Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Apprentice Dick posted:

The assistant manager of a division that is struggling in my company put in his two weeks yesterday. This leaves the company with a department where the average length of employment is now under 1 year. No one can figure out why, it certainly couldn't have been the 6 months of forced overtime on the weekends.

This must not be Illinois then.

https://www.illinois.gov/idol/Laws-Rules/FLS/Pages/ODRISA.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Update: boss was being cagey because he was in fact interviewing someone for (one of) my duties

So as far as I can tell I'm not out particularly soon because he's not being shown any of the legacy crap or any of the reporting stuff I do but lmfao if you think I'm not applying elsewhere after people pull that stunt

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shugojin posted:

Update: boss was being cagey because he was in fact interviewing someone for (one of) my duties

So as far as I can tell I'm not out particularly soon because he's not being shown any of the legacy crap or any of the reporting stuff I do but lmfao if you think I'm not applying elsewhere after people pull that stunt

Wait, is he still leaving?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah he's gone, last day was Monday. Just this other thing was happening at the same time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Apprentice Dick posted:

The assistant manager of a division that is struggling in my company put in his two weeks yesterday. This leaves the company with a department where the average length of employment is now under 1 year. No one can figure out why, it certainly couldn't have been the 6 months of forced overtime on the weekends.

Having gone from an hourly position where overtime was a daily thing to a salaried position where no one expects to work a minute over 40/week, gently caress overtime. I want to leave ASAP but it's honestly going to be tough giving up a position where a 40-hour workweek is the norm, not the exception.

E: Then again I get to sit through a 90-minute meeting today for a workflow tracking system that my department will never be able to use because it's not secure to handle the information that my group needs, so it's not exactly sunshine and unicorn semen over here either.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 9, 2017

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Nope, good old Ohio. The manager told me that they were all basically working overtime during the week and at least one day every weekend.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Long shot, but does anyone know where I can find the specific requirements for reporting your supplier diversity to the SBA?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

C-Euro posted:

Having gone from an hourly position where overtime was a daily thing to a salaried position where no one expects to work a minute over 40/week, gently caress overtime. I want to leave ASAP but it's honestly going to be tough giving up a position where a 40-hour workweek is the norm, not the exception.

E: Then again I get to sit through a 90-minute meeting today for a workflow tracking system that my department will never be able to use because it's not secure to handle the information that my group needs, so it's not exactly sunshine and unicorn semen over here either.

So where I am at now is like that with 40 hours weeks. Recent layoffs and lots of other really dumb poo poo that make it hard to do my job well are making me search. But gently caress me, just about everything in this industry will be more than 40 hours. And more pay at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So where I am at now is like that with 40 hours weeks. Recent layoffs and lots of other really dumb poo poo that make it hard to do my job well are making me search. But gently caress me, just about everything in this industry will be more than 40 hours. And more pay at least.

Arguably the most important thing I learned in grad school is that if your actual job makes you miserable but you love all of the trappings and trimmings around it, you should still leave because you will never be happy.

I can work 40.000000 hours a week without getting called out, have a 10-15 minute commute each way, and get free lunch every day. But the work I do terribly boring and I don't think I've really learned anything valuable in the two years that I've been here so I gotta move on.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 10, 2017

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

C-Euro posted:

Arguably the most important thing I learned in grad school is that if your actual job makes you miserable but you love all of the trappings and trimmings around it, you should still leave because you never be happy.

I can work 40.000000 hours a week without getting called out, have a 10-15 minute commute each way, and get free lunch every day. But the work I do terribly boring and I don't think I've really learned anything valuable in the two years that I've been here so I gotta move on.

yeah, I agree. Just sucks because day to day I like my job well enough for your average corporate gig. It's really the layoff and the general direction of the company. The company wants to shift in one direction, but the key members who would lead that/I have to closely work with are comically incompetent. And the new hires they made in that department make it clear the the company isn't serious about hiring right candidates.

basically, I am positive that my job would be safe. I just don't know what the hell the company expects to be doing in 2-3 years, because the moves don't align with the stated goals.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C-Euro posted:

Arguably the most important thing I learned in grad school is that if your actual job makes you miserable but you love all of the trappings and trimmings around it, you should still leave because you will never be happy.

Didn't you mention you were close to retirement? Just coast another couple of years and you are home free. Why not?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

John Smith posted:

Didn't you mention you were close to retirement? Just coast another couple of years and you are home free. Why not?

I'm 29 lol. Update your goon info spreadsheet!

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C-Euro posted:

I'm 29 lol. Update your goon info spreadsheet!
Hmm. Ok. Probably remember wrongly then.

Yea, probably change job then. Long way until you can collect SS. If it is still around by then...

