Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az
Dec 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I'm not even necessarily against the idea of such a law, I just pointed out some things to consider.

But what is there to consider anymore. Do something, anything, to restrain the use of hatespeech and glorification of people and organisations that held the destruction of who they considered to be subhuman as their ultimate achievement. Debate how to, figure it out, campaign for it, stand for something.

Or do nothing because it's too hard and ???

Those are your options, do something, do nothing, pretend to think about doing something and then go home because poo poo is too complicated (this is where we are right now).

I really don't know what there could possibly be to this collective dragging of feet anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mdemone posted:

These arguments are not reversible. One is morally correct and the other is not.

Moral relativism is a thing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I'm totally convinced 90% of people who use "thought crime" have no idea what that means.

It's why you don't make eye contact with suspicious urban types, they might thought crime you

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Only if you are a gigantic idiot and/or a nazi

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Red Baron posted:

Alright then.

e. I meant literal telepathy/precognition like in the movie, sorry if that's the wrong word. As in, actually policing the thoughts of people. It's obviously impossible in the context of the movie, I guess you could just terrorize your populace to brute force it a bit.

Getting colder, hint its not in sci fi. I say this with no malice, you are spinning further away from the truth and my point.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Germany's laws about when the swastika is allowed to be displayed are an actual real life example of how it can happen without some horrible slippery slope.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

I'm totally convinced 90% of people who use "thought crime" have no idea what that means.

there's also the flawed reasoning of "if we do X to fascists, they'll do X to us so lets not do X no matter how moral it might be!"

as if fascists won't do whatever they please when they get power. as if fascists give a poo poo about the kindness or understanding people show them and will ever reciprocate

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/896773162821709824

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Koalas March posted:

Seriously. The next time you feel conflicted about Nazis google 'holocaust' images. The next time you feel conflicted about racists in america and the KKK google lynchings. If you find yourself being conflicted about hate speech and bathroom bills google crime scene photos of any number of victims of senseless violence.

omg but did you read Hillbilly Elegy?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

where will Trump get his next wife, then?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/RyanLizza/status/896710896789204993

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status/896774300992126976

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In the entire history of the earth, going back thru the age of empires, the new world conquest, the medieval period, the roman empire, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, at any time between now and 5000 BC, has any nation or empire or tribe ever allowed a defeated enemy to peacefully come in and fly their flag and advocate for their lost cause?

I mean goddamn. Next we need some Brits to come over and march for a return to the crown.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/08/13/tom-bossert-full-interview-sotu.cnn

Tapper just gave him a softball and they can't even denouce White supremacy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Condiv posted:

we can refuse to defend nazi speech because their rhetoric is clearly violent

I think we disagree a lot, but on this, we agree.

I'm going to keep donating to the ACLU because I think they do significantly more good than harm on balance, but ultimately I think they hosed up in not recognizing the violence inherent in the aims of the #unitetheright group. It was a myopic decision to support them here and I hope they'll take a closer look at who they're defending the next time a right-wing group wants to march with torches.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

In the entire history of the earth, going back thru the age of empires, the new world conquest, the medieval period, the roman empire, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, at any time between now and 5000 BC, has any nation or empire or tribe ever allowed a defeated enemy to peacefully come in and fly their flag and advocate for their lost cause?

Germany, 1920s and 30s.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

volts5000 posted:

After yesterday, me and my wife talked with our 10 and 12 year old boys about what happened yesterday, how people can start believing Nazi bullshit, and how to be smart and not fall into those traps. If you've got kids, please talk with them about this. We showed them an old post WWII public service film about being suckered into believing Nazi propaganda. It's old, but it's still on the nose and relevant to what's going on today. We told them how it's not necessarily going to be some guy on a street corner, like in the video, but it could be some Let's Player on YouTube or one of their friends. They might find themselves at a low point in their lives and want someone to blame, and somebody they trust or respect will tell them it's ok to blame black people, Mexicans, Jews, etc. Kids these days have to be aware of this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K6-cEAJZlE

Pro Click.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Next we need some Brits to come over and march for a return to the crown.

That would be fun.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Rigel posted:

That would be fun.

Sounds like a stunt for Sacha Baron Cohen.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

muon posted:

Nazis are extremely bad. They are also human, and as such, deserve 1st Amendment protection. This is not a defense of their speech or anything they endorse. It is a reminder that free speech is incredibly important to the health of any democratic endeavor and it is imperative that human rights remain inviolable.
You know at this point I'm starting to be all for free speech but you can't have freedom of speech when you are around others who do not want to hear it. If you have terrible opinions and you have a need to voice them then I don't see any reason with being kicked out of establishments, removed from City Limits, you know taken out of public spaces in general. I think that's awesome you have strong convictions but I don't care if you're an armed militiamen "who is there to 'keep the peace (whatever that means to him)", or who you are, you're just no longer welcome here, you can go play in the woods but leave your toys and bad opinions at the door like your dirty boots.

Imagine how civilized we could be!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

no easy way t osay this: if you got kids, sit em down today and have a tough talk about that frog. you know the one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No, it isn't.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

coyo7e posted:

You know at this point I'm starting to be all for free speech but you can't have freedom of speech when you are around others who do not want to hear it. If you have terrible opinions and you have a need to voice them then I don't see any reason with being kicked out of establishments, removed from City Limits, you know taken out of public spaces in general. I think that's awesome you have strong convictions but I don't care if you're an armed militiamen "who is there to 'keep the peace (whatever that means to him)", or who you are, you're just no longer welcome here, you can go play in the woods but leave your toys and bad opinions at the door like your dirty boots.

