Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's where Clinton shot herself in the foot with a cannon. This is Progressive Government talk and walk; and she just left all those rust belt and coal belt blue collar idiot without a net to be scooped up by Shitstain. Goddamned poor decision.

This is the opposite of reality. Job re-training was a big part of the platform. There was even a minor scandal when she said that coal was dead and that people need re training. The news and the Sanders people just repeated the dead coal part for weeks. Nobody bothered to read the Clinton platform.

I'm from a lovely little dead town and anyone left 15 years after the plant closed is human debris. Humanity is better off snuffing them out.

There's also hella Nazis there. Kill all Nazis. Kill their parents too if you get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
7 months in and Trump is still re-defining what a president's worst day is.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Buckle up for the financial system to take an astonishingly huge poo poo soon, it turns out the LIBOR, commonly used as the base interest rate for mortgages, credit cards and other loans the world over not only was being manipulated but the thing it was supposed to measure even when working properly doesn't exist.

As many as 60% of outstanding loan contracts worldwide could be subject to renegotiation or litigation if that specified benchmark ceases to exist.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/taibbi-is-libor-crucial-financial-benchmark-a-lie-w497305

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

That's not true at all. She had a comprehensive plan for all of that poo poo. But she and her staff assumed the rust belt would be on board by default and never bothered talking about it.

She did talk about it. Very, very poorly.

shame on an IGA posted:

Buckle up for the financial system to take an astonishingly huge poo poo soon, it turns out the LIBOR, commonly used as the base interest rate for mortgages, credit cards and other loans the world over not only was being manipulated but the thing it was supposed to measure even when working properly doesn't exist.

As many as 60% of outstanding loan contracts worldwide could be subject to renegotiation or litigation if that specified benchmark ceases to exist.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/taibbi-is-libor-crucial-financial-benchmark-a-lie-w497305

Holy poo poo I'm glad I didn't buy a house this year.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cowboy elvis posted:

7 months in and Trump is still re-defining what a president's worst day is.

Remember any single day of Barack and Joe. That's my sanity clause.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thanks be to the coal company for providing this nutritious squirrel dinner in our run down hovel. This truly is the best of all worlds.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Can you link an actual post? I tried Crtl + F for "Iran" over the last 10 pages and didnt get a hit

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Mambold posted:

Remember any single day of Barack and Joe. That's my sanity clause.

actually yesterday i remembered pretty vividly Obama giving speeches after mass shootings and being on the brink of tears or losing his poo poo but managing to keep it together and actually looking like a competent leader in the face of stupidity.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Deathy McDeath posted:

Can you link an actual post? I tried Crtl + F for "Iran" over the last 10 pages and didnt get a hit

gently caress, I thought I was the only one looking. I also included searches for 'mine' and 'clear', no dice

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Joe knows what's up.
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/896496130497929220

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/896772219451396096

#NotAllNazis

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Duzzy Funlop posted:

gently caress, I thought I was the only one looking. I also included searches for 'mine' and 'clear', no dice

Did you try 'polish'?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Godholio posted:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Deathy McDeath posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167&userid=185704

I think is who he was talking about.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Whoops

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

Eh. This seems really sensational to be honest.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Time for me to clear out my index funds?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I wonder if he feels bad knowing he could have prevented this. I love Joe, but him not running has had disastrous consequences.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I wonder if he feels bad knowing he could have prevented this. I love Joe, but him not running has had disastrous consequences.

I don't fault him for not running. I really do believe he would have won, but after his son died, I don't blame him for having second thoughts and deciding not to run.

None of this poo poo is on him.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=474849104 Part 7. (page 542)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Rereading that makes me sad for the USS Stark again.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Chaos Theory man, we're in the timeline where Beau Biden got brain cancer and the world suffered. Ever hear those "what if that kid you aborted cured cancer?" type questions.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

milk milk lemonade posted:

Eh. This seems really sensational to be honest.

agreed. i am pretty sure the market is going to crash (because it does that from time to time) but i don't think this is going to be why.

will a bank that does a home loan for 3.2% suddenly have to do it for 2.3%? maybe i'm not reading it correctly though, but it seems like the "fake" rates they have been using were based on arbitrary numbers to begin with.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

the world financial markets are a giant shared hallucination

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

agreed. i am pretty sure the market is going to crash (because it does that from time to time) but i don't think this is going to be why.

will a bank that does a home loan for 3.2% suddenly have to do it for 2.3%? maybe i'm not reading it correctly though, but it seems like the "fake" rates they have been using were based on arbitrary numbers to begin with.

