Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Shift 4: Project Cars 2: Jedi Outcast will probably be good on paper, but have a series of missteps and UX issues that will make most people stop playing after an hour, just like all of its predecessors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Don't support Project Cars

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Buy whatever you want. They're both video games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Forza 7 is the only racing sim I want to play. I think Project CARS 2 will be good but I don't have the time or money for multiple games.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

[quote="“Mokotow”" post="“475324308”"]
How does F7 look when compared to Project Cars 2? I played F6 and bit PC1, but I’m not good enough to be able to admire PC’s reported realism, aside from noticing it drives different and is probably harder. I like Forza’s large selection of cars and accessibility, and the way it handles, compared to, say, GT, but if PC2 is as realistic as it’s reported, and it comes with a great online league, as it seems it will, maybe it’s worth getting into that?
[/quote]

PC2 is improved from the first game in a lot of ways and it’s shaping up great but there’s no way it’ll even come close to Forza’s online playerbase. They are trying to do some interesting driver rating and championship stuff but it remains to be seen how that turns out.

Forza has the car collector aspect, it lets you upgrade cars in fun and silly ways, and it still plays better on a controller.

Buy both, IMO.

(If you really want serious business online racing, iRacing is where it’s at.)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Has any F7 footage on vanilla Xbox come out yet?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

cowboy elvis posted:

No, probably won't see that until people get copies.

I imagine graphically it looks like Forza 6 with lighting tweaks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

cowboy elvis posted:

It's almost guaranteed they will market this game with PC/Xbonx footage.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
tbf, Pcars 2 car list looks way more interesNissaning than the original game but lol if i expect to not just live inside Forza's first PC release with my Xbox gamepad and build a car for every class

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I'm wondering if I should upgrade my not-that-old PC before release. Have the PC specs been released for the game? I've got a GTX 970, and I know Horizon 3 required pretty good specs for the best performance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hopefully Turn10 is really working on it, but Horizon 3 suffered from a lot of performance problems out the gate.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cojawfee posted:

Hopefully Turn10 is really working on it, but Horizon 3 suffered from a lot of performance problems out the gate.

They improved those massively over time though, hopefully they've got it nailed down a lot more for forza 7.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Horizon 3 and 6 Apex both had pretty similar issues at launch, I'd be surprised if 7 didn't have the same thing going on.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Horizon 3 ran okay on my current rig, but I feel I might well need to get that GTX1080 upgrade I've been holding off on...

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Forza lets you buy a dumb car, put a NASCAR engine in it and paint dicks all over it. There's really no choice

Actually, didn't Howdy get banned for a week for his paints? I stopped using my ISIS flag after that.

Mokotow posted:

How does F7 look when compared to Project Cars 2?

I thought Project Cars looked really good. Forza though, is a bit stylized and looks like a game designed by photographers. Rich colors and having races in evening or morning makes for great photos on Mt. Panorama, Spa and Nurburgring.

TheScott2K posted:

No, probably won't see that until people get copies.

I imagine graphically it looks like Forza 6 with lighting tweaks.

I think Forza 6 looks great. Add in some of the animations and sounds that's all I care about for Xbox. I don't know when I'll get a 4K TV, but on my 65" Forza looks fantastic.

geeves fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 14, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

geeves posted:

I think Forza 6 looks great. Add in some of the animations and sounds that's all I care about for Xbox. I don't know when I'll get a 4K TV, but on my 65" Forza looks fantastic.

I agree about Forza 7.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

geeves posted:

Actually, didn't Howdy get banned for a week for his paints? I stopped using my ISIS flag after that.

If you make an offensive livery and take it into public lobbies, and get reported, you can be banned. If you're just hanging out with goons, you should be fine, unless someone holds a grudge and reports you.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If you make an offensive livery and take it into public lobbies, and get reported, you can be banned. If you're just hanging out with goons, you should be fine, unless someone holds a grudge and reports you.

