Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Grabbed a box of AoS Khorne Murder Slaughter Killer Bloods today. The spare parts from the Blood Warriors will make excellent 40k Berzerkers. Also bought the Triumvirate of the Imperium box for Greyfax but I'm thinking Celestine painted in the same colours as the Sigmarines I did would make a great general for them too. I held off on buying the Chaos Codex as I think I spent enough for one visit :/

Still a lot more stuff for less £ than a couple of years ago, especially the start collecting box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They're all pretty bloodthirsty, but berzerkers are guys who are completely lost to fighting. Like, they do nothing else but kill.

Yeah, you've still got World Eaters Raptors, Warp Talons, Possessed, Terminators, regular CSMs with close combat weapons, and even Havocs, I think

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The flying stands on my Primaris Inceptors broke because they're fragile pieces of poo poo so I remedied this by having the fly boys tilted over on one side so that one muzzle of an assault bolter is touching the base and one of the feet is glancing the ground

Venerable Primaris Breakdance Deathmurderers

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I loved the reading of the google translated version of that ad.

Here's a picture from our game last night

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chutche2 posted:

I can see EC but berserkers? Yeah they're strong but do non-berserker world eaters even exist?

They're all berserk but they haven't all earned their Berserker merit badges yet

Do other berserkers have the nails / brain lobotomies or is that just Angron? I thought he did that to most of his dudes too. That'd be an easy way to distinguish between tacticals and berserkers.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

They're all pretty bloodthirsty, but berzerkers are guys who are completely lost to fighting. Like, they do nothing else but kill.

All you need is kill

Then there's the blood angels death company...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Zaphod42 posted:

They're all berserk but they haven't all earned their Berserker merit badges yet

Do other berserkers have the nails / brain lobotomies or is that just Angron? I thought he did that to most of his dudes too. That'd be an easy way to distinguish between tacticals and berserkers.

Here are some non Berserker World Eaters that I did a few years ago. Black Templar weapons and normal heads really set them apart from their Bunny Brethren

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zaphod42 posted:

All you need is kill

All the actual berserkers have the lobotomies, it's part of becoming one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Here are some non Berserker World Eaters that I did a few years ago. Black Templar weapons and normal heads really set them apart from their Bunny Brethren

These are hot

Black_Nexus posted:

All the actual berserkers have the lobotomies, it's part of becoming one

That's what I thought! So that totally explains it then. World Eater tacticals are just dudes who haven't been through the ritual lobotomies yet. (Haven't earned the honor yet)

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm about to start working on a Knight-Acheron today, post your Knights so I can steal your paint schemes.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

goose willis posted:

The flying stands on my Primaris Inceptors broke because they're fragile pieces of poo poo so I remedied this by having the fly boys tilted over on one side so that one muzzle of an assault bolter is touching the base and one of the feet is glancing the ground

Venerable Primaris Breakdance Deathmurderers

That's why I put a magnet in the inceptors and on the tops of the stands. They didn't look like they'd hold up to normal transporting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zaphod42 posted:

These are hot

That's what I thought! So that totally explains it then. World Eater tacticals are just dudes who haven't been through the ritual lobotomies yet. (Haven't earned the honor yet)

I'm pretty sure all World Eaters have The Nails. Even their heavy weapons guys like Lheor "Don't Call Me Firefist" Ukris

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

panascope posted:

I loved the reading of the google translated version of that ad.

Here's a picture from our game last night

So did Russ just body all of these clowns, or how did this go down.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ANAmal.net posted:

So did Russ just body all of these clowns, or how did this go down.

Actually Russ ate 4 disabling strikes and only managed to drop Horus in the very last round of the game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm pretty sure all World Eaters have The Nails. Even their heavy weapons guys like Lheor "Don't Call Me Firefist" Ukris

Yeah they all have the nails, they're just not all Berserkers despite that.

Also I love *why* he's called Firefist

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's no rule for anyone getting cult units as Troops. They did a design interview earlier this week where they said that was intentional.

So, they had that rule in the Index but have removed it from the Codex?

I figured the prohibitively high points cost for a squad of Noise Marines was enough of a limiter to stop spam, or are they cheaper in the Codex at least?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So how does this work

Do you have to have an internship before you're a berserker?

All heresy era world eaters veterans have the butcher's nails. How do some of them go "yeah but you know what I really want to do? Use this missile launcher"

Also who drives their rhinos?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

So how does this work

Do you have to have an internship before you're a berserker?

All heresy era world eaters veterans have the butcher's nails. How do some of them go "yeah but you know what I really want to do? Use this missile launcher"

Some amount of giggling and gibs I imagine.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

chutche2 posted:

Also who drives their rhinos?

Freed prisoners arrested for road rage related incidents .

They're constantly honking the horn. They're really annoying to go into battle with.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I kind of feel like expanding my GSC with a large tyranid beast. I like the idea of some large terrible beast the cult has cultivating over the years. Is there one that functions okay as a one off? Was thinking maybe the harpy crone box to cover the GSC lack of fliers.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I kind of feel like expanding my GSC with a large tyranid beast. I like the idea of some large terrible beast the cult has cultivating over the years. Is there one that functions okay as a one off? Was thinking maybe the harpy crone box to cover the GSC lack of fliers.

I've found stonecrusher carnifexes to be kind of disgusting

Exocrines are probably the best of the big beasties though. But them having to shoot the closest target without synapse is s problem

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For GSCs, I mean, the Genestealer Patriarch is pretty much designed for that role.

But if you want something bigger and badder, its hard to go wrong with a Hive Tyrant. You can kit them up lots of ways too. Trygons are also awesome and impressive and a personal favorite model of mine, and a Trygon Prime generates its own synapse too, same as the Tyrant. Being a burrowing beast it kinda makes sense as a secret ally too.

