Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I would be 100% down with Cathay/Nippon/Ind, and I'm not going to doubt it anymore.

CA seems to be doing 4 races, plus 4 DLC races per game. With 1 preorder bonus per game. For a total of 8-9 races per game.

With 1 we got Empire, Dwarf, Greenskin, VC and Chaos. Then Brett, Beastmen, Wood Elves. Lastly Norsca for 9 as part of WH2 technically. It's WH2's Chaos Warriors.

2 is High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven and Norsca. So we have 3 additional races. Assume Tomb Kings, Tilea/Dogs, and Araby or Estalia. I wouldn't doubt the other becomes the preorder race for WH3,

WH3 will be Chaos, Chaos, Chaos and Kislev. DLC will be Ogre Kingdoms, Chaos Dwarfs, and......????????

Kurgan maybe? They're the nomadic horsemen who together with the Norscans make up the bulk of the armies of Chaos and populate the Chaos Wastes and the Eastern Steppes and raid all over the world from the Empire to Cathay. There's not that much specifically on them in the army books I think, beyond being mentioned as the backbone of Chaos's human forces and several characters like Vardek Crom, Surtha Lenk and Tamurkhan (I think this dude is from a Forgeworld supplement) being Kurgan chieftains (called Zars) and important lieutenants of Archaon's army during the End Times.

Other fluff and literature, such as novels and the WFRP books elaborate somewhat further and essentially make them out to be fantasy Turks/Scythians, which makes sense given the name. In contrast to the Norscans who are vikings and fight mostly on foot with axe and shield, the Kurgan are all horsemen and use large swords and bows from horseback. They also seem to have a special veneration for Tzeentch (Tchar), as change is a constant given their nomadic lifestyle, Tzeentch seems to be viewed as a kind of sky god by the Kurgan and becomes somewhat of an evil fantasy-version of the primary Turkic god Tengri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

Why does the TW launcher unselect all of my mods every time I start up? This is really annoying.

Go to the mod section of the launcher. There is a checkbox to enable all mods so you don't have to do it individually.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I'm about 70 turns into a Wintertooth campaign, this is peak TW for me. Throgg and his new MONSTER HORDE have just re-taken Erengrad (again) and are heading north to hunt a frost wyrm. Kraka Drak have finally come out on top against the eastern Norse and need to be finished off once and for all. Fully half of Norsca is smouldering ruins.

Wulfrik is pillaging his way through the Wasteland and Marienburg with a stack of wolves and berserkers. The Empire still stands however Karak Norn is laying siege to Altdorf (they are truly the angriest/most insane AI faction since Med2 Milan).

Surtha Ek, devotee of the Serpent spends his time endlessly pillaging what's left of Nordland and Middenland and doing sick wheelies on his chariot.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I really like the god aspect customisation on the generic Norscan Warrior Lords. So much that I wouldn't even mind being able to start as Beef Hardcheese the random Norscan Chieftain and bring him to glory rather than Wulfric.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

If they plan on wh3 without having to massively reshape the old world map they could do the east, with chaos, chaos demons, ogres and chaos dwarves. I'd prefer ditching non demon chaos and including Cathay

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

If they plan on wh3 without having to massively reshape the old world map they could do the east, with chaos, chaos demons, ogres and chaos dwarves. I'd prefer ditching non demon chaos and including Cathay

Kislev will be a faction for game 3, mark my words. I am sure of it

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tardcore posted:

Same, but I also want to start to believe in Cathay. I am not quite ready to yet, but I want to believe.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If anyone was waiting for the update, the tier 4 minors mod supports Norsca in full now.

Also I found out that using DirectX 12 BETA mode in the launcher was causing my game to crash really late in the loading cycle about 50% of the time. Turning it back to Dx11 stopped all of the CTDs. Running a GTX 970, so if you have similar problems I suggest trying that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Tardcore posted:

i think theyre a good bet, but it also seems like they're going for a big snap-together map, so the logical part for the third to take up would be the lands to the east:

if you look on this big map, on the left side in the bottom 1/3 there's the silver road, which is the starting province of the dwarves in warhammer 1. Basically the other side of the eastern mountains in warhammer 1 is the wastes on the west in this map. the silver road goes all the way through the ogre kingdom mountains to Cathay.

the chaos dwarfs live beneath the ogre mountain area, and then there's the big open chaos wastes to the north, then cathay to the east.

