Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Excellent thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

TwoStepBoog posted:

im still confused by the helicopter deaths
did the helicopter just fail or did i miss something during the 20 minutes i was watching soccer

i dunno, there was some tweet saying it was "linked to white nationalist march" that got deleted, not sure if it was supposed to be implying that the nazis had something to do with it or if by "linked" they mean "were observing from the air"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
last bit of ACLU before watching anime with nazis in it

quote:

Government can limit some protected speech by imposing "time, place and manner" restrictions. This is most commonly done by requiring permits for meetings, rallies and demonstrations. But a permit cannot be unreasonably withheld, nor can it be denied based on content of the speech. That would be what is called viewpoint discrimination -- and that is unconstitutional.

When a protest crosses the line from speech to action, the government can intervene more aggressively. Political protesters have the right to picket, to distribute literature, to chant and to engage passersby in debate. But they do not have the right to block building entrances or to physically harass people.

https://www.aclu.org/other/freedom-expression-aclu-position-paper

the entire link is p good tbh

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TwoStepBoog posted:

im still confused by the helicopter deaths
did the helicopter just fail or did i miss something during the 20 minutes i was watching soccer

noone knows, apparently it was an accident.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Chris James 2 posted:

They think everyone must have free speech or nobody has free speech

And of course ignored the minorities saying from the start "this will turn into a riot on their part and not be just free speech"

minorities are generally the ones who suffer from hate speech the most hth

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

I grew up in rural WV and saw some serious White Nationalist poo poo.

It wasn't just normalized it was part of everyday discussion for some folks.

a somewhat more denuded form of that sentiment is prevalent in all levels of society throughout the south

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

3 killed? 2 of those were helicopter people. They just crashed, right? Dying in a crash isn't killed. Unless someone shot it out of the sky.

I heard a rumor that a Nazi drone collided w the chopper but just a rumor

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh well that clears things up, guess nobody is really to blame!
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/896533180139814913
https://twitter.com/TheMadDimension/status/896532582497529856

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

holy loving :vince: :wow:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

XK posted:

lol it's an old person that confused the gas and brake.

umm no

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awy0cI_4RP4

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Phi230 posted:

The cops are flying drones there?

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Phi230 posted:

i heard that one of the cops said "i'm going to kill these white supremacists"

and then promptly flew the helicopter into the earth

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

"UNITE THE RIGHT"

"EXCEPT THAT GUY! gently caress HIM IN PARTICULAR FOR EXECUTING ON OUR RHETORIC"

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

:nallears:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Remember when he was so upset when 4chan edited his comics to be pro-nazi? Now he's embracing it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/896445078687948800

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/896537801155637249

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

also, every other day in 2017

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

don't they sometimes charge fleeing felons with any deaths occurring as a result of police mobilization to apprehend them?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

passionate dongs posted:

My uncle's helicopter works at nintendo and he said the cops in it died because they found the triforce in ocarina of time

a corrupt official
Sep 25, 2015

Plinkey posted:

go on....

Here is my unsupported by quotes as of yet thesis:

The NYT, much like Trump, has reality shaping powers, and they have used them -- for the past two decades -- making the obviously morally bankrupt case that "both sides are the same". This led them to making subtle and less subtle editorial choices all designed to let republicans off the hook, to never call them out on blatant lies, in a way they would leftists -- in order to seem balanced, which must feel nice I guess, and plus no one wants to think of their friends as a nazi enabler even if he is. One boring but important example of this tendency manifested during the Obama years is the way NYT presented bills that were fillibustered as "failled bills", barely giving any narrative space to the fact that republicans killed long-standing political norms by making it routine; and also not explaining the reality of the reasons Obama couldn't achieve a lot of his goals: they repubs changed the rules of political play, and the refs were like tying their shoes for 10 minutes straight. Erasing things like that, making the republican party pay no price for that, killed a whole bunch of very important political norms (also developed in republicans an apparent lust for political norm blood). Also Democrats would be hung by trees, with the Times tightening the rope, if they tried that debt ceiling bullshit for one single second.

another major factor is that The NYT hates Hillary so god damned much, the floors there hate her, the curtains wish to humiliate her, and they sold the email story to the public as a "thing", and they had no ladder to climb down that particular tree -- despite the obvious fact that there simply was no Hillary emails controversy. Hillary's name being put next to shady-sounding words on the NYT front page WAS the Hillary Email Story. I mean sure the FBI did a whole show and dance, twirling until they caught loving fire and all the spies started calling reporters speaking none sense basically (I think that was around March? but things get hazy), but if you think that happens without NYT blowing the sails then I guess we just disagree about how your country works/worked. So they thought Hillary is going to be president, and this is like the part of a boss fight where you can hit the big boss. And that is not how journalism is supposed to work, I think.

