Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I could work for an MSP no problem as long as someone else kept track of billable hours and priority number 1 wasn't to rip off our customers. Of one my work goals in life is to never, ever fill out a timecard again. I have self respect now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
You know Bit Titan isn't an MSP and that's an internal support position right? They are a software company.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

milk milk lemonade posted:

You know Bit Titan isn't an MSP and that's an internal support position right? They are a software company.

There website says "join the Modern MSP Revolution" on the front page. Do they just provide software to MSPs then maybe?

I did see that it was internal though. I just figured internal or external an MSP is still an MSP.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
They sell poo poo to MSPs and CSPs. If BT has an actual MSP division that's news to me.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

milk milk lemonade posted:

They sell poo poo to MSPs and CSPs. If BT has an actual MSP division that's news to me.

I need to work on my reading comprehension obviously. Saw MSP and fixated on that. Thanks.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

We have unlimited PTO and I think I'm going to hit about 6 weeks off this year, not counting holidays, including a three week vacation in November. I guess I'm just naturally selfish, because I have no problem taking that much time off despite it being untracked. It's a big reason I'm at this job instead of working for a vendor and probably making more money.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

The Dreamer posted:

I need to work on my reading comprehension obviously. Saw MSP and fixated on that. Thanks.

They are a legit good company from what I can tell. Not necessarily internally or anything, but their products are solid and their support is great.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

big money big clit posted:

We have unlimited PTO and I think I'm going to hit about 6 weeks off this year, not counting holidays, including a three week vacation in November. I guess I'm just naturally selfish, because I have no problem taking that much time off despite it being untracked. It's a big reason I'm at this job instead of working for a vendor and probably making more money.

Palo Alto has unlimited PTO. When they were courting me in the past, they said that most of their employees take about 5-6 weeks off each year, but some take more and that's fine.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am too literal a person to be told 'unlimited', plus that feels like a test.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Got unlimited too. I travel a lot for work though so I kind of consider them mini vacations since I ain't paying and I barely work when I'm there. I generally only work 4 days a week though.

E: just looked. I've used 22 days this year so far.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah, I read unlimited and think "Welp, let me go ahead and take next year off."

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I've taken 6 months off work. I thought I was gonna end up drinking myself to death. Don't recommend it. I like to work but at my option. This job fits me. I do about 10 hours on calls. 10-15 hours writing code. I take naps after my morning meetings and write code in the afternoon.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The place I'm interviewing as unlimited vacation. At least I think it's unlimited. They call it "Open Vacation."

Every time I've been on the phone with them so far and they've asked if I had any questions it's been so hard not to ask if I can take 52 weeks off.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

psydude posted:

I don't understand how DevOps can work. We all know developers refuse to work after hours during maintenance windows.
Our devs are tier 1 oncall and infra is a tier 2 escalation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

vas0line posted:

Someone please enlighten me on DevOps type people.

In our environment I am in a small team on the "corporate" side of things, and there is a large team on the "product" side of this. My team maintains the infrastructure, while the other side is very DevOps-y oriented and maintains the poo poo we sell.

Lately I'm coming to realize that the DevOps people on the other side seem to deploy new stuff while igroring underlying dependencies and then rely on us to help them and troubleshoot why their stuff isn't working. Things as simple as firewall port requests can take days going back and forth with them trying to determine what they actually need. Or even "Hey guys, your critical server hasn't been patched in 10 months." Or else something they deploy is broken and someone needs it fixed Right Now, but nobody has told us what changes need to be made on our end.

I think my next big project will be to find a way to decouple the DevOps team's dependence on our infrastructure and let them burn until they can get their poo poo together.

Does this seem like a Thing with that team specifically, or are DevOps people mostly like this? Or maybe I'm just salty?
I'm too old and tired to write my whole lovely screed over again, but if you have a "DevOps team" then no one involved is actually doing DevOps. It's gotten to the same point we were at when Agile got big, where a bunch of businesspeople heard it's not a good idea to write big specs anymore and just loving stopped there.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I want what my wife has. 4 weeks vacation, half day Fridays every week.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I had a temp job one summer break that was from 8-6 M-Tr and 8-12 on Friday. It was nice. I’d probably be okay with that every other Friday off scheduling too.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I took 3 weeks of PTO this year. It was amazing.

Only have 2 more weeks left
:negative:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Always negotiate more PTO when interviewing. In most places it doesn't show up on a spreadsheet somewhere so it's an easy consession for the person doing the hiring to make.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I have no idea how I'd take off 5 weeks in a year, it absolutely boggles me. Three is about my limit for an entire year. Two of actual vacation and spread the other 5 for days I want to do stuff.

