Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I don't want to waddle into this argument but, I've heard that there were 150 white supremacist retards marching over the weekend. Is that a true number or was it more/less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Taintrunner posted:

you do understand that leftist groups like antifa, john brown gun club, redneck revolt, etc. actually organize and think through and practice this poo poo before going out and "Bourne style" or whatever your delusions of glorious ubermensch Nazis popping heads off trust fund college kids may be

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Hi, if you support taking away one groups free speech rights than you support taking away everyone's. Its great you aren't a supporter of the ACLU but they will defend your rights regardless.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byolante posted:

Hi, if you support taking away one groups free speech rights than you support taking away everyone's. Its great you aren't a supporter of the ACLU but they will defend your rights regardless.

again: fascists are the exception that proves the rule. they literally seek to take away the rights of marginalized identities and violently oppress and subjugate them. this is why groups like antifa work to deny them the luxury they seek to take away from everyone else.

now that Nazis are now literally running down and killing peaceful counter protestors in street,
your fantasies of decorum saving the day are no longer of use

but uh, have fun at your next rally to restore sanity, America has really turned it around since then, heh.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

I don't want to waddle into this argument but, I've heard that there were 150 white supremacist retards marching over the weekend. Is that a true number or was it more/less?

I haven't seen a number higher than 200. Seems like reports are trying to make it look bigger than it was, but that one pic of them on campus was all of them. There were probably more counter protesters there on the second day.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HIJK posted:

"
e: I find it highly amusing that internet tough guy keyboard warriors are wandering through here pretending they have what it takes to stand up to a real skinhead. A real skinhead can pop your head straight off your neck, and won't hesitate to do so.

all the more reason to eradicate them

Byolante posted:

the aclu defends nazis. that aint cool

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Looks about right from the tiki torch vigil pictures, not sure about the saturday numbers though, counter protester numbers looked way up on saturday though.

Apparently lots of the white supremacist folks were from out of state as well, so it's not like you can extrapolate out those numbers and say there are tens of thousands in on this poo poo nationwide, since people from allover the country came in for that embarrassingly tiny turnout.

Taintrunner posted:

you do understand that leftist groups like antifa, john brown gun club, redneck revolt, etc. actually organize and think through and practice this poo poo before going out and "Bourne style" or whatever your delusions of glorious ubermensch Nazis popping heads off trust fund college kids may be

Here's a sneak peek at their rigorous practice sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3KsuzfSMjg

Taintrunner posted:

again: fascists are the exception that proves the rule. they literally seek to take away the rights of marginalized identities and violently oppress and subjugate them. this is why groups like antifa work to deny them the luxury they seek to take away from everyone else.
Antifa are worthless coddled babies fetishizing communism and using accusations of fascism as license to assault people they don't agree with, which makes them more like fascists than anyone else involved.

Taintrunner posted:

they literally seek to take away the rights of marginalized identities and violently oppress and subjugate them.
:ironicat:
Have you been ignoring how they've been reacting to conservatives invited to talk at liberal colleges or is that also good old fash bashing?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

got any sevens posted:

the aclu defends nazis. that aint cool

The problem with a right like free speech is if you ever allow a precedent to be set against it you are pretty much hosed forever. Cases like Skokie have to be fought because one day you won't be the person with the bike lock and at that point the rule of law is all you can rely on.

Taintrunner posted:

now that Nazis are now literally running down and killing peaceful counter protestors in street,

but uh, have fun at your next rally to restore sanity, America has really turned it around since then, heh.

First of all you should probably learn what that phrase means. The idpol warriors can't help themselves, they don't want to stop with nazis, they will and do attack anyone who isn't 100% under their thumb.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Byolante posted:

Nazis don't deserve rights but everyone else does

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

breaklaw posted:

I haven't seen a number higher than 200. Seems like reports are trying to make it look bigger than it was, but that one pic of them on campus was all of them. There were probably more counter protesters there on the second day.
even when we're dealing with explicit white supremacists, the media can't help but do its job of overblowing their numbers by several hundred percent, while counter-protesters get ignored and written off

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
I approve of censorship and violence, like any true liberal

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I objected to the actions of anti-fa, left wing activists during these moments

-sucker punching richard spencer when he was not (at the time) inciting violence
-destroying public property. (Even when it indeed was BoA because gently caress them,)
-shutting down milo's speech, and others who are "conservative", not neo-nazis
-setting up road blocks denying people the ability to cross the street to get to their job.

Friday was when I through out my principles of non-violence, and went "Go right ahead. These people have more than deserved it". Marching around at night with torches, nazi paraphernalia, confederate flags in a campus where there was minorities, lgbt and others? That's not free speech. That's harassment.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
To be clear I'm also all for smacking those specific shitbags and/or getting them fired and ruining their lives

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
preventing people from crossing the street to go to work is the point of a protest. you have to make people mad that you're interfering with their way of life, but also be strong enough that they can't shut you down directly, and instead have to petition their representatives to give into your protest's demands

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

got any sevens posted:

all the more reason to eradicate them

larping is cheap, and nothing I see here convinces me you understand what you're pushing for. The point of civilized discourse is to keep violence to a minimum and the moment you break that social contract you clear away the rules which puts the other side on an even playing field with you.

You say stuff like """""eradicate""""" but you are not ready for what that means and you will not be prepared if the violent hardcore right decides they've had enough. Do not step over that line.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Taintrunner posted:

You could argue that perhaps the ACLU shouldn't use their resources to defend them but you can't argue the first amendment out of existence, whether you like it or not there's no Nazi exception in our first amendment jurisprudence. Even the liberal SCOTUS justices would agree on this point.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think a possible good step in the right direction would be to separate those that we saw in the rally today and those that hold conservative beliefs.

I don't know how you quite accomplish that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HIJK posted:

larping is cheap, and nothing I see here convinces me you understand what you're pushing for. The point of civilized discourse is to keep violence to a minimum and the moment you break that social contract you clear away the rules which puts the other side on an even playing field with you.

You say stuff like """""eradicate""""" but you are not ready for what that means and you will not be prepared if the violent hardcore right decides they've had enough. Do not step over that line.

ok there Neville Chamberlain

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Let me explain it to you in as simple as terms as possible. Nazis are literally the exception that proves the rule when it comes to defending free speech rights, because they are the political project who seek to do little more than take it away from as many people as possible, through means of violence and oppression. America literally put young men on boats and sent them across the Atlantic to shoot Nazis in the head not a century before.

Nazis, which is what these people idolize, seek to be, and for all intent and purposes are, have an outspoken belief in violent oppression, and are absolutely a tool of right wing neofascist conservatives like Ted Cruz to point at and go "oh not me nuh uh I'm not that bad" while turning around and proposing violent patrols of Muslim communities. They are, quite simply, the only group that is not entitled to assembly, because they seek to take that right away from literally everyone else that does not look like them.
I disagree. As heinous as they are, they are as entitled to speech and assembly as anyone else. When they launch a coup or a violent insurrection than you can put down the individual belligerents, but I am far more afraid of your blanket "people who self-identify as nazi's (but also these other people I've decided are nazi's since there's really no litmus test) should be stripped of their fundamental rights" ideas, and what they would mean for our society, than I am of these right wing idiots.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HIJK posted:

This is some hilarious bootlicking and utterly pathetic. Yes, yes, kneel before the all powerful fascists more, surely "civilized discourse" will win out, just like every single time in history where fascists were defeated with... physical violence. Oh.

The Nazis won power because the rich liberals in power simply gave it to them. They thought they could win them over with "civilized discourse" and "keeping the violence to a minimum" by compromising to the fascists over and over until... the fascists were in power. Oops.

MaxxBot posted:

You could argue that perhaps the ACLU shouldn't use their resources to defend them but you can't argue the first amendment out of existence, whether you like it or not there's no Nazi exception in our first amendment jurisprudence. Even the liberal SCOTUS justices would agree on this point.

Strafgesetzbuch section 86a seems to be working just fine, Nazi salutes in public even from an individual are met with swift dismantling in Germany. Regardless, leftist groups like antifa are not currently clamoring for a judicial solution to the violent fascist extremists. The problem with the hardline "free speech" fetishists is that over the past several years it's been time and time again used to defend the worst excesses of the extremist right and never used in defense of the suppression of left-wing or leftist voices. Liberals have this bizarre fetish for kowtowing to right wing violent thugs and thinking that "civilized discourse" will somehow win out, even when they're running down and killing peaceful opposition in the street. Since the start of the Tea Party a decade ago, it's clear that this simply does. not. work. anymore. Just look at who's in the White House, for gently caress's sake.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think a possible good step in the right direction would be to separate those that we saw in the rally today and those that hold conservative beliefs.

I don't know how you quite accomplish that.

It's pretty clear that antifa isn't going after say... Randian conventions or Big Pharma conferences, but the worst of the worst of far right extremism.

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Aug 13, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

This is some hilarious bootlicking and utterly pathetic. Yes, yes, kneel before the all powerful fascists more, surely "civilized discourse" will win out, just like every single time in history where fascists were defeated with... physical violence. Oh.

The Nazis won power because the rich liberals in power simply gave it to them. They thought they could win them over with "civilized discourse" and "keeping the violence to a minimum" by compromising to the fascists over and over until... the fascists were in power. Oops.

I will believe it when you have the balls to do it. Like I said, larping is easy and bullshit is cheap. You can type all you want but it is words words words words.