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Growlers are sealed by the brewery normally.

What sort of bizarro brewery do you go to that does this

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's one near me that sells "Crowlers," a 32-oz. can they fill and seal in front of you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

blah_blah posted:

What sort of bizarro brewery do you go to that does this

It's not like a super seal but Victory has a pretty solid seal so that the growler stays fresh for a while

That said I think any cop can probably figure out if a growler counts as an open container by looking to see if the fluid is still in the neck part

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dunno. In Ontario the brewery puts a plastic seal around it like you would with a juice container from the factory or whatever.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I just got yelled at for not having something reviewed, by the person who replied in an email a month ago "oh hey I will take care of the review for this". Also this person who both yelled at me and didn't do their loving job is my boss.

Skipping the beer store tonight just going to the liquor store instead.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I just got yelled at for not having something reviewed, by the person who replied in an email a month ago "oh hey I will take care of the review for this". Also this person who both yelled at me and didn't do their loving job is my boss.

That's when you slide the receipts into their inbox with a "I guess there was some miscommunication?"

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Shrieking Muppet posted:

RIP you for having separate stores.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Chaotic Flame posted:

That's when you slide the receipts into their inbox with a "I guess there was some miscommunication?"

Tiny brain: Talk with your boss privately, without email
Normal brain: Forward email to boss, "Must have been miscommuncation"
Planet brain: Normal brain but BCCing your workfriends
Galaxy brain: Forward email to your boss, "What can I do to make sure we avoid this situation in the future?", BCC her boss.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Seriously, why aren't you shoving this email in your boss's face?

Actually, let's back up. First you refuse to put up with being yelled at for any goddamn reason that isn't criminal behavior. THEN you shove the email into your boss's face. You can do both of these things in a calm, professional and direct manner, involving nobody else but you and your boss, thereby giving them the chance to back down without being publicly embarrassed.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
You should invite your boss to have a beer with you op to apologize for your screw up and then when he least expects it stunner him real good

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Just want to say that as a brit, reading this thread talking about growlers is a combination of :wtc: and hilarity.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Zero Gravitas posted:

Just want to say that as a brit, reading this thread talking about growlers is a combination of :wtc: and hilarity.

Is that because in Britain a growler is some frantic risky urgent sex in an elevator or alley?

Or is my mind just latching onto that idea because it hasn't happened to me in much too long?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dongsturm posted:

Is that because in Britain a growler is some frantic risky urgent sex in an elevator or alley?

Or is my mind just latching onto that idea because it hasn't happened to me in much too long?

Disturbingly close

growler = ladyparts

EDIT: ever time I hear a discussion about American's buying a growler for their barbecue, I half expect them to go to the butchers to get some nice beef curtains for the grill.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Has anyone here had experience with Sapience Buddy being installed on their computer and what it entails, i.e. corporate surveillance, brutal weeding out of workers based on its results? This was installed recently for all employees at my place. I've read the creators of the software's take on it, which is, not surprisingly, that "Sapience is to help YOU set goals; it is not Big Brother, it is your friend!"

When I review my productivity log, it is somewhat accurate but not perfect. It is often an hour off, and does not account for every scenario- such as leaving your desk to train or assist another worker. Perhaps the human worker is a complex entity and this type of software is bound to fall short. To me the software seems like arrogant silicon valley bullshit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
If people have any sense they take those outputs with a grain of salt. Tools like that are invaluable for finding out the bottlenecks in a process and for finding people who are just taking the piss, but if your organisation starts using it to track you within an inch of your life then run away.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm suspicious of any software with a term of friendship as part of the name.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Or "buddy" in particular

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

spog posted:

Disturbingly close

growler = ladyparts

EDIT: ever time I hear a discussion about American's buying a growler for their barbecue, I half expect them to go to the butchers to get some nice beef curtains for the grill.

Do you mean like skirt steak?

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 13, 2017

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Volmarias posted:

Or "buddy" in particular

Pretty impressive resume

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

therobit posted:

Do you mean like skirt steak?

Ahem, no. Its rather more crude.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zero Gravitas posted:

Ahem, no. Its rather more crude.

Still involved skirts.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Volmarias posted:

Or "buddy" in particular

I don't know I have ever heard anyone use 'buddy' without it being a precursor to them trying to fleece/cheat/rob you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Buddy is what I reflexively call pets and small children.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

At my last job we had a relatively promising candidate who was doing fine in interviews until he called my boss's boss "buddy" which got him nixed right there.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

it is not Big Brother, it is your friend!"

FLEE

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Ugh, why is it every work number I've ever had has been previously owned by someone in collections. Is this normal or am I just cursed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It's normal. You've also just described every cell phone number of mine too.