Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
patoots
May 1, 2005
Didn't see this posted, apologies otherwise, from the AP article about today's Carmageddon driver (https://apnews.com/b8560c3ebaac4deb9043bb695f2eb1db)

Driver's Mom posted:

“I thought it had something to do with Trump. Trump’s not a white supremacist,”

“He had an African-American friend so ...,” she said before her voice trailed off.

The ol' token black friend I'm obviously not racist ruse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ripoff posted:

Honestly, they should be charged for it but with the Nazis I'm certain there will be a "check's in the mail" convo, and the college won't hear from them again.

I mean, if they were smart enough to do this strategy, you'd think they'd be smart enough to demand the money up front.

but lol who are we kidding

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Honestly, they should be charged for it but with the Nazis I'm certain there will be a "check's in the mail" convo, and the college won't hear from them again.

Does an alt-right not deserve the sweat of his own hatred?

No, says the cat, it belongs to me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

repeating posted:

Does a libertarian not deserve the sweat of his own hatred?

No, says the cat, it belongs to me.

The correct response to Andrew Ryan is the same as the correct response to Nazis: a 9-iron.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

To this day I'm truly amazed this guy got both shoes off and airborne.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I loving hate that W juked that shoe like a pro.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

Ahem. As someone who spent literally the past three years trying my damnedest to calmly explain the threat posed by these groups and their very real potential for violence (and eating no small amount of poo poo for doing so) let me just tell you that I have learned that normalcy bias is a motherfucker when it takes hold of groups. While there were those who were willing to listen there were also plenty of goon who went well out of their way to make it loving impossible to have a reasonable discussion about the topic. Hell, my thread was initially created in large part because certain posters had a conniption fit that I dared to suggest that the militias were a problem or that radical Christians were not going to simply roll over and make their peace with gay marriage.

People who don't understand what pathological individuals are capable of have a very hard time recognizing when the pathological are seizing control of society. This has been a problem that has been painfully demonstrated to me time and again over the past three years, both on this forum and in many others. Thankfully now those individuals who screech whenever a frank discussion about the pathological begins (both on this board and in the larger progressive movement) can now be forcefully told to sit the gently caress down and shut the gently caress up. As horrific as today has been one small silver lining seems to be that the events in Charlottesville have served to snap much of the milquetoast left out of their state of comfortable uselessness.

People on the left are talking real talk in a way I haven;t seen so far, and this is a very good development.

Edit: Fixed some sentences that were out of order.

I remember scoffing at you, but I remember you handing me my rear end whenever you made a claim and I naysayed you. I would say nay and I would eat crow over and over again. You weren't always correct, but whenever I tried to correct you you were. So I started to listen.

So. You know. Not all for nothing I guess.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I fuckin' know right? This guy is a true role model for us all. :patriot:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Condiv posted:

did they do anything for tosten? he had a much more important case, but for some reason the ACLU didn't come running to his defense....

it's almost like they choose which cases to take and don't defend every infringement on the first amendment.

in which case, this isn't hard paracaidas. the ACLU has limited funds. this was an easy case that wasn't likely to affect first amendment rights. so they shouldn't have bothered! it's like triage, but you don't waste money needlessly defending assholes that then go and murder people!

they don't seem that different when a book written by the author of the black panthers can be considered incitement to violence when in the possession of an inmate

the big difference there seems to be that KKK and nazi rhetoric's audience is white people and is actually violent
It's hosed up that they didn't defend Toston! (though I've found very little about the background to the case so I can't speak to whether they denied him assistance, didn't proactively seek him out hard enough, or whatever else may have occurred) Regardless, congrats! You've proved that the ACLU is neither perfect nor infallible. Which I'd find devastating if I'd claimed that they were. Of course, that's still not enough to get us to your innuendos that for ~reasons~ they shed principles to support nazis. This is in part because you're out of your depth as it comes to actually understanding the issues involved.

Condiv posted:

they're nazis
I missed the "except when they're nazis, but only when they're nazis" clause. That sure makes this simple and tidy!

Condiv posted:

blm doesn't have anything near the hateful rhetoric of the KKK or nazis. either in protest form or otherwise. we'd know about it if they did, the right wing wouldn't let us hear otherwise

don't pretend otherwise
http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/if-black-lives-matter-isnt-racist-hate-group-then--4610 Amazing how The Onion can pull such satire out of the ether. So that this isn't twisted back on me later I am not claiming, and have never claimed, that BLM is in any way analogous to the hatred, incitement, bigotry, or violence of the Klan or Nazis. I pointed to 4 events (with higher body counts than we've seen from all domestic Klan/Nazi rallies in the same time period) that would be used by conservative governments and institutions to preemptively shutdown and ban BLM rallies and related protests. As Toston proves, the courts tend to have a much lower bar in these situations.

