Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

As much as I love my 4003s, I'd have played nothing but a short scale EB-2 in the last band I was in, if the other guitarist hadn't been a Rick freak. Faster stuff on a mellow short scale is my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrChu posted:

Are you sure Bernard Edwards used a Musicmaster for that? That's the first I've heard that, and he's usually associated with a Music Man Stingray bass, which is full scale and had adjustable mutes on it.

Oh yeah, I'm mistaken you're right.

Rifter17 posted:

Yeah, it seems like it's more likely Music Man from just checking out some YouTube videos. Those basses are kinda known for that Music Man humbucker tone. The vintage (and vintage spec) ones have adjustable mutes built in.

That said, it's a full length scale (34") like most basses and you can easily add a temporary mute. I just grabbed a sponge and cut it into a 1/2" strip and tucked it under the strings near the saddles.

If you're really looking for a new bass, then maybe check out the vintage spec Music Man basses with built-in mutes, regular Music Man basses, and (if you're more adventurous and want to deviate a little) G&L basses. There are actually a lot of basses that are pretty similar to the classic Music Man Sting Ray bass.

That's really interesting. I've been muting with my palm to try to get that sound but built in mutes would be more accurate.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Someone decided it would be a good idea to let my goony rear end sit in front of camera and play some solo bass stuff. I mostly do tapping stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wfjqurE97A

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Needs more pedals

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thorpe posted:

Someone decided it would be a good idea to let my goony rear end sit in front of camera and play some solo bass stuff. I mostly do tapping stuff

This is beautiful dude

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thorpe posted:

You could do some real damage with a Chapman Stick, you've got the chops to. That was very pretty, although my god you have pedal GAS there.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

ewe2 posted:

You could do some real damage with a Chapman Stick, you've got the chops to. That was very pretty, although my god you have pedal GAS there.

I've known about the sticks for years but they do nothing for me. I like playing bass, even though the 7 and 10 string stuff is sort of trending towards not a bass anymore. Thanks for the compliment! I do have very bad pedal gas. I went on an awful binge for awhile but everything I have on the board I like a lot now.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

One has enough pedals when their pedal board is full. The one buys a bigger and/or another pedal board.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Minto Took posted:

One has enough pedals when their pedal board is full. The one buys a bigger and/or another pedal board.

I really want a Jazz bass. I mean, I have a 5-string Jazz (MIM), and a 4-string Precision Special that's my main instrument. But Jazz has a tone I just can't quite get on my main 4-string, and I want one. MIM or, preferably, MIA. My wife said that I already had enough basses.

Heh. "Enough basses." That's so adorable.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I switched to two-in-one instrument cases to get around the wife saying I have too many toys problem.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Heh. "Enough basses." That's so adorable.

Aha but you don't have a Stingray yet!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Speaking of, anybody have any experience with Sterling, Music Man's budget brand? I've been coveting a Stingray for a while now but the real thing is out of my price range and not likely to be in it any time soon.

Awful color aside this thing seems like it would be highly my jam. Look at that twig-thin neck :kimchi:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Finally sold my Streamliner 900, so I can somewhat justify looking into amps again. There was a Mesa D800+ on craigslist, so I went to my local big music store to see if I could try one. Sure enough, there was one there, and I loved it! Sadly though, the craigslist posting was gone by the time I got home, so now I have to figure out if I should sell one of my other Genz amps to finance the new D800+.

I still really want to try the new Oranges too, especially the 4 Stroke. Then there's that new Bergantino head...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Juaguocio posted:

Finally sold my Streamliner 900, so I can somewhat justify looking into amps again. There was a Mesa D800+ on craigslist, so I went to my local big music store to see if I could try one. Sure enough, there was one there, and I loved it! Sadly though, the craigslist posting was gone by the time I got home, so now I have to figure out if I should sell one of my other Genz amps to finance the new D800+.

I still really want to try the new Oranges too, especially the 4 Stroke. Then there's that new Bergantino head...

Along those same lines I'm glad to see Genzler is making amps again and I've been looking at one of his Magellan amps.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Scarf posted:

Along those same lines I'm glad to see Genzler is making amps again and I've been looking at one of his Magellan amps.

Oh yeah, gotta try that one too. I'm also intrigued by their Bass Array cabs.

I would have kept the Streamliner, but it had a few issues that made me wonder about its long-term reliability.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If, in a nightmare scenario, I lost the Baer and was forced to get a new main head, I'd probably be choosing between the Darkglass MT900, Mesa D800+ and the Aguilar AG700.

