Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, you know how they took the top elements off the front and rear wings?

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/montoya-servia-impressed-by-2018-indycar-short-oval-setup-940227/

Well, here's something interesting:

quote:

Said Montoya: “When you run wide open [in the new kit with higher downforce], the thing is like 7mph different between the corners and the straight. The other one [new kit with less downforce] is like 20mph different, so you get to see acceleration out of the corners and I think it's going to create better racing.

"It's interesting how you can run the same lap time and in one [downforce level] you're completely flat out and the other one you are lifting [off the throttle] in the turns.”

Servia stated: "It was very consistent, especially if we end up going on the lower downforce package. You have to drive it, which is fun. You have to lift and you're still doing the same lap speed [as with more downforce], which is interesting. Exact same lap speed."

(Kudos Lord Crapulus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That sounds fantastic. I swear I'll pay more attention to 2018.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The other key thing:

quote:

Servia also stated that IndyCar’s intention to create more of the downforce from the underside of the car was paying off.

"I was able to run a decent distance behind Juan Pablo, and the car just loses a little bit of grip but a four-tire kind of slide," he said. "It's not like the front loses a lot of grip or the rear loses a lot, which is the problem with the current car."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

2017 has been a rough year in a lot of ways, but it's cool to finally get objective proof that McLaren is the best racing team.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

2019 Fernando Alonso IndyCar champion is gunna own

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

wicka posted:

2017 has been a rough year in a lot of ways, but it's cool to finally get objective proof that McLaren is the best racing team.

I have spent my entire adult life hating McLaren but I'm finally mature enough to admit that I was wrong

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
McLaren is hard to hate, honestly

they've always been racers at the core and for a car manufacturer now that's kind of a throwback

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

They also make some of the sexiest GT cars on the planet

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I absolutely love what they've done with the 2018 aero kit. Not just the styling, but functionally, it's miles better for the racing. What they're saying about the short oval kit is exactly what needed to be done - and it's one thing to hear the acknowledgement but to see the work done? Awesome.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I'm already reaching a bit here, but let's say Alonso indeed comes to Indycar in 2019. Ignoring if he does or doesn't win another F1 title next year, how do you think it would compare to Mansell coming over? Aboit the same level of hype or more/less?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

WindyMan posted:

I'm already reaching a bit here, but let's say Alonso indeed comes to Indycar in 2019. Ignoring if he does or doesn't win another F1 title next year, how do you think it would compare to Mansell coming over? Aboit the same level of hype or more/less?

I think it's a bit different because Alonso is clearly on the downward swing of his career with a clear history of a few troublesome seasons whereas Are Nige made the jump when he was at the top of the world

maybe more hype today because of social media but definitely not the seismic career move Mansell made

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Potentially both.
He's been there before (assuming he does Indy again this year), but if McLaren can really nail their development and go from being "The 4th best team, but with lots of problems" to "the 4th best team if they get it right" to "Really competing for race wins" (and they probably aren't as far away from that as it seems - their chassis seems 3rd or 4th best right now, their engine is just so impossibly garbage it's gone through being funny, to not being funny and it's back out on the other side and is funny again) he could really catch fire.

I mean, if Indy is smart they can also play on the "He beat Michael Schumacher" card. It glosses over the fact the Renault's were by far the best cars in those fields by miles and Schumy was losing his magical bullshit powers, but still.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

He reminds me more of Emmo than Nigel.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, I think McLaren coming over full time would be a bigger deal. Alonso coming to Indy this year was huge since he was skipping Monaco, but old F1 driver leaving for IndyCar isn't that unusual. But when's the last time a team has come over like this?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

He reminds me more of Emmo than Nigel.

I agree with this, he's not the defending champ leaving the best team in F1 at that time to come over to America.

Emmo coming to the U.S. was still a big deal, but it seemed natural. Alonso coming over would still be huge for IndyCar, don't get me wrong. But Mansell was pretty once-in-a-lifetime.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/digitalglobes-geoeye1-satellite-captured-this-amazing-image-at-1231-picture-id538495948

Satellite shot of the 2016 Indy 500.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I agree with this, he's not the defending champ leaving the best team in F1 at that time to come over to America.

Emmo coming to the U.S. was still a big deal, but it seemed natural. Alonso coming over would still be huge for IndyCar, don't get me wrong. But Mansell was pretty once-in-a-lifetime.

Mansell-mania II would be if Lewis Hamilton bailed after winning another WDC and came over here.

The odds of that happening are zero. But that's about the only thing I could think of that would gather that level of attention. Alonso though, would be probably the biggest draw since then though. It wouldn't be "as" big, but it would actually cause people in europe to check out Indycar once in a while. (probably in the manner I turn on Blancpain or BTCC for the hell of it.)

In regards to McLaren? That would greatly help the series. I pray it happens. I wonder if they'd rival the big 3 teams or would they be kinda SPM/DCR level?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/896106867167969280

I really loved ABC/ESPN's coverage growing up until 2005 or so.

However...it feels like their time has passed. Maybe if offered the sort of coverage I saw them giving the "Month of May" during the 90's and 00's? That along with doing a few "30 for 30's" would help.