Condiv posted:

i think i made it very clear i don't like that the ACLU helped with kessler's suit, and that i don't like that the ACLUVA tweeted out pro-rightwing eyewitness accounts of leftists being mowed down by a car. why would i need to explicitly say "i don't like that they did this!"? can you not parse that?
I parsed that fine. I also parsed where you impart more sinister motives on those decisions. But then, disagreeing without assuming the worst has never been your strong suit.

Condiv posted:

uhh, i don't doubt the white supremacists would've won their case with or without the ACLU. cause they have a right to assemble enjoyed by few others in the united states. i have always taken issue with the ACLU choosing to defend that right even though they know it will likely lead to violence (and did in this case). apparently you do actually have trouble parsing my posts!
Let me try being more explicit, then:
You believe that preemptively restricting Kessler's rally would not have violated the ACLU's principles, based on their previous advocacy. This is not the case. You should actually read those as well, they're a great primer for the current state of 1A law in this country and written in plain English, differentiating the common usage of (for instance) "incitement" from the legal usage in this context.

So we return to your posting. "i don't like that the ACLU helped with kessler's suit, and that i don't like that the ACLUVA tweeted out pro-rightwing eyewitness accounts of leftists being mowed down by a car." is great! It's a statement of your position that can lead towards an interesting discussion of 1A absolutism, alternate standards, and the potential misapplication of those standards in the future. Even better, it doesn't rely on any inaccuracies, falsehoods, or innuendos about a sinister affection towards racist fascists.

It's a shame that the same cannot be said about your other posts on the topic. Coincidentally, I'm still waiting for the tweet or statement of support about ACLUVA sharing the misinformation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

repeating posted:

I loving hate that W juked that shoe like a pro.

And that if you look closely, he even has an expression of mirth on his face about it. I'm sure he's well-practiced from "42" throwing poo poo at him in his youth.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Condiv posted:

i'd prefer that richard spencer not get to work his psychotic nazi friends into a murderous,violent rage again

Advocating for the removal of constitutional rights from a group of people is not a principled anti-fascist stand.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

muon posted:

Advocating for the removal of constitutional rights from a group of people is not a principled anti-fascist stand.

Oh gently caress off.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Amazing how we get a new wave of posters in this thread everytime there is some nazis to defend.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guys have you considered that "police officers being killed at BLM protests don't count" might not be a useful way of looking at things? Like it or not there's been an upswing in political violence generally and today's attack is only one in a series of killings over the last few years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Like for real one of the unambiguously good accomplishments America can lay claim to is that we helped defeat the Nazis, late arrival notwithstanding. You know how we defeated the Nazis? With bullets.

But oh noes, these Nazis are American, better roll over and let them walk all over us, god forbid we infringe on their constitutional rights while they beat black people in the streets and parade around in Blackwater cosplay and chant white nationalist slogans.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

socialsecurity posted:

Amazing how we get a new wave of posters in this thread everytime there is some nazis to defend.

Better than eating our own like we do when there's a slow news day. Besides, their tenbux helps keep the site alive.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean at this point anybody who expresses surprise at this poo poo or claims it isn't happening should have a copy of It Can't Happen Here thrown with great force at their face.

I think it was only about 3 months ago that I was mocked for stating that the Proud Boys demonstrations would turn full Nazi within a few years if nothing happened to forcefully end them. A year and a half ago I was a nut for flatly stating that Trump would eventually incite his fascist base to violence. While I would be remiss to act is if there were not quite a few Goons willing to hear me out, there were also quite a few goons who seemed to make it their personal mission to harass me at every turn specifically over my warnings about radicalized right wing violence.

It is very hard to crack through normalcy bias.

I guess I'm just venting, today is an extremely bitter pill to swallow. I saw this poo poo coming from miles off and feel like I have been forced to watch a train smash into the country and culture I love/admire so much. I genuinely think that we as a people can overcome this, but we are only going to do that if we can have frank discussions about how pathological people think/function as well as being brutally honest about how easily/rapidly violence can erupt in radicalized groups. Trying my damnedest to communicate what I understand of the pathological (through the prism of my mental illness) has been a task that has been at times greatly exasperated by the harassment of overeducated shitbags who have insecure meltdowns when you suggest that their comfortable existence miiiiiiiight be at risk.

And I have known from the very moment that Trump was elected how this would play out. I wrote the following in the hours after Trump was elected:

Prester Jane posted:

Narrativism is about to sweep the federal government, and by extension the rest of the country. Full Christian theocracy with a steaming side of white supremacism is on the way. LGBT rights will be eliminated, abortion will be banned, taxes that rich people pay will be eliminated, Trans-people will probably have to register for watch lists eventually, Muslims will be targeted for heavy legal harassment, hate crimes against all minorities will spike through the roof and police investigations of said hate crimes will be non-existant in some areas of the country. Militias will begin to operate with the wink-wink blessing of local law enforcement in actions that target minority communities for harassment. Insane/corrupt/both cronies will be packed into every fact of the federal apparatus, and they will implement Narrativist policies and enforce existing policies in a distinctly Narrativist fashion.

