Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Boat travel was a huge hassle relative to what?

Selling grain from Rhode Island to Boston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

Hauling stuff overland was generally far more expensive and difficult than putting it on a ship and sending a few hundred miles up the coast. To get inland, you put it on a barge in a river. The less land movement, the better.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

... that would have been loaded onto a small coaster dude.

A 70 mile overland shipment would take at least three days and multiple teams of animals, while a coaster could make the same trip in one or two days with maybe a ten man crew.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 12, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

See also: the later barge trade down the Mississippi and Missouri rivers.

Also all the canals that we dug all over the North East and on into the northern midwest in the late 18th-early 19th century. Erie Canal anyone?

Really, until trains putting poo poo on a barge and moving it along a river - either natural or man made - was THE way to go.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baron Porkface posted:

I had read that rice was THE big buisness of the early American slave plantion economy, dwarfing indigo and tobacco. It wasn't just some farmers feeding themselves

That was only after the rice farming had been in place for decades though. I don't see what you don't understand here?

Grow rice for yourselves > start having a whole lot more rice than you need locally as skill with rice develops, workarounds for local issues crop up > rice becomes a viable export crop

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

To bring things back to ancient history, does anyone want to make a judgement on the Extra Credits series on the Bronze Age Collapse? It's finally finished now that their normal lies episode is out.

They acknowledge that nobody really knows exactly what caused the collapse, but the theory that they present is that there was a combination of nomadic groups moving in on the bronze age civilizations along with decreasing crop yields leading to overall instability.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

To the best of my knowledge, the rice plantations were very isolated (and the most important ones were on Carolina's islands) so that rice has to be

1. Exported somewhere by boat, in a time when boat travel was a huge hassle

As mentioned , what travel do you think was less hassle than boats? That has literally been the most efficient method of transport since ancient times (see why the Roman Empire is built around the Mediterranean to bring things back on topic) and still is (how does all our poo poo get from China to the First World?)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

feedmegin posted:

As mentioned , what travel do you think was less hassle than boats? That has literally been the most efficient method of transport since ancient times (see why the Roman Empire is built around the Mediterranean to bring things back on topic) and still is (how does all our poo poo get from China to the First World?)

Yeah, being surrounded by water before modern transportation systems paradoxically makes you more rather than less connected. One of the reasons Egypt was such a large food exporter wasn't just the fertility of the Nile valley, but that all of the fertile land was right next to one big river. The same of course was true in the American south, where most of the major cities like Richmond and Washington DC were built up along large rivers right at the point where they ceased to be navigable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

Yeah, being surrounded by water before modern transportation systems paradoxically makes you more rather than less connected. One of the reasons Egypt was such a large food exporter wasn't just the fertility of the Nile valley, but that all of the fertile land was right next to one big river. The same of course was true in the American south, where most of the major cities like Richmond and Washington DC were built up along large rivers right at the point where they ceased to be navigable.

DC's current location was an empty swamp before chosen to be capital of the country with a new city. The fall line of the Potomac was not a particularly useful location before that.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I assumed that a Horse drawn cart would be better for short distances since you don't have to be trapped on a boat for weeks and die of a disease form the disease pit that is a ship.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

I assumed that a Horse drawn cart would be better for short distances since you don't have to be trapped on a boat for weeks and die of a disease form the disease pit that is a ship.

Remember that a cart has a rather limited capacity and only travels a couple miles per hour. Any large load going more than about 20 miles is going to be vastly easier to move on water.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's not paradoxical at all sea trade has only become more important since the ancient world. The 19th century saw an explosion in sea trade that only began to slow down in the early 2000s. Railroads may have substituted for and competed out small canal companies but they were a huge input to blue water sea trade.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Thought this thread might be interested in this. Archaeologist thinks the Vikings didn't fight in a shield wall. Translated by Google and touched up a little by me.

quote:

The close frontal formation of Viking shields that overlap and form a so-called shield wall has probably not existed, as many have otherwise believed.
"It is a widespread misunderstanding among Viking enthusiasts and us archaeologists that the Vikings have stood shield by shield and formed a close formation when they were in battle," says Cand. mag. Rolf Warming from the University of Copenhagen.
In his thesis he has been critical of the current perception of the Viking way of fighting, including the wall of shields, which he thinks is a widespread misunderstanding in our culture today.
"The shield wall can also be seen in the popular series 'Vikings' or 'The Last Kingdom' and is very beautifully made, but unfortunately remains false," says Rolf Warming.

