Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's a good case that's affordable and supports large radiators?

What is large? I've some Phanteks that have the NZXT X62 in them, is that large? I really like the P400 Case. Without the window that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thermaltake core v1

lovely build quality though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Probably depends on budget and whether you want it windowed.

Corsair make some really gorgeous cases, but they don't have fan filters, and I don't know if there's any fan controller included.

BeQuiet's Dark Base 900 are extremely modular, but the non-Pro's fan controller doesn't have a motherboard header. I've also had issues with my non-Pro that came with dinged or broken components that it took forever to get replaced.

E: Missed the "affordable" part, my bad. If you ever get a Dark Base 900, just know that a lot of components will be replaceable if you get something on the cheap.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 8, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Caselabs SM8

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

rage-saq posted:

EKWB will have one out on TR launch. I would make sure you have some good radiators to go with it too.

I don't plan on having everything ready to go immediately, as Vega release is what, 8 days later? I haven't even looked, but what radiator sizes are there past 280mm? I'd imagine 360 (for 3x120mm fans?) and 420 (3x140) ? :420:

As far as cases go, I really really really like that Corsair Crystal 570X, but it's a bit cramped. Show me where the good glass cases are hiding.

I remember really wanting to build a UV Plexiglass rig back when I was a child and lived vicariously through magazines, whatever happened to that??

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, nearly every case can support a single 240 or 360, and usually a 280 as well, but multiple radiators or even longer ones are rarer, it seems. That's mostly what I'm after, getting a 360 and 240 in this Corsair Air 540 was a pain in the neck.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just get a big phanteks or nzxt case, they're almost all great. Fractal Design too, if you love monoliths.

well why not fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 10, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EK announced their Threadripper blocks, shipping on the 18th.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-announcing-dedicated-amd-threadripper-supremacy-evo-water-blocks/

eames
May 9, 2009

i'm not too familiar with watercooling these days but that looks like it has the internals of the regular consumer block with a larger solid "coldplate" around it, kind of meh compared to a new block with fins across the whole IHS. :effort:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Anyone surprised that EKWB hits it out of the park on launch date? Not I, they rock.
I think this makes them the only vendor that has a waterblock that actually covers the entire TR die, including the ones that will ship from AMD.
It will be interesting to see the cooling performance differences as I don't know that there has ever been a situation where such a large hot chip came out and existing solutions that ship for the product have such a serious design flaw.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

rage-saq posted:

Anyone surprised that EKWB hits it out of the park on launch date? Not I, they rock.

They'll be better solutions then that.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Would like to see those taken apart to check if the coldplate fins were moved, if at all.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Leaky EK monoblock update:
Took a couple days on the back and forth (largely due to the time zone difference, I suspect). They first offered to have the unit picked up and shipped to them for repair. I asked for a replacement unit because I wasn't willing to trust a refurbished unit sitting directly on top of an expensive CPU and motherboard. (plus, I paid full price for a new product, I should get a new product) They shipped a new unit out that day, and scheduled DHL to come to my place and pick up the defective unit. The new one actually arrives before DHL comes for the old one.

Many of their products are on Newegg/Amazon, but it's good to know that for niche/new products you have to order from them directly you get good service when needed.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Deuce posted:

Leaky EK monoblock update:
Took a couple days on the back and forth (largely due to the time zone difference, I suspect). They first offered to have the unit picked up and shipped to them for repair. I asked for a replacement unit because I wasn't willing to trust a refurbished unit sitting directly on top of an expensive CPU and motherboard. (plus, I paid full price for a new product, I should get a new product) They shipped a new unit out that day, and scheduled DHL to come to my place and pick up the defective unit. The new one actually arrives before DHL comes for the old one.

Many of their products are on Newegg/Amazon, but it's good to know that for niche/new products you have to order from them directly you get good service when needed.

That is impressive service. To be honest with you I thought they wouldn't offer to cross ship.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I really need to do a update post for my build but heres a teaser

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

nice work Jay

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
That looks really, really slick.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I rather like it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Oh man, thanks for this thread. It's definitely a trip down memory lane. I, too, spent lots of time in car stores looking for the best heater core and Home Depot for the best parts for the DIY reservoir.

My last water cooled built was a Zalman Reserator:

I love that thing. A big blue alloy cooling tower standing like a phallus next to my PC for my friends to envy? Yes, please. I put it away before my last move and then my recent build was air-cooled so it's still in it's box in the garage. I might have to pull it out and set it up.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I think you could probably sell that for a decent price. People occasionally want them, and they're not made anymore iirc.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So I got my new ThreadRipper system running with a Kraken X62. One question: Do I need to use that godawful CAM software to have the fans change the RPM or does the thing change its RPM automatically depending on load?