The good news is that the aforementioned overeducated shitbags are exceedingly unpopular with pretty much the entire Left at this moment now and their voices are unlikely to gum up the conversations that need to happen now. Perhaps we might just be ready as a country for when Trump finally pulls the trigger and openly incites his radicalized base into targeted violence.

Edit:

Ice Phisherman posted:

I remember scoffing at you, but I remember you handing me my rear end whenever you made a claim and I naysayed you. I would say nay and I would eat crow over and over again. You weren't always correct, but whenever I tried to correct you you were. So I started to listen.

So. You know. Not all for nothing I guess.

Thank you for this, I needed it more than you know tonight. I certainly am far from always being correct, but I try my damnedest to get it right and explain my perspective. Its good to hear that it made a difference. Thank you.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 13, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Like for real one of the unambiguously good accomplishments America can lay claim to is that we helped defeat the Nazis, late arrival notwithstanding. You know how we defeated the Nazis? With bullets..

Okay so what's the plan here? The far right definitely has more rifles than the far left. Best case scenario the police crack down hard and we know where their sympathies lie.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ChuckModi1/status/896409728959606789
https://twitter.com/felicia4217/status/896556066540048388
https://twitter.com/felicia4217/status/896581870313496577

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I'll be perfectly honest and own up to not actually having read your thread or most of your writing because I found it particularly dense and impenetrable, but you were thoroughly right and all doubts I had about your basic thesis were dumb and bad.

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay so what's the plan here? The far right definitely has more rifles than the far left. Best case scenario the police crack down hard and we know where their sympathies lie.

I feel like the second half of this post contrasts well against your previous post. You can't acknowledge that police broadly speaking are right-wing authoritarians who will throw their lot in the with the fascists and then ask why we aren't concerned about political violence against the police.

That said, at a certain point it might be time to admit we need more guns.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Would you be umconcerned about kicking a bear because you felt it deserved a kicking?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Arglebargle III posted:

Would you be umconcerned about kicking a bear because you felt it deserved a kicking?

That's a fair point, and different than what I thought you had meant.

i dunno. There's a strong institutional bias against the left in this scenario, especially since most people lack the means/will/stomach/resources to mount any kind of serious defense against fascism and liberals are tripping over themselves to condemn political violence and uphold the first amendment as the most important thing to ever exist.

I hate to be defeatist but I think we all know how this one ends.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

It's hosed up that they didn't defend Toston! (though I've found very little about the background to the case so I can't speak to whether they denied him assistance, didn't proactively seek him out hard enough, or whatever else may have occurred) Regardless, congrats! You've proved that the ACLU is neither perfect nor infallible. Which I'd find devastating if I'd claimed that they were. Of course, that's still not enough to get us to your innuendos that for ~reasons~ they shed principles to support nazis. This is in part because you're out of your depth as it comes to actually understanding the issues involved.

i've also proved that incitement to violence is being used like I said it could be, just abused against prisoners instead of being used to protect against actual threats like the KKK and nazis. i also showed that the ACLU does not take all first amendment cases, and therefore certainly did not need to take the slam dunk case involving nazis

quote:

I missed the "except when they're nazis, but only when they're nazis" clause. That sure makes this simple and tidy!

how about under the incitement to violence clause that's already being used, but this time, using it appropriately against nazis instead of against prisoners who checked a book out of the prison library?

this isn't hard paracaidas, you just make it hard.

quote:

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/if-black-lives-matter-isnt-racist-hate-group-then--4610 Amazing how The Onion can pull such satire out of the ether. So that this isn't twisted back on me later I am not claiming, and have never claimed, that BLM is in any way analogous to the hatred, incitement, bigotry, or violence of the Klan or Nazis. I pointed to 4 events (with higher body counts than we've seen from all domestic Klan/Nazi rallies in the same time period) that would be used by conservative governments and institutions to preemptively shutdown and ban BLM rallies and related protests. As Toston proves, the courts tend to have a much lower bar in these situations.

they have a lower bar than is just when it comes to black people, and a higher bar than is just when it comes to white people. i'm advocating for a realignment, where white asshats spouting violent rhetoric that we all know does breed violence get hit with incitement to violence instead of using it against black people that checked a book out of the library.

quote:

I parsed that fine. I also parsed where you impart more sinister motives on those decisions. But then, disagreeing without assuming the worst has never been your strong suit.

