Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

FastestGunAlive posted:

It'll do wonders for the right wing media looking to destroy any sympathy built up over the weekend

Yeah all those lives lost to silly string and glitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Pesticide20 posted:

Yo gently caress having to clean silly string and glitter off of poo poo

buy more with your DHS funbux

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man the seattle protest is going off

http://www.king5.com/news/live_breaking/king-5-breaking-news/94483762

There was just some toothless homeless dude screaming gently caress YOU at some dude calling college communists fascists

edit: lol at the camera guy giving the signal for "I need a fuckin battery!"

edit 2: chick on left, "if you're not here to throw down with nazis, you're just masturbating in the street"

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 13, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Pesticide20 posted:

Yeah all those lives lost to silly string and glitter

Truly there is no way to spin this as "leftist anarchists. Just as bad as neo nazis." I mean, they're already comparing the charlotte nazis to BLM but what's a few more Fox News hot takes between friends

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

AFStealth posted:

So when will it be safe to buy a house again? Currently house shopping...

I wouldn't worry. Taibbi over sensationalizes a ton of his poo poo, and most of the pain points brought up in this article wouldn't apply to mortgage or title loans, but rather on a scale that would hit the lending institution itself. Banks are bound by some pretty ironclad regulations and restrictions on what the can and cannot renegotiate with their clients, if the market or fiat backing changes, it's tough poo poo for them, and it's why the Fed has been requiring them to carry a ton of liquidity ever since the 08 meltdown. There's an entire field of Liquidity and Credit Risk that has come up since that crisis, and I would seriously doubt that the worldwide credit system has not had eyes on this for a while. Each bank that wants to offer conventional and federally assured mortgages is required to perform a CCAR, Regulatory Reporting, and Liquidity risk at the end of each year, this drives compliance and results in huge fines if they gently caress up at any point along that road. They cannot and will not (usually) smack down to hit their mortgage holder, lest they run afoul of fair lending and consumer protection restrictions.
A better barometer is to call your lender and talk through their rate assessment procedure with them, when a rate's good, lock it in 45 days before you want to buy, that way you buy 15 days when you can pick and choose a better rate if it comes along.

Buy within your means-- no more than 3 years annual salary/expected income, get a 30 year and pay it like a 15 year if you can and see if you can hit a 25% deposit for some sweet sweet closing cost discounts. Do modify your W-4 withholding to reflect your mortgage interest and property tax deductions BEFORE tax return season. That money is better off in your pocket, paying down outstanding loans or in a savings account where it can generate interest.

Don't do anything with the word "adjustable" in it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
On the one hand, I just spent entirely too much time shaving a beret and shaping it up.

On the other hand, I got Wolfenstein on sale but hadn't played until now, so I'm carving up virtual nazis in a beret with my grandpa's bayonet war trophy hanging next to me :getin:

btw, Chrome would like to inform me that I should capitalize nazis. gently caress you, they're lower case punks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Immanentized posted:

I wouldn't worry. Taibbi over sensationalizes a ton of his poo poo, and most of the pain points brought up in this article wouldn't apply to mortgage or title loans, but rather on a scale that would hit the lending institution itself. Banks are bound by some pretty ironclad regulations and restrictions on what the can and cannot renegotiate with their clients, if the market or fiat backing changes, it's tough poo poo for them, and it's why the Fed has been requiring them to carry a ton of liquidity ever since the 08 meltdown. There's an entire field of Liquidity and Credit Risk that has come up since that crisis, and I would seriously doubt that the worldwide credit system has not had eyes on this for a while. Each bank that wants to offer conventional and federally assured mortgages is required to perform a CCAR, Regulatory Reporting, and Liquidity risk at the end of each year, this drives compliance and results in huge fines if they gently caress up at any point along that road. They cannot and will not (usually) smack down to hit their mortgage holder, lest they run afoul of fair lending and consumer protection restrictions.
A better barometer is to call your lender and talk through their rate assessment procedure with them, when a rate's good, lock it in 45 days before you want to buy, that way you buy 15 days when you can pick and choose a better rate if it comes along.