Maybe vacation is like computer storage space. The more you have the easier it is to use?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Every single place I've ever worked and interviewed has had PTO as a non-negotiable benefit based purely on tenure with the company.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here, new employees right out of college get 2 weeks starting, experienced hires get 3 weeks. The 2 week people get a 3rd week after 5 years. 4th week after 15 years and 5 weeks at 25 years.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have no idea how I'd take off 5 weeks in a year, it absolutely boggles me. Three is about my limit for an entire year. Two of actual vacation and spread the other 5 for days I want to do stuff.

Take a month off at a stretch. It's an amazing way to relax and enjoy life. Go somewhere, build a shed, whatever you like to do but don't have time to in a short vacation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Maybe vacation is like computer storage space. The more you have the easier it is to use?

Staycations are awesome. Taking a week off to do nothing but what you want to do is highly recommended.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

H110Hawk posted:

Take a month off at a stretch. It's an amazing way to relax and enjoy life. Go somewhere, build a shed, whatever you like to do but don't have time to in a short vacation.

Like play Witcher 3 or Zelda.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

bull3964 posted:

Every single place I've ever worked and interviewed has had PTO as a non-negotiable benefit based purely on tenure with the company.

Everything is negotiable. Everything.

That said, the easiest thing to ask for and receive is to be maxed out on PTO at day one. Most places make you accrue it so you get maxed out after a year or some such.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
You poor office workers. 14 days on, 14 days off is the best shift. Plus 14 days off a year (168 hours a year). I essentially get 11 two week vacations a year and a six week vacation! :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And you get to miss out on having a social life with any of your friends with normal schedules for half the month.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Agrikk posted:

That said, the easiest thing to ask for and receive is to be maxed out on PTO at day one. Most places make you accrue it so you get maxed out after a year or some such.

This is very true. Just like people, companies can be really terrible at negotiations though. This is especially true for positions that are hard to fill. Companies are use to always having the upper hand and just don't always know how to deal with people not accepting offers after declining their counteroffers.

Several companies I was negotiating with, some not really in good faith by me but more boredom, Totally denied any counteroffers. No matter how much or how little I tried to get extra, were totally against budging. One of those last Friday, a full 8 business days since they denied my counter offer, have suddenly become a lot more flexible and let me know that they approved my counteroffer. I can't say it made me feel bad to let them know I had already accepted another offer.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Gorau posted:

You poor office workers. 14 days on, 14 days off is the best shift. Plus 14 days off a year (168 hours a year). I essentially get 11 two week vacations a year and a six week vacation! :v:

I did this years ago. No thanks, I'd rather have a sane schedule. I don't know how it would possibly work if you have children and your SO works.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don't have children, friends, and stay single. Simple.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Eh, I'm still home most every night. I usually work 6-6. It's a good gig for now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Needing to be at work at 6am pretty much precludes doing anything interesting in the evenings.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Needing to be at work at 6am pretty much precludes doing anything interesting in the evenings.

Normally I'd agree with you. I'm just lucky though. My shift just means I need to leave my driveway by 6. I drive to different sites every day. I'm fine if I go to bed by 11.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

bull3964 posted:

It's not common, but we've hired people before and gave them years of service credits towards vacation accrual before. Like others have said EVERYTHING is negotiable if you're in the right position.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Work life balance. I take about a week off every quarter, and 2 weeks around the holidays usually. With normal paid holidays I end up having a few extra days. With the kids out on spring break, summer vacations, a couple long weekends, Thanksgiving week and Christmas to after new years you can spend it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The generous PTO (we actually still get vacation and sick, and I view sick as "something other than scheduled vacation is preventing me from being at work") is one of the few saving graces about my current job. That and the fact that I can basically tell my boss I'm done for the day and gotta run some errands, and he'll let me go without any questions asked and I don't have to worry about putting the time in officially. I have several problems with him, but that aspect of how he manages overrides most of them. And we close for two weeks around Christmas.

I just wish I could find a more interesting sysadmin job with this place.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

skipdogg posted:

Work life balance. I take about a week off every quarter, and 2 weeks around the holidays usually. With normal paid holidays I end up having a few extra days. With the kids out on spring break, summer vacations, a couple long weekends, Thanksgiving week and Christmas to after new years you can spend it.

Yeah, having kids certainly changes the balance. I'm a Single Goon, so it's a different equation. And I've no condemnation to those who take vacation either. I just don't think I could do it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Agrikk posted:

gently caress I wish that had been the case here. I got another 10% over their original offer, but any vacation day changes were just a no-go.
Sucks, because 2 weeks is poo poo. 3 weeks is good enough - one 2 week vacation, and 5 days for misc. stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Also, I applied to one position over the weekend (meant to do more), but one I found and did not apply to was for an "Executive Deskside Senior Analyst" which is a wonderful title for one of those computer butler positions that is the dedicated desktop support guy for C-levels and their support staff.

I assume/hope that it pays similarly to your typical syadmin given the niche it fills but it sounds awful. Also sounds like a potential career dead end too.