Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It feels like they purposely obscured how long Strange trains for, because in the beginning before his crash all the dates are current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guardians 2 is pretty much the only movie with an actual set date seeing as they give a year and then say how many years have passed since then.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Aphrodite posted:

It feels like they purposely obscured how long Strange trains for, because in the beginning before his crash all the dates are current.

That's what makes the reference in Winter Soldier a problem. Strange's story wedges in nicely if he crashes in 2011 or 2012 and he spends a few years training. Wrecking his car in 2016 just flat out doesn't work unless there's another reason for SHIELD to be watching him or time in Kamar-Taj flows like Narnian time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or he's on the list for being a good surgeon I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Ancient One says she always knew that Strange was going to be important, so it isn't too far out of the realm of possibility that he would show up on the radar in some way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
What dates are we given that place the beginning of Doctor Strange in the present? They talk about the Air Force guy getting injured in a mech suit, but I thought it had been established as that one dude from Iron Man 2.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Inkspot posted:

That's what makes the reference in Winter Soldier a problem. Strange's story wedges in nicely if he crashes in 2011 or 2012 and he spends a few years training. Wrecking his car in 2016 just flat out doesn't work unless there's another reason for SHIELD to be watching him or time in Kamar-Taj flows like Narnian time.

There were millions of people on the list. They do not all have superpowers or magical training. It was a list of names using Zola's formula which deduced that they were people who would be resistant to Hydra, so they were going to be eliminated.

So you can say that Jasper just said his name because he was a famous surgeon and someone who he saw on the list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

What dates are we given that place the beginning of Doctor Strange in the present? They talk about the Air Force guy getting injured in a mech suit, but I thought it had been established as that one dude from Iron Man 2.

His trophy cabinet has some items with dates on them.

The Air Force thing is never confirmed as anything specific. All they've said is it's not Rhodes.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I kind of love the the MCU continuity doesn't actually make any sense, it makes it feel more authentically Marvel. The timelines don't add up well, character motivations are off depending on the film, that's part of the fun of the comics to me.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Codependent Poster posted:

There were millions of people on the list. They do not all have superpowers or magical training. It was a list of names using Zola's formula which deduced that they were people who would be resistant to Hydra, so they were going to be eliminated.

So you can say that Jasper just said his name because he was a famous surgeon and someone who he saw on the list.

In a Universe where Marvel characters exist, I have no problem believing that the formula Hydra uses to pick targets just scans for people with alliterative names. Particularly ones at the top of their scientific / medical profession. Because if I lived in that universe and I saw a guy called Doctor Stephen Strange, I'd put my mortgage on him getting superpowers at some point.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 13, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think it's as simple as "This Doctor Strange guy is a really good surgeon who's not going to be on board with the full Nazi. Kill him before he saves the life of someone we don't want saved."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah I think it's a little bit more than that for the Hydra guy to be calling or Stephen strange's name as if anyone in the conversation would know who that is. Shield just have had a file on him at that point and probably not because he's a good surgeon

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I'd buy SHIELD running him through an alliteration database. But it means he really does go from rejecting magic's existence to full blown Sorcerer Supreme (not that there were many options) in maybe a year, which you reconcile with...

rantmo posted:

I kind of love the the MCU continuity doesn't actually make any sense, it makes it feel more authentically Marvel. The timelines don't add up well, character motivations are off depending on the film, that's part of the fun of the comics to me.

Age MCU Time is just a (series of ever-changing and mostly arbitrary) number(s), man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you go by the first Avengers movie release date and then the time skip in Spider-Man Homecoming it means that Civil War and Homecoming take place in like 2020.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Aphrodite posted:

His trophy cabinet has some items with dates on them.

This is the type of poo poo that doesn't matter at all. Some art department PA was told to get trophies so they went and got trophies. There's no way the PD or Set Decorator or whoever was like, "yo make sure all the trophies match this year" or whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it's just an accident when the cameras stops on them.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it's just an accident when the cameras stops on them.

And a total coincidence that shot made it into the final film.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How ginormous and overhyped is the bluray boxset of the MCU going to be
I mean I assume they'll just do a collection up until Infinity War 2 and just start over with something else past then

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finally got to see Spider-Man and thought it was really good. It is my favourite Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phylodox posted:

They do say that Strange has a natural aptitude towards sorcery, but he isn't touted as any kind of Chosen One or anything. He only becomes the Sorceror Supreme because basically everyone else is either killed, fled, or Wong.
He didn't even become the Sorcerer Supreme at the end of the film, Wong explicitly says that Earth doesn't have one and is in danger because of it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Strange explicitly says he has photographic memory which is how he knows all the hocus pocus movements and it's his entire thing throughout the movie he is super brilliant at everything he sets his mind to from neurosurgery to manipulating the very fabrics of reality and time

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
It is explicitly shown kaecillus steals the book before Strange starts training. Therefore, how long did kaecillus wait to do his big evil plot?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I saw The Room a few weeks ago and now understand the title thread's reference. Thanks BSS.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

notthegoatseguy posted:

I saw The Room a few weeks ago and now understand the title thread's reference. Thanks BSS.

Haha, what a story, notthegoatseguy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Tommy Wiseau as Doctor Doom.

Think about it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jamesman posted:

Tommy Wiseau as Doctor Doom.

Think about it.

It'd explain a lot about his life, sure.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You're tearing me apaaaaaaaart, Richaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaards!!! :doom:

Hello Mr Grimm!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mulva posted:

It'd explain a lot about his life, sure.

It would at least explain the mask. Eesh.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm tired, I'm wasted... I LOVE you, notthegoatseguy!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
CineFix put up a What's the Difference between Logan and Old Man Logan and they offhandedly mentioned that Logan's healing factor being reduced because of the same reason all the mutants have died out and none are being born. I never thought the GMO food that was preventing mutant births and I assume killing others is why Logan's healing factor is no longer as strong as it once was, I just figured it was because he was like a million years ago by then, which basically what the movie implies, even though theirs a clearly stated reason late in the film.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The movie implies, if not outright states, it's adamantium that's killing him. I know for sure it's stated in the making-of on the bluray.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was fairly sure it's supposed to be the adamantium poisoning.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
But wasn't his healing factor the reason he didn't have that problem before? I should probably rewatch it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

I did not hit her! I did naht. Oh hai notthegoatseguy

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

twistedmentat posted:

But wasn't his healing factor the reason he didn't have that problem before? I should probably rewatch it.

Yes, but it caught up to him. He could handle the adamantium transplant because of his healing factor but he's still mortal and it grinded him down. Logan was basically just saying "he got old".

ufarn
May 30, 2009

X-O posted:

The movie implies, if not outright states, it's ...
98% sure they say as much in the BTS material. That's how I knew for sure after watching IIRC.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure they come out and say it in all but saying the words "the adamantium is killing him/me." He's getting up there in age and now his healing factor can't keep up with constantly healing the adamantium poisoning and everything else.

I equate it to someone with terminal cancer, like stage 4 colon cancer. There's medicine that will fight it, but eventually that medicine stops working and you eventually die.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
On the subject, everyone should watch the black and white noir version of Logan. It's really gorgeous.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I rewatched it and yea, they clearly state that Logans loss of healing factor and slow death by adamantium poisoning is separate from GMO food stopping mutant births.

My biggest worry about the movie is Laura will be left to languish out of the mainstream X-men movie universe because they still seem like they're blocked in with Claremont era. While I love it, i'd really like to see outside of the team that we saw in Giant Sized X-men. Hopefully New Mutants will be decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude, they're introducing a TIME TRAVELER in the next X flick. She'll find a way to "now."

• Locked thread