Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DKD posted:

"It would look more dignified without the tampons on its back."
:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DKD posted:

My wife on the Sinanju: "It would look more dignified without the tampons on its back."

She should really be more respectful of the machine piloted by the great Full Frontal.

Wife is neggin you dawg

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
So today, I put in a different hand for one of my kits and it was super wobbly. What's a good way to fix this?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Beelerzebub posted:

So today, I put in a different hand for one of my kits and it was super wobbly. What's a good way to fix this?

Putting a gloss/ flat coat on the ball joint can help with the joint. Worse case scenario, glue it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dab a tiny amount of super glue on the joint and let it dry. Makes the joint just a hair bigger and results in a firmer hold

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

DKD posted:

My wife on the Sinanju: "It would look more dignified without the tampons on its back."

She should really be more respectful of the machine piloted by the great Full Frontal.

Even so...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shut up banagher

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I prefer nail polish for making joint connections thicker.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?7hmxEf-2-MU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone bought the new Blue Destiny yet? I'm wondering how well it can cross its arms over to have both hands hold the machine gun. I found my Ground GM it is based on has a hell of a time crossing its arms without popping the whole thing out of the socket. The old Ez8 kit solved this by adding a second moving joint in the shoulder plate to give it just enough extra reach to get both hands on the gun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh.

P-Bandai's doing a MG GM command from the Sniper II. Can't say I'm fond of it being P-Bandai, but... it's nice to get a new kit for it, I suppose.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

After much delay on my part, I've started working my resin Mazinkaiser kit.

Painting the head and chest details on this thing is going to be fun :suicide:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

After much delay on my part, I've started working my resin Mazinkaiser kit.

Painting the head and chest details on this thing is going to be fun :suicide:

You could save yourself a headache and just buy the SOC. :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

You could save yourself a headache and just buy the SOC. :v:

get a figure when there's a model kit of it? Never!

I bought this kit almost two years ago, before the SOC was announced. It's around $150 bucks cheaper then the SOC and there's always the thing of sunk costs and all that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

get a figure when there's a model kit of it? Never!

I bought this kit almost two years ago, before the SOC was announced. It's around $150 bucks cheaper then the SOC and there's always the thing of sunk costs and all that.

Well I'm drat well not gonna recommend Koto's Mazinkaiser model kit. If it's anything like their Shin Getter I would get a better build experience with a Daban kit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The shin getter was bad? That's a shame. What were the major issues?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

The shin getter was bad? That's a shame. What were the major issues?

The kit is basically an old 1/100 SEED NG...that is priced at 6,800 yen. No inner frame, some pieces weren't even molded in the right color, and nevermind not having all of Shin Getter's green trim done with translucent green plastic - the lazy fucks couldn't even be bothered to provide green stickers for it.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

EVGA Longoria posted:

I prefer nail polish for making joint connections thicker.

I have a small bottle of brush-on nail polish for this purpose, yeah. Dries nice and quick.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have advice or would be willing to explain their method for top-coating with matte finish?

I've been pretty happy with my panel lining technique and doing minor detail painting, and figure top-coating is the next step. Fortunately I have an grunt colored Rick Dias that I can experiment on this weekend.

I'm trying to figure out to what degree I should disassemble the model, and also how many coats to do if that's a thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You don't want it so disassembled that the joints are all gunked up when you rebuild it, but not so fully assembled that they fuse either. I learned that lesson with my prototype gouf.

Generally I'll top coat limbs and torso. And make sure you ease the joints so it can still move. My other mistake was using a heavier brand of coat that was not meant for models but large outdoor plastics. So don't do that

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Like Arcsquad said, unless you've already opened up the joints with sanding to allow the extra space for the paint do it while the model is together.

I forgot this on my MG Sniper 2 in a few places I'm currently painting, some places it's not too bad, but one of them is smack bang in the middle of the inner elbow with nothing to cover it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Zebulon posted:

I have a small bottle of brush-on nail polish for this purpose, yeah. Dries nice and quick.

"brush-on nail polish"? do you think we use spray-on? :confused:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
GM GaoGaiGar is MASSIVE!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

GM GaoGaiGar is MASSIVE!

