Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe I should give freedom Planet a 2nd chance with the story turned off, but the story and characters were so bad that it made me want to drink bleach so I quit playing it

If you go into it expecting a megadrive platformer, I think you'll like it once you find a character you gel with. The rabbit-girl-thing I found annoying, and disliked how not-girl-sonic couldn't hurt people with her regular jump. So go with Chun-Li-Dragon-Girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

g0lbez posted:

Oh holy gently caress I just saw a spoiler for the final boss on YouTube jfc it is eggman

buhhh? durrr? people Care about a thing unlike me??? the cool guy?????

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe I should give freedom Planet a 2nd chance with the story turned off, but the story and characters were so bad that it made me want to drink bleach so I quit playing it

The cool part about FP is that you can play Classic mode which removes all the story cutscenes. Seriously, why don't more people use this?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

buhhh? durrr? people Care about a thing unlike me??? the cool guy?????

teh cool goon

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
People do have a bad habit of overreacting to spoilers

Like they do suck but it's not like someone shot your hedgehog

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

CowboyAndy posted:

If you go into it expecting a megadrive platformer, I think you'll like it once you find a character you gel with. The rabbit-girl-thing I found annoying, and disliked how not-girl-sonic couldn't hurt people with her regular jump. So go with Chun-Li-Dragon-Girl?

I mean, no character can hurt things by jumping on them but also no enemy can hurt you by running into you unless they're of the spiky variety. Game has a dedicated attack button for that!

i also think you're mixing character species up but I don't want to come across as uncool by caring too much. :cool:

oh gently caress it whatever, the rabbit girl is a dog, the chun-li girl is a cat and you've mixed her with not-girl Sonic who is a dragon. A half-dragon, actually. This detail isn't especially important but if I'm gonna be a fail nerd I'm going big.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

why you gotta play me like this amazon :negative:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

g0lbez posted:

Why is everyone freaking out over spoilers? How the gently caress could a final boss in a Sonic game be surprising or shocking in any way

I wanna be able to see the new design and gimmick and go 'oh cooooooooooool'

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

g0lbez posted:

Why is everyone freaking out over spoilers? How the gently caress could a final boss in a Sonic game be surprising or shocking in any way

Look man, it's not hard to understand. We don't want to have all of the little surprises in this game spoiled for no reason. That's it

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's annoying because it's before the game is even out

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spoilers don't have to be plot. Sometimes they can be settings or art or design or just neat poo poo.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I mean, no character can hurt things by jumping on them but also no enemy can hurt you by running into you unless they're of the spiky variety. Game has a dedicated attack button for that!

i also think you're mixing character species up but I don't want to come across as uncool by caring too much. :cool:

oh gently caress it whatever, the rabbit girl is a dog, the chun-li girl is a cat and you've mixed her with not-girl Sonic who is a dragon. A half-dragon, actually. This detail isn't especially important but if I'm gonna be a fail nerd I'm going big.
Wait, okay, by "chun-li girl" are we talking about Carol or Neera? Because I would've sworn on my life Neera was a panda.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Evil Eagle posted:

Look man, it's not hard to understand. We don't want to have all of the little surprises in this game spoiled for no reason. That's it

I was more just genuinely confused and thought people were upset because somehow the boss was a shocking revelation or something and then I looked it up and oh ok

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ventana posted:

The cool part about FP is that you can play Classic mode which removes all the story cutscenes. Seriously, why don't more people use this?

I mean realistically it's because player psychology. You're not gonna look at the options being "game" and "the game but minus some stuff" and pick the latter nine times out of ten. The guy who made the game places the ratio at about 1 in every 15-20 who picked Classic and ignored the cutscenes entirely. And then because most people have now picked the game mode with the cutscenes, they will now feel obligated to watch them regardless of how much doing so will poo poo on the pacing and if they're not enjoying it, despite the fact the game still allows you to just pause the game and skip straight to next level even in Adventure mode, you don't even need to pick Classic. But because players are weird, they will do something they don't like and then burn out because of it.

It's a weird chestnut.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Wait, okay, by "chun-li girl" are we talking about Carol or Neera? Because I would've sworn on my life Neera was a panda.

