Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

its all nice on rice posted:

What are CA's thoughts on the raider?

I think zero sucked some dude off on Craigslist missed connections who had one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, Raiders are cool, they can keep up with a Cadillac CTS.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Why oh why are there exclusive colors for only certain countries. C'mon BMW you bastards, if this color scheme was available in the US, I'd be there tomorrow filling out the paper work, but no you jerks, "It's a UK color only." (bastards)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Glitter on a turd, sorry about your massive vision impairment.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Slavvy is over here with his perfect vision, not needing proper headlights at night, and being able to see the ugly bike we all think is beautiful.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Slavvy is over here with his perfect vision, not needing proper headlights at night, and being able to see the ugly bike we all think is beautiful.

The color scheme is only on 1/5th of the bike. The rest is dark grey. What's the point?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is going to come as a shock to you but the color scheme includes all colors on a bike, and how they work together. This includes the black parts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

This is going to come as a shock to you but the color scheme includes all colors on a bike, and how they work together. This includes the black parts.

It looks like someone forgot to put the fairing on. :colbert:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm looking to replace the Bandit some lady knocked me off of. I used the bandit as both a daily commuter and distance tourer. So far I'm looking at either the 1290 Super Duke GT, or the BMW S1000XR. I've ridden both and like them about the same though I like the seating position on the BMW a little better. "Lipstick on a pig" and all, but i don't care, you're not going to have to ride it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a gently caress ugly jumble of random parts stuck together in a vaguely bike-looking shape.

e: there's also acres of black triangle which is always a bad thing and an alarming trend in bikes following cars when they really don't need to. If you're going to make a naked-ish bike, why not make the actual working parts good looking rather than falling back on the crutch of just sticking some vaguely 'styled' black plastic on there? Like the whole point is being able to see the mechanical poo poo.

Skreemer posted:

I'm looking to replace the Bandit some lady knocked me off of. I used the bandit as both a daily commuter and distance tourer. So far I'm looking at either the 1290 Super Duke GT, or the BMW S1000XR. I've ridden both and like them about the same though I like the seating position on the BMW a little better. "Lipstick on a pig" and all, but i don't care, you're not going to have to ride it.

Get the BMW, they have much better warranty/customer service and logistics.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 11, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Revvik posted:

Friend of mine is selling his Midnight Warrior (the one I babysat over the winter) because he keeps having kids. It's a pretty unique 'cruiser' experience; I think he's an idiot for trying to get rid of it and out of motorcycles altogether.

I will say when I got my pops the Corbin seat for his with a backrest the feet out in front started to make all kinds of sense. I also got him the later model stock Yamaha bars that had a little more reach back, I think an additional 2 inches. That bike is now comfy and hauls rear end. Too bad he's gone old man Harley and put a straight pipe exhaust on it. I preferred it when the factory exhaust was on there. Didn't look great but wasn't obnoxious loud either.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Had a rolling blackout at my house so I decided to leave and go ride. Cops were directing traffic at the stoplights and as I was waved forward I almost get tboned by this fucker that wasn't slowing down or anything. It wasn't like a long road and they didn't realize there's a light but it's dead, it's a freeway intersection and they had just gone through an intersection with a cop directing traffic there too. :wtc: Sirens, waving flashlights, flares, and everyone else stopping and this person completely oblivious.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Chichevache posted:

It looks like someone forgot to put the fairing on. :colbert:

One less thing to break when you crash.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Skreemer posted:

I have the gray and red version of the S1000XR and love it. 7100 miles and zero issues, hoping for many more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Skreemer posted:

I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you care about wheelies, I'd check the TC on the SDGT for supporting wheelies with the TC on. I love my XR, 42k miles and counting, will do first valve adjust at about 45k. Done a lot of commuting, distance, track, and fast street riding on it, both solo and two up and it pretty much rules across the board.

I've thrown a pile of money at it, including tractive suspension, Brembo MC, had sargent make a super high seat for me, cut the handlebar down, engine guards, top case, fuzeblock, puig windscreen, but it didn't really need any of these things besides the top case and the windscreen. Rest was all cause I just like spending money on my bikes.

I think the GT V-twin is probably a little more suited to street use but the dual direction quickshifter and all the toys on the XR plus the insane torque spread offset that quite a bit.

I really want a metallic blue one but can't justify spending 3k on plastics and plastics only.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

It's a gently caress ugly jumble of random parts stuck together in a vaguely bike-looking shape.
Nearly every modern bike is this. There are like 3 exceptions.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just went to Newport, Rhode Island for the first time and I'd say 95% of the riders don't wear helmets, maybe 50% of the passengers do though. Strangely, the only people consistently wearing helmets and full gear were the young hooligans on dual sports. I also saw at least 5 guys on scooters or harleys riding with one foot out dragging on the ground at ~10 to 15mph for long periods of time, and still don't know how they haven't worn through their shoes or more likely sandals.