I think they're saying that its been kept artificially low for a long time. Since it being "low" has been a marker for high market trust and confidence in stability a lot of optimistic investment happened. That combined with the fed keeping american loan rates also low means there is a lot of capital floating around that probably shouldn't be. If you're business has a billion in loans and suddenly you owe an extra point every month on that bill you've suddenly found yourself with no cash flow.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I don't fault him for not running. I really do believe he would have won, but after his son died, I don't blame him for having second thoughts and deciding not to run.

Yeah the idea of blaming Biden for any part of this is kind of revolting. The man's been through tragedy after tragedy in his life, and worked hard as the VP. He's earned a break from the shitshow in Washington.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Smiling Jack posted:

Basically, so there's no point in worrying about it because you're dead anyways, much like nuclear warfare and aging.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

I think they're saying that its been kept artificially low for a long time. Since it being "low" has been a marker for high market trust and confidence in stability a lot of optimistic investment happened. That combined with the fed keeping american loan rates also low means there is a lot of capital floating around that probably shouldn't be. If you're business has a billion in loans and suddenly you owe an extra point every month on that bill you've suddenly found yourself with no cash flow.

Artificially low based on what though? That's what I wish the article got into a little bit more, because it said LIBOR was based on speculation to begin with. Then it got into market confidence, which is also relatively arbitrary.

Also RE: Joe Biden. This interview is pretty tough for me to watch tbh, but it gives me some insight on why he didn't run. Dude just didn't have it in him, and I don't blame him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwmMPytjrK4

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Chaos Theory man, we're in the timeline where Beau Biden got brain cancer and the world suffered. Ever hear those "what if that kid you aborted cured cancer?" type questions.
I doubt almost any son or daughter of Evangelicals ever accpmplished anything good and just as well could have been aborted. Nurture is a large part of the equation and they loving suck at it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Smiling Jack posted:

pretty much. the news isn't LIBOR is all made up because anyone with an ounce of critical thinking sees that our entire financial system is musical chairs. the news is that someone actually mentioned it publicly and the biggest fear the rich have is that everyone else figures out its all bullshit.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Every financial system imaginable is just as fake and transitory as any other piece of human culture. Okay now give me a Nobel Prize in economics

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

shame on an IGA posted:

Wasn't this already a thing? I thought they got caught rigging the LIBOR rate a few years back, and no one really cared.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Also speaking of homes, I went looking for 2017 energy efficiency tax credits. There are none this year except for solar. TRUMP

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

BigDave posted:

Wasn't this already a thing? I thought they got caught rigging the LIBOR rate a few years back, and no one really cared.

No, the story now is they were in fact rigging a number based on something someone else was pulling out of their rear end.

Which is worse.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My neighbors are buying a home. I hate to lose good neighbors since you don't really know what you're getting with renters.

Maybe I can scare them with some buzzwords like LIBOR and upside down on your mortgage and variable interest.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MRC48B posted:

No, the story now is they were in fact rigging a number based on something someone else was pulling out of their rear end.

Which is worse.

But my question is where else would they get the number? Because the number was originally based on what they *think* they will pay to borrow.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

But my question is where else would they get the number? Because the number was originally based on what they *think* they will pay to borrow.

Right, but since none of them had taken out a major interbank loan for years, they may as well have been throwing chicken bones.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I just bought a house. Welp.

And regarding Nazis and klansmen, I say kill em all and let their Norse God sorry em out.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea coffee and M_G posted the user who does the Iran-Iraq effort posts. I just went back thirty pages and couldn't find the mine discussion. Sorry guys. I swear that's where I read it; they were discussing how kids would be roped together and sent running into the minefield. If it comes up again I'll post it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, I really can't blame him. It's just that seems to be the point where things truly went off the rails... well or Brexit.

• Locked thread