Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Taintrunner posted:

the fact an unhinged psychotic monster like Caruso has gotten as far as he has in D.C. speaks to how rotten the core of America has become

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Please don't doxx me like that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/896823834338263041

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Nonsense posted:

The alternative is violence.
Alt-Violence.

not to be confused with Ctrl-Alt-Violence.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It is working very very well. It happened the moment Heather was killed.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You gotta have an inclusive language + modern frame of reference for 95+% of people to give a gently caress what ur talking about.

Libertarians, nazis and (regrettably) much of the left have the same problem.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

whats even better is the media also recognizing those dog whistles and then actively choosing not to hear them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

docbeard posted:

Oh, and while I'm being real, quit obsessing over random idiots on Twitter, y'all. Jen Kirkman is a cautionary example of why one shouldn't. Don't turn into her.

I do it because they're good to laugh at

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/896879423282176000

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ra9cXx1-o

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

the fact an unhinged psychotic monster like Caruso has gotten as far as he has in D.C. speaks to how rotten the core of America has become

'Has become'? It's always been poo poo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/896881724113772544

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
intersting that the manager of the burger store in clerks 2 has joined w/ the proletariat

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

uhhh has become?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zecH1M8sHXw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zegermans posted:

I eagerly look forward to posts about how it's the SPD's fault that Left didn't reach the runoff and now we're stuck with Merkel again.

There are things much more fulfilling than trolling and strawmanning and you knew it last time you took a break. Let go of the contrarianism. We can take you through a 12 step plan if you really need to

zegermans posted:

ok I'm gonna put aside the trolling and strawmanning and legit ask, how the gently caress do you explain Trump's appeal if not for racism? There's no way these people are so stupid that they believe his transparent lies about jobs - that was just a cover for them to vote for him.

If you believe it's SOLELY racism then you're incredibly incredibly mistaken and also blatantly haven't bothered to read one single bit of what people have been telling you the past 10 months but that's kinda par for the course for the person so incredibly addicted to contrarianism to fill the gaping void in his life that his young wife, newborn daughter, and career can't seem to fill

Massive, colossal income inequality and a staggering societal emptiness and overwhelming sense of futility is the norm, not the exception, for most Americans nowadays. Trump came along and directly told them, he would fix it. Whatever other promises he made they were able to overlook because Trump was directly addressing them, told them that he would solve their problems. That Nazis and white supremacists, and, yes, a bunch of garden variety racists, supported Trump doesn't disprove the above.

Bernie was able to rally huge and enthusiastic crowds because he directly addressed people, recognized their problems and hardships, explained why their lives sucked, and what he was going to do that would directly solve their problems

It's no surprise Trump's approval plunged once he got into office and showed that, no, he wasn't going to do a single bit about their problems. The people still sticking around are the ones with sunk cost fallacy and the outright Nazis and flat-out racists, and the deeply deeply uninformed

Populist anger happens when large swathes of the population are deeply unhappy and the system is failing them. They will tell you quite clearly what the gently caress is wrong, the problem is their solutions usually loving suck. So if you don't want to see more Donald Trumps you absolutely need politicians and candidates that are willing to actually connect to their citizens and represent them and work for them, instead of attempting to enrich themselves and furiously jack themselves off at the erotic thought of power

When this is happening, when people are so super angry with the system, serving up a system politician who insists to them "all we need is slight tweaks" is not going to work. Even if Hillary had won, there would still be this massive simmering unrest, the opiate crisis, the racists and Nazis unifying, a Republican congress and 35 Republican-controlled states, and the deep sense that the system is falling loving apart.

Large fries to go.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

intersting that the manager of the burger store in clerks 2 has joined w/ the proletariat

im not even supposed to be here today!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the connection between poor whites = racism is the problem. most poor whites didn't loving vote, most poor people didn't loving vote that was the democrats problem. trump didn't win just because he massed enough people to vote for him - plenty of middling affluent people voted for him - but because a lot of poor people had no one to vote for

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol too late they're already trapped in an echo chamber of screeching autists

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching uh a new Netflix standup, "Immigrant" by Maz Jobrani... and yeah Trump is the worst thing that has ever happened to comedy. It's amazing how apparently Dubya never happened

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I'm watching uh a new Netflix standup, "Immigrant" by Maz Jobrani... and yeah Trump is the worst thing that has ever happened to comedy. It's amazing how apparently Dubya never happened

i haven't seen it. which gauntlet of unfunny does it run into

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

the connection between poor whites = racism is the problem. most poor whites didn't loving vote, most poor people didn't loving vote that was the democrats problem. trump didn't win just because he massed enough people to vote for him - plenty of middling affluent people voted for him - but because a lot of poor people had no one to vote for

Trump got the same proportion of registered voters as every other 21st century Republican candidate. Hillary lost because Dems hemorrhaged voters.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Thanks Obama

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/896799082429198337

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Trump got the same proportion of registered voters as every other 21st century Republican candidate. Hillary lost because Dems hemorrhaged voters.

Both Trump and Hillary hemorrhaged voters (2 party share was historically bad). Hillary's were just in more electorally relevant states, whereas Trump saw losses (sometimes huge ones) in states like Georgia, Texas, and California. South Carolina actually released anonymized individual-level ballot results, showing far, far more voters split their ticket for Hillary/GOP downballot than the other way around. I think it's fairly clear that Hillary actually did succeed in flipping a lot of suburban GOP voters, but her performance in rural America was catastrophic and historically poor - like, 20-30 point swings toward GOP bad, mainly because former Dem voters flipped to Trump.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

It's me, one half of the world famous Bernie Bros,

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Man Musk posted:

It's me, one half of the world famous Bernie Bros,

bernie bernie & his brother, luigi bernie

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bernie spittin troof

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

hillaryman friend just told me the crowd that was hit was mainstream Dems ("just like the women's march") and Bernie Bros/DSA are just trying to insert themselves to pretend to be not racesexist again

this is the same loving person i offered to put in contact with DSA peeps down there Saturday morning if he wanted to go because he was really upset about the Nazi march the night before

im so loving done with neolibs.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breakfast All Day posted:

hillaryman friend just told me the crowd that was hit was mainstream Dems ("just like the women's march") and Bernie Bros/DSA are just trying to insert themselves to pretend to be not racesexist again

your friend has 🐛 brain worms 🐛 hope that helps

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

this is the same loving person i offered to put in contact with DSA peeps down there Saturday morning if he wanted to go because he was really upset about the Nazi march the night before

The same crowd that had half a dozen people carrying big red DSA flags.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Deep
State
Aficionados

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If only half a dozen had flags, how many DSA members could there really have been in that crowd? :agesilaus:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barry Convex posted:

If only half a dozen had flags, how many DSA members could there really have been in that crowd? :agesilaus:

the only way to know is by replacing all the flags with yard signs

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
those flags are loving expensive, Amazon has them at forty bucks a pop

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
How many ad buys in LA does the DSA flag budget get you anyways

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sounds like rich white berniebros going on vehicular homicide tourism.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

What's he going to trust, his twitter, or his lying eyes?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I literally know people in the crowd. But DSA==berniebro==racists is screwed so god drat deep into these fuckers minds by Daou and co they will filter and permute any and all evidence until it fits their prior model.

Also I am a apparently Nazi apologist now because I explained the history of white poverty and labor to him after the election, and all poor white people are Nazis now. Nevermind that I was explaining how race was used as a lever to divide the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i want to learn sitching and fabric stuff so i can make a big ridiculous early modern style battle standard.

like this but with more roses

• Locked thread