Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Shibawanko posted:

Just watched episode 12, I'm not a huge fan of most of this season so far (except Hawk, who is still cool), but this episode especially was some unwatchable, protracted bullshit. I hate it when the people I watch a show with start looking at their phones but that's what happened here. It was just super boring with all the mentions of unseen or unmemorable characters and poo poo dragging out ridiculously. I didn't like it. Is the next one better?
The next episode is much better, even those who didn't hate 12 seem to agree it was the weakest so far. 13 probably has the most laughs of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I thought 12 was hilarious, but it was probably still the weakest episode just because it kind of felt like a late season 2 episode in some ways. I'm not usually one to care about plot progression, but just overall that felt like the least meaningful episode of the season outside of the Sarah stuff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Sarah stuff and Drug Dealer Ninja are what I want to see more of. Everything else is basically James' season 2 plot for me. I'm the last of my friends actively watching this show and we started out by having a party of like 10 people gathering every week to see it. And that includes a guy that actually decorated his living room to sort of resemble the black lodge and another friend that has a dog named Agent Cooper. I'm finishing this thing out though and hopefully Frost/Lynch can turn it all around in the last stretch here. I doubt it, but they could.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

it's crazy to me how so many people who actually loved the first series so much that they'd model real life stuff in their life after Twin Peaks characters/themes and still not find something to love in The Return. I only watched the first series maybe 6-7 years ago but instantly fell in love with it and The Return has become the the thing I look forward to most each weekend with an insane fervor

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

pissdude posted:

it's crazy to me how so many people who actually loved the first series so much that they'd model real life stuff in their life after Twin Peaks characters/themes and still not find something to love in The Return. I only watched the first series maybe 6-7 years ago but instantly fell in love with it and The Return has become the the thing I look forward to most each weekend with an insane fervor

:same:

I even went back and rewatched 1 & 2 and I find the return much superior

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Solice Kirsk posted:

decorated his living room to sort of resemble the black lodge

I should do this.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
My wife just got red sheets and a zig zag comforter for our bed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it's mostly because it's not what they were expecting. It's certainly not what I was expecting (I wouldn't have thought Lynch would write his own character into the show as much as he did), but I also knew it was gonna be weird and probably a little plodding because of the number of episodes. If you were a big fan of the original series there isn't a lot of that in the new one. There's hints for sure, but 6 episodes into the original and you already had fully realized and interesting characters to follow along with the weird long shots and inane paranormal stuff.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
idk, almost everyone I know who was a fan of the original series is loving the new one

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, I can't wait to share this with my friends once it comes out on Blu-Ray. It's weirder than the original show, but that makes it great. Even new characters like the Mitchums, Candie, Bushnell and Dougie, I'm excited when they show up. That gang leader and his arm wrestling-based code of honour were amazing.

The Return has dropped most of the soap elements, and even the investigation is barely in this show. That's the main difference, I think. The rest is pretty much intact: Kooky characters, weird side plots, cherry pie, coffee and, of course, the evil that lurks in the woods.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think I might agree that The Return is better than the old series. Will have to wait for it to be over to know for sure though. But that first Audrey scene is still godawful

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A lot of people liked the soap opera elements the most, it's not surprising some would feel burned by getting an 18 hour David Lynch movie instead. However, lol if you didn't want an 18 hour David Lynch movie because it's perfect 💯

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 12, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Sarah stuff and Drug Dealer Ninja are what I want to see more of. Everything else is basically James' season 2 plot for me. I'm the last of my friends actively watching this show and we started out by having a party of like 10 people gathering every week to see it. And that includes a guy that actually decorated his living room to sort of resemble the black lodge and another friend that has a dog named Agent Cooper. I'm finishing this thing out though and hopefully Frost/Lynch can turn it all around in the last stretch here. I doubt it, but they could.