Set-piece sword battle reveals the error
The conclusion is due, among other things, to an archaeological experiment, where Rolf Warming himself tested copies of old Viking shields in the combat situations in which the Vikings probably found themselves.
Wearing his armor and helmet, he would defend himself against a combatant helper with a sharp sword.
"It turned out that there have been far more disadvantages than the advantages in a shield formation," explains Rolf Warming.
His shield received far more and worse damage when he used it as it would be done in a shield wall, only to ward off the sword strokes. When he used it to actively ward off the opponent's sword, almost like a weapon in itself, the damage to the shield was far less, he explains.
"They were thin and relatively light shields, with which it would not be possible to just receive blow after blow in a so-called shield wall," he says.
In addition to the archaeological experiment, Rolf Warming also reviewed a number of historical sources from the Viking Age and the Middle Ages in search of battles with descriptions of shield walls. But without luck.

The shields were used actively
Rolf Warming concludes that the Vikings probably have been far more individual warriors who actively fought against the enemy with their shields swinging swiftly around the body to prevent sword stroke or hit the enemy directly with the shield's edge.
Thus, a much more active fighting style, as he explains in a previous Science article.
"The mythical shield wall has no basis in either literature or practical use," says Rolf Warming.

Changes the perception of Viking battles
Exactly where the misunderstanding has happened is still uncertain, but Rolf Warming's special supervisor Henriette Lyngstrøm, associate professor at the University of Copenhagen, has no doubt that Rolf is right.
"The supposition that the Vikings have only stood shoulder to shoulder with their shields and waited for a thrashing, I simply do not think. Here, Rolf's conclusion makes far more sense, "says Henriette Lyngstrøm, Associate Professor of Archeology at the University of Copenhagen.
"When this becomes known in the professional circles, it will definitely change the perception of the Vikings' struggles," she assesses.

'The experiment should be repeated on a larger scale'
Museum leader Anne-Christine Larsen from the Viking castle Trelleborg also tells her that she is going to take the new insight into consideration.
"It would be both relevant and exciting to test Rolf Warming's results," she says.
Every year, the museum organizes a Viking festival, where an army of volunteers rebuild old Viking battles, for example with the shield wall as a front lineup.
But even though adjustments may have to be made, the warriors may not drop the wall of shields completely.
"The experiments that Rolf has made have been man-to-man so we still need more knowledge of how the shield has worked on a larger scale, that is, with a whole army," she says.
However, Anne-Christine Larsen believes that it is important to listen to the latest knowledge in the field so that she and her colleagues have followed Rolf Warming's research with great interest.
"Here at Trelleborg we try to recreate the Viking era with as much autenticity as possible. So, if an army's trial shows that the wall of shield has not actually worked, the warriors will certainly be open to change, "she says.
"We meet with the warriors tonight, where we should discuss how we use this new knowledge," she says.

http://videnskab.dk/kultur-samfund/arkaeolog-vikinger-kaempede-ikke-bag-mure-af-skjolde

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Caribbean plantation owners. Why plant rice on good sugarcane land?

Ding ding ding.

It's less that rice in the Carolina's was super profitable in itself, more that you couldn't grow sugar in the Carolina's, so the next best thing would be to grow food for plantation island so that those islands could use their land for more sugar.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If two shield walls faced off, it wasn't a question of chopping your way through: it was a scrum: a pushing match.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

I had read that rice was THE big buisness of the early American slave plantion economy, dwarfing indigo and tobacco. It wasn't just some farmers feeding themselves

Presumably if you want slaves to grow cotton you also need to grow something to feed the slaves.

Deteriorata posted:

Remember that a cart has a rather limited capacity and only travels a couple miles per hour. Any large load going more than about 20 miles is going to be vastly easier to move on water.

Also you don't need to choose between horse drawn and on water, you can pull barges with horses.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 13, 2017

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably if you want slaves to grow cotton you also need to grow something to feed the slaves.

Also you don't need to choose between horse drawn and on water, you can pull barges with horses.

Cotton wasn't really a slave crop until the cotton gin. Rice was to feed sugar plantations in the Caribbean, so that that sugar growing land could be specialized into just sugar.

Classic comparative advantage trade.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grevling posted:

Thought this thread might be interested in this. Archaeologist thinks the Vikings didn't fight in a shield wall. Translated by Google and touched up a little by me.

http://videnskab.dk/kultur-samfund/arkaeolog-vikinger-kaempede-ikke-bag-mure-af-skjolde

It's an interesting idea and I'm not exactly wedded to any ideas about how vikings fought, but this is the thing that makes me the most suspicious:

quote:

The conclusion is due, among other things, to an archaeological experiment, where Rolf Warming himself tested copies of old Viking shields in the combat situations in which the Vikings probably found themselves.
Wearing his armor and helmet, he would defend himself against a combatant helper with a sharp sword.