to make kislev part of 3 they'd have to remake a bunch of the work they'd already done, rather than spending that effort on new stuff. i think a kislev dlc would be a good idea to have for 3, for the big combined map, but i'd think it would be weird to be a launch race for 3.

i could be totally wrong though.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

i think theyre a good bet, but it also seems like they're going for a big snap-together map, so the logical part for the third to take up would be the lands to the east:

if you look on this big map, on the left side in the bottom 1/3 there's the silver road, which is the starting province of the dwarves in warhammer 1. Basically the other side of the eastern mountains in warhammer 1 is the wastes on the west in this map. the silver road goes all the way through the ogre kingdom mountains to Cathay.

the chaos dwarfs live beneath the ogre mountain area, and then there's the big open chaos wastes to the north, then cathay to the east.

to make kislev part of 3 they'd have to remake a bunch of the work they'd already done, rather than spending that effort on new stuff. i think a kislev dlc would be a good idea to have for 3, for the big combined map, but i'd think it would be weird to be a launch race for 3.

i could be totally wrong though.

This map is actually further to the east than you'd think, There an arrow pointing to the west there towards Zharr Naggrund, the chaos dwarfs capital, most of the dark lands aren't on it

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

If CA have free reign to add their own stuff then I think there could be some cool things

There is supposed to be a Dwarf Pirate faction with airships out there somewhere isn't there?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
ANCIENT GIANT LANDS is something i'd expect to see in one of those gonzo post apocalyptic Earth maps that some comics would have way back when.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Phrosphor posted:

If CA have free reign to add their own stuff then I think there could be some cool things

There is supposed to be a Dwarf Pirate faction with airships out there somewhere isn't there?

That's in Age of Sigmar unfortunately. There is a giant Dwarven battle zeppelin in WFB though.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

I'm fairly certain you're thinking of the Dwarfs in Age of Sigmar, who are newly released and have some sick models.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Archonex posted:

ANCIENT GIANT LANDS is something i'd expect to see in one of those gonzo post apocalyptic Earth maps that some comics would have way back when.

I think that's where the Giants used to live when they had a fabulous magical kingdom before the ogres hosed it up for shiney poo poo and delicious beefs.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I do wonder if the success of Total Warhams might convince GW to hand CA the Sigmar licence, that's be interesting to see at the very least.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

SteelMentor posted:

I do wonder if the success of Total Warhams might convince GW to hand CA the Sigmar licence, that's be interesting to see at the very least.

Oh god please, no. I would rather play as loving Pontus.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Aren't AoS battles done on a much smaller scale? CA is a one-trick pony in terms of the style of game they make.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

I actually feel like an AOS Total War game could do a ton to solidify their setting. As it stands, it all feels sort of amorphous despite their best attempts. Developing things to the point where you can actually play a campaign on that map could help a ton

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Tardcore posted:

This map is actually further to the east than you'd think, There an arrow pointing to the west there towards Zharr Naggrund, the chaos dwarfs capital, most of the dark lands aren't on it

yeah its a lovely map, i just couldnt find one of that region that was labelled well and showed the chaos wastes

i found this big one too:

so for everyone else, the mountain range down the middle is the far east of the map we already have (we also don't have araby or the stuff to the south of the badlands like tomb kings). to the east there's the big wastes the chaos dwarves live under (the little inset bit to the northeast along the mountain range), then the ogre mountains, then to the north the chaos wastes. then further east, off this map, is cathay and the great maw. the great maw kind of divides the ogre lands from the cathay lands because the cathay god-king called down the great maw as a giant meteor to punish the ogres for eating his citizens

edit: as for age of sigmar, i have no idea what the gently caress that map look like at all, as far as i can tell its all swirling chaosy poo poo? i dunno. i don't really know anything about it except for everything got blown up and remade and a bunch of gods had a falling out.

i'd rather see CA get the 40k license cause relic are really loving up with the dawn of war games now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pendent posted:

I actually feel like an AOS Total War game could do a ton to solidify their setting. As it stands, it all feels sort of amorphous despite their best attempts. Developing things to the point where you can actually play a campaign on that map could help a ton

There's an AoS RPG on the way that could lay the groundwork for something like that. It would be nice, and the weirdness of the various factions would force CA to really flex their new skills.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

If ca does do the ogre kingdoms they should make a war in the sky campaign.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pendent posted:

I'm fairly certain you're thinking of the Dwarfs in Age of Sigmar, who are newly released and have some sick models.