I think these were two major reasons -- completely illegitimate, un-journalistic reasons I might add -- for the NYT 2016 election coverage, which was hugeeeeeely favorable to donald trump (you have to remember that he is literally one of the worst people in the entire world to be president, literally you and I would be far better presidents I don't even care who reads this it's 99.99% true). During the 2016 election, the NYT has made every possible editorial (note - editorial, their investigative work is, obv, still the best in the world) choice to prop up donald trump whenever possible. I suppose I have to, like, prove that, by going through the archives from convention (the point in which "this is real 100% he's the candidate", also adjacent to gold star parents thing) to pussytapegate (at which point I can see how you think you're playing in a sandbox, not that you should, but that's not where the real problem is) but uggghhh.

The "stretched the truth" thing is a quote I distinctly remember (and in my head attribute to the Times, but maybe I'm wrong?) in which the times said something very similar to "donald trump stretched the truth when he claimed hillary clinton 'never did anything for children in her life'" - which is, like, crazy. I can't loving find it anywhere though, and I can't seem to operate the "track changes in the NYT website. I found it in the past, pretty quickly too, unless I am now fully imagining things. Anyways good thing I didn't pitch this to anyone yet, huh? I don't really have any archive skills though, and my brother also distinctly remembers me showing it to him on my iphone when they wrote it because I was freaking the gently caress out throughout the entirety of 2016 and especially around that time. I remember it as a throwaway line in the trump-mexican president-meeting coverage, and if anyone here exposed to this message remembers it too -- please say so. If you can find it that's even better (I'll be sad if it's not the NYT but if I can't find it at all I'll, well, I'll just be very very frustrated). I have to go to bed but if there are no future updates on this matter I failed and/or am a fraud.

(Oh but the rest of the NYT-did-this theory totally holds up without the quote, I'll just that in order to prove it I'll have to do allll this worrrrrrrrrrk and I'm so tired).

FAKE EDIT:

FOUND IT YESSSSS IT'S AS BAD AS I REMEMBER. Also the public editor adressed the matter, and it turns out the NYT public editors' articles did. not. age. well. Turns out it wasn't related to the mexico trip at all ha ha *collapses*

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

more Talking Heads pls

the world needs Big Suit now more than ever

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deki posted:

Remember when he was so upset when 4chan edited his comics to be pro-nazi? Now he's embracing it.

yeah that always confused me, i guess he was always a racist shitsucker.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

what you payin bby :wink:

i told you since you started with me, you ain't no ho

you ain't gotta dance; you make money move

never sleep on your worth

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
fuk it's 3 am here and I'm drinking and you're fixin to get all rahowa acorss the pond then?

wtf is going on tell me

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

They just dropped their withdrawal medicine on the floor, because of the opioid crises, and hit the wrong pedal. Honest mistake.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grem posted:

ACLU is pretty consistent in defending the rights of everyone regardless of what they believe.

I'm a paying ACLU member (and probably will remain so) but I intensely disagree with them on the Nazi thing

Fascist speech is dangerous, always always always always, and it must be suppressed. It can't be allowed to spread in society, fascist speech and ideology specifically exploits the weaknesses of a tolerant society (especially obvious when you see that the ACLU goes to bat for them) to get themselves a platform and recruit members. They don't care about the free exchange of ideas, they don't care about intellectual rigor, they will say and do anything to get the message out and once they have enough followers/power will instantly crush free speech.

The problem (and why I'm giving the ACLU something of a pass on this, personally) is that deciding what exactly is fascist speech is hard to do in legal writing. Obviously incitement (and hate speech generally) is covered, but fascist speech extends beyond that.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

#damson

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Deki posted:

garrison makes baghdad bob look like a tower of rectitude and veracity

as do many republicans these days, actually

the shamelessness of the propaganda is breathtaking

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

small rear end head

big rear end suit

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah that always confused me, i guess he was always a racist shitsucker.

:20bux: changes a lot of people

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

passionate dongs posted:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

passionate dongs posted:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm a paying ACLU member (and probably will remain so) but I intensely disagree with them on the Nazi thing

Fascist speech is dangerous, always always always always, and it must be suppressed. It can't be allowed to spread in society, fascist speech and ideology specifically exploits the weaknesses of a tolerant society (especially obvious when you see that the ACLU goes to bat for them) to get themselves a platform and recruit members. They don't care about the free exchange of ideas, they don't care about intellectual rigor, they will say and do anything to get the message out and once they have enough followers/power will instantly crush free speech.

The problem (and why I'm giving the ACLU something of a pass on this, personally) is that deciding what exactly is fascist speech is hard to do in legal writing. Obviously incitement (and hate speech generally) is covered, but fascist speech extends beyond that.

yeah, but better to let them get out in the open of their own free will so we can see who they are and how bad they've gotten

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SKULL.GIF posted:

:20bux: changes a lot of people

ex: notch

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

why do i have posting a new reply in this thread bookmarked under the name JIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

univbee posted:

The ACLU is very bizarre in that they are EXTREMELY gung-ho about free speech for EVERYBODY and frequently defend neo-nazis and the like. How the NRA is about the 2nd amendment, the ACLU is about the 1st.

Skokie was the go-to on these kinds of things, but after today,

• Locked thread