Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A gem can't just become a star, stars are massive balls of flaming gas millions of kilometres away #urukscience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

sassassin posted:

A gem can't just become a star, stars are massive balls of flaming gas millions of kilometres away #urukscience

:wrong:

the bright stars are telperion syrup

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

It's somewhere in the early books of History of Middle Earth, Lays of Beleriand maybe?

Rateliff covers it in The History of The Hobbit too, IIRC

Voltraine
Feb 8, 2017

by Smythe
I was reading that Sauron blog linked earlier in the thread and there was mention that some elf dudes who had been to Valinor and back had brought wine with them in addition to tales of magic trees and etc. Is this a canon detail, and if so is it meant to connect with the whole idea of pipe-weed being a synedoche for the Istari's corruption by the earthly delights of Middle-Earth?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pipe weed was a Numenorean crop, although the people of Middle Earth were the first to smoke it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why was it a "crop" then?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It was fragrant wild herb. It isn't clear that the Numenoreans cultivated it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

Why was it a "crop" then?

Chewing tobacco/dip.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah, right.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Edibles.

I mean unless we actually believe it's tobacco

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Pipe weed is very clearly tobacco in the books and marihuana in the Jackson films

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
haha weed lol

Wouldn't it be funny if they were high XD

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

What if it's hemp and the numenoreans grew it for rope

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You know they'd have wanted it, if they hadn't had it.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Well, I mean, you pick: either Gandalf was fond of the occasional toke, or Numenor was teeming with semi-immortal hicks and their gross dip cups. I can see a couple of hobbits kicking up their heels with a pipe of cannabis and Saruman's best snacks in the watery ruins of Isengard, but it is really hard to imagine Tar-Palantir, elf-friend and follower of the old ways, spitting a brown missile of chaw runoff into the bushes as he tended the White Tree with his doomed daughter tucking a lipful at his side.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Why not both? Tobacco and weed are both two totally different farmables y'all

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Numenoreans clearly vaped

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

elise the great posted:

Well, I mean, you pick: either Gandalf was fond of the occasional toke, or Numenor was teeming with semi-immortal hicks and their gross dip cups. I can see a couple of hobbits kicking up their heels with a pipe of cannabis and Saruman's best snacks in the watery ruins of Isengard, but it is really hard to imagine Tar-Palantir, elf-friend and follower of the old ways, spitting a brown missile of chaw runoff into the bushes as he tended the White Tree with his doomed daughter tucking a lipful at his side.

Why do you think Elrond didn't want Aragorn around his daughter?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

skasion posted:

This, I feel, is the answer.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think it's interesting to consider the real world history of tobacco in Europe. Like consider that native Americans had been smoking tobacco and using it in the culture for at least like 3,000 years prior to European discovery of the plant.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skasion posted:

And in the topmost of the dome there was a louver, whence there issued a great smoke, smelling of Concord Grape and Key Lime Pie

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

skasion posted:

New post sub-title please.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Actual legit question: What kind of livestock do hobbits keep? They must have access to some kind of dairy animal. Goats? Sheep? Can you milk sheep?

Ynglaur posted:

New post sub-title please.
:yeah:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Actual legit question: What kind of livestock do hobbits keep? They must have access to some kind of dairy animal. Goats? Sheep? Can you milk sheep?

Of course you can, have you never had like manchego or anything?

We know hobbits keep ponies for pack-animals and occasionally riding. Given that they have a nonsense-rhyme about the cow jumping over the moon, I presume they keep cattle, and if cattle then why not any other sort of livestock?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

skasion posted:

Of course you can, have you never had like manchego or anything?

We know hobbits keep ponies for pack-animals and occasionally riding. Given that they have a nonsense-rhyme about the cow jumping over the moon, I presume they keep cattle, and if cattle then why not any other sort of livestock?

I can't recall the exact quote but part of the Shirrifs' duties were wrangling and returning strayed farm animals. So they did keep some livestock, but I don't think the species is ever noted.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Remember that historic animal breeds were overall smaller than modern ones, too. And hobbits.might have bred dwarf versions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I can't recall the exact quote but part of the Shirrifs' duties were wrangling and returning strayed farm animals. So they did keep some livestock, but I don't think the species is ever noted.

quote:

The Shirriffs was the name that the Hobbits gave to their police, or the nearest equivalent that they possessed. They had, of course, no uniforms (such things being quite unknown), only a feather in their caps; and they were in practice rather haywards than policemen, more concerned with the strayings of beasts than of people.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Based on Bilbo's pantry they have all the traditional English farmyard animals.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

PMush Perfect posted:

:yeah:

They live in England dude. Have you been to Britain? The answer is sheep.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thank you!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
thread title is the best. thank you mods

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why Shelob is a sexy lady in Shadow of War

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i want to gently caress the spider

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

not going to click that link but im gonna guess it's because spiders don't have breasts

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

skasion posted:

not going to click that link but im gonna guess it's because spiders don't have breasts

The guy said it's because Shelob can take any form that she wants because she's a spirit, and that she's basically the mirror image to Galadriel (she's a darkness sexy lady instead of a light sexy lady). Also, she and Gollum plotted to take down Sauron which is why Frodo and Sam passed Shelob's Lair

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i will gently caress the spider

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ungoliant and Shelob were not spiders but I guess that was a decent justification.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

The guy said it's because Shelob can take any form that she wants because she's a spirit, and that she's basically the mirror image to Galadriel (she's a darkness sexy lady instead of a light sexy lady). Also, she and Gollum plotted to take down Sauron which is why Frodo and Sam passed Shelob's Lair

lol

quote:

Little she knew of or cared for towers, or rings, or anything devised by mind or hand, who only desired death for all others, mind and body, and for herself a glut of life, alone, swollen till the mountains could no longer hold her up and the darkness could not contain her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Look it's hard enough getting women into lord of the rings .