Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Indeed, having Renne, a super genius who is slightly smarter than Joshua, who is also experienced with intense trauma coping mechanisms, must have been the perfect solution to get Pater Mater working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wait... the Pater-Mater Star Door mentions DNA in it... either I forgot or they never said it, but are archaisms robots, organisms, or cyborgs? Or all of the above? Or do they vary based on what type they are?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Junpei posted:

Wait... the Pater-Mater Star Door mentions DNA in it... either I forgot or they never said it, but are archaisms robots, organisms, or cyborgs? Or all of the above? Or do they vary based on what type they are?

A good rule of thumb; whenever you see DNA mentioned in a video game, just mentally substitute it with "magic".

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I think my favorite thing to nitpick about that door is Kurdalegon Alloy, and how it sounds like they had to create the stuff for their Gospel replicas.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junpei posted:

DNA was just a figure of speech there. They wanted Pater-Mater to have the same basic structure and capabilities as all the other Gordias-class giant robots that apparently exist.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've blazed through most of Chapter 6 and have officially caught up to the LP!

- I didn't realize that the discussions for who to take were both for the monochrome schoolhouse, so I took Agate and Estelle for both parts as well.
- Estelle is definitely seeming pretty weak by now, as enemy stats increase so much that small differences in STR make a big difference. But I have discovered that with the Super Gladiator Belt, she can recover 20 CP if she hits 3 enemies with an attack so I can spam crafts as long as the enemies group up enough.
- Without the 40k provided by the Monochrome Schoolhouse chests, I wouldn't have been able to afford the star door without a lot of grinding for sepith to sell. I only had 57k before I opened it.
- I didn't really care much for the Maybelle has a Comic Misunderstanding skit.
- I wasn't much a fan of the orphan door either, at least at first, because I was expecting some sappy "the real stone of happiness is inside you the whole time" aesop. It is still unclear what really happened, since according to Mary's perspective, she's lost overnight, but when she wakes up, it seems like she was only missing a short while, definitely not lost overnight. But the dragon mentions the Aureole and Gorgon which she hasn't heard of.
- I made good use of the Happiness Stone on Anelace with 8-Leaf Blitz to get my Wind Sepith up, which was very low after buying a couple high-level wind quartz and unlocking slots.
- The Gorgon Laser CAN still Petrify in the Renne door fight. I died to it.
- I didn't take Tita with me to Renne's door, but since the only change is that she says "Umm..." it doesn't seem to matter.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's really nice that Carna warns you that Alicia is the next fight

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Pardon the double post, but the latest update has been released. Not sure how recently it was, but the Quartz breaking bug is fixed and there's a new Turbo feature, which seems to move things slightly faster

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

the Quartz breaking bug is fixed

:woop:

two more short ones today

I also just unlocked the next level of Sun Door 3's arena. so I need somebody to pick a party.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Really Pants posted:

'The truth of my identity is already within your grasp. My number reveals all.'

Bleublanc is Enforcer no. 10, so yeah, this is a pretty big hint.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It was of course entirely predictable that Kurt would be the third opponent, taking the place of Anelace who is in the party. I knew that he had a nasty knockback move, so on my first turn I had Anelace use Sylpharion to boost everyone’s move by 2.

I did check the searchlight guessing it was where more sepith was hidden, but it only is interactable from one spot, and I missed it.

Luckily the team I picked out for the guardian was heavy on physical damage, so the Bleublanc star door was pretty easy.

So Mystery Person X was the real Bleublanc. At first I wondered why the news called them X, Y and Z, but then I realized it was probably to prevent a potential libel suit. Still though, since Roman numerals or the equivilant of them is a thing, the news should have guessed that Bleublanc confirmed that X was the right answer even if they didn’t understand the meaning of “his number”.

As for party... let's go with Team Hasn't Been Used In A While (Not You Josette): Olivier, Joshua, and Reis.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It's a good thing Kurt gets to look like a badass in Schera's moon door, because man, bad things happen to him every time he's on screen in the main story.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

nrook posted:

It's a good thing Kurt gets to look like a badass in Schera's moon door, because man, bad things happen to him every time he's on screen in the main story.

Except for that one time where the bad thing was completely staged.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

It's worth mentioning that Kurt has Shadow Spear as a craft so make sure you pack instant death protection.

