Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

EmmyOk posted:

What is thread opinion on the goofiest or silliest saga?

Doobie, for the mods who championed him and all the goons who sent him money instead of, I dunno, hosting another GBS Matènwa fundraiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The sheer amount of vitriol I've seen people continue to hold for the Doobie thing amazes me. Like, not the folk who just thought it was stupid and moved on, but I've seen goons continue to :argh: about it with an apparently photographic recall of how events went down.

Stare into the abyss and all that, but man.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What's Doobie? Some subforum was called doobie's doghouse at some point is about all I remember.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It was some guy's attempt at crowdfunding a hot dog restaurant. Lot of people threw their money into an obviously doomed project, but goons being goons...

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yes, and that is another reason it was so funny. I didn't give him any money but it was still hilarious to see the rise and fall of Oobie Og Ouse.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Does anyone have a link to a longer explanation of it either in this thread or elsewhere because it sounds interesting :shobon:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

how have you been in this forum for like 4 years and became a mod and haven't heard about doobie

do you know about aatrek? because I've been told mods knew

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I got the impression that Doobie revealed himself to be both a racist and a homophobe at some point, by making racist and anti-LGBT tweets with his company profile, so not only were goons supporting a really dumb business venture, they also turned out to have been supporting a guy who was a garbage person.

I could misremember, though.

As far as just goofy stories goes that are funny & stupid without turning vile; Muerte The Desert Wandering Goon and the Goon Summer Death Camp Slide, are both funny goon project stories. All of the stories are fairly easily found by searching the threadid of this thread.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

What's Doobie? Some subforum was called doobie's doghouse at some point is about all I remember.

Claude Robinson, aka Doobie, of Reform, AL set up a Kickstarter to open a hot dog shack. Former mod Soundmonkey and a bunch of goons donate a bunch of cash and he hit his goal. One goon even canceled his family's Christmas and donated thousands. Goons being goons, they made a big deal about helping this kind young man fulfill his dream and were set to goonify his restaurant with a bunch of frog-themed poo poo because they made something good happen. Everyone patted themselves on the back.

Then everyone found out Doobie is: inept idiot who has no idea how to run a business (had issues with vent hoods, soda fountains, opening near established popular restaurants), racist, homophobic, all around dumbfuck, married to a woman who could have been Richard Kiel's stand-in in Moonraker, and gave the forums the middle finger when he refused to fulfill the goon-chosen KS stretch goals.

Long story short: Everyone who donated got trolled to hell and back, Doobie wasted a bunch of the KS money on car rims and someone ELSE'S heating bill, Goons who didn't donate loving with Doobie and his wife for two years, "oobie og hous" unsurprisingly goes out of business, Doobie being such a failure that his own mother tried to guilt him into donating furniture from the restaurant to her rather than his intended liquidation sale.

It's one of the best and worst things to come from these forums.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Solice Kirsk posted:

My new favorite is GoonTub.
Goontub is pretty awesome. From the destruction of a perfectly serene bathroom space, the complete destruction of a home"s resale value, the continued antagonism, misogyny and bad choices (last post was about the technical challenges of getting sand/river rocks in the flooring around the tub) through the closing of the thread, it constantly one-upped itself.

One of my favs was a guy named Niklas who couldn't comprehend why multichannel/speaker setups worked since he only had two ears. That was just goofy.
In the same vein was a guy wanting more bandwith from his cable modem. Suggestion: Drill a hole in the top to let the data spill out.
Also, the Drink Your Piss thread.

PizzaMatrix, Gokupants, and a host of other legendary photoshop phridays.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

how have you been in this forum for like 4 years and became a mod and haven't heard about doobie

I joined when GBS was a serious posting place and it reverted like a few months after that. I don't think I posted very much for the first year and then I just wound up in PYF and post in a few more threads for a couple of interests and look in the goldmine for good GBS threads. I've picked up some stuff via posting osmosis and obviously I've heard of AAtrek and the lol mods knew joke.

Grandmother of Five posted:

I got the impression that Doobie revealed himself to be both a racist and a homophobe at some point, by making racist and anti-LGBT tweets with his company profile, so not only were goons supporting a really dumb business venture, they also turned out to have been supporting a guy who was a garbage person.

I could misremember, though.

