Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I am really struggling to stay away from the clip. Does it show the entire storm drain scene? I want to see as little as possible now but you're all making it very difficult.

I would recommend watching, it doesn't give up anything too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It raised my interest in this movie approximately 1000x more than any of the trailers did.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I am really struggling to stay away from the clip. Does it show the entire storm drain scene? I want to see as little as possible now but you're all making it very difficult.

Everything up to Georgie reaching in to retrieve his boat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It cuts away just as he reaches in to grab the boat.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I watched most of it. Gave away too much. Kill me.

Pennywise was outstanding though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It felt like there was a cut in the middle, around 1:28, there's kind of a discontinuity in the music.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How does it give away anything?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah there's definitely a cut.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's probably a cut back to Bill.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've watched that clip like 5x now.

same. cant wait for this to come out

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Are you just pretending the book or the other versions of this don't exist? lol

The story is the same

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Acht posted:

It's mindboggling how incredible this looks so far. It doesn't make sense, does it?
Cinematically, it looks amazing, Pennywise, by some miracle, is working out insanely well, Derry is spot-on...
Can't wait!

It's like the image in my head when I read the book fully realized only with a few layers of extra and needed weirdness tacked on. If the whole film is like this I really think we have something. What was the last King horror novel that really sunk in as a film? Seriously?

If King sees an advanced screening and hates it then I'll know it's gonna be really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

What was the last King horror novel that really sunk in as a film? Seriously?

Not a novel, but The Mist.

BiggerBoat posted:

If King sees an advanced screening and hates it then I'll know it's gonna be really good.

King is so fuckin' pumped that he did a little introduction for the trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 14, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not a novel, but The Mist.

King is so fuckin' pumped that he did a little introduction for the trailer.

Oh poo poo. That's a bad sign.

I think you're right about The Mist. I liked it.

I just think it's weird that for a writer who's considered the King of Horror, I found myself hard pressed to think of a horror story he'd written that really stood up in film. Most of his best movies were dramas or suspense (Stand By Me, Green Mile, Misery, Delores Claiborne). You almost have to go all the way back to The Shining to get a real bonafide, scary horror classic, which is odd if you view him through the lens of a true master of the art.

Which King unquestionably is.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I gave up on The Mist tv show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

I dunno man...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm just talking poo poo but King does have a bad track record with his opinions of movie adaptations of his work. Didn't he love Maximum Overdrive and hate The Shining? And I still think it's weird how few really good horror films we've gotten from all the great books he's written.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

I think you're right about The Mist. I liked it.

I just think it's weird that for a writer who's considered the King of Horror, I found myself hard pressed to think of a horror story he'd written that really stood up in film. Most of his best movies were dramas or suspense (Stand By Me, Green Mile, Misery, Delores Claiborne). You almost have to go all the way back to The Shining to get a real bonafide, scary horror classic, which is odd if you view him through the lens of a true master of the art.

Which King unquestionably is.

Depalma's Carrie is really good :colbert:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
First trailer got me cautiously rowdy from Nightmare on Elm Street vibes but this preview clip has me doin the celebratory Breakfast Club punch dance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm just talking poo poo but King does have a bad track record with his opinions of movie adaptations of his work. Didn't he love Maximum Overdrive and hate The Shining? And I still think it's weird how few really good horror films we've gotten from all the great books he's written.

King's never been shy about what he likes and doesn't like after the fact, but I honestly can't recall him flogging his name like this on something directly. The way I take it so far is that he's pleased at how faithful it is.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BiggerBoat posted:

My dude didn't just like Maximum Overdrive, he directed it. And was heavily featured in the trailer, aka the single best thing Stephen King has ever done in the history of his career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

Also, I won't say his enthusiasm for this bodes dark tidings, but he did also really love The Dark Tower. Which... like... dude?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Depalma's Carrie is really good :colbert:

Agreed. But that was before The Shining. He really doesn't have a lot of great horror movies to show for all the great books he's written. I liked Christine, Cujo, some of Creepshow, Carrie and that's about it as far as scary poo poo goes.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 14, 2017

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
His reason for disliking The Shining is valid. His book is about alcoholism as a monster and Kubrick's movie is about white men in general as monsters with alcohol just being a means to an end. I get when you write a book that's so personal to you especially in the main character that seeing such a different product would be off-putting.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Fart City posted:

My dude didn't just like Maximum Overdrive, he directed it.

Nah he didn't he just allowed his body to be a vessel for cocaine to direct a movie.....

And it ruled!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
He disliked the Shining as an adaptation of his work but I believe he liked it as its own thing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fart City posted:

My dude didn't just like Maximum Overdrive, he directed it. And was heavily featured in the trailer, aka the single best thing Stephen King has ever done in the history of his career:

I beg to differ. EDIT: boo, missing half of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXU0uq-B6F8

Gaz2k21 posted:

Nah he didn't he just allowed his body to be a vessel for cocaine to direct a movie.....

And it ruled!

This man is correct. It is impossible to hate Maximum Overdrive and I can prove it on a blackboard. Killer ice cream trucks playing "Trailers for Sale or Rent"? A Little League team massacred by a coke machine? PAT HINGLE with a loving BAZOOKA? This, the second best thing King has ever done in his life?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys0h2TfNSHs

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 14, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Christ, I looked up adaptations and there are so many more than I even remember there being. Apparently there was an film of 'big driver' in 2014? Jeez

I guess I so often think of adaptations of his being bad with the rare exception but really, man, even just the ones I enjoy, Carrie, The Shining, The Dead Zone, Stand by Me, Misery, The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, The Green Mile, The Mist, are more good films made of their work than almost any author I can think of.