I do like how you get Bleublanc's backstory even though it doesn't matter who he used to be. For now anyway, this is Trails after all.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Pfft, look at some of you acting like any if those backstories were actually true and that Bleublanc isn't just screwing with everyone as per usual. :colbert:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ultrafilter posted:

Bleublanc is Enforcer no. 10, so yeah, this is a pretty big hint.

Care to elaborate if you have any idea? I have no clue how 10 could link to Bleublanc beyond B declaring "I'm an Enforcer, who cares about details like who I was before that"

Super Jay Mann posted:

Pfft, look at some of you acting like any if those backstories were actually true and that Bleublanc isn't just screwing with everyone as per usual. :colbert:

That's from an Imperial agency though? Regardless of Bleublanc trolling them I doubt that all three of X, Y and Z could have been Bleublanc's fabrications.
You'd need a time machine and if nothing else, you'd think that Ouroborous wouldn't let him access it just to troll people.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 13, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

The Chronicle is going to feel pretty silly when they realize only one of those three could be a number.

Except it's a lovely little piece of misdirection. WE know the Enforcers use roman numerals, but I doubt that's common knowledge.

Since the entries are numbered already, as "Theory 1" etc., that leaves the majority of people focusing on those and wondering what they mean.

Of course, even among those who would know that the "X" is the number in question, what would they do with the info? As a master of disguise, I doubt that even his Bleublanc "look" is his original appearance. You've got a bit of trivia to build a profile on someone who's nuts in the first place.

Bleublanc is extremely facepunchable in many ways, but I really do enjoy his riddles.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I don't know. For all his faults, he's got a sense of fair play. I'm not saying he's not trolling, but the beauty of it (hurr) is that there's no way to know.

Edit:

Omobono posted:

Care to elaborate if you have any idea? I have no clue how 10 could link to Bleublanc beyond B declaring "I'm an Enforcer, who cares about details like who I was before that"

Just to be explicit about it, X = 10. In other words, he's claiming the first profile they mentioned.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

And now I'm feeling like a moron.

On other thoughts, I wonder if that noblewoman joined up with Ouroborous.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Omobono posted:

you'd think that Ouroborous wouldn't let him access it just to troll people.

I don't think you've been paying attention

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Except it's a lovely little piece of misdirection. WE know the Enforcers use roman numerals, but I doubt that's common knowledge.

It must be knowledge to many people because they introduce themselves with roman numerals and no one in the group goes "Huh, what do you mean you're Number Vee Eye Eye Eye?". Not even Estelle.

quote:

Of course, even among those who would know that the "X" is the number in question, what would they do with the info? As a master of disguise, I doubt that even his Bleublanc "look" is his original appearance. You've got a bit of trivia to build a profile on someone who's nuts in the first place.

I think the chronicle has specific people in mind when they say X, Y, Z. Stuff like:

quote:

Immediately after leaving his client behind, Y received a terrible piece of news:
His lover, the daughter of a respected family, had been killed in a traffic accident.

is way too specific to just be a "could describe anyone".

EDIT: You're right in that he might be hard to find even knowing his previous identity, but a master strategist like Cassius could probably figure some way to use that.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 13, 2017

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Could Y and Z be other important people in the series?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

about the missing lady

:iiam:

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I'm disappointed that the suspect list didn't include Amorous Prince Z.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
You mean Amorous Prince W. Who they couldn't print in the article for fear of libel :v:

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

The thing I've always found notable about Bleublanc's door is how it says Con Artist X is from a country in the south. While this might be reaching, I've always thought it's the same country Schera is from since I remember some dialogue in SC that mentioned she's from a southern country.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
All of this fighting through the various layers has me wondering - why? Are we burning the self-styled "Lord of Phantasma" a way out? Or are they just constantly trying to kill us as hard as they can, limited by force projection?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

All of this fighting through the various layers has me wondering - why? Are we burning the self-styled "Lord of Phantasma" a way out? Or are they just constantly trying to kill us as hard as they can, limited by force projection?

He's already been out, though. He was on the airship in the prologue, before the cube even appeared. That also seems to nix certain theories about who or what the Lord is.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That also seems to nix certain theories about who or what the Lord is.

We can probably rule out Amorous Con Artist X, for one.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The Lord of Phantasma is just a godly creepy sheep.

Estelle, get your stick.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Really Pants posted:

I also just unlocked the next level of Sun Door 3's arena. so I need somebody to pick a party.