For something smaller that would still work on its own, a Lictor or a Zoanthrope could be fun?

Or yeah Harpy Crone if you want a serious flyer. No clue how good they are in 8th tho. Maybe just consider a Tyrant with wings?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 12, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I picked up one of the new Intercessor kits today and I absolutely adore how they do the helmets that attach to the thigh. I'm liking this kit a lot better than the Reivers.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

Grabbed a box of AoS Khorne Murder Slaughter Killer Bloods today. The spare parts from the Blood Warriors will make excellent 40k Berzerkers. Also bought the Triumvirate of the Imperium box for Greyfax but I'm thinking Celestine painted in the same colours as the Sigmarines I did would make a great general for them too. I held off on buying the Chaos Codex as I think I spent enough for one visit :/

Still a lot more stuff for less £ than a couple of years ago, especially the start collecting box.

Made some good progress on Greyfax, got my speed painting mojo back.

Need to tidy up the metals a bit and try again at dotting the pupil.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Naramyth posted:

Tell me about your guard list!

Sure!

Sorry about the formatting, but I don't have Battle Scrub in front of me.

This was for a 1750pt tournament. Only thing I'd change is drop the Leman Russ Laser Destroyer (it's seriously laughably bad) and replace it with a Manticore. Otherwise I love it.

In 2000pts, I'd add a Thunderbolt Heavy Fighter and call it a day.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
I need the thread's help. I am having fits with flyers. I am a scrub who plays Orks and Chaos Marines and doesn't want to run flyers to counter flyers.

Today I had two flyers against me and despite having first turn, they just went across the table and deleted two units. A second round of bad shooting meant they removed even more. Those flyers killed so much because they could kill anything, but I only have a few units that can possibly wound them. And it's too easy for the flyers to ignore terrain and just counter those units first turn.

So what is the best way to deal with them?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

jadarx posted:

So what is the best way to deal with them?

jadarx posted:

run flyers to counter flyers.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im not sure why you think running flyers is a no go zone but the only second choice you got is run units with the fly keyword like stormboyz.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im not sure why you think running flyers is a no go zone but the only second choice you got is run units with the fly keyword like stormboyz.

I'm not really refusing to use flyers. I just don't think they fit the scale of the game and would prefer not to run them. But that ship has long since sailed it seems.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Stormboys, Traktor Beams, Raptors, Warp Talons, Daemon Princes and Aegis Defense Lines. Or just bite the bullet and get a flyer of your own.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

jadarx posted:

I'm not really refusing to use flyers. I just don't think they fit the scale of the game and would prefer not to run them. But that ship has long since sailed it seems.

The same could be said about psykers.

Don't take them and see what happens when you have no counter to an entire phase of the game.

There's nothing wrong with flyers, they're part of every army. In addition, when you play someone who doesn't have one - it's even easier.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Yeast posted:

The same could be said about psykers.

Don't take them and see what happens when you have no counter to an entire phase of the game.

There's nothing wrong with flyers, they're part of every army. In addition, when you play someone who doesn't have one - it's even easier.

There are two entire armies without any psykers though. :confused:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Aren't Deffkoptas also FLY units? A squad of those could probably put the hurt on most flyers.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Most flyers aren't any better at shooting flyers than non-flyers are, there's only a few that get a hit bonus vs flyers but they usually have heavy weapons so get hit penalties for moving

The best way to kill flyers is in melee using models with the fly keyword

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

jadarx posted:

You don't need to run Flyer-slot Flyers to counter them. But either something that can charge them, ie, something with the Fly keyword and that can feasibly down a light vehicle in CC, or guns that get bonuses against flyers. For loyalists that's stuff like Stalkers, Tarantula Air Defense Batteries, or just stuff with enough volume of fire that you can still hit it with a -1.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

Stormboys, Traktor Beams, Raptors, Warp Talons, Daemon Princes and Aegis Defense Lines. Or just bite the bullet and get a flyer of your own.

Or use something with Las and take the -1 to hit to shoot at flyers. A hellbrute with las will still hit on a 4+. Predator with sponsons. Oblits. Order a Legion Sicaran from Forgeworld.

It sucks because you've got less options for your dedicated flyer than space marines, but a demon prince will get work done if you throw one into a stormtalon.

Or be super janky and get Skarbrand to assault the opponent's flyer. It will be unable to fall back and either have to drop to hover, so you can hit it normally, or crash at it's movement phase.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

General Olloth posted:

There are two entire armies without any psykers though. :confused:

4 if you count black templars and world eaters (though both of those at least got a deny the witch option).

koreban posted:

Or be super janky and get Skarbrand to assault the opponent's flyer. It will be unable to fall back and either have to drop to hover, so you can hit it normally, or crash at it's movement phase.
Just to clarify skarbrand cant fly so you grab some harpies and get skarbrand in the bubble of the flyer. Pretty hilarious regardless.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Why are you all treating them like normal anti-armor weapons are useless? A -1 to hit modifier isn't the end of the world. I get you could do some pretty solid damage with autocannon havocs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaphod42 posted:

Death Company is basically off-brand/loyalist Berserkers in the first place, so it checks out.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

Why are you all treating them like normal anti-armor weapons are useless? A -1 to hit modifier isn't the end of the world. I get you could do some pretty solid damage with autocannon havocs.

For chaos no, for orks that turns your 5+ into a 6+ which isn't a great look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Pendent posted:

For Chaos, I'm not. This game my havocs couldn't hit or put more than 1 wound on a flyer. The frustration was more due to the Konor mission for this week.

Orks are more my concern, due to the need for 6+. I'll look into Stormboyz or DeffKopta.