Well, I hope not, but Dizzle keeps Verstappening / Rosbering me.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Horizon 3 and 6 Apex both had pretty similar issues at launch, I'd be surprised if 7 didn't have the same thing going on.
My experience with FH3 was liquid-smooth 60fps but I'd just built a brand new rig. Apex in a rainy level just made me long for what FM7 could look like and it's almost here :D

The one downside to Apex is that from what I can tell it's stretching a 16:9 image to my 16:10 monitor as circles are definitely not even.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just really want the Forza 7 demo already.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

will we be able to do v6 mustangs?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

geeves posted:

I did, and it was very soon after I uploaded it. I just reproduced the pedobear from the old GTCC spec Mustangs (which were loving awesome) so GTCC would have them if they wanted them.
I never used it or took it into a public lobby. I called it "pbear" it and shared it, and then posted about it here at SA, but I never used it myself. That's because I made a second bear that had red cat's eyes and fangs and hung upside-down for the whole "Captain Howdy" Exorcist horror-movie gimmick. My HowdyBear never hit the radar and wasn't banned but I was afraid to use it after that week. Didn't want to risk it.

I mean, I guess it's possible someone reported me but it wasn't from me using it online. I'm a lot more inclined to think the FM devs/community had already seen pedobear enough and just like they banned the "free kandy on a white van" type vinyls I figured it was detected and dealt with automatically. I have no idea if it would have fared longer with a random name.

as opposed to

I was honestly a lot more shocked by the "YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED" popup message during loading because at first I thought my whole account had been shut down. Turns out I just lost out on being able to use the design market for a week.

poo poo, while I'm here I might as well dig up and post this great, great thing again:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ugh Camino was such a great track.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Ugh Camino was such a great track.

True! I miss that track a lot as well along with Maple Valley. Thankfully we are getting Maple Valley back.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I'm wondering if I should upgrade my not-that-old PC before release. Have the PC specs been released for the game? I've got a GTX 970, and I know Horizon 3 required pretty good specs for the best performance.

FH3 ran significantly better on a GTX 1060 than a GTX 970, despite them supposedly offering similar performance in most cases. The GTX 1060 held 60 fps at medium or high easily while the 970 runs fine at ultra/30 fps, but cannot hit 60 to save its life. Hopefully F7 will be optimized a bit better for variable framerates, because FH3 was awful when frame rate wasn't capped.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The city area always Tanked my framerate. Pretty much everything else was fine.

GTX 1070

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
I always had some really really odd issues. I run a two monitor setup, and if I was watching a video in the second monitor and booted up Forza, the game wouldn't correctly interpret my monitor and refuse cap the framerate at 30 fps. FH3 also turns into a nightmareish mess when it's capped at 60 and running at 45, it appears that almost everything is synced to the framerate, so with framerate smoothing on I would get NES style slowdown, with framerate smoothing off I would get a jerky mess.

Game would occasionally run fine 1080p/ultra/60 FPS, but would quickly devolve into an unplayable mess as I played for more than about 30 minutes. My eventual solution was:

1. Close every running application that wasn't Forza. Chrome, Steam, Battle.net etc.
2. Change my monitor from 144hz to 120hz
3. Forza at 1080p with MSAA off, shadows on medium, everything else ultra, frame rate locked to 40 fps.
4. Play until an inevitable CTD occurs after modifying a car.
5a. Restart entire computer, repeat, OR
5b. Get frustrated and go do something else.

Oh and don't forget to make sure dynamic resolution is OFF on a GTX 970. The game will think that the 3.5 gb card actually has 4gb of memory (woooo false avertising) and seems to end up shunting a bunch of stuff to slower DDR3, and will fail to load in entire chunks of the world.

I had issues in the city area for the first few patches, but that seems to have mostly been fixed. Apex always seemed to run a lot better for me, I think that the smaller track environment led to less mess.