NBC would be better. But it would be nice if they offered some weekly programming. NASCAR gets a daily show, some specials, stuff of that note. I'd settle for even a fraction of that honestly.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I still don't like the retro feeder series styling of the new car but it looks like racing wise the design is spot on, which is excellent.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/896106867167969280

I really loved ABC/ESPN's coverage growing up until 2005 or so.

However...it feels like their time has passed. Maybe if offered the sort of coverage I saw them giving the "Month of May" during the 90's and 00's? That along with doing a few "30 for 30's" would help.

NBC would be better. But it would be nice if they offered some weekly programming. NASCAR gets a daily show, some specials, stuff of that note. I'd settle for even a fraction of that honestly.

I just hope whatever deal they sign includes some kind of streaming package that isn't tied to a cable subscription.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

wicka posted:

I just hope whatever deal they sign includes some kind of streaming package that isn't tied to a cable subscription.

This.

I've just started really getting into Indycar this year, and other than when I buy a ticket and attend a race, the only other way I watch is when Indycar puts the race up on their YouTube channel. I'm never gonna buy into cable or any other bloated garbage package, so the only way they're getting more out of me is if they set up a streaming service as you've said. Meanwhile, I'm just sittin here with my money waiting for that to happen. I brought this up a few times to (older) family members who are race fans, and they think I'm out of my mind and that if Indycar set up such a thing it would be a disaster and nobody would watch anymore. I'm pretty sure they're all just willfully ignorant of how easy streaming stuff can be, and don't want to see anything come up, even as an extra option, to supplant the way they've been tuning in for decades.

I live in Indianapolis, so I go to the Grand Prix and the 500 here of course, and added Gateway Motorsports Park to the roster this year for the Bommarito 500. Next year I may attend even more.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dudley posted:

I still don't like the retro feeder series styling of the new car but it looks like racing wise the design is spot on, which is excellent.

The retro aspect of the design makes it look like the 1000+HP tiny wing monsters of the 90s. "No airbox=feeder series" isn't a thing in the US.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Reynold posted:

I live in Indianapolis, so I go to the Grand Prix and the 500 here of course, and added Gateway Motorsports Park to the roster this year for the Bommarito 500. Next year I may attend even more.

Sorry you're still there. I was lucky and escaped Indiana.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Minto Took posted:

Sorry you're still there. I was lucky and escaped Indiana.

Indianapolis is really cool and Brown County State Park is great for riding a motorcycle through, but yeah the rest of the state is a wasteland. It is most unfortunate that Indy must be in Indiana.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

From growing up on the northeast side of Indianapolis, to Hell with much of everything there. Not even IMS makes me want to step foot in that state again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

From growing up on the northeast side of Indianapolis, to Hell with much of everything there. Not even IMS makes me want to step foot in that state again.

Lafayette is an okay town.

Also that small sliver of Speedway is good. (Dallara Factory, Mug N' Bun). But this is an accurate post.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Indianapolis is really cool and Brown County State Park is great for riding a motorcycle through, but yeah the rest of the state is a wasteland. It is most unfortunate that Indy must be in Indiana.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you in the strongest possible terms. Indianapolis is the worst place I've ever been in this country.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Lafayette is an okay town.

As a Purdue grad, lol no it's not

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

When wicka and I agree, you know poo poo's truth.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/SPMIndyCar/status/896476404782694400
Aleshin's out

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Come on Wickens.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The first domino has fallen.

https://twitter.com/indycar/status/896486610900054016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

While I love his testicular fortitude, especially qualifying at Indy, this isn't surprising.

Here's hoping Munoz gets that ride.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riJPs1d8Rm8

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

As a Purdue grad, lol no it's not

My memories are of being a visitor, seeing my grandparents and going to Purdue games (during the tiller era...). My grandmother passed this year so the likelihood of me ever returning are likely slim to none.

Orignal Frozen Custard, Triple XXX, and Pizza King all hold special memories to me of being with my family.

gret posted:

Come on Wickens.

Yeah I'm really hoping we see him cross the pond. fingers crossed.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Sadly we all know it's gonna be Saavedra for the rest of the year :saddowns:

Also other than IMS and Main St in Speedway the rest of Indiana is garbage (but still not as bad as the entirety of Ohio)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I can't really speak for West Lafayette, I've only been there twice and not for a minute sober, but putting peanut butter on a cheeseburger is a god drat masterstroke.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
There are plenty of places in Indy that are packed with good food, craft beer/cocktails, and fun stuff to do. Other than Main St. Speedway there's Fountain Square, Irvington, Massachusetts Ave., Broad Ripple, and that's just the more popular concentrated areas. There are a lot of places around town hidden away that are worth checking out. I mean, I'm not that big of a proponent of city livin, but if your complaint about Indy is that it sucks except for that one halfway developed street that has some beer and sandwiches, you don't know what you're talking about.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wicka posted:

I can't really speak for West Lafayette, I've only been there twice and not for a minute sober, but putting peanut butter on a cheeseburger is a god drat masterstroke.

I've never been to Indiana, and I thought Mike Pence was the reason I will never go there, but I've discovered a new reason right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've had that cheeseburger. It's gross.

• Locked thread