I have it installed and it wants me to create an account and.... gently caress that to be honest. I just want it to spin the fans up depending on load, does it do that now? I am not really sure.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

So I got my new ThreadRipper system running with a Kraken X62. One question: Do I need to use that godawful CAM software to have the fans change the RPM or does the thing change its RPM automatically depending on load?

I have it installed and it wants me to create an account and.... gently caress that to be honest. I just want it to spin the fans up depending on load, does it do that now? I am not really sure.
Plug the fans directly into your motherboards CPU fan header instead of the pump housing and set up the fan profile you want in BIOS. Then the fans will ramp up or down depending on the CPU temperature without having to involve the OS or any other software. The pump runs off the SATA connector and should be running at its maximum RPMs all the time. You don't even need to connect the USB header on the pump if you don't want to at that point. The three pin cable that comes out of the pump is just an RPM sensor, you can plug that into any 3 pin header if you want to monitor the pump RPMs.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 26, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

Plug the fans directly into your motherboards CPU fan header instead of the pump housing and set up the fan profile you want in BIOS. Then the fans will ramp up or down depending on the CPU temperature without having to involve the OS or any other software. The pump runs off the SATA connector and should be running at its maximum RPMs all the time. You don't even need to connect the USB header on the pump if you don't want to at that point. The three pin cable that comes out of the pump is just an RPM sensor, you can plug that into any 3 pin header if you want to monitor the pump RPMs.

I have the USB connected and the pump is on the CPU connector. The fans are on the supplied cable. Do the fans vary their RPM now? Or does the CAM software function as the driver for this? I hope not. I just want the cooling to ramp up when needed and do nothing when the system is idle. Does it do this already? That is not clear to me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You want fan speeds to change based on coolant temp. Not cpu temp. Cam software does this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The CAM software sucks. It regularly hits 30% CPU usage when my machine is just idling. I finally set it to "performance" and then uninstalled it. It remembers whatever settings you last left it at.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

You want fan speeds to change based on coolant temp. Not cpu temp. Cam software does this.

Well the coolant temp is probably a result of the system load, so I thought I was pretty clear. :)

GutBomb posted:

The CAM software sucks. It regularly hits 30% CPU usage when my machine is just idling. I finally set it to "performance" and then uninstalled it. It remembers whatever settings you last left it at.

So if I understand correctly the Kraken does not do any throttling of the fans by itself? It needs the CAM software to manage this? Wow, that sucks.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 26, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

But then your fans spike up and down with the CPU temp. If you run it based on coolant temp they'll ramp up less, the cooling performance difference will be totally minor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

But then your fans spike up and down with the CPU temp. If you run it based on coolant temp they'll ramp up less, the cooling performance difference will be totally minor.

Exactly. Coolant temp is all that matters when controlling fans for a wc system.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

And I "need" the CAM software for this? There is nothing in the AIO itself that will ramp up the fans when the coolant temperature rises?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

And I "need" the CAM software for this? There is nothing in the AIO itself that will ramp up the fans when the coolant temperature rises?

One of the watercooling goons will help - I only know the theory from watercooled engines.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

One of the watercooling goons will help - I only know the theory from watercooled engines.

Ok, thanks for the info. :)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11757/lianli-reveals-pcv3000-fulltower-aluminum-chassis

Anandtech posted:

The full-tower chassis was designed for "massive liquid cooling radiators" and is Lian-Li’s first case capable of holding four radiators. A 480mm radiator can fit at the bottom of the case, while the top is able to house up to a 420mm radiator. The front panel supports up to either a 360 or 280mm radiator, with a final 120mm radiator at the rear. There is quite a bit of cooling power available if users stuff this case full of radiators.

:stare:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So Time flies when your working 50 hour weeks so progress has been slow due to that and the lack of parts (PCCG were is the 16mm tubing ffs)

so given that I have a 60mm rad at the front and a 35mm rad in the top the front rad at its default position would clash with the fans for the top radiator, so out comes the dremel to fix this

You'll notice the difference between my first template and the final product, always get enough sleep and triple check your measurements, or at least undercut them :P

things are very tight but it all fits

As the basement is so tight for space the joins between the 560mm & 360mm rads has to come up into the main build area, they also will have in and out temp sensors

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As you can see both rads in the bottom are push/pull with Noctua doing the heavy lifting while the Thermaltake ones are there for show :P

At this stage x399 finally came out and I got the Zenith in for test fitting and tub routing while I wait for SL to have a worthy chip to go in

Having never bought a top of the line mobo before I'm blown away by how high quality everything is and I cant wait to see the Monoblock for this from EK

