Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's infuriating how fast the idea that both sides were being violent is spreading. Some people will bend over backwards trying to explain how all this isn't just the white supremacist fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Then get a constitutional amendment passed saying "the above text does not apply to Nazis".

Question: Do you also disagree with other restrictions to free speech that currently exist and hasn't caused America to explode, or is it only with nazi hate speech?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Then get a constitutional amendment passed saying "the above text does not apply to Nazis".

No just kill Nazis. What's legal and what's moral aren't always aligned. They should be afraid to exist.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ITT leftists argue for setting precedents limiting freedom of expression that will be used against them more than they ever will against Nazis.

the precedents already exist. they're just only applied to minorities. hence why black panther rhetoric is incitement to violence, but nazi rhetoric isn't!

hope this helps vincent van goatse

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Party Plane Jones posted:

Black kid got away

I admit, I teared up a little at this. Good on Chuck for saving that kid, and thank God they're both relatively all right. Alive, at least.

So you've been scarily correct about how this bullshit's going to play out so far- what is your opinion on fighting back? I mean, actively punching Nazis? I'm all for it, but I admit, that's my gut speaking. Can/should violence be the answer here, or is there another way to defuse the situation?

I'm fine with punching Nazis. I'm also fine with kicking them or whacking them with pointy sticks.

I'm not fine with taking away their first amendment rights.

Same, and I'm not even American. The First Amendment is an inspiration tom people around the world, and preventing its misuse as a shield by loving Nazis is how America could and should claw its way back to global leadership.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

WampaLord posted:

By "everything in their power" I think it was clear I mean legally. No one's violating any constitution here, Matlock.

I believe you'll find the constitution quite clear where their powers lie on this point then.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gaunab posted:

It's infuriating how fast the idea that both sides were being violent is spreading. Some people will bend over backwards trying to explain how all this isn't just the white supremacist fault.

Yup! I told you guys, white people will always get the benefit of the doubt. By tomorrow afternoon half the country will believe the protestors 100% deserved it because they provoked the dude in the car with rocks or by refusing to clear the road or whatever other bullshit, that the white supremacists were peaceful until the counterprotesters started fights, etc.

Literal Nazi flags aren't enough to make people 100% against these fuckers. Both sidesism is a disease.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gentleman Baller posted:

Question: Do you also disagree with other restrictions to free speech that currently exist and hasn't caused America to explode

In general yes I do.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

muon posted:

Nazis are extremely bad. They are also human, and as such, deserve 1st Amendment protection. This is not a defense of their speech or anything they endorse. It is a reminder that free speech is incredibly important to the health of any democratic endeavor and it is imperative that human rights remain inviolable.

Most developed countries just have freedom of expression with laws against hate speech and that works just fine.

The US freedom of speech has always been token anyway. You can be racist/sexist as gently caress against the groups with less power but if what you say pisses off the government then it will find all manner of ways to gently caress you up.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 13, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

In general yes I do.

Is this the part where you wax poetic about how oppressed that Google prick was now?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Is this the part where you wax poetic about how oppressed that Google prick was now?

that would be a treat :allears:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

muon posted:

I believe you'll find the constitution quite clear where their powers lie on this point then.

You're right, everyone leave the Nazis alone. I mean really, would all of this violence happen if the counter protestors were at work (where they should be) and saving up for the newest iphone?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Can't wait till South Park does a "truth-in-the-middle" episode about this.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
Nazi ideology should fall outside the protected classes of speech for two reasons:

1) Absolutely none of it is redeemable. Historically Nazis are the go-to Bad Thing. Present day they're still poo poo with no redeeming qualities.

2) Their end goal would be to take over and restructure our government and society in ways that would render us into a completely different kind of nation. Therefore in any form they exist as enemy combatants.

They contribute absolutely nothing of worth to our society now, and given their past it seems extremely unlikely they'll magically just work this out at some point. We lose nothing by specifically making Nazi stuff out of bounds and leaving the rest alone. We can maintain the spirit of the amendment and still ban Nazi stuff.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Google Butt posted:

You're right, everyone leave the Nazis alone. I mean really, would all of this violence happen if the counter protestors were at work (where they should be) and saving up for the newest iphone?