Neera is a panda, but she is not playable in the first game. She's only playable in the second game and the second game isn't out yet. I assume "Chun-Li girl" is Carol because of her rapid-kicking special being kinda reminiscent, Neera fights by stabbing poo poo with pointy sticks, there ain't no kicking with her.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Really it's just more fun to see things for yourself instead of watching the one guy who got the game early play through it terribly.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
As a treat, the guy that plays it horribly also talks over everything and says poo poo like "falcon punch!" Come on guys, it's either that, or you actually play the game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I want what levels are in the game to be a surprise, as well as any cool easter eggs. I'd like to experience it for myself. You only get to do that once.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I avoid watching play throughs for that reason as well which is why I was confused since people were freaking out over thumbnails and text posts

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Neera is a panda, but she is not playable in the first game. She's only playable in the second game and the second game isn't out yet. I assume "Chun-Li girl" is Carol because of her rapid-kicking special being kinda reminiscent, Neera fights by stabbing poo poo with pointy sticks, there ain't no kicking with her.

Yup! When I thought of Carol, I immediately thought about her spinning bird kick attack.

Sorry for mixing up the characters. I've got Mania on the mind. But Freedom Planet is a good and fun game, with an Anime as gently caress storyline.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Yup! When I thought of Carol, I immediately thought about her spinning bird kick attack.

And now you're mixing up Chun-li's attacks.

...You'd be great in a tournament. :downsgun:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

you can't do stuff this cool in sonic games therefore all of you should play Freedom Planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg7VEOabskI&t=221s

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I mean, poo poo, you got a health bar, you can just kick enemies, dive kick into them, sure she says "CYCLONE" too much, but whatever, she goes fast. Take all that into account AND I have a rough idea of where the gently caress i am going? I consider Freedom Planet arcade to top a good sonic game.

On the other hand, my first foray into sonic was Sonic 2 on game gear, where I cannot do any of the above things plus the smallest screen ever. Had a good soundtrack though. Scrambled Egg zone is the number one song in all of sonic.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

And now you're mixing up Chun-li's attacks.

...You'd be great in a tournament. :downsgun:

Bah, I'm too old and black for this poo poo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

opened up sonic 4 episode 2 today for some EPISODE METAL

https://gfycat.com/PleasantDistantArgali

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if you could get Tyson Hesse designs working in a Rayman Origins/Ubiart style graphics engine and look.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

g0lbez posted:

I just want a sense of surprise, no matter how small it is. Of course the final boss is going to be Eggman and if I get all the emeralds I'll probably fight him in space. But there's a lot of love and crazy fanservice pulls in this game, I got spoiled on the Zone 6 boss by a thumbnail and there's something about it that's a big enough surprise to me as a Sonic fan that I would've liked to have experienced that myself in the moment of playing it, you know? :shobon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Evil Eagle posted:

opened up sonic 4 episode 2 today for some EPISODE METAL

https://gfycat.com/PleasantDistantArgali

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe Nack's in it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you can't do stuff this cool in sonic games therefore all of you should play Freedom Planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg7VEOabskI&t=221s

i mean momentum canceling kinda runs counter to the design of sonic games and you can do different but equally cool things

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just watched the OVA. now I'm ready for the eve of the big day

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

One more day, fellow sonic maniacs

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm doing a tails all good futures run of Sonic CD to celebrate

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

jeez i haven't played a sonic game since the dark knight

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Spinning Robo posted:

why you gotta play me like this amazon :negative:

Says the same for me, but I'm hoping it's just a temp date before updating people's statuses to release day delivery. Glad I didn't already take Tuesday off though in case it really does come on Thursday.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sonic 3 Complete is so loving good. I forgot how rad Hyper Sonic is and I hope that returns in Mania.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ventana posted:

Because I still want some of that dumb story to give context to what I'm playing. My choices shouldn't be between too much story and none at all, or watching half a cutscene then skipping the rest.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Because I still want some of that dumb story to give context to what I'm playing. My choices shouldn't be between too much story and none at all, or watching half a cutscene then skipping the rest.

I'll be frank, the context isn't that important due to the fact the story got massively cut down and re-arranged from the original draft and a lot of it was done last minute so some of it flat out contradicts.

Ultimately it's about some dickhead trying to destroy the planet so you go and stop him, the means by which this is accomplished aren't hugely important.

i do understand feeling compelled to try and watch the plot though, it's just how people are. You really aren't missing much.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

I'll have to wait until the 29th to play Sonic Mania since it's delayed on PC, but I'm going to be impatiently tapping my foot and checking my watch for the entire two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I forgot that Sonic 3's competition mode stages can be played alone in a Time Attack mode and I have encountered these incredibly hosed up Real Elephants for the first time in years