That's...not exactly how I'd describe those models.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

SteelMentor posted:

That's in Age of Sigmar unfortunately. There is a giant Dwarven battle zeppelin in WFB though.

I was referring to where these guys come from:

Edit: I just looked into their history and they are from Barak Var. They used to deliver the finest Dwarven ale all over the Old World. Then they got shipwrecked on Sargosa, the pirate isle, and lost their cargo of beer. Unable to handle the shame of losing such fine ale they all took slayer oaths and took to piracy.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 14, 2017

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I expect Kislev to be something like pre-order DLC for the 3rd game.

I don't think Cathay is impossible for the 3rd game, but it's geographically tricky, what with it being a huge stretch of basically unmapped land past the natural border of the Darklands and bordering a bunch of even less fleshed out Fantasy Asian nations.

I suppose they could do like a Cathay expeditionary army or something I dunno. Either way the 3rd game is a mystery, CA is down to just three of the least popular TT factions (And I say that as someone who loves Ogres) set in a part of the world that just isn't super dynamic and interesting compared to the Old World or New World. It's a tough sell for the final part of the trilogy and I have no idea how CA plans to pull it off.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

That's...not exactly how I'd describe those models.

Tophat guy is probably a bit much but the airships are rad as hell

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Oh god please, no. I would rather play as loving Pontus.
:same:

The less said about Age of Sigmar, the better. It is a garbage setting and they killed Warhammer to make it and I am still mad about that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my wishlist for total wars future:

1) SLAMBOOOO legendary lord (very unlikely to happen)

2) Chaos Dwarves

3) Tomb Kings (only lower cause I think it is likely to happen already)

4) Chaos Demons faction with SKULLTAKER legendary lord (with his cape of skulls)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SteelMentor posted:

There's an AoS RPG on the way that could lay the groundwork for something like that. It would be nice, and the weirdness of the various factions would force CA to really flex their new skills.

The way I see the Age of Sigmar setting. It's set up a lot like Norse Mythology and would probably work best as a outer planes situation for the Warhammer Fantasy world. Which could serve as the Midgard to Age of Sigmar's realms of everything else.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I just want to see a third Norsca legendary lord in Valkia the Bloody. She can give a boost to all of the human units as they vie for her blessing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

People keep saying Valkia for Norsca, but doesn't she make more sense as a Chaos duder, demon or otherwise? I guess you could go with the pre-demon form

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kokoro Wish posted:

I just want to see a third Norsca legendary lord in Valkia the Bloody. She can give a boost to all of the human units as they vie for her blessing.

Valkia would have been a great choice and there's no Khorne lord in the game yet. I hope they include her eventually, it's hard to hate a heavy metal Khorne valkyrie. :black101:

my wishlist for total wars future:

1) SLAMBOOOO legendary lord (very unlikely to happen)
SLAMBO is my actual first choice though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

New Butt Order posted:

Aren't AoS battles done on a much smaller scale? CA is a one-trick pony in terms of the style of game they make.

Alien: Isolation is the finest example of a game company going outside their niche and killing it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

RentACop posted:

People keep saying Valkia for Norsca, but doesn't she make more sense as a Chaos duder, demon or otherwise? I guess you could go with the pre-demon form

She's a Khornate Valkyrie judging the worth of mortal warriors for the blood god. How does that not make sense for the totally-not-vikings faction?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Safety Factor posted:

Valkia would have been a great choice and there's no Khorne lord in the game yet. I hope they include her eventually, it's hard to hate a heavy metal Khorne valkyrie. :black101:

SLAMBO is my actual first choice though.

If someone makes a SLAMBO mod they better get a really good Randy Savage impersonator to do the voice.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

She's a Khornate Valkyrie judging the worth of mortal warriors for the blood god. How does that not make sense for the totally-not-vikings faction?

Could make a good head for the Khorne-only one if they're going to split chaos up into four for game 3.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

idk how there isn't already a mod to replace boring archaon with SLAMBOOOOO

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Big Slambo fan, here.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

NewMars posted:

Could make a good head for the Khorne-only one if they're going to split chaos up into four for game 3.

Again, she's all about the mortal warriors. The aforementioned Skulltaker would be a better fit for a daemonhost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I too just checked to see if there was a SLAMBO mod available in the workshop.

I too was disappointed. :smith:

• Locked thread