You want some violence? You want to engage? Try actually doing it. Don't pawn it off on some far left group. I mean it. Try hitting these people with a bike lock or something. Prove how tough you actually are insteading of whining about "muh bootlicking" because every post you put up here takes valuable time away from the actual dirty work of hitting people.

Just do it. Make your dreams come true.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sir, this is an arby's, can I take your order please

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

HIJK posted:

not confronting fascists and buying into their narrative about being too spoopy for us to handle is a great strategy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
remember that time when germans wouldn't even let hilter get a word in and then he got so mad he invaded poland???

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/896820888930332672

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

not confronting fascists and buying into their narrative about being too spoopy for us to handle is a great strategy

I would be more confident about confronting them if I thought there was a chance to win. As it stands right now, I think an actual physical altercation would result in the left getting creamed. I've met antifa members. Very few were ready for an actual fight to the death and I don't want to see more people die.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

HIJK posted:

I would be more confident about confronting them if I thought there was a chance to win. As it stands right now, I think an actual physical altercation would result in the left getting creamed. I've met antifa members. Very few were ready for an actual fight to the death and I don't want to see more people die.

I've seen antifa and I've seen fascists. I like the Left's odds.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think that organized political violence is stupid no matter who's doing it

also re:charlotte, apparently the cops there had orders to stand by and do nothing, which had predictable results

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

I've seen antifa and I've seen fascists. I like the Left's odds.

:shrug: I guess we'll find out.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/eclecticbrotha/status/896327115821518849

electric bootlicker should be mocked forever

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yeah I posted that earlier, but it needs to be brought up again.

What needs to be told to these lanyard types, these idiots that work at buzzfeed/mtv and any other idiot with economic privilege is simply this:

"You're not helping. You're making things worse.".

Because the jackasses that self radicalized at this lovely rally? Likely what played a part in it was the above. I am not saying this against people that are doing organizing in communities, volunteering and actively trying to improve conditions. Those people are not only "Good", they're VITAL. I'll proudly get behind someone who's say, organizing labor strikes and rallies against police violence.

But the upper class people we're discussing? They've caused a lot of harm, and they've allowed this to happen. It's time for them to step aside because if they don't? More of this poo poo is going to keep on coming down the pike.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/896874258990854144

Let's mock this idiot too.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah I posted that earlier, but it needs to be brought up again.

What needs to be told to these lanyard types, these idiots that work at buzzfeed/mtv and any other idiot with economic privilege is simply this:

"You're not helping. You're making things worse.".

Because the jackasses that self radicalized at this lovely rally? Likely what played a part in it was the above.
I broadly disagree with critical legal studies and CRT. I generally agree with the Google manifesto and the 30 studies that support its claims, and with ending programs like Head Start which do not work. I find Hillary Clinton repugnant and I am glad she lost even if I hate that Trump won. This evidently makes me a fascist and a Nazi, and while I have no intention of swinging wildly to the right like a petty bitch, it's hard to keep giving a gently caress when you're told it's not enough to want a robust welfare state with equal opportunity for all if you're unwilling to embrace anti-intellectual tribalist bullshit.

I don't think the danger was ever that the woke twitterati were going to push Bernie Bros into the alt-right, it's that the Bernie supporters would exercise their privilege and opt out.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the trump tutelage posted:

I broadly disagree with critical legal studies and CRT. I generally agree with the Google manifesto and the 30 studies that support its claims, and with ending programs like Head Start which do not work. I find Hillary Clinton repugnant and I am glad she lost even if I hate that Trump won. This evidently makes me a fascist and a Nazi, and while I have no intention of swinging wildly to the right like a petty bitch, it's hard to keep giving a gently caress when you're told it's not enough to want a robust welfare state with equal opportunity for all if you're unwilling to embrace anti-intellectual tribalist bullshit.

I don't think the danger was ever that the woke twitterati were going to push Bernie Bros into the alt-right, it's that the Bernie supporters would exercise their privilege and opt out.

i think women are genetically inferior and it really makes me mad when people call me out on it

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
That's a hosed up opinion my dude.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

You should delete your account

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/LPNational/status/894543356138852356

more dumbasses for the dumbass god

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kim Bong Un

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

Kim Bong Un

gently caress you you beat me to it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

If the "Twitterati" is all it takes for you to give up on your commitment to a robust welfare state and "equal opportunity for all", your commitment to it is as performative and vacuous as theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

wizard on a water slide posted:

If the "Twitterati" is all it takes for you to give up on your commitment to a robust welfare state and "equal opportunity for all", your commitment to it is as performative and vacuous as theirs

There's a difference between political disengagement and abandoning core principles, especially when neither candidate deserves your vote and one party in particular is coasting on being the lesser of two evils.

• Locked thread