Buy within your means-- no more than 3 years annual salary/expected income, get a 30 year and pay it like a 15 year if you can and see if you can hit a 25% deposit for some sweet sweet closing cost discounts. Do modify your W-4 withholding to reflect your mortgage interest and property tax deductions BEFORE tax return season. That money is better off in your pocket, paying down outstanding loans or in a savings account where it can generate interest.

Don't do anything with the word "adjustable" in it.

Also note paying half every two weeks instead of once every month carves a 30 year loan down to 23.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

mlmp08 posted:

On the other hand, I got Wolfenstein on sale but hadn't played until now

Yoink.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

shame on an IGA posted:

Also note paying half every two weeks instead of once every month carves a 30 year loan down to 23.

Wait, what?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Depends HEAVILY on your lending institution. Smaller ones are usually better with this.
Buyer beware that this doesn't always work with ACH based mortgage payment systems. It was a thing back before online banking and the floating batch points became a thing.
https://www.trulia.com/blog/do-biweekly-payments-plans-help-pay-off-mortgage-early/

Flikken posted:

There are 52 weeks in a year not 48.

You'll make 13 months of payment in a year instead of 12.

In raw numbers, yeah.
Unfortunately the mortgage assessors aren't paying attention to weeks, they pay attention to monthly cycles when they do their annuities and underwriting. You can only really get away with this at regional or local banks at best. It's why when you have a payment statement, there is usually a fixed date, say 15 days from the first of the month before you get pinged by a late fee. That's the only real two-week cheat there is when it comes to this stuff.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 14, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

There are 52 weeks in a year not 48.

You'll make 13 months of payment in a year instead of 12.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
News on the Charlottesville pepewarrior.

Per the Army, he reported for Boot Camp, but "failed to meet standards."

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/896896715319635968

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I've heard of people being filtered out for being racist to the point of being unable to function around minorities.

Could that get marked down as, "failed to meet standards?"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gosh I wonder if it was all the mean people yelling at him or all the push-ups.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Gosh I wonder if it was all the mean people yelling at him or all the push-ups.

I don't even understand how that works. My mum was a soldier, my grandad was and a bunch of my other relatives, and while I've ended up a mathematician, I can't work out how the gently caress you wash out that quickly. I'm a lard rear end and I'm pretty sure I could outlast that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Doing zero research or preparation into it before leaving for boot. Some people are just lazy poo poo stains.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Well he got more confirmed kills out than in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ideally your conformed kills shouldn't get you the death penalty.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Hexyflexy posted:

I don't even understand how that works. My mum was a soldier, my grandad was and a bunch of my other relatives, and while I've ended up a mathematician, I can't work out how the gently caress you wash out that quickly. I'm a lard rear end and I'm pretty sure I could outlast that.

It's all intellectual. US Army basic training is 9 weeks in length (10, technically, but the first week doesn't officially involve physical training, drill or classwork). That's enough time for even the most physically unprepared recruit to train to the standards required of American soldiers.

If the dude washed out of BCT, either he gave up and allowed himself to fail out, or he was too mentally ill to meet standards.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Arc Light posted:

It's all intellectual. US Army basic training is 9 weeks in length (10, technically, but the first week doesn't officially involve physical training, drill or classwork). That's enough time for even the most physically unprepared recruit to train to the standards required of American soldiers.

If the dude washed out of BCT, either he gave up and allowed himself to fail out, or he was too mentally ill to meet standards.

Pretty much . It's easy to get excited about the idea of fighting for your country. The reality of it being more like "be a minimally functional human being and do these lovely mundane tasks for your country" is too much for some dudes to handle.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LingcodKilla posted:

Ideally your conformed kills shouldn't get you the death penalty.

My hot take is that he'll walk.

:smith:

Maybe the murder 2 charge is the prosecution trying to get a conviction more likely, but plenty of people in the Justice system are complicit with this whole poo poo show.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Given this was probably two years ago I can say that outside failing an APFT, you can still be pushed through to AIT. When I was a PL I was getting people running 20 minute two miles after only a week or two after graduating AIT. My best guess is he probably had something else happen than the traditional shitbag angle.

