Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What organization should I donate to now that I know the ACLU is bad. NAACP?

Edit: I patreoned that yes you're racist dude but that only goes so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

This practice of chanting "shame" feels so impotent. The chanters feel smug, the target ignores, and nothing changes.

That was the face of a man feeling real fear for his personal safety for the first time in his life. That crowd was absolutely livid and chanting "shame" is the only way they had of channeling it in that moment. I 100% believe that if you had removed all the cameras and the modern police force that crowd would have very literally lynched that man. That kind of an angry crowd is really only restrained by modern technology, in ages past that situation would have ended with the crowd strait up murdering that man. Much better then I think that they simply chanted "shame" and forcefully chased him out of town.

That man has no future anymore, he is effectively unemployable after this. (The stench of failure is so bad here that even other neo-Nazi's want nothing to do with him, let alone literally everyone else) Shitloads of people are going to stalk his every move and find every way they can to use his participation in this to harm him that their collective rage-fueled-creativity can generate. I would not trade places with this man right now for 100million dollars. The rest of his existence is going to one of misery and constant, well-justified paranoia of every stranger he passes.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Southern Poverty Law Center?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, you sure showed that generally left individual why he was wrong.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 13, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arglebargle III posted:

Nice this is a good talking point.

I'm not really defending white supremacy, I just don't want everyone to slip into a mindset of "violence doesn't count when someone on the left does it." It's important to be able to understand how people with little investment in politics see these issues. You can't push the boundaries if you don't know where they are etc.

Wait those numbers are wrong, Omar Mateen and Farook & Malik killed 63 just between the three of them.

This is in fact a poo poo talking point and you'd be immediately called out by anyone with half a brain who read the report this guy linked. This is what I'm talking about guys, partisan loyalty is not a substitute for knowing what the gently caress you are talking about and you a poor advocate for the cause if you look dumb as hell quoting obviously wrong numbers.

I think you need to read this again. These are deadly incidents, i.e., incidents in which at least one person was killed. San Bernardino and Pulse are listed in a separate table from the one Daniel Dale took a screenshot of.

The 23 Islamic extremist incidents have a slightly higher death count than the 62 white supremacist incidents, and that's mostly attributable to the aforementioned attacks. It should also be noted that 16 of the 23 Islamist attacks were all separate incidents attributed to the D.C. beltway sniper.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

ACLU helps undocumented immigrants immensely and is suing the Trump gov't for a ton of violations. They still deserve cash despite their questionable choices in VA. However, other good orgs are NAACP, Planned Parenthood, SPLC and NARAL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm trying to find ways to donate to Antifa peoples' legal defense.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

I would not trade places with this man right now for 100million dollars.

Nah dude. Publicly "see the light" give 25m to antifa groups, get a bunch of plastic surgery, you're good.

But yeah dude probably doesn't have 100m so he's turbofucked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

That man has no future anymore, he is effectively unemployable after this. (The stench of failure is so bad here that even other neo-Nazi's want nothing to do with him, let alone literally everyone else) Shitloads of people are going to stalk his every move and find every way they can to use his participation in this to harm him that their collective rage-fueled-creativity can generate. I would not trade places with this man right now for 100million dollars. The rest of his existence is going to one of misery and constant, well-justified paranoia of every stranger he passes.
Richard Spencer and Steve Bannon seem to be doing well.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
The National Lawyers Guild is also an invaluable organization that deserves your donation dollars.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pembroke Fuse posted:

ACLU helps undocumented immigrants immensely and is suing the Trump gov't for a ton of violations. They still deserve cash despite their questionable choices in VA.

I don't deny they do some good in other places but they'll never see a dime from me as long as I live.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Prester Jane posted:

in ages past that situation would have ended with the crowd strait up murdering that man. Much better then I think that they simply chanted "shame" and forcefully chased him out of town.

Not just in ages past. There are videos of traffic accidents in India/Pakistan where a mob ends up killing one of the drivers. Mob mentality is no joke, as Terry Pratchett once said "The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hellblazer187 posted:

There will never be an organization pure and good enough for your perfect dollars.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ol Standard Retard posted:

The National Lawyers Guild is also an invaluable organization that deserves your donation dollars.

I'd never heard of this but I will check it out. I'm nominally a lawyer myself although I've done absolutely zero with my license. If I ever get back to the states I need to do some pro-bono for groups like this.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Covok posted:

My adviceis simple: protest, support leftist organizations, vote, speak-out. We need to stay brave and keep fighting evil!

