Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Firstborn posted:

Are you trying to say the resurgence of movies that take place in the 80's isn't credited to Stranger Things? C'mon fam, I'll watch the movie if you stop

The 80s resurgence predates the bad Netflix show from 9 months ago, yes.

Maybe you stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is it only bad because you need an argument? It's not that bad. :shrug:

\/\/\/ Oh, I hear you. The older I get, the more I listen to podcasts. I feel like grandpa flappy pants listening to radio shows

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 11, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Is it only bad because you need an argument? It's not that bad. :shrug:

No, I post at least 1 netflix=bad post every 5 pages because I'm a goober clown that hates tv

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's okay

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

80's homages have been coming for a while now since the early 2000's.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Halt and Catch Fire premiered 2.5 years earlier, for what it's worth.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

When did public opinion turn on Jennifer Lawrence?

probably when she defaced a cultural landmark and then was like "aw gee shucks what a misadventure" about it

e: also the 80s resurgence thing has been bubbling for a while, Drive and Hotline Miami kicked it off in 2011-2012ish, but Stranger Things definitely turned it from a trickle into a flood

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm just glad most of the 80s revival stuff has sucked just like the 80s did. I just suffered through the dull and over long nostalgia-laden Atomic Blonde

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the bad Netflix show

:getout:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

no i will stay

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Firstborn posted:

Are you trying to say the resurgence of movies that take place in the 80's isn't credited to Stranger Things? C'mon fam, I'll watch the movie if you stop

A.) It takes place in the 90s so we're both wrong there.

B.) Given how long it takes to make a movie, this thing - which premiered back in February - was likely well into production (or finished production) before Stranger Things even came out.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's cool, I was wrong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Atomic Blonde was loving awesome.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

cold war is coming back in a big way

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

probably when she defaced a cultural landmark and then was like "aw gee shucks what a misadventure" about it

It was a pile of rocks, a stupid (sacred???) pile of rocks. Those rocks were lucky to have Jennifer Lawrence's butt touch them.

I don't even particularly care for her as an actress, but come on.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Rough Lobster posted:

It was a pile of rocks, a stupid (sacred???) pile of rocks. Those rocks were lucky to have Jennifer Lawrence's butt touch them.

Eh, it's not a reason to hate her in particular, but it's definitely something to hate. Go figure, most indigenous peoples are not as cavalier about a colonization and genocide of their peoples and culture that they see as still going on, as the colonizer.

JLaw is not the problem. The problem is colonial culture and its banal acceptance of its own grievous history.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So when are we knocking down the minarets defacing the Hagia Sophia

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rough Lobster posted:

see, sitting on the rocks is not in and of itself the Worst Thing Ever and there was an elegant way for her to handle that (apologize to the people she pissed off and say she screwed up)

Instead she acted like an unbelievable rear end in a top hat about the whole situation

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Atomic Blonde was loving awesome.

Nah man way too overcooked. charlize is nuts-level hot but her character is wildly uninteresting.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Oh my god I need this in my life.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Atomic Blonde is a film that leans heavily into certain strengths and hopes it covers over it's weaknesses. It's sense of place and visual style pushes all the right buttons for me, and it's action scenes are sure to please all but the most curmudgeon.

However, it's characters and their motivations are all over the place, and it really ends up hurting the story. The only ones who you get a distinct reason and emotional reading are the french agent and John Goodman. You definitely get the feeling that the French girl is well over her head and, best way of putting it, hasn't been broken in yet. It would have been great if they took a moment to draw parallels to this, but they just had to kill her off. And it feels like they only did so that they could have that motivation for Charlize Theron to be sad in the opening. Meanwhile John Goodman is pretty simple as a character, pretty much just being there to both make Theron start from the absolute beginning and be vaguely upset. Which was all a ruse, but I'm not sure if it really added any dynamism to the film.

But, it's doing stuff that not many (if any) other films are doing, and I like it on that basis alone. I just recommend everyone watch it on their own terms and judge it themselves.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpm3lx_-9OA
This looks AWFUL

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Didn't JLaw also say the rock rolled and almost killed a sound guy as well? I just remember that detail kind of elevating the level of rear end in a top hat she came off as.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Jlaw posted:

“There were … sacred … rocks — I dunno, they were ancestors, who knows — they were sacred,” said Lawrence. “And you’re not supposed to sit on them, because you’re not supposed to expose your genitalia to them.
“I, however, was in a wetsuit for this whole shoot – oh my god, they were so good for butt itching!”
Waving a glass of white wine and at times unable to speak due to laughter, Lawrence said, “one rock that I was butt-scratchin’ on came loose”, prompting a landslide.
“And all the Hawaiians were like: ‘Oh my god, it’s the curse!’” she said, imitating shaking her first at the sky. “And I’m in the corner going, I’m your curse. I wedged it loose with my rear end.”

That poo poo is straight out of a comedy, how is this even possible

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

All I know about Jennifer Lawrence is when she was on Graham Norton she was really charming but also used our little disabled lift for a "comedy" bit behind the scenes whilst everyone looked on a bit embarrassed. Basically - she's young. Oh and her and Chris Pratt loving hated each other.

She's not even in the top 10 horrible people I've met on that show.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

married but discreet posted:

That's too good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The aftermath of Stalin's death was such a clusterfuck that this seems just a little exaggerated. Stalin's guards for example really was afraid of going into his office or call for doctors when they realized he had collapsed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lol she owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno I just prefer my celebrities to be decent human beings and not huge garbage assholes, it's why I still haven't hosed with Hacksaw Ridge

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Furiously googling Jennifer Lawrence Accursed rear end

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3tkFOtM6go

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno I just prefer my celebrities to be decent human beings and not huge garbage assholes, it's why I still haven't hosed with Hacksaw Ridge

You prefer your human symbols to not have any human contradictions or idiosyncrasies

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ammanas posted:

Nah man way too overcooked. charlize is nuts-level hot but her character is wildly uninteresting.

It was a mix of Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Usual Suspects, with the action and visuals turned up a lot. Cool enough for me :shrug:

https://youtu.be/_1uT5mWbpdI

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You prefer your human symbols to not have any human contradictions or idiosyncrasies

To each their own, but I don't know if I'd characterize wild anti-Semitism as an "idiosyncrasy."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

porfiria posted:

To each their own, but I don't know if I'd characterize wild anti-Semitism as an "idiosyncrasy."

I offered two categorical options; you decide your own level of involvement

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOdjqyG37A

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Rememory with Peter Dinklage, Julia Ormond, Anton Yelchin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR7fbnFuUbo

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

Rememory with Peter Dinklage, Julia Ormond, Anton Yelchin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR7fbnFuUbo

It's a bit weird that Anton Yelchin is in a movie about using memories from dead people and stuff. Looks good though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2hMVDD8fs

This is Sorkin stroking himself.

I'll see it.

• Locked thread