Sometimes these reenacting experiments can be useful but they also have to be taken with a huge grain of salt. A whole lot of things that might seem obvious from trying to reproduce these actions and techniques in the 20th century might not have been if you're talking about someone in the 10th who trained a significant chunk of his life to be able to do it. I know Hey Gail routinely ridicules some dude who determined based on reenactments that pikes were never intended to be stabbing implements, and I seem to recall a similar clusterfuck in the debate about how effective english long bows were vs. armor.

The fact that he couldn't find any accounts of it is a lot more compelling to my mind, but then I don't know how thorough his research on that was. The fact that it has entered our common perceptions of the vikings means that it came from SOMEWHERE so the first step would be to trace references backwards and figure out what the oldest reference we have is. If it all comes down to some guy in the 18th century writing a fanciful account of Lindesfarn or something that would be really interesting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shield walls certainly did exist. Harold Godwinson's forces formed one at Hastings, and Harald Hardrada's formed one at Stamford Bridge, for all the good it did either of them. I don't know that it was going to be a regularly used tactic for piratical expeditions though, seems to me it would require a good deal of training and be most useful in a pitched battle which is not what most viking raids were about.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shield wall seems like a good way to defend a static position like a bridge from bows and slings.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Diocletian's price edict, because it gives price maxima for different trade routes, allows us to infer that transporting a load of grain 100 miles by land increased its price 56 percent, while transporting it that same distance by sea increased the price two percent. Animal power was terrible in the ancient world (slow oxen rather than horses because they didn't have a shoulder harness and their horses were smaller).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

Even a slow as poo poo merchantman can still carry 200+ tons 70 miles every day if the wind cooperates. The crew doesn't eat that much and wind is free.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Coastal shipping is way safer and healthier than cross-ocean shipping.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

also merchant ships weren't packed to the gunnels with people like warships or immigrant ships, a typical crew for a 500 ton coastal trader would be between 12 and 25.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SlothfulCobra posted:

To bring things back to ancient history, does anyone want to make a judgement on the Extra Credits series on the Bronze Age Collapse? It's finally finished now that their normal lies episode is out.

They acknowledge that nobody really knows exactly what caused the collapse, but the theory that they present is that there was a combination of nomadic groups moving in on the bronze age civilizations along with decreasing crop yields leading to overall instability.

I haven't got time to listen to what they actually said in that video right now but that sounds like way too simple an explanation even based on what we do actually know. I'd recommend 1177 BC by Eric Cline if you're interested in learning more about it.

edit: here's a video where he goes over some of the major points too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 13, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

everyone who has ever outfitted most of their dudes with shields has used a shield wall tactic at some point

the great myth in popular military history is that particular cultures were very pigeonholed tactically in different ways and that this is a big part of why one army defeats another

of course vikings didn't stand around in a shield wall on a raid or in a general melee. why would they? 17th century pirates didn't advance into caribbean settlements in rank and file with muskets and bayonets despite that being a common and effective tactic at the time for fighting another army, because duh, pirates don't have the same tactical needs. but it's equally foolish to conclude based on a modern reenactment that a large force of vikings would not use a shield wall if the situation called for advancing in a block against archers, or defending high ground, or whatever other situation might make a formation with overlapping shields useful.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 13, 2017

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

skasion posted:

Shield walls certainly did exist. Harold Godwinson's forces formed one at Hastings, and Harald Hardrada's formed one at Stamford Bridge, for all the good it did either of them. I don't know that it was going to be a regularly used tactic for piratical expeditions though, seems to me it would require a good deal of training and be most useful in a pitched battle which is not what most viking raids were about.

We have pretty good descriptions of formations that seem to be shield walls from late Roman antiquity, using equipment that looked very much like what the Vikings used. I'm suspicious that that article appears to emphasize swords when the primary weapon of most Vikings was of course the spear, which is what is generally preferred for this fighting style.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

That Byzantine History Podcast is quite entertaining, Robin Pearson is pretty engaging and seems to go off alot less on vague and kind of silly metaphors (WWI is a boxing match ad naseum) like the Hardcore History guy.

I am up to the Iconoclasts, but it was fascinating to see under Heraclius just how fast the ancient world unraveled in one mans lifetime with the rise of Islam which saw the collapse of pretty much every old near eastern power within such a short span of time, especially the slow realization in the 600's of the sources/narrative that... drat the Arabs aren't going away and I don't think we will ever take back our Empire and why is god so mad at us...

Also it was crazy to realize that from the Theodosians up till Maurice, none of the Emperors had actually been deposed in Constantinople which is crazy when you think of the history of the Empire there like a solid three hundred years of legitimacy that got ruined because Maurice was a cheap bastard and kept trying to not pay his troops.

Also Irene blinding her own son... that poo poo is hosed up as far as I can see that seems to be the first time one of the rulers actually off'ed their own kid. You get plenty of brother on brother murder, but not so much in that department.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 13, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

That Byzantine History Podcast is quite entertaining, Robin Pearson is pretty engaging and seems to go off alot less on vague and kind of silly metaphors (WWI is a boxing match ad naseum) like the Hardcore History guy.

I am up to the Iconoclasts, but it was fascinating to see under Heraclius just how fast the ancient world unraveled in one mans lifetime with the rise of Islam which saw the collapse of pretty much every old near eastern power within such a short span of time, especially the slow realization in the 600's of the sources/narrative that... drat the Arabs aren't going away and I don't think we will ever take back our Empire and why is god so mad at us...

Also it was crazy to realize that from the Theodosians up till Maurice, none of the Emperors had actually been deposed in Constantinople which is crazy when you think of the history of the Empire there like a solid three hundred years of legitimacy that got ruined because Maurice was a cheap bastard and kept trying to not pay his troops.

Also Irene blinding her own son... that poo poo is hosed up as far as I can see that seems to be the first time one of the rulers actually off'ed their own kid. You get plenty of brother on brother murder, but not so much in that department.

That's about when I realized that Crusader Kings 2 is actually accurate, because before then I assumed that there wasn't anyone in the empire who actually blinded their own children. Of course as far as I can tell, no Roman emperor became immortal or killed Cthulhu with a rowboat, unless you believe the secret history of Justinian.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a certain point you arrive at in later Roman history where every biography ends with "... and then he was blinded and exiled".

The Plague of Justinian never happening is one of the great European history what ifs. The Empire was doing quite well until then. I could easily see them reconquering all the important parts of the western empire (they probably wouldn't have bothered with Britain or northern Gaul) and holding off the Arabs without the massive depletion in their strength the plague caused.

Unless my memory of dates is totally off, one person in a single long lifetime could have seen Constantinople go from a city of perhaps 750,000 down to well under 100,000.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recall there being a period where every younger brother and/or deposed nephew got their nose cut off, until one of them decided to just take the throne despite his lack of nose

Executions started happening after that

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jack2142 posted:

irene owned

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

At the very least, Justinian could have actually secured Italy up to the Alps, although how much that would change when the Lombards come knocking is a different question.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Iconoclasts don't need eyes to see god.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They just want to destroy something beautiful.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
https://twitter.com/pompei79/status/896784555381751808

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a certain point you arrive at in later Roman history where every biography ends with "... and then he was blinded and exiled".

The Plague of Justinian never happening is one of the great European history what ifs. The Empire was doing quite well until then. I could easily see them reconquering all the important parts of the western empire (they probably wouldn't have bothered with Britain or northern Gaul) and holding off the Arabs without the massive depletion in their strength the plague caused.

Unless my memory of dates is totally off, one person in a single long lifetime could have seen Constantinople go from a city of perhaps 750,000 down to well under 100,000.

Thats what I gathered too, the arrival of what sounds to be essentially the black death is the thing that ruins everything, especially since in the podcast it gets noted it wasn't one massive wave that killed everyone... it kept poping up every 20-30 years for a century or more killing huge swathes of the population. The Empire seems to recover in the late 800's partially just because the plagues stop ravaging everything.

cheetah7071 posted:

I recall there being a period where every younger brother and/or deposed nephew got their nose cut off, until one of them decided to just take the throne despite his lack of nose

Executions started happening after that

Justinian the Second, and that was because the guy who took over from him wanted to be merciful, usually they just killed the person before then. After Justinian came back... then they started doing the blinding of potential usurpers. Haven't got to them starting castrating people instead yet though.

HEY GAIL posted:

irene owned

Its pretty insane that she pulled off becoming Roman Empress, but she still was not a good person.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 13, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All I see is a cock strutting.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
It's a symbol of the god Fascinus, who was the Roman god of the penis and of male fertility. You see a lot of them out there, usually as amulets, because they're supposed to protect men against evil and curses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

All I see is a cock strutting.

Did Latin have the same chicken = cock = penis thing going on, or is that an Englishism?