Most people aren't brave though. Most people are just... trying to get through their short little lives best they can.

I just can't see cowardice as a sin.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

BarbarianElephant posted:

There will never be an organization pure and good enough for your perfect dollars.

Sure - any that doesn't defend Nazis. It's a very low bar to pass bro. I'm a Clinton primary voter - I'm extremely comfortable with compromise.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

There's a big crowd outside Spencer's apartment right now. Normally a small crowd chants every other Saturday. poo poo might get real for him pretty soon.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Nah, dude will be employable in some noname company and won't be any more miserable or filled with constant paranoia than today. At most he'll just be armed more frequently.

How many people will remember his name if he just stays out of hiding? These white faces all blend together anyway.

It is a fantasy that he'll be stalked and cowering in a corner like someone who worked at a Nazi death camp.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

business hammocks posted:

There's a big crowd outside Spencer's apartment right now. Normally a small crowd chants every other Saturday. poo poo might get real for him pretty soon.

Is he there tho? Wasn't he arrested yesterday?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Most people aren't brave though. Most people are just... trying to get through their short little lives best they can.

Then, you're okay with me and people like me potentially dying if they ever obtain enough power to reinstart the attempt to exterminate all non-whitea, non-het, non-CIS, non christian individuals. Some of us protest because we know we don't have a choice: we either die fightning now or get exterminated later.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

At this point "cowardice" for most of these people is a mix of willful ignorance and self-aggrandizement, people who contort themselves into believing whatever they have to so they can go on not caring about anything other than themselves.

I have very little remaining patience for people who want the world to stop at their lovely little house and the lovely little number at the bottom of their lovely little paychecks.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I donate to Transgender Law Center & Trans Center for Equality since both have been awesome for gathering info on legal stuff (employment laws especially) and providing accessible trans 101 info to cis people since I started transitioning.

RAINN is another good one.

I may add Williams Institute to my regular donations, since they do good research into LGBT issues.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Sure - any that doesn't defend Nazis. It's a very low bar to pass bro. I'm a Clinton primary voter - I'm extremely comfortable with compromise.

The ACLU defends anyone that needs it. The good work they do vastly outnumbers the few fuckups. The ACLU defends people's first amendment right to assemble, Nazi or otherwise, and it isn't their fault this poo poo went bananas.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Can Spencer's landlord have a rider in the lease that if he is arrested and convicted he can be evicted? I live nearby and that he can be allowed to spew his BS here makes me quite angry.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Josh Lyman posted:

Both of whom have rich sugar daddies bankrolling their ambitions. Also, I'm not entirely certain by what metric you are defining "doing well" but Spencer is not doing well at all and Bannon is facing the business end of a looming Compaction cycle. Give it about six months and check in on where all three of these individuals are and I expect you will be pretty solidly satisfied with the results.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/13/us/white-nationalism-explainer-trnd/index.html

Jesus loving Christ CNN, really? "Who are white nationalist and what do they want"?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Oh for gently caress's sake.

The question "What will we be?" is an existential question.

Additionally, the groups that lose tend to get hosed hard in the continuing to exist sense.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
More footage of kessler's retreat.

https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/896818319503839232

https://twitter.com/JDeanSeal/status/896791783199428608

Pictured: police on the roof who unaccountably failed to shoot wildly into the crowd chasing Kessler out of town.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Prester Jane posted:

Both of whom have rich sugar daddies bankrolling their ambitions. Also, I'm not entirely certain by what metric you are defining "doing well" but Spencer is not doing well at all and Bannon is facing the business end of a looming Compaction cycle. Give it about six months and check in on where all three of these individuals are and I expect you will be pretty solidly satisfied with the results.

I hope you're right: would be nice to see them suffer.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Can somebody point to a story about the helicopter I keep hearing about?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Then, you're okay with me and people like me potentially dying if they ever obtain enough power to reinstart the attempt to exterminate all non-whitea, non-het, non-CIS, non christian individuals. Some of us protest because we know we don't have a choice: we either die fightning now or get exterminated later.

I sometimes grapple with this.

It's most glaringly evident to me when talking about matters of race. I have no frame of reference for knowing just what that type of oppression even looks like day-to-day. When I was younger, I used to be that white guy who knows what's wrong in society and the oppression of minorities, but now I try to avoid putting my thoughts out there in race-related conversations because they're by my very nature and circumstance lacking in a fundamental aspect of understanding. So I vote and sometimes donate, listen to my friends who are knowledgeable and ask them questions, sometimes challenge, but generally trust that they know what they're talking about when they give advice or ask for something like attending an event.