I'd want try the Genzler too but I've always felt weird about how the older Genz-Benz heads voiced the HPF. I love the concept of the Bass Array cabs, though.

edit: I will say, I'm using a Carvin B1000 as my lightweight / backup head, and it's a killer value for $400.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 17, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thorpe posted:

I've known about the sticks for years but they do nothing for me. I like playing bass, even though the 7 and 10 string stuff is sort of trending towards not a bass anymore. Thanks for the compliment! I do have very bad pedal gas. I went on an awful binge for awhile but everything I have on the board I like a lot now.

What pedal are you using to get that sort of echo-y effort that due to my relative lack of experience have to compare to the Edge's guitar sound? Reminds me a lot of the Explosion in the Sky, which is also a terrible way to describe it.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Shageletic posted:

What pedal are you using to get that sort of echo-y effort that due to my relative lack of experience have to compare to the Edge's guitar sound? Reminds me a lot of the Explosion in the Sky, which is also a terrible way to describe it.

It's a dotted 8th delay, just a simple digital sound. If you hit the right timing that's how you get that U2 bouncing sort of sound (I am also terrible at describing things)

Also, ampchat:
I ended up grabbing a used Quilter Bass block for when I need to get loud and I love this thing. Super light, and a simple enough EQ system.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Paul Gilbert has a good explanation about this effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7t_FmfWnxs

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

Anime Reference posted:

They have some at the shop I go to but I'd feel like kind of a jerk asking to play an instrument I have no intention of buying (I'm poor and they're way out of my price range.)
Check out any gear you want!

I work for a music gear retailer now (office side and used/vintage gear stuff, minimal customer interaction thank god) and did a short time at guitar center. I and no other co-worker that I knew of ever cared if someone plugged in something they weren't planning on buying. I never expected to buy my Rick, my wife surprised me with it, but I most definitely went down to the showroom to plug it into the most expensive amp we had a couple times to check it out. Same with Fodera, Music Man, every pedal I can get my hands on, etc.
Checking out expensive gear is awesome!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

A month or two back I posted in the new instrument thread about the Warwick Streamer Standard I had just picked up. I finally got a chance to make some progress on it.

Pros:
Dirt cheap
German-made (I think this was their cheap model before they started Rockbass)

Cons:
Dirty
Beat up body
Sounded muddy in all settings

There was sticker residiue and black marker randomly all over the body. I got most of that off, however I think the previous owner played it with a hammer because there are little dents all over. Can't do anything about that now, though I may try to refinish in the future and steam those out while doing so.

Second thing that needed attention was the neck. The truss rod was pretty loose so it had a bit of a bow. I had to crank it down pretty hard but its about where it should be now. The fretboard was gross and the frets tarnished so that was next.

Used Brasso on the brass frets, some Dunlop cleaner on the fretboard

End result

Now it was playing ok, however the sound was still muddy. It had a series/parallel switch that made some difference, and a tone control that did almost nothing. I did some digging and apparently Warwick used 25K pots on these, which explains why it always sounds like the tone control is rolled off, and turning down the tone does almost nothing.

I pulled the push-pull volume control and its definitely 25K

I had a couple 250K Warwick pots laying around, however I wanted to keep the series parallel switch so I needed to order a new one in the right size, and the only place I found selling one with a 6mm shaft diameter was some parts store from China (aside from hilariously priced ones from Warwick - https://reverb.com/item/3598358-new-warwick-push-pull-volume-pot-mec-m84500-bass-part-corvette-streamer-thumb-bo), which took a couple weeks to arrive. I also found out the stock tone put was undersized, so I had to take care of that

Using the reamer was actually pretty easy and only took about 15 seconds.

Currently I have the new pots in and wired up, but there's a couple issues. Switch down (series) works fine, the muddy tone is gone and it now sounds like a Stingray/Sterling in series mode, but without the high end presence of active electronics. Switch up (parallel) is where the trouble is, when I pull the switch up, at first I only get the sound of one of the coils and a lot of buzz. If I just tap on the knob, it gets into parallel mode and the noise goes away. From what I can tell it may be a bad switch that isn't stopping in the right place, and when you pull it goes too far and misses the middle sets of pins in the switch, until you tap it and it settles down. I was thinking about getting another switch anyway to add a coil split , but now I worry if I order from the same place the quality will be consistently bad. I'm also getting some noise if I move the cable around, but I haven't isolated that to the cable or the bass yet.

Future plans will be to finish sorting out the electronics, and refinish the body if I can get my painting skills up to it before the winter.

TLDR Can anyone recommend a place to get 250K or 500K DPDP pots with 6mm shafts for a reasonably (:tenbux: each or less)? Or can I use a dual gang pot like this and just not use the second row of pins on the pot? http://www.wdmusic.com/bourns_push_pull_pot_dpdt_a_taper_6mm_solid_shaft_250k_bourns_250pp_ss.html

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm having an existential crisis after I realized that, were my house to be robbed / burned down / otherwise destroyed and I lost all of my Stambaughs I have no idea what I would do with the insurance money to replace them.