That would effectively ban protests altogether. Doesn't matter if you are a nazi, an atheist, or a boring ordinary democrat, someone doesn't want to hear you speak and will complain to the city.

The answer usually is "don't go to the protest".

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

coyo7e posted:

It doesn't matter if people dislike your free speech, what matters is the intent or result of your free speech. Words no one hears are words not spoken at all.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Germany, 1920s and 30s.

This doesnt' make sense, what defeated enemy did Germany allow to preach in the 1920s? Britian and France won WW1, Germany had no choice but to listen to them.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Rigel posted:

I just don't get what a law saying "swastikas are illegal" accomplishes other than encouraging racists to make their poo poo more reasonable and palatable.

I'm not criticizing Germany, I can understand the tremendous shame and rage that can occur from being led to utter defeat and the generations of climbing out of that hole. If we were in their shoes, we'd want a ban too out of pride and revenge if nothing else. But we're not in their shoes. I'm not scared of symbols, and I prefer my racists to proudly identify themselves in ways that ignorant voters can't ignore.

Forcing people to adhere to basic social norms, even if they end up trying to subvert them, is better than people openly and boldly parading and normalizing their hatred. In fact, having basic social norms like "swastikas are illegal" is a good start, because it sets a baseline for what should be publicly acceptable discourse.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Red Baron posted:

Look for the ((( ))) when they speak.
Or if they like to use air quotes (virtually or textually) around actual "dictionary words". I seem to only see conservatives do this for the most part.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

coyo7e posted:

Or if they like to use air quotes (virtually or textually) around actual "dictionary words". I seem to only see conservatives do this for the most part.

It's also an old person Facebook stand in for underlining or otherwise emphasizing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

This doesnt' make sense, what defeated enemy did Germany allow to preach in the 1920s? Britian and France won WW1, Germany had no choice but to listen to them.

The German military establishment that negotiated Germany's surrender, then promptly turned around and convinced much of German society that it wasn't the right-wing military establishment that had failed Germany, it was internal traitors in Germany that failed them and made them all lose - especially Jews. Called the stab in the back myth.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm all for beating Nazis with large metal wrenches

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Forcing people to adhere to basic social norms, even if they end up trying to subvert them, is better than people openly and boldly parading and normalizing their hatred. In fact, having basic social norms like "swastikas are illegal" is a good start, because it sets a baseline for what should be publicly acceptable discourse.

I know several people who otherwise would criticize and ignore protests (saying something like "more people without jobs complaining, who cares, whats on TV") who were stunned into re-evaluating the right when they saw the swastikas being paraded down the street.

They hurt the racists more than they hurt us.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think we disagree a lot, but on this, we agree.

I'm going to keep donating to the ACLU because I think they do significantly more good than harm on balance, but ultimately I think they hosed up in not recognizing the violence inherent in the aims of the #unitetheright group. It was a myopic decision to support them here and I hope they'll take a closer look at who they're defending the next time a right-wing group wants to march with torches.

The ACLU's work on behalf of immigrants being illegally detained and deported has been invaluable, bad decisions about 1stAm aside.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Germany also outlawed the communist party and its symbol the hammer & sicle, so maybe you can use that as an argument to make the German model more attractive to the US? :v:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

coyo7e posted:

That's not true. i.e. The right's idea of 'tolerance' is that it necessitates tolerating intolerance, it doesn't. That's not what actual tolerance is.

Air quotes around dictionary words are good whenever there is an individual or group misusing them, particularly if that misuse is what elevates their point from outright incorrect to merely specious. Notice how those air quotes weren't to question the idea of tolerance in general.

Quorum posted:

It's also an old person Facebook stand in for underlining or otherwise emphasizing.

Also, this.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Rigel posted:

I know several people who otherwise would criticize and ignore protests (saying something like "more people without jobs complaining, who cares, whats on TV") who were stunned into re-evaluating the right when they saw the swastikas being paraded down the street.

They hurt the racists more than they hurt us.

How does this compare to the number of people who looked at that parade, got a hate boner and signed up for the next one? Anecdotal evidence aside, we know that Nazi parades in Germany captivated the public and created a sense that the Nazi party was this indestructible machine.

e: it would be great if this parade really caused more revulsion in the general public than adulation, but the historic evidence isn't completely on that side here. I think you need to show your work here.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/896777633702268928

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

RuanGacho posted:

Getting colder, hint its not in sci fi. I say this with no malice, you are spinning further away from the truth and my point.

The first amendment's freedom of speech bits do not protect you from being charged with the crime of treason. So you're saying we just label them terrorists, because objectively that's what they are. Thus no laws need to change and problem is solved.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pembroke Fuse posted:

How does this compare to the number of people who looked at that parade, got a hate boner and signed up for the next one? Anecdotal evidence aside, we know that Nazi parades in Germany captivated the public and created a sense that the Nazi party was this indestructible machine.

If they lose their jobs every time they do it, that will end quickly.

Red Baron posted:

The first amendment's freedom of speech bits do not protect you from being charged with the crime of treason. So you're saying we just label them terrorists, because objectively that's what they are. Thus no laws need to change and problem is solved.

Correct, and what's the difference between Neo-Nazis and ISIS?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pembroke Fuse posted:

It compares extremely well. If you think the swastika will lead to millions of people flocking to their banner, you are crazy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/896572215189229568

The Iron Sheik is here to clean up this town. Now get him a fat rail of coke and some adult diapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Which he had held until yesterday?

• Locked thread