eat your eyes out to get at your brain".[21]

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 13, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

One of Lustig's trademark cons involved a "money-printing machine". He would demonstrate the capability of the small box to clients, all the while lamenting that it took the device six hours to copy a $100 bill. The client, sensing huge profits, would buy the machines for a high price, usually over $30,000. Over the next twelve hours, the machine would produce two more $100 bills. After that, it produced only blank paper, as its supply of $100 bills became exhausted. By the time the clients realized that they had been scammed, Lustig was long gone. This type of scheme is also called the “money box” scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy