Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this burn player playing for t8 at birmingham has 4 shrine of burning rage and 0 eidolon of the great revel

huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Elyv posted:

this burn player playing for t8 at birmingham has 4 shrine of burning rage and 0 eidolon of the great revel

huh

Huh indeed

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

huh

makes you think...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's cool that now that mtgo results are hidden, people are going to be forced to cargo-cult off of obviously suboptimal builds that run hot during a gp

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
remember that vialless death and taxes build that made top 8 with four Windbrisk Heights

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

huh

:thunk:

little munchkin posted:

remember that vialless death and taxes build that made top 8 with four Windbrisk Heights

I keep wanting to build D&T but I have this weird mental hurdle against buying Vials at $50 apiece that stops me from doing so.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I too, have forgotten what Cavern of Souls does.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

:thunk:

I keep wanting to build D&T but I have this weird mental hurdle against buying Vials at $50 apiece that stops me from doing so.

look for deals on heavily/moderately played

i paid 30 six months ago for beat up german ones from scg

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I had two radically different matches as Norin Sisters vs Merfolk at fmm. First guy is a fair match meaning I just outvalue him, game two he has to cast master of waves for 5 devotion into 2 sisters and a pridemate. I untap and show him Legion Loyalist and Fling.

Second Merfolk guy goes t1 cavern into vial, I play a sister, he goes t2 island, chalice on 1.

:what:

Later he plays a Sulfur Falls and tells me that he took his Blood Moons out of the deck last night.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Count Bleck posted:

I too, have forgotten what Cavern of Souls does.
The teen that won that match on Jeskai is the local "Best Teen in the Store" that I have posted about occasionally over the last few years. Although now that he's been to like 4 Pro Tours and Day 2-ed 3 of them, he's more like the local "Best Magic Player in the Region"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Archenteron posted:

I had two radically different matches as Norin Sisters vs Merfolk at fmm. First guy is a fair match meaning I just outvalue him, game two he has to cast master of waves for 5 devotion into 2 sisters and a pridemate. I untap and show him Legion Loyalist and Fling.

Second Merfolk guy goes t1 cavern into vial, I play a sister, he goes t2 island, chalice on 1.

:what:

Later he plays a Sulfur Falls and tells me that he took his Blood Moons out of the deck last night.

Maindecking chalice in merfolk is spicy, I like it. Living on the edge.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/swedebit/status/896712490909913088

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

huh

Could someone explain why these two would be synergistic in the first place? They seem completely at odds with each other to me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Could someone explain why these two would be synergistic in the first place? They seem completely at odds with each other to me.

they're not. the shocking thing is taking out eidolons and replacing them with shrines

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

standard burn lists play 0 Shrines because the card is slow as molasses. They play 4 Eidolons because it damages your opponent whenever they play like 90% of the spells in their deck. It damages you when you play 100% of the spells in your deck but that's ok because they'll probably die first

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's GDS playing that makes assloads of Zombies?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What's GDS playing that makes assloads of Zombies?

liliana the last hope

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

huh

well this guy is in the finals now

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Shrine cannot be good enough when people are playing Kolaghan's Command or killing you turn 4, but hell maybe it's just great?

e: his opponent is siding in Surgical Extraction so I guess this burn deck is going to win

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 13, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

He won game 1 also with boros charm top deck win.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

little munchkin posted:

look for deals on heavily/moderately played

i paid 30 six months ago for beat up german ones from scg

I mean yeah that's the right way to do it, but I'm also trying to get myself to stop building so many decks because I don't play enough to warrant having a half-dozen Modern decks.

Or I should just figure out how to squeeze more Magic into my schedule! :v:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I mean yeah that's the right way to do it, but I'm also trying to get myself to stop building so many decks because I don't play enough to warrant having a half-dozen Modern decks.

Or I should just figure out how to squeeze more Magic into my schedule! :v:

Jam every deck you want to buy on Xmage to avoid buying it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

e: his opponent is siding in Surgical Extraction so I guess this burn deck is going to win

:wtf: I missed that, seriously?

"hmm let me side a card that's good when your opponent has certain key cards in their deck against redundancy.dec"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

:wtf: I missed that, seriously?

"hmm let me side a card that's good when your opponent has certain key cards in their deck against redundancy.dec"

it's just much worse than a thoughtseize

also he drew it and it was bad

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

it's just much worse than a thoughtseize

also he drew it and it was bad

I actually have a hard time imagining a card in a modern deck that is worse against burn than surgical extraction

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

I actually have a hard time imagining a card in a modern deck that is worse against burn than surgical extraction

Leveler.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Leveler.

in a modern deck, not just in modern

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

in a modern deck, not just in modern

Clearly you haven't faced Shared Fate + Leveler.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Clearly you haven't faced Shared Fate + Leveler.

:emo:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

This gauntlet is bullshit:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/throwback-standard-gauntlet-5-ravnica-2017-08-08

I mean I know Project X probably doesn't work as well online since it takes so many clicks to gain life but not having a Dredge, Magnivore or UB Teachings deck seems wrong and having an actually good Dragonstorm list just makes it seem like that's the list you want to hit no matter what.

That Gifts deck also seems like it's going to get the poo poo kicked out of it, either from being way too slow or from people being incapable of playing it correctly. Also I dunno why that Hana Kami is in the sideboard, I'm literally always bringing it into the maindeck before playing the games.

Speaking of, put those loving Jittes into the maindeck of Zoo, come on.

Mirrodin Standard was actually fun if you ignored Affinity and Skullclamp and Krark Clan Ironworks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The description of Pickles seems totally unrelated to the actual decklist, lmao

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

UB Teachings

Dralnu de Lourve, gently caress you for contributing to the zero-fun-deck-names sensation.

You don't get to talk about Pickles or Ghost Dad and call something [colors] [cards].

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dralnu de Lourve, gently caress you for contributing to the zero-fun-deck-names sensation.

You don't get to talk about Pickles or Ghost Dad and call something [colors] [cards].

I have an altered Dralnu because of that deck, I just didn't think any of you would have known what I was talking about. Glad to see you at least have good taste.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Also, that deck is not Ghost Dad, so not using the name is accurate.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TwistedNails posted:

Jam every deck you want to buy on Xmage to avoid buying it.

I need to do that too :negative: But first I need to get a job where I don't have to work so many nights!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

My experience says the Surgical will be great and the bad player will win because of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
For every time Surgical is great, it's horrible 5 times. I've stopped playing it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

For every time Surgical is great, it's horrible 5 times. I've stopped playing it.

Same. Most often you just wish you hadn't drew it. Even when I'm using it to extract a snapcaster or eternal witness target, it's still just a 1-for-1. And when I've tried it in the ET mirror, I saw that when you use it to surgical out a tron piece, you actually go down a card and sacrifice a land, they still keep the same number of lands and next turn they're playing a TKS off of a temple anyway.

I still like it as a meta call if your meta has a lot of dredge, when it hits amalgams it's really good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Question Time! I copy Fleecemane Lion with Mirage Mirror then activate the monstrosity ability. The turn ends and it becomes a regular mirror again (with a +1/+1 counter on it, i guess). Next turn I copy Fleecemane again.

Is the mirror still considered Monstrous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
If elves takes off and keeps winning turn 3 druid is going to eat a ban.