Really if they could just figure out the 60hz thing I would be wholly satisfied. Forza looks fine at 30, the motion blur is really good and the game is totally playable, but when I occasionally get it to run at 60 it's just such a better experience.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

horizon 3 in a nutshell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RH7rtrD5Ds

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Howdy makes the best race recap posts.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Dr. Faustus posted:

poo poo, while I'm here I might as well dig up and post this great, great thing again:

Makes me surprised I wasn't banned for putting a Nazi flag on Tophat's Mustang :angel:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Makes me surprised I wasn't banned for putting a Nazi flag on Tophat's Mustang :angel:

Or when I used Cubivore's (I think) Trump livery for the Lancer.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nah son, i can't paint for poo poo so that was not mine

though i'm tempted to learn for 7 so i can make a bunch of anti-trump/anti-nazi schemes

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure BCRock is the craven jerk who made the Trump livery in the early days of the LOL republican LOL primaries, and became a forza download billionaire from his 11 minutes of effort but for some reason refuses to do anything similarly mercenary that'd be useful in real life that would enable me to retire.

Boo this man, boooo

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

Howdy makes the best race recap posts.
Thanks!
I miss doing it, too. It was so much work, digging through the replays looking for good battles and interesting moments, and then trying to make the pictures special. I spent whole weekends doing it because, let's admit it, I've been a spectacular rear end in a top hat and I was never particularly skilled or fast on the track. I felt like this was my way of giving back. It was a labor of love but if FM7 doesn't bring back the actual "save the whole replay" feature I don't see Game DVR being sufficient to do that kind of work.

If I haven't said it before, please let me say I'm very sorry things got as bad with me as they did. I sunk to a really low place after I lost my job, but even before then I was already unhappy and feeling targeted unfairly anyway. I often tried to come in with a "roll with the punches" philosophy but frankly I was too drunk or angry or both to actually not be a miserable oval office. I'm in a much better place now but I'm still not interested in getting Pope'd (a phrase I coined) and probably won't race if it means getting Pope'd/Dizzled. I went to the ghost leagues just to avoid it and that was very fun, except there was only one ghost league/week and that sucked.

I'm really sorry about that poo poo, guys; I hope you can accept that.

Looking ahead, my role at work has changed considerably. I have managed to get my hours put back to 13:00-21:30 which is nice, but the old days where I could duck out of work early to make race night are not coming back. The current role I play and the management to whom I report will not allow me to skate out early any night of a work-week, no exceptions.

My only hope is I get to run with some of you guys on my days off (currently Sunday/Monday) or late on Saturday nights. I'm planning to go full Xbonx for FM7 and I'll maybe even put Ether Frenzy's Thrustmaster TX wheel to good use (finally)!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Man, you did such an amazing job on these liveries and tunes. You should really get another huge round of applause for all that work you put in. I never drove a Mustang I liked until we worked out a warm-up race and you made a stock car for it. The liveries were just a sign of how willing folks were to make things personal and special.

On that note, let's also remember Project 82!

If anyone has requests for pics or vids, I'll try to oblige. I have work tomorrow but I'm going to be up late getting ready for the work-week.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm pretty sure BCRock is the craven jerk who made the Trump livery in the early days of the LOL republican LOL primaries, and became a forza download billionaire from his 11 minutes of effort but for some reason refuses to do anything similarly mercenary that'd be useful in real life that would enable me to retire.

Boo this man, boooo

This.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Thanks Howdy, it was such a pleasure working with those cars and making liveries and race cars for the group. I miss doing GTCC I'm hoping that I'll be able to get back into it sooner than later.

Also here's some YouTube for nostalgia's sake;

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5B97A337FE586846 / https://www.youtube.com/user/ForzagoonsGTCC/videos

This. Guy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my favorite forza video will always be this one from right after forza 4 came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1SuehLc10Q

i don't remember who all was there for this, it was an all-goon room though

with forza 7 being on pc i hope we can get weekly racing rooms going again

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have an "eyes" album on Imgur:

... the last few cars were mine:

But this pic is in my top ten forever pictures, and you can see why. It's just one of the best pictures I ever captured and I love it so much:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

financially racist posted:

nah son, i can't paint for poo poo so that was not mine

though i'm tempted to learn for 7 so i can make a bunch of anti-trump/anti-nazi schemes

BlackLiveriesMatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

geeves posted:

Or when I used Cubivore's (I think) Trump livery for the Lancer.

Matts

• Locked thread