Maybe everyone dies from no helmet before they learn slow speed control? I wonder if it's possible to find injuries/deaths there per 1k miles ridden compared to other states.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I wanna go on record as saying in my msf course, my instructor told us to keep our feet off the pegs and close tp the ground as we lift off, putting them on the pegs once we have speed/balance. Maybe these guys got similar instruction and take it too far?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Bananana posted:

I wanna go on record as saying in my msf course, my instructor told us to keep our feet off the pegs and close tp the ground as we lift off, putting them on the pegs once we have speed/balance. Maybe these guys got similar instruction and take it too far?

The bolded part happens pretty much immediately once you start moving so no, they're just idiots.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah as soon as I have enough speed to not fall over (so like 0.5 seconds), it's feet up.

People look like a world class dildo when they keep their feet down through intersections and such.

I tend to worry very little about how I look when I ride (ask me about my 87 elite), but there are a couple things that to me anyway, just scream "I don't know how to ride" and foot dragging is one of them.

The other being the sharp front end dive and rebound seen when someone uses the front brake for the first time in a long time at a slow speed.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Riders not wearing gear is awesome. I leave mine on my bike with no worries of it being stolen

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MomJeans420 posted:

Just went to Newport, Rhode Island for the first time and I'd say 95% of the riders don't wear helmets, maybe 50% of the passengers do though. Strangely, the only people consistently wearing helmets and full gear were the young hooligans on dual sports. I also saw at least 5 guys on scooters or harleys riding with one foot out dragging on the ground at ~10 to 15mph for long periods of time, and still don't know how they haven't worn through their shoes or more likely sandals.

Maybe everyone dies from no helmet before they learn slow speed control? I wonder if it's possible to find injuries/deaths there per 1k miles ridden compared to other states.

I drag a foot when I have a cramp sometimes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I laugh at Harley riders who stick both feet out all the way through an intersection like a toddler on a balance bike

Meanwhile I own and never even put a foot down cause I balance so good

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Meanwhile I own and never even put a foot down cause I balance so good

It wasn't looking stupid I was wondering about, it's breaking your ankle or wearing through a shoe. It's not something I really see in LA, especially not repeatedly in 5 days, harley or not. I do play a fun game of waiting as long as possible to put my foot down at intersections, mostly because it feels like a pain to put it down then get going again. One day I'm going to fall over doing that and look really cool.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I get the same thing and do a supermoto foot forward thing if I'm on the freeway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I get (mildly) embarrassed when my feet are slide at all when I'm starting/stopping. WTF are they thinking?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've done this once or twice before. I always wonder what drivers behind me think as I suddenly kick a leg out andbwoggle it about. :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Bananana posted:

I've done this once or twice before. I always wonder what drivers behind me think as I suddenly kick a leg out andbwoggle it about. :v:

"Spontaneous Hokey-Pokey Syndrome"

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bonus of being short - I can fully let my feet down while riding (highways, street, whatever) and not touch the ground, great for really long rides when I just wanna unfold em for a bit

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

M42 posted:

Bonus of being short - I can fully let my feet down while riding (highways, street, whatever) and not touch the ground, great for really long rides when I just wanna unfold em for a bit

Haha woah that sounds like it would feel weird

I was mostly joking about the not putting my feet down ever thing but it does become a fun commuter game where the goal is to stay fully on the bike as long as possible without touching the ground

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Just went to Newport, Rhode Island for the first time and I'd say 95% of the riders don't wear helmets, maybe 50% of the passengers do though. Strangely, the only people consistently wearing helmets and full gear were the young hooligans on dual sports.

As you drive south into Providence, RI from Massachusetts on any given weekend, you will see hordes of cruiser and "custom chopper" riders heading northbound on 95 pull over onto the shoulder to pull a skid lid out of their saddle bags and put it on before they cross the state line (MA has a helmet law).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha woah that sounds like it would feel weird

I was mostly joking about the not putting my feet down ever thing but it does become a fun commuter game where the goal is to stay fully on the bike as long as possible without touching the ground

I do this. Sometimes I can come to a full stop for a couple of seconds before I have to put a foot down when I'm in the groove.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I do this. Sometimes I can come to a full stop for a couple of seconds before I have to put a foot down when I'm in the groove.

I do this a lot too. Recently I got to ride a trials bike and I discovered that it's no easier to do it on one of those which leads me to believe a trials rider could stay upright indefinitely on pretty much anything.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well yeah. They clearly don't have to worry about gravity like the rest of us.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah, one of my fun games is "how long can I go in traffic without putting my foot down". It's actually a pretty useful drill in forward planning.

I have a problem with my knee or hip locking up if I sit in the same position for too long but sticking a leg out seems to make it worse (I suspect because of the drag pulling my leg out unnaturally) so I just stand on the pegs for a while, which I realise does make me look like I'm presenting like a baboon to following traffic.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's a good way to get some tailgaters to back off though, most people get a bit unsure when it comes to peg-standers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lowering the center stand is the best IMO.

Well, second to using your bike for what it's for and just brapping the gently caress out of there instead of getting tailgated but that isn't always an option.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Lowering the center stand is the best IMO.

wait, while moving?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

wait, while moving?

Spray of sparks? Idk.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Spray of sparks? Idk.

Yeah that's what I suspected but that's just :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

The Bananana posted:

Please stop gangbanging my neighborhood. We have enough problems with Shins fighting Femurs for turf as it is.