nah, you didn't. cause i don't need to impart more sinister motives on those decisions. the aclu, through cluelessness and indifference to the reality of the nazis they supported, supported nazis. twice in one day. it wasn't a good day for them

then they followed up that string of oopses with "we're sorry people died but we still think we did a good :)". no need to impart sinister motives there. the aclu being foolish tools of the right today is bad enough on its own.

quote:

Let me try being more explicit, then:
You believe that preemptively restricting Kessler's rally would not have violated the ACLU's principles, based on their previous advocacy. This is not the case. You should actually read those as well, they're a great primer for the current state of 1A law in this country and written in plain English, differentiating the common usage of (for instance) "incitement" from the legal usage in this context.

no, i believe refusing to aid kessler would not have violated the ACLU's principles. full stop.

quote:

So we return to your posting."i don't like that the ACLU helped with kessler's suit, and that i don't like that the ACLUVA tweeted out pro-rightwing eyewitness accounts of leftists being mowed down by a car." is great! It's a statement of your position that can lead towards an interesting discussion of 1A absolutism, alternate standards, and the potential misapplication of those standards in the future. Even better, it doesn't rely on any inaccuracies, falsehoods, or innuendos about a sinister affection towards racist fascists.

sorry, you pulled all those from vapor. maybe learn to read? you're some lawyer right? i'd assume that'd come in handy for your profession.

quote:

It's a shame that the same cannot be said about your other posts on the topic. Coincidentally, I'm still waiting for the tweet or statement of support about ACLUVA sharing the misinformation.

you can't even handle this argument, introducing another one where you misinterpret and ignore everything doesn't sound like a good idea to me

Condiv fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 13, 2017

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

socialsecurity posted:

Nazis are extremely bad. They are also human, and as such, deserve 1st Amendment protection. This is not a defense of their speech or anything they endorse. It is a reminder that free speech is incredibly important to the health of any democratic endeavor and it is imperative that human rights remain inviolable.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

muon posted:

Nazis are extremely bad. They are also human, and as such, deserve 1st Amendment protection. This is not a defense of their speech or anything they endorse. It is a reminder that free speech is incredibly important to the health of any democratic endeavor and it is imperative that human rights remain inviolable.

nah, actually germany has outlawed swastikas and they haven't become a drooling unthinking hivemind as a result

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

muon posted:

I agree, FDR is the worst president in American history because he didn't respect the free speech rights of the Nazis, we should've left them alone to carry on with the Holocaust keep writing sternly worded articles about how much they don't like Jewish control of the media and society, it obviously would've worked out just fine if he'd left things as they were.

Wait. hm. HM. HMMMMMMMMM

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mr Interweb posted:

That's the weirdest part of all this. If Trump made a stronger statement, his idiot supporters would just say "well, obviously he's saying that with a smirk and a wink and he's still totally RAHOWA!". Trump gets brownie points from the mainstream media like a toddler who learned to poo poo inside the potty for once, and he could continue to sow the seeds of further White supremacy behind the scenes.

Because Trump is an obstinate, dumbass narcissist.

There is no 4D chess here. It's just him being shallow and sticking with the base he knows will reliably fellate him. Don't hold him to the standards of actual competent leaders.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

muon posted:

Nah, Nazis deserve painful death and nothing else. Hth.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm fine with punching Nazis. I'm also fine with kicking them or whacking them with pointy sticks.

I'm not fine with taking away their first amendment rights.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm fine with punching Nazis.

I'm fine with both.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

muon posted:

Somehow many countries that don't have the absolute right to free speech are doing way better than america on the democracy front

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

muon posted:

Please do not advocate for limiting other people's 1st Amendment rights. Thank you.

By "everything in their power" I think it was clear I mean legally. No one's violating any constitution here, Matlock.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

https://twitter.com/marcushjohnson/status/896527250010648576

muh first amendment rights! :qq:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

muon posted:

no!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 14, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm fine with both.

Then get a constitutional amendment passed saying "the above text does not apply to Nazis".

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
the important thing to remember on this day when a protester at a rally for people who are into white supremacy and who regularly express the need to genocide minorities in order to preserve civilization drove their car into a bunch of people is that free speech is an ideal more valuable than people's lives.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
ITT leftists argue for setting precedents limiting freedom of expression that will be used against them more than they ever will against Nazis.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ITT leftists argue for setting precedents limiting freedom of expression that will be used against them more than they ever will against Nazis.

I mean if institutionally the country will always be biased against leftists regardless, there's no reason to not advocate for doing the same to the far right.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How about all the countries that limit freedom of expression and are doing fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Then get a constitutional amendment passed saying "the above text does not apply to Nazis".

it already doesn't apply to people who, say, passed out pamphlets saying not to fight in WWI.

of course nazis are more often in the service of the american state than against it so I could see where the line could be drawn

• Locked thread