Please tell me where I can pre order this glorious thing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

Please tell me where I can pre order this glorious thing.

http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/gundam-central-gm-gaogaigar-model-kit

Lots more pictures here too: http://www.inask.net/blog-entry-880.html http://www.inask.net/blog-entry-881.html

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Caitlin posted:

"brush-on nail polish"? do you think we use spray-on? :confused:

There's apparently a ton of spray on nail polish products, and not talking airbrushed on stuff.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Blackchamber posted:

There's apparently a ton of spray on nail polish products, and not talking airbrushed on stuff.

all I can say is that I've never known a woman or been in a nail salon that used spray on nail polish unless they were airbrushing for some fancy arty fake nail, and even then a lot of times they'll use an acrylic spray and just seal it with polish or whatever :v: but that doesn't mean it doesn't EXIST... I just don't think anyone would assume you mean nail polish that comes without a brush either :toot:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

You never know. One of those spray on polishes is a clear coat, and in a hobby where people use floor protector as a top coat and wipe their panel lines with lighter fluid I don't think anything is a given.

Besides a spray on nail polish might go on in a more even coat on models than with the included brush type.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Wow that's a lot cheaper than I was expecting. Hope the model quality isn't total crap.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

Wow that's a lot cheaper than I was expecting. Hope the model quality isn't total crap.

Well it helps when you don't have to incorporate diecast, paint (pre-painted Liner Gao aside), or a transformation gimmick. Prime92 was sent GMC's early access kit and she should have her review up for it sometime this weekend so we should have a good idea of the plastic/build quality then.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I opened up my heart and wallet to the glory of that big delicious GaoGaiGar, and as long as it's less of a nightmare to build than one of Wave's old plastic Five Star Stories kits(Vatshuuuuuuuuuuu!) I will be absolutely thrilled to spend an assload of time making it as perfect as I can. Also it's completely affordable, so hell yeah my wallet only bled a little.

Now I just need to think up a little stand for it, so I can have it looking proper awesome as is befitting the King of Braves.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well, Prime92 can't review her GGG yet as the early access kit she got from GMC was missing a part that comes with the normal release, but she did comment that if that missing part fixes the one problem she has with the kit, then it's spectacular.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Funky Valentine posted:

Holy poo poo where can I obtain this.

Wait for it to come out and then order it off taobao. If you're lucky either GK-M will recast it or Gundam Model Center will order a batch so you can use their sites, but if you're unlucky you'll have to deal with taobao middlemen. Or eBay.

If anyone's interested I can start posting about recent/upcoming resin kits (GM III, Reborns, Wing Fenice, Zaku F2000, FA mkIII, etc). Checking taobao is practically a daily habit now.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Wait for it to come out and then order it off taobao. If you're lucky either GK-M will recast it or Gundam Model Center will order a batch so you can use their sites, but if you're unlucky you'll have to deal with taobao middlemen. Or eBay.

If anyone's interested I can start posting about recent/upcoming resin kits (GM III, Reborns, Wing Fenice, Zaku F2000, FA mkIII, etc). Checking taobao is practically a daily habit now.

A 1/100 Zaku F2000?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone wanna buy or trade? I got some cool stuff from the Otakon Gunpla mystery bag at the Bluefin booth and have some backlog to get rid of.

PG Skygrasper + Aile Strike, RG Sinanju, HG Real Type RX-78, HG Hy-Gogg, and a Milk White Petit'gguy.

It's all in SA-Mart. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830257 Got some trades I'd love to get but I'd be interested to hear whatever people are offering.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
So a hand part went flying off and landed in the trash. I emptied the can, found the part, and then put it aside while I cleaned up my mess.

I have no loving idea where that piece is now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Interesting result from topcoating my ground GM. I put on the panel lines a little thick because the base plastic wasn't taking thing lines very well. When I sprayed, it started to run and pool in places. I actually kind of like the look of it. Like grease or oil stains.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Interesting result from topcoating my ground GM. I put on the panel lines a little thick because the base plastic wasn't taking thing lines very well. When I sprayed, it started to run and pool in places. I actually kind of like the look of it. Like grease or oil stains.

Oh, thank god someone had the same trouble I did with the stickers on those chest radiators.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah. I'd see if I couldn't cultivate it in one or two other good spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm trying to figure out a way to do that. What would be a good, non destructive way to thin the coat out enough that I could use a brush on it to smooth and splotch as I please?

As for the vent stickers, I didn't bother because I'd assembled it before putting them on, thereby screwing up. Not a big deal either way though.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 14, 2017