As far as just goofy stories goes that are funny & stupid without turning vile; Muerte The Desert Wandering Goon and the Goon Summer Death Camp Slide, are both funny goon project stories. All of the stories are fairly easily found by searching the threadid of this thread.

Neat those sound fun!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Noni was a great champion of Doobie, which was a shame as he left after the fall of the Doobs and I felt he was a great poster.

'Thats just the kind of low cunning I'd expect from an Alabama sewer man' will always make me laugh.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Its really underselling how Soundmonkey gave this rousing speech about how it was a moral duty to help this entrepreneur who was poor and help improve the economy of his hillbilly town. It was some MLK poo poo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm flitting through the thread a bit atm but some of these mod challenges are very strange in my opinion.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
mod challenges have always been strange and were a good joke once then became forced and stupid afterwards, like all gbs jokes

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/mermaid-shelly/1/

This was a pretty good time a mod challenge went well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grognan posted:

Yeah, that owns. I am almost certain I was following it as it happened, like before it became a front-page piece, although I could be misremembering.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RentACop posted:

This might be more for the "forgotten forum thing" thread but does anyone have links to, I'm having trouble describing it but it was like a gbs thread where people talked about how their parents were mean to them, and it spawned a FYAD thread with mocking stories about how their dad bought them a "worlds shittiest homo" mug for their birthday and so on

I don't remember this but I do remember a similar kind of thread, where people talked about poo poo their mom/dad did, but in context they were clearly talking about their pets (not an actual example, but it would be something like, "My dad threw up on the kitchen floor and then scratched me when I was cleaning it up").

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm reading the thread about the guy who claimed Telltale scratched up his Jurassic Park jeep but apparently it was his fault and the thread sharply turn on him when they find out. Currently I'm on the part where reddit and neogaf are posting about how scummy TellTale are and TellTale's facebook page is full of jeep comments. Can't wait for the turn :getin:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is the point where I realize that I've already hit 3 years on this place.

It feels like I barely started.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Ive been here for 14 years. Life's a blip man.

One of my favourite old threads was The Human Crouton's childhood story drawings thread where he told an series of epic tales involving childish gibberish drawings that I dearly loved.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Grognan posted:

Yes that thread owned. Shelly was pretty cool.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I joined when GBS was a serious posting place and it reverted like a few months after that. I don't think I posted very much for the first year and then I just wound up in PYF and post in a few more threads for a couple of interests and look in the goldmine for good GBS threads. I've picked up some stuff via posting osmosis and obviously I've heard of AAtrek and the lol mods knew joke.

Neat those sound fun!

Ah, the reason for that GBS change WAS the doobie saga. I believe it was because it exposed the damage that could be done with the "do things our strict way or eat a probe" mentality

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

This is the point where I realize that I've already hit 3 years on this place.

It feels like I barely started.

drat, my regdate is the same as yours but I lurked off and on since like 2008. for better or worse, these dead gay forums have had an indelible impact on my life

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

EmmyOk posted:

why not consult the Official Doobie's Dog House Wiki (who the gently caress made this)

EDIT: this is my jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNA51abv8lw

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Aug 13, 2017

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

EmmyOk posted:

I'm reading the thread about the guy who claimed Telltale scratched up his Jurassic Park jeep but apparently it was his fault and the thread sharply turn on him when they find out. Currently I'm on the part where reddit and neogaf are posting about how scummy TellTale are and TellTale's facebook page is full of jeep comments. Can't wait for the turn :getin:

Is this the same incident where the dogpiling included threatening a woman who worked for Telltale for the unforgivable sin of being a woman?

I barely remember the Doobie poo poo. Like I remember early on before the KS was over and something felt "off" to begin with (maybe it was the nauseating hot dog photography). GBS was already bad but absolutely became unreadable and stayed that way other than a couple recent photoshop threads.

Labes for days posted:

Doobie, for the mods who championed him and all the goons who sent him money instead of, I dunno, hosting another GBS Matènwa fundraiser.

This is what makes me goddamn mad. Matènwa and Heifer International ought to be what GBS organizes around, not some racist scum from Alabama.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is this the same incident where the dogpiling included threatening a woman who worked for Telltale for the unforgivable sin of being a woman?labama.