Why would they need to do that when obamaphones oh god I can't even finish this gently caress everything

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Google Butt posted:

Please do absolutely everything in your power to speak out against the Nazis and their hateful, abhorrent views. At the same time, please do not advocate for removing their human rights. That is what I am asking for.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

muon posted:

Please do absolutely everything in your power to speak out against the Nazis and their hateful, abhorrent views. At the same time, please do not advocate for removing their human rights. That is what I am asking for.

Tell me, have you ever heard of this event called "the Holocaust?"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

muon posted:

I don't think absolute free speech in all cases is a human right. Other western countries certainly don't think it is.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

muon posted:

Speaking is ineffective at curing Nazism. A stronger remedy is required. This, for example, would be perfectly reasonable:

Chinese tourists arrested for Hitler salute in Germany

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lightning Knight posted:

No because I was specifically talking about the first amendment. Bringing up that squalid little poo poo getting fired by his employer for being as rear end in a top hat is disingenuous.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

muon posted:

Please do not advocate for treating Nazis as equals. That is what I am asking for.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

muon posted:

Just like that counter protestor's right to be a human was removed, right?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
people have a lot of lovely opinions

the world isn't made a better place if people are empowered to voice 100% of them all of the time; in fact every rear end in a top hat piping up whenever they want causes conflict

where is this line drawn? that's a good question. but unrestricted free speech is not an obtainable ideal (it's inevitably given exceptions and double standards favoring entrenched power) nor should it be sought because it does not have good results

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Google Butt posted:

Just like that counter protestor's right to being a human was removed, right?

Note who the guy who did it is now in jail.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

remove the human rights of nazis

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Andrast posted:

I don't think absolute free speech in all cases is a human right. Other western countries certainly don't think it is.

it's not even a right here lol

like we have clear and present danger that turned into imminent lawless action

but it's really hilarious when people gloss over that like some itt

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This doesn't make things any better though???

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The USA should learn from other countries that have a Nazi problem and deal with it sensibly, like Germany.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Oh word?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Gort posted:

The USA should learn from other countries that have a Nazi problem and deal with it sensibly, like Germany.

cough cough hate speech codes cough cough

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This is what I was talking about yesterday for fucks sake. gently caress this "I disagree with them but will allow them to say it" bullshit. gently caress you and gently caress everybody who thinks that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

WampaLord posted:

Speaking of Richard Spencer, prepare for Round Two: Florida Man Edition

TL;DR - UF is hosting Spencer in September. They don't want to, but they can't ban him.

reads like they can, and are hiding behind some 'freedom of speech' nonsense actually

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

hack wheeze banning nazi symbols and insignia cough cough

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm sure this is a great comfort to the dead and wounded. Maybe something should have been done to prevent it getting to the point where twenty good people are getting mowed down by hateful shitstains.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Gort posted:

No, they should be free to express their opinions and also form a party so they can be represented, they could call it the "Nazi Germany Party"

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I genuinely can not understand the minds of people who believe defending the right to incite violence is more important than defending people against said inciting of violence.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gort posted:

Everyone back the gently caress up and lol at the fact that post 1945 Germany has a way better track record on dealing with Nazis than the United States does.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
This is one of those "we know the answer but not the reason why" things. I am not a math person, but it is my understanding this arises in that field from time to time.

The answer to the question of which ideas and kinds of speech are worth banning is Nazis.

How does the formula work? What other possible answers are there? We just don't know. We only have the one answer so far.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Gort posted:

I'm sure this is a great comfort to the dead and wounded. Maybe something should have been done to prevent it getting to the point where twenty good people are getting mowed down by hateful shitstains.

but vvg sympathizes more with the nazis and their rights rather than those of the people the aim to oppress

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Gentleman Baller posted:

I genuinely can not understand the minds of people who believe defending the right to incite violence is more important than defending people against said inciting of violence.

also incitement to imminent lawless action as has been mentioned before is not protected speech

• Locked thread