Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

https://arstechnica.com/?p=1145961

Proof of concept: Encode malware into DNA. Sequence DNA. Infect computer running DNA analysis software.

Of note, they didn't go out and find vulnerable software, they made a version of some software with an exploit,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oh man I can't wait until we have implants in our brains and I get hacked by someone sneezing on me

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Oh man I can't wait until we have implants in our brains and I get hacked by someone sneezing on me

Sneezing? Now that's well wishing. It will be some russian guy 6000km away, that will ask for 500 bitcoin or he'll blow up your brain.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Volguus posted:

Sneezing? Now that's well wishing. It will be some russian guy 6000km away, that will ask for 500 bitcoin or he'll blow up your brain.

Jokes on him I already addled it with liquor and sweets

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Snow Crash 2.0

Also, Revelation Space (a fantastic scifi novel, like probably one of the best of the last 20 years) kind of touches that as well. It's scary when reality catches up with fiction.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Furism posted:

Snow Crash 2.0

Also, Revelation Space (a fantastic scifi novel, like probably one of the best of the last 20 years) kind of touches that as well. It's scary when reality catches up with fiction.

It's more than one novel. I'm reading through the 3.5k pages of the whole series right now.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Yeah but the series as a whole is not nearly as good as the first novel was

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm just getting started on the second, and was hoping it would get better :smith:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

I'm just getting started on the second, and was hoping it would get better :smith:

Try House of Suns by the same author.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Alistair Reynolds in general is pretty awesome, if a bit of a specific taste.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Back online.

https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/897180606005694464

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lol

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

government's case can't be that friggin strong if they let him back onto twitter.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

incoherent posted:

government's case can't be that friggin strong if they let him back onto twitter.

If they're competent, they'd have firewalled him and forced him to install a root certificate so they can watch everything he does.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

incoherent posted:

:tinfoil: It's not really him tweeting :tinfoil:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Double Punctuation posted:

If they're competent

lol

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Double Punctuation posted:

If they're competent, they'd have firewalled him and forced him to install a root certificate so they can watch everything he does.

You seem to read a lot of textbooks and not do much else do you? :)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

incoherent posted:

Or their case has nothing to do with twitter.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If this man gets access to twitter he will be able to launch a nuclear missile

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Conference handouts getting bizarre

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Can't decide if that's better or wrose than a fidget spinner. I guess it would depend if you have kids or not.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Can't decide if that's better or wrose than a fidget spinner. I guess it would depend if you have kids or not.

I mean really if you think about it isn't a packaged condom kind of a rudimentary fidget spinner?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going to say, I hope nobody relies on these for actual protection but then I realized I was at a security conference so none of these are getting used, guaranteed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok maybe as balloons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Lol yeah no one at that conference is going to use that, nice try marketing department

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone could stretch it over their head when they're drunk and then try and inflate it through their nose.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Someone could stretch it over their head when they're drunk and then try and inflate it through their nose.

Luckily this was the only fatality at this year's conference

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thanks Ants posted:

don't doxx me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Hello I am from InfoSec and I am Here 2 Fuk.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's loving great. Head out to a conference, forget I got a business card with a condom on it, only for my wife to find it in my jacket pocket a month later while angrily demanding to know why I have a condom in my pocket after attending a conference.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://www.upguard.com/breaches/cloud-leak-chicago-voters

This is good infosec

No need to protect the information if it's public

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nice work, @fart.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

I genuinely can't tell if that site is a big troll or not.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Moatman posted:

I genuinely can't tell if that site is a big troll or not.
Upguard is very real and unironic. Jon Hendren's blog, piss.io, is also real and unironic, but is delivered with jokes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For some reason I'm shocked that @fart does Serious Work

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Martytoof posted:

Conference handouts getting bizarre

What I really want from these conference handouts nowadays are USB condoms.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

no usable USB ports on my mbp so I'm safe

I taped the condom over the webcam though, just in case :tinfoil:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

anthonypants posted:

Upguard is very real and unironic. Jon Hendren's blog, piss.io, is also real and unironic, but is delivered with jokes.

Yeah it's just bizarre to see people like @bakkooonn or @fart talking about Serious Business online when all I know them for is the exact opposite. Didn't help that a whole lot of that site is buzzword central and it's called Upguard

In short:

Thanks Ants posted:

For some reason I'm shocked that @fart does Serious Work

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I mean, I guess if it makes you feel better, http://devopsleague.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014