I saw comments from a high school teach that had him for two years say that he idolized nazism and would often argue the merits of Hitler. Usually I'd chalk that up to being a stupid edgy kid, but it seems like he honestly believed it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Maybe a judge will suspend his sentence if he joins the military ahahahahhaahahaaaaaa kill him

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There was a guy in reception (oh boy BCT stories!) that had literally never seen a black person (or any non-caucasian) until arriving at Ft. Leonard Wood. He was losing his loving mind. I also had a guy in my OSUT company that had never seen snow in person.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

According to his high school history teacher he wrote a paper where he basically sucked off Nazi Germany. I hope that doesn't get thrown out at the trial.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Vasudus posted:

There was a guy in reception (oh boy BCT stories!) that had literally never seen a black person (or any non-caucasian) until arriving at Ft. Leonard Wood. He was losing his loving mind. I also had a guy in my OSUT company that had never seen snow in person.

The no-snow people are hilarious and I never stopped finding more of them throughout my army times

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Vasudus posted:

The only time where (as a black dude myself) showing up to a dudes room in black face would be funny.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
drat, he never got an MOS, nor even got a unit.

https://twitter.com/wjhenn/status/896894942269902851

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Vasudus posted:

I also had a guy in my OSUT company that had never seen snow in person.

This was me on my first unit in Seattle. A friend of mine took me to a mountain up in Seattle and I was in awe looking at the godammed snow falling from the sky, at the snow in the ground and all that loving white powder poo poo all over the godammed place.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

According to his high school history teacher he wrote a paper where he basically sucked off Nazi Germany. I hope that doesn't get thrown out at the trial.

:10bux: says he hangs himself before trial.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I would love to hear from his drill sergeants.

Hexyflexy posted:

Say your piece and sign off on that friendship. Been there, done that. Not worth keeping that havoc in your life, trust me.

And I'm watching Fury rather than keeping an eye on the news, thanks thread.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Im not gonna tell you what you should do in your social circle but its gotta stop somewhere. Thankfully the worst I'm dealing with is "we just need prayer and talking to end the violence" and no motherfucker my granddads didn't end this poo poo with prayer they ended it with .30-06 and high explosives

Yeah, I think I might just sit down and start deleting a lot of people on facebook. I've only kept it to keep in touch with old army buddies basically, and I think it's probably time to start cutting off contact with some of them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So the opinion on my Facebook network is "Well if the liberals didn't instigate the violence there wouldn't have been any problems"

Time to delete the trash, I guess

However, it is slightly heartening to see a couple of the hard right warriors draw a line against nazis

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 14, 2017

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Stultus Maximus posted:

:10bux: says he hangs himself before trial.

I'll take that bet. No way a piece of poo poo like that has the guts.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Basic training tends to be collaborative. If a recruit is a fuckup, everyone in the platoon/flight/whatever will be punished. This tends to mean that everyone covers down for the lovely recruits. Way back in the day when I went through basic, we had some absolute turds who probably shouldn't have graduated. Borderline retards with no ability to learn or adapt. They made it through because everyone else made their beds, folded their laundry, tutored them, etc. We didn't like them, we just didn't want the group punishment that would accompany their failure to meet standards.

What I'm getting at is, how much of a fuckup do you need to be before your buddies stop covering for you and let you fail publicly?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arc Light posted:

What I'm getting at is, how much of a fuckup do you need to be before your buddies stop covering for you and let you fail publicly?

If you gently caress up fast and hard you just get sent to psych and kicked out for failure to adapt

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
if you want to quit, just go tell someone you want to quit

it is that easy

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
THE WHITE MASTER RACE HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG

*fails basic training that almost any inbred piece of poo poo can pass*

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
*goes to nazi march wearing fatigues*

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

:stare: Good to know.

Edit: Ah. Still good to know.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Please explain how this works out, I'm not getting it.

• Locked thread