what do they think of FWWM

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm really wondering how FWWM will look in a post-The Return world. Stuff like the Woodsmen scene are going to feel different, and I still have no idea what to make of that ending bit with Cooper reaching out for Laura.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I liked FWWM more than series admittedly, as a package, and The Return definitely plays like FWWM is its prequel.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i see FWWM is more a sequel then a prequel to the original series in a way, its a changed timeline (or always a paradox) in which coop stops laura getting the ring until mike tosses it her. what happened to ray this week should tell you what it means for that last shot of coop and laura. i mean, all these "laura is the one" and the laura orb, her face in the opening credits. its setting her "return" up pretty big

edit: i include missing pieces in that.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 12, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Why are people saying the show dropped the soap elements? To me this really feels like a traditional soap, like All My Children. Piling on story-lines and focusing on individual moments more than plot progression were both big elements of that show.

That said there is definitely less of a focus on romance sub-plots.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pound for pound there really hasn't been much about this season that I've disliked, and I liked the original series a lot (even the late S2 stuff was mostly okay I think). Yeah David Lynch gave himself a bigger role, but he's also one of the best parts of the show - all the FBI stuff has been very OG Twin Peaks to me, and it's loving excellent. And something like episode 8 propels the show to a whole other level for me. There's something so utterly confident about the way it builds on the old series, that even scenes that don't serve a huge purpose in terms of plot can still be incredibly meaningful just because of the way they're constructed and acted. Like everything with Bobby.

It's also a stunningly beautiful show and the music choices have been outstanding. I have to say I find it hard to understand how someone who loved the original series can't at least find something to love here, unless the only thing they loved was Cooper. Which, granted, if I had to point an objective critical finger at The Return, it would be at the Dougie stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love it and Kyle MacLachlan plays it so goddamn well, but it is also just kind of the same gag over and over, so I can understand why some find it abrasive. They're wrong, but I understand.

So no, I don't think I would change much about the series so far, but it also depends on how it ends.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Sometimes I feel like the 12 episode build up for just having Dougie walking into the glass door was worth it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
The lack of Laura Palmer's theme every fifteen minutes has made The Return feel less like a soap for me. It's also made it feel waaaaaaay less cheesy. Like, invariably, every time I'm trying to get someone into TP, they mention the cheesy music. I think it's been handled perfectly in season three.

Edit lol called Laura Palmer sarah

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 12, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah as much as I like the music in the original series it can be seriously overbearing in a bad way at times, particularly with how often that one part of Laura's Theme is overused in the first few episodes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gordon Cole's increased role in this series has been one of my favourite things about it tbh

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This season's had way better sound design overall but I honestly miss the constant, overbearing music.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
id almost like someone to put overbearing lietmotifs over every scene just to see what it would be like

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Baloogan posted:

id almost like someone to put overbearing lietmotifs over every scene just to see what it would be like

a heavy leitmotif eh :thunk:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EU-T2CNpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g13Y5U7OQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dalIqQGO4GY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-OlKFQYU88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf57ZEDhmUg

this one is killing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-MF17dCsfY

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm conflicted on than season. It has all of the Davis Lynch stuff I like and some of the original in it, but I feel like it adds up to less than the sum of its parts. It feels meandering and undirected in a way nothing else I've seen from him is. Yes it has all the cool and weird abstract stuff, but in his other work there's usually still some narrative structure for you to cling to. Here I feel like it's more a humble of vignettes and while many of the scenes are striking and grab me, I don't feel like it comes together for me.

Maybe it'll all come together right at the end in a way that feels really enlightening but right now I feel like it's just a flood of ideas that is engaging but not coherent.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Everything in The Return hearkens back to a central idea- the passage of time. It isn't just a cute a nod to the "I'll see you in 25 years" line from the original show- what it means for such a large amount of time to pass is the unifying crux of the entire season. How and why people have or haven't changed, and what that means. Problems the past generations couldn't solve coming back to haunt and burden those in the present. The way society would prefer to forget about those who have aged or deteriorated, even if they once may have been charming and charismatic people we loved.