Oh and The Running Man is an eternal classic~

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I beg to differ. EDIT: boo, missing half of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXU0uq-B6F8

Well, technically, we're both wrong here.

The real apex of King's entire career is clearly "The Lonesome Death of Jody Verrill" from Creepshow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC_bgNxnW-Q

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Night Flier is severly underrated. Now it's not in the same league as say Creepshow, Carrie, Dead Zone, Christine, the Shining, and the Mist but it's still drat enjoyable. It has the most memorable vampire design I've seen in any movie ever, aside from maybe Nosferatu. The main character, portrayed with gusto by Miguel Ferrer, is a massive rear end in a top hat. At times it feels like a proto-Nightcrawler since the protagonist is a amoral photographer who will do anything for the most sensational shots including intruding on a scene of an accident.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The best moment in any King movie is in Cat's Eye when the guy yells "you flying shithouse!" and kicks a pigeon

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It kind of sucks that Darabont is sitting on the rights to The Long Walk because I feel like it would be a pretty good YAish indie film.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Krazyface posted:

It felt like there was a cut in the middle, around 1:28, there's kind of a discontinuity in the music.

You're right. What's missing in that little chunk:

Georgie asks him what he's doing in the sewer. Pennywise says the storm blew him away, him and the whole circus, and can you smell the circus, Georgie? Can you smell hot dogs...and cotton candy... and...

Georgie is sniffing he air, he can really smell it, just like in the book, and finally he smells something else. Popcorn!

Pennywise asks if popcorn is his favorite, he says yes, and Pennywise gets a little goofy for a moment, saying it's his favorite too, because it goes Pop! Pop! Pop pop pop pop!

Georgie is laughing along with him, and suddenly Pennywise stops smiling completely, and just stares at him with this really disturbing look on his face.

Then the clip you see resumes, Georgie is visibly unsettled by the look Pennywise is giving him, and is about to go, etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Night Flier is severly underrated. Now it's not in the same league as say Creepshow, Carrie, Dead Zone, Christine, the Shining, and the Mist but it's still drat enjoyable. It has the most memorable vampire design I've seen in any movie ever, aside from maybe Nosferatu. The main character, portrayed with gusto by Miguel Ferrer, is a massive rear end in a top hat. At times it feels like a proto-Nightcrawler since the protagonist is a amoral photographer who will do anything for the most sensational shots including intruding on a scene of an accident.

Yep. Rewatched it a few months ago and it holds up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It was relatively rare to see anything that starred Miguel Ferrer so I absolutely cherish The Night Flier.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. But that was before The Shining. He really doesn't have a lot of great horror movies to show for all the great books he's written. I liked Christine, Cujo, some of Creepshow, Carrie and that's about it as far as scary poo poo goes.

Fair enough, and I've seen all of those movies and really enjoyed them, Dead Zone and Pet Semetery too but I haven't read them.

I have a soft spot for Children of the Corn because it's so fun.

Fart City posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

Also, I won't say his enthusiasm for this bodes dark tidings, but he did also really love The Dark Tower. Which... like... dude?

I've somehow never seen a trailer for Maximum Overdrive before, and honestly only had a passing familiarity with it because of the Green Goblin truck but didn't actually know what it was about.

That was the single most Stephen King rear end thing I've ever seen and I need to see that loving movie now. :perfect:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The only one of his adaptations that I've heard King be negative about is the Shining, and aside from the disagreement about the movie's version of his story, he might've hated Kubrick for poo poo like calling him in the middle of the night to ask him if he believed in God. Overall I think he's just excited every time a book of his is filmed, regardless of quality.

Or maybe, more cynically, it puts a lot of cash in his pocket, and he is a blue collar writer who came up from having very little.

Comparing Skarsgard to Ledger's Joker here seems very on the money, it's a cartoonish, very dedicated performance. This clip is giving me a very good vibe for the movie. September's close...

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

davidspackage posted:

The only one of his adaptations that I've heard King be negative about is the Shining, and aside from the disagreement about the movie's version of his story, he might've hated Kubrick for poo poo like calling him in the middle of the night to ask him if he believed in God. Overall I think he's just excited every time a book of his is filmed, regardless of quality.

Or maybe, more cynically, it puts a lot of cash in his pocket, and he is a blue collar writer who came up from having very little.

Comparing Skarsgard to Ledger's Joker here seems very on the money, it's a cartoonish, very dedicated performance. This clip is giving me a very good vibe for the movie. September's close...

I don't think there's much cynicism to it, I think the man legit just loves to see his stories told on the big screen. Movies were as much a part of his childhood as reading was.

He's also an old man at this point, let uncle Stevie have his fun.

Also I forgot how goofy he looked back when he had the beard and was all coked out. Them cross eyes. I grew up with a clean shaven King so beardy weirdo King always cracks me up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Like others asked how did it give away anything you didn't already know?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What I mean is that I didn't think it would include nearly the entire scene. I'm glad there's a cut and what MrMojok describes sounds excellent. The portrayal of Pennywise is something I really want to see in context, now that I'm satisfied it's going to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

He disliked the Shining as an adaptation of his work but I believe he liked it as its own thing.

For me the movie adaptation wasn't good as a King adaptation but as a Kubrick work it was good if that makes sense, so I enjoy it more as a Kubrick film. The miniseries adaptation was a skosh better in some aspects but still suffers from the limitations of being a TV miniseries. I'd love to see a fairly faithful adaptation of The Shining, but which director would be able to pull that off?

• Locked thread