I don't tolerate white people dog whistling or outright espousing racist ideas though and it nearly came to a physical fight with a cousin's now husband.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 13, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Giggy posted:

The ACLU defends anyone that needs it. The good work they do vastly outnumbers the few fuckups. The ACLU defends people's first amendment right to assemble, Nazi or otherwise, and it isn't their fault this poo poo went bananas.

By allowing a nazi to congregate they allow them to incite anger and hostility by literally coming a loving college with torches they bought from Wal-Mart to intimidate kids that never did them no harm. If the ACLU and the State shithead that gave them the permit to hold this farce is too stupid to realize that protecting nazi speech literally denies and harms the speech of others then they didn't just gently caress up, Heather Hayer is dead because of them. They gave that troglodyte driver a reason to be on Virginia. They aided the goddamn enemy,.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 13, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Trabisnikof posted:

Nah, dude will be employable in some noname company and won't be any more miserable or filled with constant paranoia than today. At most he'll just be armed more frequently.

How many people will remember his name if he just stays out of hiding? These white faces all blend together anyway.

It is a fantasy that he'll be stalked and cowering in a corner like someone who worked at a Nazi death camp.

I hate to put it in these terms but he is responsible for the brutal public murder of a very pretty white girl. Setting aside the inherent cultural commentary about such an observation I feel it is fair to assert that he happens to have done one of the few things that the American public has a long memory for.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gyges posted:

Did Boston suddenly become non-racist as gently caress, or are you counting on Bostonian's hatred of non-Bostonians to be greater?

The second thing. Boston has a major issue with identifying its long-standing issues with racism, like just an embarrassing lack of awareness about it, but the city teems with rage every time a white supremacist group mentions they're thinking of coming here. Our own brand of provincial racism is quietly defended by a lot of the wrong people, but none of that "white power" stuff sits well. Even that guy nicknamed Sully who can't stop talking about how busing ruined the schools would happily chuck a PBR at someone like Richard Spenser, probably while yelling "Yankees suck!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Can somebody point to a story about the helicopter I keep hearing about?

it crashed, two state cops died, nobody knows why it crashed yet

that's about all there is so far

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crabtree posted:

By allowing a nazi to congregate they allow them to incite anger and hostility by literally coming a loving college with torches they bought from Wal-Mart to intimidate kids that never did them no harm. If the ACLU is too stupid to realize that protecting nazi speech literally denies and harms the speech of others then they didn't just gently caress up, Heather Hayer is dead because of them. They gave that troglodyte driver a reason to be on Virginia. They aided the goddamn enemy,.

heather hayer is dead because of nazis, not because of the aclu

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

boner confessor posted:

it crashed, two state cops died, nobody knows why it crashed yet

that's about all there is so far

And there are wackadoodles on both sides claiming it was shot down by protestors or counter-protestors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sin or not, that defense wouldn't have worked at Nuremberg.

quote:

Principle VII
"Complicity in the commission of a crime against peace, a war crime, or a crime against humanity as set forth in Principle VI is a crime under international law."

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Crabtree posted:

By allowing a nazi to congregate they allow them to incite anger and hostility by literally coming a loving college with torches they bought from Wal-Mart to intimidate kids that never did them no harm. If the ACLU is too stupid to realize that protecting nazi speech literally denies and harms the speech of others then they didn't just gently caress up, Heather Hayer is dead because of them. They gave that troglodyte driver a reason to be on Virginia. They aided the goddamn enemy,.

Heather Hayer is not dead because of the ACLU. She's dead because of fascist extremists and decades of right-wing normalization. The Nazis did spark anger and hostility -- against themselves. When these fuckers go out and say their poo poo they always lose. No one watched the rally and said "Hey maybe these Nazis are right" because those people already believe that due to years of brainwashing and ignorance.

Whether these people congregate or not, right-wing extremism has been a cancer in this country since the 90s and this protest didn't impact that in any way.

edit and correction - actually it did impact right-wing extremism because Republicans who only a few years ago attacked the DHS for pointing out the problem are now acknowledging it even if it's in bad faith. I cannot emphasize enough how normalized this rhetoric has been. You can't shame and confront these people if you can't see them.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

heather hayer is dead because of nazis, not because of the aclu

"Never compromise [your beliefs], even in the face of annihilation" sums up the ACLU pretty well, I feel.

• Locked thread