It all may not be quite as actively plot driven as the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer in the original series, but there's a very much a point to what's on screen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah the one thing that most stands out about the new season to me is how old it skews. Seasons 1 and 2 had a major focus on young people. Laura of course, Bobby, James, Donna, Audrey, Shelly are all under 20 and the series focuses heavily on their struggles with doing the right thing and finding their way in the world. Season 3 has basically only Richard, who is god drat nuts and almost as unmitigatedly villainous as any character in the series, and Becky & husband, who are very minor characters.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I think the last Audrey scene was meant to imply that she's a fictional character just barely recognizing that she's a fictional character and that the narrative is beyond her (our) control and I won't be surprised at all if she doesn't appear at all for the rest of the series.

"Billy" is Billy Zane.

This is all a tape recording.

Tomorrow's episode could invalidate that interpretation and I say GOOD. Art is cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Murderist posted:

I think the last Audrey scene was meant to imply that she's a fictional character just barely recognizing that she's a fictional character and that the narrative is beyond her (our) control and I won't be surprised at all if she doesn't appear at all for the rest of the series.

"Billy" is Billy Zane.

Tomorrow's episode could invalidate that interpretation and I say GOOD. Art is cool.
Well, there is that line where Charlie threatens to "end [her] story" too. We'll see where it goes.

Come to think of it there's that creepy line from Sarah too: "God drat bad story, isn't it Hawk?"

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

Well, there is that line where Charlie threatens to "end [her] story" too. We'll see where it goes.

Come to think of it there's that creepy line from Sarah too: "God drat bad story, isn't it Hawk?"

Are you implying that Sarah Palmer doesn't like season three?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno what to make of it, but it was kind of a random line that makes me wonder if we'll start seeing more references to "story" like that in these last few episodes.

IOW Murderist might be on to something- their take is one I hadn't heard before at least.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

And More posted:

Are you implying that Sarah Palmer doesn't like season three?

she just doesn't understand lynch's vision of twin peaks season 3 and why is she in twin peaks season 3 if shes doesn't like it? imo get out of the thread and the show if you don't fully embrace and understand lynch's masterful control of the audio visual medium

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I miss Duckman.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Murderist posted:

NO HAY BANDA!!!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Murderist posted:

"Billy" is Billy Zane.

Not the next episode. Episode 15.

I've been wondering whether this show is gonna break the fourth wall or not, too. I've decided I'm giving it to Episode 15. If Special Agent Dale Cooper suddenly whooshes back into his body or some REALLY weird poo poo starts happening with Dougie that ultimately results Special Agent Cooper's Return, or even if we just go back into the Lodge(s) and see Cooper there.

Mostly this has to do with the whole 3/15 thing back in Episode 3 when Cooper initially left the lodge. It's been put forth (here, I think?) that those numbers also correspond to the episode number that Cooper is returning on. There's the 8 hobos in episode 8, and other things.

I wouldn't be surprised, in a way, if the 4th wall gets broken. But I wouldn't really be looking forward to it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm a big proponent of the 3/15 theory, even if that's just wishful thinking because it would mean 3 hours with Coop. Would be pretty hilarious if it was the case, though, if far from the most effective way to foreshadow that information.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

At this point for me, getting Coop back isn't about returning to the nostalgic version of the character. The show has hammered home over and over again that there's no going back to the way anything used to be. I don't expect or even especially want Coop to instantly transform into the smoothly-confident special agent he once was, because that would be out of place in this story. For me, it's more just about wanting to see an unwell person start getting well.

Doppelganger stories create a very strong sense of a world out of order that needs to be set right-- imposters need to be exposed, lies need to be corrected with truth, people need to get back into their deserved places. Wanting Bad Coop to be banished to the lodge is a part of that genre impulse, and so is wanting to see Good Coop get his mind back, however damaged it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

:perfect: