Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Judgement posted:

Where killing multiple minions in one round has gotten a bit weird in my experience is when dealing with melee or brawl checks on a pack that's all spread out. Uh, you hit that greedo so hard that his buddy on the other side of the cantina shits himself into unconsciousness from sheer terror? Usually when it comes up for my droid I'll just say that he moved really fast just pingponging from one guy to the next then back again, or that he finished the first minion and chucked him across the room at the other.

Edge of the Empire pg 198

quote:

Rounds can last for roughly a minute or so in time, although the elapsed time is deliberately not specified. Players should keep in mind that a round lasts long enough for their character to move to a new location and perform an important action. They should also remember that although each round is broken up into turns that happen sequentially in gameplay, narratively the turns are occurring at roughly the same time.

So over the course of the minute you could be trading blows back and forth with a single opponent, or just doing a quick slice through a ton of enemies as you run past them to your real targets. Or whatever else makes sense for your story. You don't need to adhere to the 6 second D&D style round. It could take 6 seconds, could take a couple minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Judgement posted:

Yeah, activating a weapon's critical multiple times in one attack just increases the severity of the injury roll, it doesn't actually give you multiple crits, so you'll still need to be dealing a crazy amount of damage in one round to wipe the whole group (still pretty easy with the right setup).

Where killing multiple minions in one round has gotten a bit weird in my experience is when dealing with melee or brawl checks on a pack that's all spread out. Uh, you hit that greedo so hard that his buddy on the other side of the cantina shits himself into unconsciousness from sheer terror? Usually when it comes up for my droid I'll just say that he moved really fast just pingponging from one guy to the next then back again, or that he finished the first minion and chucked him across the room at the other.

You seen Rogue One? Donnie Yen taking down that pack of stormtroopers is a melee/brawl character attacking a minion group.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So I ran the Edge of Empire beginner game yesterday and it was Cool and Good and we'll be doing the Long Arm of the Hutt followup adventure next but I have a bit of a question about the distance bands and movement.

I understand there's 5 ranges: engaged, close, medium, long and extreme. I understand it costs 1 maneuver to move from a range to another range, except for going to and from extreme, which costs 2 maneuvers.

So let's say we get the following situation: the PCs are all engaged with each other and busy with something, say they're working on installing ohh I don't know, a Hypermatter Reactor Igniter. And say a certain Trandoshan Nemesis, we'll call him Trex, shows up and has grown rather suspicious. He's at close range from the lot of them and a fight ensues. Initiative is rolled, and the PCs get 1 slot before Trex, the rest after. Lowwhrick takes that first slot, uses his maneuver to move to become engaged with Trex, a second maneuver to grab his vibroaxe and his action to plant that axe into Trex.

So far, so good. Trex is up next, and after clawing Lowwhrick something fierce, he uses 2 maneuvers to run the hell away from the PCs and towards the offramp to get the help of the security droids. So clearly he's gone from engaged to close, to medium range compared to Lowwhrick. But for the rest of the group, he's only at medium range and halfway to long range. Is it correct however, that the rest of the PCs can still close into melee range with Trex using just 2 maneuvers? Even though he just used 2 maneuvers to run away from them and started at close range?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Quick question about half body armor; if I'm wearing two pieces of half body armor do I get the soak from both of them; do they stack?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

You get the highest soak, they don't stack.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Orange Devil posted:

Is it correct however, that the rest of the PCs can still close into melee range with Trex using just 2 maneuvers? Even though he just used 2 maneuvers to run away from them and started at close range?

Yes. He spent one maneuver to get out of engagement with a PC, then another to move from short to medium range, so it makes sense that two maneuvers will bring that PC back into engagement.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

You get the highest soak, they don't stack.

So what I'm seeing than from an optimization standpoint the endgame armor everyone should want is mando armor

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Doggir posted:

So what I'm seeing than from an optimization standpoint the endgame armor everyone should want is mando armor

Or take the armor that gives them a good base bonus and then modify the armor with attachments and such

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

FuriousAngle posted:

Or take the armor that gives them a good base bonus and then modify the armor with attachments and such

Right which mando armor has 5 hard points letting you customize it quite a bit

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

hmm except for maybe tanks the PX-11 gives you 1 more soak

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doggir posted:

Right which mando armor has 5 hard points letting you customize it quite a bit

Mando armor is also restricted, which makes it a little less ideal when you're trying to be unobtrusive

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doggir posted:

if you have a good mechanics monkey in the party, they ought to eventually be able to craft something with better base stats than Mando armor, and just as many or more customization hardpoints.

It might take a few tries and some smaller crafting rolls to build up modifiers, but it's definitely possible to get 3 soak, 3 defense, 6 HP armor through crafting.
Or 3 soak, 2 defense on a more modestly-good roll.

You probably don't want to buy Keeping the Peace (a book primarily for jedi pals) just for the couple pages of armor crafting rules, but maybe you can ~borrow the book from somebody once you've outgrown stock armor options, or something.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 8, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Doggir posted:

I mean, this isn't necessarily true, but who doesn't want Manadalorian armor?

It's also worth remembering that it's restricted. I know it sounds silly to say that anything can be mechanically balanced by narrative constraints because that never works, but every time I've played a Knight-Level Force and Destiny game the response on all our faces right before we leave the ship of "oh poo poo, right, we got to hide our lightsabers, gently caress" is always pretty funny and, to avoid a GM bringing down the hammer, we also resort to using something like a blaster or electrostaff until it's absolutely necessary.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

oggdudes has the rules baked into it 😝 no mechanic in the group but I was thinking of re rolling cyber tech maybe I'll force my gms hand to kill me haha

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Ok yeah loving around with some rolls at xp 150 (knight level) cyber tech can craft 7 hard points 3 soak 2 defense armor reliably

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I heard the crafting rules are pretty broken, yeah. They're going to do ship crafting soon too.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

hmm as soon as I get my lightsaber I might just have to go hard until inquisitors come so I can re roll haha; maybe I'll have my character succumb to the darkside to explain me going mad

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Doggir posted:

Ok yeah loving around with some rolls at xp 150 (knight level) cyber tech can craft 7 hard points 3 soak 2 defense armor reliably

remember the key to gaming this crafting system is to craft something real easy immediately beforehand, so you can stack up some ranks in Lessons Learned or Practice Makes Perfect.

so build like a toaster or something first

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 8, 2017

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

remember the key to gaming this crafting system is to craft something real easy immediately beforehand, so you can stack up some ranks in Lessons Learned or Practice Makes Perfect.

so build like a toaster or something first

I noticed that it starts adding up fairly quickly and you are rolling 20 boosts lol

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Ghosts of Dathomir is still 'on the boat' 5+ months after it was meant to be out.

The dawn of rebellion and cyphers books have had their product pages removed (they were there and now go to a 404 page)

What is going on with ffg and star wars releases?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PST posted:

Ghosts of Dathomir is still 'on the boat' 5+ months after it was meant to be out.

The dawn of rebellion and cyphers books have had their product pages removed (they were there and now go to a 404 page)

What is going on with ffg and star wars releases?

GoD had some kind of major issue; FFG is being vague but it was either a printing error, or the container with those books got lost at sea. They did finally admit on their forums that something had happened with them. I dunno why they didn't update the status info on them...but for whatever reason they had to print a new batch.

As for the other books, I'm wondering if they're planning one of them as a surprise GenCon release?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

jivjov posted:

GoD had some kind of major issue; FFG is being vague but it was either a printing error, or the container with those books got lost at sea. They did finally admit on their forums that something had happened with them. I dunno why they didn't update the status info on them...but for whatever reason they had to print a new batch.

As for the other books, I'm wondering if they're planning one of them as a surprise GenCon release?

A surprise Gen Con release would involve air shipping the books which is hella' expensive in any real volume.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What if they lost the license and are slowly shutting down operations?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
That seems unlikely, it's probably the late-lifecycle malaise that afflicts all RPGs. Sales drop, corporate attention drops, sales drop, repeat. The RPG team have probably moved focus to their generic, since it's too early for a 2nd Edition.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Covok posted:

What if they lost the license and are slowly shutting down operations?

I dunno, when they lost the Warhammer 40k license, they just said "Hey, lost the license, we're not making anything new and can't sell you anything else past the start of the year. Get what we've got while you can."

I don't see why they'd do it differently for Star Wars. :shrug:

Covok
May 27, 2013

I hope you guys are right. I want them to finish the career books before they lose the license. The game would just feel incomplete otherwise.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
All the jokes about the boat carrying x-wing waves from China sinking came true. Wow.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

X wing is their livelihood. They won't be losing the license any time soon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/16/dont-underestimate-the-force/

Covok
May 27, 2013

What?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
It's the NES Classic of Star Wars RPGs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I need it. I need it in my life and in my veins.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If it's for sale at GenCon I'll own it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think i'll ever use it but I kind of want it anyway?

probably won't buy it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/17/star-wars-roleplaying-gamemat/

New RPG accessory; playmat dice pool information and an initiative tracker printed on it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They're talking about the RPG now at GenCon. Maybe some new announcements?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So what is the single most broken build?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

5 brawn with vibroaxe? That's what breaks my game. Stacked soak has led to an insane arms race.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

So what is the single most broken build?

Gadgeteer w/ heavy blaster rifle

- Jury-rig heavy blaster rifle's autofire quality so that it only takes 1 advantage to activate.
- Install the Bantha's Eye laser sight, a cheap mod which generates 1 free advantage.
- As soon as enough credits are saved up, buy Superior Customization for the rifle, which increases base damage from 10 to 11 and also generates 1 free advantage.
- At this point, you're doing a minimum of 33 damage per successful attack, and can easily be averaging in the 50s or 60s while spiking into the 70s or 80s
- On top of crazy damage output, you're very survivable (with gadgeteer armor talents) and are a decent utility mechanic for your group.
- You could also do this with larger autofire weapons, like the various heavy repeating blasters, but at least those are always unwieldy or otherwise unreliable in some way. The heavy blaster rifle is a perfect storm: autofire, high damage output, plenty of hard points, not too expensive, and only 3 cumbersome.
- Even scarier if you later spec into Heavy, which boosts your base damage and lets you ignore the difficulty penalty on autofire attacks.

I also spend a lot of time scheming around my team's wookiee, an Armorer/Marauder.

Wound Threshold: 14 (wookiee base) + 5 (brawn) + 1 (extra brawn from Enhance) + 10 (5 ranks in Toughened) = 30
Soak: 5 (brawn) + 1 (extra brawn from Enhance) + 4 (crafted armor with Superior Customization) + 1 (Armor Master) + 2 (2 ranks in Enduring) = 13
Defense: 1 (armor) + 1 (Improved Armor Master) = 2

So he's got 30 WT, 13 soak, 2 defense, can completely nullify one crit per round using Supreme Armor Master, and can use Sense to upgrade the difficulty of attacks against him. Against dark jedi or inquisitors, he can drop Sense and Enhance (reducing him to a measley 29 WT and 12 soak) and use Reinforce Item on his armor to nullify the Breach quality of their lightsabers. This is also useful against flechette cannons, AP grenades, rocket launchers and the like.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PupsOfWar posted:

I also spend a lot of time scheming around my team's wookiee, an Armorer/Marauder.

There's really only one thing to do with people that minmax that hard

Alternately do nothing but social encounters from now on