Yes it was. Scumfuck Jeep goon Boomerjinks posted the name of some publicity department lady from Telltale and told goons and redditors to harass her. Except she didn't work at Telltale any more and she was undergoing/had recently undergone cancer treatment.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Syd Midnight posted:

Don't forget:

-a goon literally has nightmares about eating bread

:razz:

This isn't that crazy. Anytime people try to cold-turkey quit something they normally ingest a lot of (carbs, nicotine, sugar,etc) their bodies will start to crave them. This can have a profound impact on brain chemistry and sleep. When I quit smoking I had a couple cigarette-themed nightmares.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yes it was. Scumfuck Jeep goon Boomerjinks posted the name of some publicity department lady from Telltale and told goons and redditors to harass her. Except she didn't work at Telltale any more and she was undergoing/had recently undergone cancer treatment.

Oof, yeah, that was rough to watch in realtime. Once the thread turned I think that fed into a bit of the fervor.

Mr. Boone is still my favorite thing I caught "live" in all the time I've been here. Using the forum as the medium to tell the story really helped suspend my belief especially when the character was kind of a dick. (Like, you're a super alien species but you forgot how to be polite? idk, that's just my personal thing.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

Noni was a great champion of Doobie, which was a shame as he left after the fall of the Doobs and I felt he was a great poster.

'Thats just the kind of low cunning I'd expect from an Alabama sewer man' will always make me laugh.

noni was easily the shittiest poster this forum has ever seen

dude was a performance artist that heard "brevity is the soul of wit" and dedicated his life to proving it

EmmyOk posted:

I'm flitting through the thread a bit atm but some of these mod challenges are very strange in my opinion.

were you duped into being a mod? i mean, new poster, doesn't know much about the forums, it's the profile of a naive and trusting person who got targeted. and we know other mods have had form with this

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

No matter how many years you've been here, how bored you are, or how many threads, sagas, and memes you've read, the SA forums will never lose their ability to unpleasantly surprise you. Yesterday I finished reading the steroids thread and I regret doing so.

Syd Midnight posted:

started having nocturnal emissions and fits of rage ... probably not going to see age 40 ... met some cool swole bros at the gym who gave him free research-chemical-quality steroids and showed him how to inject it, so now he goes down to the gym to do steroids with his buddies and share tips on dealing with their infected trackmarks ...
I couldn't figure out who that was because that describes most of the regular posters there, I'm not kidding, if you want to see a goon clique helping each other destroy their bodies and minds, you really ought to skim the steroid thread. It is just as depressing as the crack and heroin ones, but more enabling and less self-aware. It's like an anorexia forum.

Jedit posted:

When I was just a little goon I asked the mod team, "What should I try? Should I rent hookers? Should I do blow?" This was their wise reply: Que sera sera, whatever will be will be. Just don't post in TCC. Que sera sera.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Does anyone remember which mod made a keynote post in the doobie thread? For some reason I think it was Shine.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Hoshi posted:

Does anyone remember which mod made a keynote post in the doobie thread? For some reason I think it was Shine.

Please don't accuse Shine of such things, it was either Noni or SoundMonkey.

Shine did participate in the Mermaid Shelly thread wearing his cat as a wig, though, and it was magical.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Syd Midnight posted:

No matter how many years you've been here, how bored you are, or how many threads, sagas, and memes you've read, the SA forums will never lose their ability to unpleasantly surprise you. Yesterday I finished reading the steroids thread and I regret doing so.

I couldn't figure out who that was because that describes most of the regular posters there, I'm not kidding, if you want to see a goon clique helping each other destroy their bodies and minds, you really ought to skim the steroid thread. It is just as depressing as the crack and heroin ones, but more enabling and less self-aware. It's like an anorexia forum.

:allears:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

Does anyone have a link to a longer explanation of it either in this thread or elsewhere because it sounds interesting :shobon:

There is still an active Doobie thread in GBS with all the greatest Doobie hits and a rich Doobie expanded universe.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Labes for days posted:

Please don't accuse Shine of such things, it was either Noni or SoundMonkey.

Shine did participate in the Mermaid Shelly thread wearing his cat as a wig, though, and it was magical.

You're right it was Noni. You got those cat pics?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Labes for days posted:

GBS also fundraised a hot dog stand for a hot dog salesman from a poor district in Venezuela iirc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

There is still an active Doobie thread in GBS with all the greatest Doobie hits and a rich Doobie expanded universe.

Neat, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bucksmash posted:

Former mod Soundmonkey

This is incorrect.

Soundmonkey is still a mod, over in DIY. Pretty chill dude nowadays.