Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Me watching Mad Max when I notice that some of the practical effects are augmented by CG

"gently caress this I didn't pay to watch an animated film, yuou're a hack georgeo miller. refund me"

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EmmyOk posted:

Me watching Mad Max when I notice that some of the practical effects are augmented by CG

"gently caress this I didn't pay to watch an animated film, yuou're a hack georgeo miller. refund me"

No one is complaining about augmented photos, the discussion was about whether a specific photo had any physical costuming at all or whether everything had been added in Photoshop.

If someone posted a completely CGI film sequence in the PYF Practical Film Effects thread we'd have had a similar discussion.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No one is complaining about augmented photos, the discussion was about whether a specific photo had any physical costuming at all or whether everything had been added in Photoshop.

If someone posted a completely CGI film sequence in the PYF Practical Film Effects thread we'd have had a similar discussion.

jmistajay posted:

I guess I don't get why we care about photoshop and bother pointing it out? Like, these pics are the result of creative work by both cosplayer and photographer. Regardless of who did the lion's share they're both creative people expressing themselves with their art. If there was no original photograph of a person to build on, then ok it's probably digital art not cosplay, but short of that I'm not sure why we're discussing whether we're allowed to appreciate it or not.

LingcodKilla posted:

Because it's the cosplay thread not the digital art thread?

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I have some bad news about all professional photography.

my cat is norris posted:

A lot of the post-processing carried out by photographers and artists can bring a cosplay to serious life. I don't mind seeing it, myself. :shrug:

Though the conversation then turned to the swimsuit model photoshop discussion you're incorrect to say that's all the discussion was about.

The hair on this one is great! I wish they'd added the charring/dirt to the top of the costume though in the second picture. Though maybe it's aping a particular panel/scene

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
To me, the appeal of cosplay is seeing a character normally seen on a page or on a screen, realized in real life. Adding anything beyond stuff like a thrown fireball or something kind of diminishes that.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Does anyone have any recommendations or links for someone who can make a cartoon character's wig that looks extremely authentic? I went as Freakazoid last year to New York Comic Con, which I'm planning on doing again this year, but with a "mad scientist wig with lightning bolts spray-painted on" wig. Still was stopped every 5 seconds for a photo, being a 6'6" guy running around in a Freakzoid onesie and all, but this year I want version 2 to be even better.

I ran into someone also dressed as Freakazoid with his hair, if memory serves, carved out of foam of some kind, and it looked much better than mine.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Here's a tutorial that might get you started in the right direction: https://schmemycosplay.tumblr.com/post/143846376823/foam-wig-tutorial

Here's an example wig you might find inspiring:

If you want it to have hair on the exterior, you can purchase wigs and cut wefts from them and glue those wefts to the outside of your foam.

Oh poo poo yeah this is the wrong thread! Go to the Cosplay DIY thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045

my cat is norris has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Aug 10, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hagakure from My Hero Academia.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Too much Photoshop.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Nah, just visibly photoshopped, the area at the collar is pretty clear.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Too little photoshop

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Absolutely no Photoshop in those photos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

*Sips* Oh! This photoshop is just right. :)

Himiko Toga from My Hero Academia

Lin Beifong from Legend of Korra

Judge Joseph Dredd from Judge Dredd

Goofy, Sora, Riku and Donald in Kingdom Hearts attire

Unicorn Gundam from the Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 animated series, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn light novel series, and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: Bande Dessinée manga.

Captain Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones from Pirates of the Carribean

And now, time for many Samuses and the return of an old friend.

Thaaaat's right, dutch angles are back!

Mai, from Avatar the Last Airbender.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
https://twitter.com/tomozouamerico/status/896191954383364101

It's ok to hug these cosplayers right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

davidspackage posted:

To me, the appeal of cosplay is seeing a character normally seen on a page or on a screen, realized in real life. Adding anything beyond stuff like a thrown fireball or something kind of diminishes that.

Here's how I look at it. Joe makes a Tron suit with full practical illumination: obviously cosplay, and awesome cosplay at that. Joe makes a Tron suit then adds the illumination in digital post: not as awesome, but still cosplay. Joe puts on a green leotard then turns it into a Tron suit in digital post: not cosplay, because the costume doesn't exist.

Likewise, body art isn't cosplay. It's just an artist's picture of the character, except painted onto someone's skin instead of a printed page.

Meanwhile, here's the couple I met at a John Carpenter gig last Halloween playing Snake Plissken and Maggie. Apologies for not having a full length shot, but the gig was still letting out and there wasn't enough room. They were authentic from head to foot, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/gravitypriest/status/896076173528018948

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Googling for "llama cosplay" gets lots of weird results

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ohmygodthat'sthebest.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

RareAcumen posted:

Thaaaat's right, dutch angles are back!
Nice! The photoshop discussion actually made think "things were more innocent when all this thread got up in arms about was Dutch angles".

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Glad to see Sean Spicer enjoying his retirement.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/tomozouamerico/status/896210605320790016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Well one of those arms is definitely heavy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh jesus christ it's summer comiket

Zeta Gundam - Sirocco

Resident Evil - STARS guy

FMA - Alphonse

Random baseball dudes

Nier Automata - 2B & 9S and Adam & Eve

MCU Falcon

Lupin III - Jigen

Let It Die - Uncle Death

Tactical Bomberman

GitS 2017 Robogeisha

Nier Automata - A2

Pokemon - Brock

JJBA - Silver Chariot

Downtown - Matsumoto and Hamada

No clue but it's cool

RE4 - Ada Wong

MGSV - Venom Snake

JJBA - Rohan

Kamen Riders

BOTW Link

GuyCammy

Porco Rosso

I have no clue but I support whatever this is supposed to be

General comic characters

This was tagged as Rainbow Six: Siege. I don't know how accurate that is, but it's cool.

And finally the LA County Sheriff's Department
https://twitter.com/s55tasky/status/896519274067394560

And another gatling to add to that heavyarms up there
https://twitter.com/tudou6666/status/896394324119650304

ACES CURE PLANES has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Aug 13, 2017

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is amazing.

Is that Lady Beard?

E: It is. I Also missed the sign in the background.

https://twitter.com/Ladybeard_Japan/status/895947406084145152

The Repo Man has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Aug 13, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ya that is totally matsumoto and its hilarious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No clue but it's cool

It's the Ultra Seven Pointer!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pretty awesome, but Andreas Cahling is the real Roshi.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Was coming here to post that exact picture.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is amazing

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They look so much like them it's eerie

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

These are some good Samuses, thanks. Hoping to see some more cool ones now that they're making more games.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/YongYea/status/897640317008191488

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's impressive, but ridiculous!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

thinking about those senzu beans

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is this the same guy that previously did Nappa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless