Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

At least for the RV trailer role from the research I've done since last night it seems like even the most aerodynamic fixed-roof trailers basically double the drag-related power consumption of a Model X, and then whatever they weigh hurts similarly when going up hills (though likewise helping regen when going down). At that point 100kWh of battery in the trailer would just be mostly making up for the trailer being there on its own if even that, definitely not adding hundreds of miles more range.

I haven't seen anyone posting about smaller trailers like a popup camper or how I'd imagine a dedicated power expansion system. I'd be very interested in the range impacts of a narrower and lower trailer that fit cleanly behind the vehicle from a drag perspective.

Yeah, pulling a trailer definitely sucks some juice. If consumption doubled and you trailered a battery to give you double capacity, you would get back the lost range, but the charging time per unit of distance will still be double, given that the charging power doesn't double as well. But think a bit more, consider the price of a 100 kWh battery and how it would mostly sit unused outside your house, even if you're an avid camper. Two simpler, cheaper alternatives: a tent or a luxury resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wolrah posted:

At least for the RV trailer role from the research I've done since last night it seems like even the most aerodynamic fixed-roof trailers basically double the drag-related power consumption of a Model X, and then whatever they weigh hurts similarly when going up hills (though likewise helping regen when going down). At that point 100kWh of battery in the trailer would just be mostly making up for the trailer being there on its own if even that, definitely not adding hundreds of miles more range.

I haven't seen anyone posting about smaller trailers like a popup camper or how I'd imagine a dedicated power expansion system. I'd be very interested in the range impacts of a narrower and lower trailer that fit cleanly behind the vehicle from a drag perspective.

I thought about that, and it would be nice if there was a plug that could charge the battery near the trailer hitch. You could have a generator in the trailer, run it on the highway to charge the car/extend the range. run it at the campsite to run your fridge and radio.

If the trailer is the thing killing your range, why not also make it a range extender.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Powershift posted:

You could have a generator in the trailer, run it on the highway to charge the car/extend the range. run it at the campsite to run your fridge and radio.

Ah, life in the wilderness.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to open up a ballast stand at the top of a long windy road where I rent out a water tank trailer to EVs so they get extra regen going down hills. Then they get emptied out and pulled back up the hill by a fleet of solar recharged model X's.

I'll be printing money I tell you!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to open up a ballast stand at the top of a long windy road where I rent out a water tank trailer to EVs so they get extra regen going down hills. Then they get emptied out and pulled back up the hill by a fleet of solar recharged model X's.

I'll be printing money I tell you!

No the plan is you coordinate EV owners at the top and bottom of the hill and turn them into a crude funicular. The one going down hill drags another one coming up hill.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

D C posted:

No the plan is you coordinate EV owners at the top and bottom of the hill and turn them into a crude funicular. The one going down hill drags another one coming up hill.

A ski lift for cars.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

D C posted:

I think you have to combine these two ideas, so that the car at the top always weighs more by having some ballast. And then you have a solar/wind-powered winch/pump that pulls the discarded ballast back to the top.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Just returned from a trip to Iceland and was surprised by the number of Nissan Leafs there. I guess it makes sense considering most don't leave the city center often, or go too far when they do.

One thing that caught my interest was the VW UP. Has anyone driven one? I saw exactly one my whole trip.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are quite a few of those here, though mostly as Skoda City Go. I haven't driven one by my colleague used to have one and I got a ride once. It felt pretty gutless and cramped in the back, but the front seats were ok for a tiny shitbox I guess. Once you go above the complete poverty spec it isn't that cheap either, so unless you absolutely must have a tiny car, I didn't see a reason to get it over a few year old larger car.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just want the Chevy 20 percent off sale to come back so I can get a 2017 Volt for like 4k more than what my 2013 is worth

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Mercedes/Maybach released a new concept...

Smug grin? [Check]

20ft length? [Check]

Personalized luggage with custom compartment? [Check]

Super-futuristic, spaceship interior? [Check]

Masterstroke.

If this is built for less than $250k, I will be purchasing it. Never before has a car so enthralled me.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-19/the-new-mercedes-maybach-concept-is-a-20-foot-long-convertible

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They say it's not going into full production.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

They say it's not going into full production.

I hope someone takes the hint and does anything remotely similar.

A 20ft convertible with 750 horsepower and ultra-lux gt accommodations makes me hot in the pants.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
W... How do you park it anywhere

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Sicilian posted:

Mercedes/Maybach released a new concept...

[some buzzfeed poo poo with gifs]

If this is built

I'm gonna cut you off right there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Agronox posted:

That's the valets problem

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wasn't there another EV design that was wider than a standard road lane or something?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Agronox posted:

My car is 19 feet long, nearly 7 feet wide, and has ~4 square inch mirrors.

It's not actually that difficult.

Leaving is even easier because people rarely choose to park next to you.

Subjunctive posted:

Wasn't there another EV design that was wider than a standard road lane or something?

The Faraday future FF 91 is 90 inches wide. a hummer h1 is 86.5

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 21, 2017

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Agronox posted:

The valet will figure that out.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm gonna cut you off right there.

Feel free to get hosed. The thread has been dead. If you want post some content you might have a leg to stand on. In the interim, refer to self-loving I referenced earlier.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wow, you are are insufferable.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Sicilian posted:

The valet will figure that out.

Feel free to get hosed. The thread has been dead. If you want post some content you might have a leg to stand on. In the interim, refer to self-loving I referenced earlier.

Protip dont loving do this idiot.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
That car looks super hot but lol it's a guarantee I'll never gonna see one in person

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Adiabatic posted:

Protip dont loving do this idiot.

Feel bad for anyone that does :smuggo:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FistEnergy posted:

That car looks super hot but lol it's a guarantee I'll never gonna see one in person

Eh, it looked ok when I saw it yesterday morning at Pebble but not sufficiently special to make me even take a photo of it. And the red coupe version that's in the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart is hideous.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Goon and Ars writer favorite, Lucid Air, was also at Monterey this past week. To remind you of this car's production schedule:

"As of late, they were still guiding a start of production in 2018 despite work stalling at their Arizona plant."

Okay, let's see some pics.

Looks like vaporware to me...

"Update: Lucid just informed us that they have actually updated their production timeline to 2019."

Well, there we have it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Any video of the car in motion at speed?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Subjunctive posted:

How cute. You think it moves.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ilkhan posted:

How cute. You think it moves.

Didn't they bring one to... congress? Not that long ago?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

eyebeem posted:

Didn't they bring one to... congress? Not that long ago?

I always confuse this one and the FF91. Is that the one they brought?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Sicilian posted:

Bah I'm dumb. Yes, it was the FF.

For actual content:

Anyone have experience with the i3 REx? Wife wants to replace her Energi, the REx is cheap as gently caress off-lease, and I want to play with one.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, here it is doing 235 mph in testing at TRC in Ohio. What makes this notable IMO (because the road cars will be limited well below that unless you live in Germany) is that it was on a much shorter straight than McLaren used to set a slightly faster time at Ehra-Leissen.

BTW, ridiculous troll man, I'm far from alone among my peers when it comes to having a lot of respect for Lucid (Alex Roy is also a big fan). They've done the exact opposite to Faraday, and the prototypes are looking better each day.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The Sicilian posted:

They're totally different companies. They just happened to both have the same Chinese investor (who isn't much involved in either now AFIAK).

And yes, the Air was in DC earlier this year: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/03/tesla-might-have-real-competition-soon-meet-the-lucid-air/

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

drgitlin posted:

They're totally different companies. They just happened to both have the same Chinese investor (who isn't much involved in either now AFIAK).

And yes, the Air was in DC earlier this year: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/03/tesla-might-have-real-competition-soon-meet-the-lucid-air/

Neat, I was right!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

Yeah, here it is doing 235 mph in testing at TRC in Ohio.

Don't see a link, but I'll take your word for it!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aRbhWk99Xk

Interior lightened a bit. Having a tall enough diff or a gearbox should be on the agenda for that 'Ring record breaker, it topped out in the final straight.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Don't see a link, but I'll take your word for it!

Oops, forgot to paste the link. Sorry, operating on 3 hours sleep.

https://youtu.be/6aRbhWk99Xk

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The Lucid was also at the NY Auto Show. No idea why since they wanted neither orders nor investors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Agronox posted:

The Lucid was also at the NY Auto Show. No idea why since they wanted neither orders nor investors.

rev up that hype train

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

Yeah, here it is doing 235 mph in testing at TRC in Ohio. What makes this notable IMO (because the road cars will be limited well below that unless you live in Germany) is that it was on a much shorter straight than McLaren used to set a slightly faster time at Ehra-Leissen.

BTW, ridiculous troll man, I'm far from alone among my peers when it comes to having a lot of respect for Lucid (Alex Roy is also a big fan). They've done the exact opposite to Faraday, and the prototypes are looking better each day.

We shall see whether either of the dubious, originally Chinese backed, EV makers ever bring a product to market.

All I see are slipping deadlines and promises broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

drgitlin posted:

The high speed model has no interior. much less that one.

I'm seriously in awe of your ability to poo poo on Tesla and its leadership when you have a crazy Chinese man as a main backer for both of these vaporware laden cars, only to walk away.

• Locked thread