I've worked out that the Thermaltake fan RGB's run off the addressable type so my plan is to split the fan and rgb combo plug into separate plugs so they can go to splitters (more detail to come soon)

below is testing the rgb and leds for the pump block and res,

while white does look good, the coolent will be EK's Navy Blue so I'm going to use blue LED's

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Wow, you are really making an effort out of this. I just bought a Phanteks and slapped everything inside. :)

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Wow, you are really making an effort out of this. I just bought a Phanteks and slapped everything inside. :)

Well I wanted to make a balls to the wall pc, I havnt even got started with fitting the PSU and the custom cabling Im going to have to do re bus bars for the LEDS or the tight fit at the front for the aquero controller

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I love the build Scarecrow, unfortunately they weren't out when you started but it is possible now to have both RGB lighting and high quality fans in one. Phanteks sells RGB fan frames so you can have good RGB with any white bladed fan.

For anyone else buying new fans for loops, avoid the noctua F series fans. They're super outdated and superseded in every way by newer fans in performance/noise/price, hell they weren't even the best when new. The best thing to look at are darkside GT's, NB eLoops, EK Vardars, or Corsair ML series. The ML's aren't the absolute best for performance (that would be the GT's and their cousins), but I love them for their total lack of bearing noise and overall pleasant tone. Phanteks makes super good fans as well, but they are mostly the best in heatsink fans (for tower coolers). This is really not relevant for Scarecrows build as there is enough rad space that it doesn't matter at all. It could probably be run passively for a decent duration due to the sheer heat capacity of that much fluid and passive heat transfer.

Scarecow posted:

Well I wanted to make a balls to the wall pc, I havnt even got started with fitting the PSU and the custom cabling Im going to have to do re bus bars for the LEDS or the tight fit at the front for the aquero controller

loving love the DIY stuff you've posted so far, you're really doing a fully perfected/integrated setup and it's awesome.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

I love the build Scarecrow, unfortunately they weren't out when you started but it is possible now to have both RGB lighting and high quality fans in one. Phanteks sells RGB fan frames so you can have good RGB with any white bladed fan.

For anyone else buying new fans for loops, avoid the noctua F series fans. They're super outdated and superseded in every way by newer fans in performance/noise/price, hell they weren't even the best when new. The best thing to look at are darkside GT's, NB eLoops, EK Vardars, or Corsair ML series. The ML's aren't the absolute best for performance (that would be the GT's and their cousins), but I love them for their total lack of bearing noise and overall pleasant tone. Phanteks makes super good fans as well, but they are mostly the best in heatsink fans (for tower coolers). This is really not relevant for Scarecrows build as there is enough rad space that it doesn't matter at all. It could probably be run passively for a decent duration due to the sheer heat capacity of that much fluid and passive heat transfer.

loving love the DIY stuff you've posted so far, you're really doing a fully perfected/integrated setup and it's awesome.

I stuck with the NF-P12's because I had some from my last build and I liked the performance and sound of them, never really thought about looking at other fans so you had me thinking I've hosed up getting more of them but looking at stats

EK Vardar EVO
Static pressure 3.16mm h20
Max RPM 2200RPM
33.5dBA

NF-P12
Static pressure 1.68mm h20
Max RPM 1300RPM
19.8dBA

soooo yeah :| bummer maybe I should have looked at them or the new Noctua NF-F12 fans

Static pressure 3.94mm h2O
Max RPM 2000RPM
29.7dBA

Ah well as you say the amount of radiator surface area and fans will mean most of the time they will hardly be on (and I plan on having 4 different Fan zones that will individually turn on and off based on the loop temperature )

And thanks, been seeing other peoples Threadripper builds and holy loving poo poo they look like such rear end

as for those fan RGB covers I can only wonder at how much they are going to cost (but then again I'm looking at poo poo like this

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32429/alphacool-eisschicht-1-5mm-thermal-pad-17w-mk

for a loving wopping $249AUD and thinking "hmmm maybe it would be worth it for the VRMs under the monblock"

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Actually take a look at the Corsair ML120s, they are the poo poo and actually unseat the gentle typhoon as the perf/noise king.
Thermalbench is about the only one doing solid reviews on this kind of stuff anymore and their testing is what sold me: http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/12/corsair-ml120-pro-120-mm-fan/3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This is frustrating! I'm dealing with a heat wave (~105 degrees F/40 degrees C the past couple days), and the water cooling system is handling it just fine. Seriously, with the air conditioning on, I'm idling at 26 degrees C on the GPU.

But my M.2 SSD keeps overheating instead. Or, at least, that's what I think is causing the intermittent shutdowns I was suffering all yesterday.