Okay... I think you're going to want some people who are really fast, can take a bit of punishment, and equip any physical attacker with anti-blind and any casters with anti-sleep protection. I hate to think what the Nightmare arena will be like.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Okay... I think you're going to want some people who are really fast, can take a bit of punishment, and equip any physical attacker with anti-blind and any casters with anti-sleep protection. I hate to think what the Nightmare arena will be like.

Even if you can't guess what the final fight is, you won't actually be surprised.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

You also want to give some ADF-boosting stuff on the guys in the front.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some Numbers posted:

Even if you can't guess what the final fight is, you won't actually be surprised.

It's Cassius, isn't it?
With Bleublanc (as in, the actual Bleublanc) teleporting in somehow to provide commentary.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

It must be knowledge to many people because they introduce themselves with roman numerals and no one in the group goes "Huh, what do you mean you're Number Vee Eye Eye Eye?". Not even Estelle.

Sorry, I meant that in the sense of "Bleublanc being "Enforcer Number X" rather than "Phantom Thief B."" In other words, the Ourbouros connection isn't common knowledge (I don't think.)

Edit: Another thought I had in the shower:
I doubt they're saying "X" literally, but "10" and the "X" is a stylistic choice that only really pops up in text. Do we even have an in-universe written example where they've referred to themselves like that?

I kind of wonder if it's a translation thing in general, like how SpaceDrake said that Kevin's Kansai(?) accent was translated to sound kind of southern/Texan? I don't know enough Japanese to know for sure if this is even a thing, but a... more formal way of saying a number? That sounds silly now that I type it out, but who knows? :v:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 14, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sorry, I meant that in the sense of "Bleublanc being "Enforcer Number X" rather than "Phantom Thief B."" In other words, the Ourbouros connection isn't common knowledge (I don't think.)

Edit: Another thought I had in the shower:
I doubt they're saying "X" literally, but "10" and the "X" is a stylistic choice that only really pops up in text. Do we even have an in-universe written example where they've referred to themselves like that?

I kind of wonder if it's a translation thing in general, like how SpaceDrake said that Kevin's Kansai(?) accent was translated to sound kind of southern/Texan? I don't know enough Japanese to know for sure if this is even a thing, but a... more formal way of saying a number? That sounds silly now that I type it out, but who knows? :v:

His title in japanese is "執行者No.X" , so they use roman numerals there as well.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
I say go Olivier, Mueller and Tita for Sun Door 3.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Tamba posted:

His title in japanese is "執行者No.X" , so they use roman numerals there as well.

Yeah, I'm sticking to NFC then. I could maybe see Bleublanc saying "Enforcer Number X" (with the literal "X"), but imagining Walter saying "Enforcer Number V-I-I-I"... I couldn't take him seriously. At least until he exploded my head or something. :v:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I got really confused by this part. I got the reference to Bleublanc's number, but thought his number was 1.

See, the enforcer numbers match up to the major arcana of the Tarot. The correspondence is generally extremely unsubtle; Joshua gets XIII, or Death, which is about as blunt as you can get. So I figured Bleublanc had to be I, the Magician, right? I mean, he's a magician.

It turns out... no. X is the Wheel of Fortune, which I suppose fits just as well.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

nrook posted:

I got really confused by this part. I got the reference to Bleublanc's number, but thought his number was 1.

See, the enforcer numbers match up to the major arcana of the Tarot. The correspondence is generally extremely unsubtle; Joshua gets XIII, or Death, which is about as blunt as you can get. So I figured Bleublanc had to be I, the Magician, right? I mean, he's a magician.

It turns out... no. X is the Wheel of Fortune, which I suppose fits just as well.

The Magician's identity is already known and it's indeed not Bleublanc.

"Death" for Joshua isn't as blunt as you'd expect, actually. I mean, yeah, it signifies death, but it's also the card of transformation and development, hinting at Joshua's evolution from a broken "doll" to a person who's actively channeling Estelle when the real thing isn't around.

Likewise, "The Devil" for Renne might at first allude to her axe-crazy side, but it's also the card of bondage and restriction, fitting a person who still seems chained to her past until she ran into Miss Sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yeah, I'm sticking to NFC then. I could maybe see Bleublanc saying "Enforcer Number X" (with the literal "X"), but imagining Walter saying "Enforcer Number V-I-I-I"... I couldn't take him seriously. At least until he exploded my head or something. :v:

I'd imagine they're written with Roman numerals but still pronounced as if it was in Japanese.

• Locked thread