I guess if there was stuff that fit what I wanted off the shelf I wouldn't have gone custom in the first place, but if I were in a pinch and needed something I'd be kind of up poo poo's creek. Maybe Ibanez, I guess?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Hey guys, I've been wanting to get a distortion lately but with a billion boxes to chose from, I'm totally lost. I'd like something that could add some grit, a little more attack and gruffness without going too far into fuzz territory. Any suggestions? My main setup right now is a Fender delux jazz - Sansamp - B2-Re Ampeg.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If you've got the coin, Darkglass Vintage Microtubes

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Sockington posted:

If you've got the coin, Darkglass Vintage Microtubes

Seconding, I love my VMT Deluxe.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Sockington posted:

Darkglass Vintage Microtubes

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy
Agree with all Darkglass recommendations!
But if you want something significantly cheaper the ProCo Rat is pretty good. But always go Darkglass if you can afford it.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Thanks guys :) I have another question.. I found this old cable under a bunch of cluttler, and was wondering what I could use to clean off the corrosion. You think this would be an incredibly easy problem to google, but I've tried wording it a dozen different ways and can't find anything! Kind of in a rush today so I thought I'd drop a picture off here and see what you fellas think.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Constipated posted:

Thanks guys :) I have another question.. I found this old cable under a bunch of cluttler, and was wondering what I could use to clean off the corrosion. You think this would be an incredibly easy problem to google, but I've tried wording it a dozen different ways and can't find anything! Kind of in a rush today so I thought I'd drop a picture off here and see what you fellas think.

It's not just corrosion. Those jacks are plated with a metal that fights corrosion and encourages clean transmission of signal. Once they start looking like that, they're on the way out. Cleaning the corrosion is more likely to remove the plating.

Buy new cables. It is false economy to simply clean this kind of metal damage. Or, if you're handy with a soldering iron, buy some 1/4" plugs and shrink tubing, cut those ends off, and repair the cable. (Even then, though, it seems like false economy to me, because cables just go out after a while.)

And don't spend a lot of money. Don't buy the cheapest cables, obviously, but oxygen-free and other crazy-sounding things don't make your gear sound better. Except for the very cheapest, lightest-gauge cables, cables are cables. They'll sell you a $90 cable or a $13 cable; both sound the same and both are 20 feet long. Your choice.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 26, 2017

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Well drat. That was the second cable I had ever bought probably about ten years ago, but luckily I have the day off and money in the account.. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the store :)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Don't Monster cables have a lifetime warranty?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Got a bonus at work, had been thinking about getting one of these for a long time, and then GAS took control...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang that's slick as hell

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

tarlibone posted:

Got a bonus at work, had been thinking about getting one of these for a long time, and then GAS took control...

Unnff that's a sexy color

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DrChu posted:

Don't Monster cables have a lifetime warranty?

Only if you still have the receipt: http://www.monsterproducts.com/support/warranty

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I had a gig tonight (last night?), and brought my new Lake Placid Blue beauty with me for the 4-string songs. Nothing like a baptism by fire, eh?

Man... usually, my 4-string gigging bass is a Precision Special. Even with the J pickup at the bridge, that bass has about 4.2 asstonnes of midrange stank that cuts through any mix. And that's great. But it lacks super-clean highs; it's a classic P-bass tone that's loud, growling, and wonderful. This thing, though, made me remember what super-clean sounds like. My Jazz 5-string has a rosewood fretboard which changes the sound to something smoother and less treble-y, but this maple fretboard just delivers gallons of clean, clear highs (and lows). As per usual for Jazz basses, it is light on the mids. But I didn't realize how much I was missing the clickitty-clack-clak of the strings being thumped off of the fretboard.

(I play with my fingers, but on some songs where the bass is solo and being played with a pick, like the bridge of Seven Mary Three's Cumbersome, I play the strings off the frets. With this bass, it comes through amazingly clear.)

Hooray, bass!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

At guitar center you can get a full replacement without the receipt. I've only ever had to do it once and they didn't ask questions, just took the cable and gave me a new one.

Call them and ask about monster cable's replacement policy.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That was the only thing I had the effort to find in writing. I said the same thing what GC says about Monster's warranty when I worked at Best Buy, though my store did their best to turn down any sort of warranty claim.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Monster are good for the warranty, but that's about it. Monoprice are the way to go.

https://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150901

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So looks like rosewood on MIM Fenders is a thing of the past? I don't think the fingerboard material makes a meaningful tone difference, but rosewood is just so much better looking. I don't want the stuff to go extinct, but I'm glad I got my cheap rosewood while the getting was good.