Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

horse mans posted:

Is the Forest worth playing in single-player?

I'd say yeah. If you like base building and defense and exploration you would probably like it. It's only $15 anyway.

It's early access but I still really enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Loving TLD, but i really wish games like this had a in game notebook you could scribble in and the ability to draw on the map.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Loving TLD, but i really wish games like this had a in game notebook you could scribble in and the ability to draw on the map.

There is a notebook. I don't have it in front of me but it's on the tab in the menu with "locations". I think it's the knowledge tab. You can make notes for each place.

Editing the map would be helpful though.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

tuyop posted:

There is a notebook. I don't have it in front of me but it's on the tab in the menu with "locations". I think it's the knowledge tab. You can make notes for each place.

Editing the map would be helpful though.

Oh hell yeah, look at that, that's cool. Thanks!

Unrelated, can you lose the weapon you use to fight back against wolves? I have misplaced Jeremiahs knife and it's the only thing i can think of that could have happened.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

horse mans posted:

I just put about 20 hours into Subnautica and I think that's all I'm going to get out of it. Got a base, got a Cyclops, but I'm not feeling the urge to advance beyond the first part of the "plot". I'd still like a game with base building and defense and exploration, but I really do like the feeling in Subnautica of "I'm safe in my submarine, hanging out in the dark, crafting some stuff and figuring out what to do next."

Is there anything like that hanging around? Is the Forest worth playing in single-player? Is there a Space-nautica with space stations and poo poo?

I haven't played the newest updates yet but, No Man's Sky?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dongattack posted:

Oh hell yeah, look at that, that's cool. Thanks!

Unrelated, can you lose the weapon you use to fight back against wolves? I have misplaced Jeremiahs knife and it's the only thing i can think of that could have happened.

I've noticed that when I'm attacked by a wolf, things will fall out of my pack onto the ground, and I have to pick them up again. RIP my crowbar that got stranded somewhere in the forest behind the train tracks before I realized this.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah, I think I lost my hatchet in Milton that way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
question about the long dude: i know at one point during development, they added some bullshit with parasites if you ate too much wolf meat or some nonsense. is that still in the game? i just killed my first wolf and i want an idea of how many of the ~4k calories that came out of that son of a bitch are actually usable.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It's disabled on the two lower difficulties of freeplay, it's still a thing on the other difficulties tho.
As for story mode I ate an entire wolf like a in game week ago in and nothing yet so far.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Dongattack posted:

I ate an entire wolf

:black101:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Jesus christ, you can't talk to Jeremiah anymore after killing the bear? I wanted to loving get his blueprints and side quest, nobody loving tests stuff before making GBS threads it out anymore :negative:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The whole NPC trust/blueprints thing is really poorly thought out and explained (ironic given all the tutorial-like tasks they make you do for stuff that anyone can figure out by themselves in about an hour of play). I only found out about it after completing Jeremiah's quests, so I got nothing from Gray Mother either. Hopefully when episode 3 rolls around they'll have a way for you to get blueprints that you missed before, but I'm not counting on it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The only upside is that storymode vomits resources at you, so craftable gear doesn't seem quite as important.

Assuming it stays that way in later episodes, of course.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I eat wild venison every year in fall/winter because I have friends who are hunters, and a hunting club who hunts on the area, and we always freeze it then cook it to kill of parasites. Because of that, I can't help but feel vaguely condescended to that The Long Dark doesn't have parasites by default. In fact, I've been cooking all the venison because in the game, the popup told me to!

Also, about trust, what's the highest value you can have with a person? I wanna make sure I have all the blueprints I can before moving on.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Catalina posted:

Also, about trust, what's the highest value you can have with a person? I wanna make sure I have all the blueprints I can before moving on.

Go into your journal - trust - the person you wanna thrust will have a trust tab that shows all you can unlock and how much you need. Numerically the total is 375 iirc.

Edit: If you are trying to build trust with Jeremiah, get him to max before you finish his main quest. There's a bug (retarded design decision?) right now that makes him uninteractable after that.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Dongattack posted:

the person you wanna thrust will have a trust tab that shows all you can unlock and how much you need.

Yeah buddy. :gizz:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Numerically it's 375 for at least Jeremiah and Gray Mother, and in both cases the max reward is a pretty nice bonus. Gray Mother gives you some proper boots that are both faster and warmer than the hiking boots you're probably wearing up to that point.

Haifisch posted:

The only upside is that storymode vomits resources at you, so craftable gear doesn't seem quite as important.

Assuming it stays that way in later episodes, of course.

It's kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda important, the other thing to note is that the weather in story mode seems a lot more likely to get bad and stay bad for multiple days at a time than it does in survival mode. I had 5 days where it was nothing but fog, blizzards, and heavy snow while hanging out in mystery lake, and the main reason I was able to keep going and thrive was because I spent so much time being conscientious about having rabbit mittens, getting GM's really warm shoes, keeping what I had in excellent repair, etc. There's a huge switch that gets flicked when you are able to ignore the cold and just walk around.

That said, it doesn't compare to a hard survival mode, so

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Catalina posted:

I eat wild venison every year in fall/winter because I have friends who are hunters, and a hunting club who hunts on the area, and we always freeze it then cook it to kill of parasites. Because of that, I can't help but feel vaguely condescended to that The Long Dark doesn't have parasites by default. In fact, I've been cooking all the venison because in the game, the popup told me to!

You get various food poisoning maladies if you eat raw food. Parasites are specifically related to eating cooked or uncooked predator meat on higher difficulties. It was added midway through development to deal with a high level player strategy of rushing bow in week 1 and then just living fat off the plentiful fast-respawning wolves and 50kg worth of bear meat per kill. I think the idea was that these kills were supposed to be obscenely hard, but there really isn't a solution for climbing up on a narrow log & waiting for the bear to bleed out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

does parasite risk still never go down at all? that was the dumbest thing to me when i saw it come up. yeah, sure, fine, i get that you need to nerf someone just cooking up loving 100kg of meat, boiling 100L of water, and then just laying around all day like a loving NPC. but come the hell on, unless i want to get some horrific disease i can only ever eat like one wolf ever? give me a break.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It does go down. I think parasite chance lowers every 24h or so. Parasite is also not lethal I think? More like a long term debuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

looking at the wiki, it's a hard core affliction. you lose max condition and also fatigue the longer the problem goes on, and you must take an antibiotic treatment every day for a long time to get rid of it. on the upside, i suppose, while you're treating it you can eat as much carnivore meat as you want, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They need to add a compass to TLD. I'm just horrible with directions and orienteering in general. I get lost walking from Trapper's cabin to Lake office.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

TeaJay posted:

They need to add a compass to TLD. I'm just horrible with directions and orienteering in general. I get lost walking from Trapper's cabin to Lake office.

At first I got quite lost as well. I used to think the same way, but after awhile I started to learn to keep track of landmarks and terrain features to get around. Once that happened I found the game more rewarding... especially since many other games are basically auto-pilot with all the way-points, mini-maps, etc...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, i have a pretty loving good sense of direction and even i can get disoriented on very foggy days in TLD. i ended up losing my way when walking back to Jeremiah's from the lookout point and nearly got frostbite because I was bumbling around like a loving idiot for so long. finally found the railroad and that got me back to his cabin before i lost some toes.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Much like in real life, it's a good idea to occasionally look behind you as you walk somewhere, thus being able to recognize landmarks should you ever want to come back.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Picked up TLD over the weekend and I'm really enjoying it. I use the "voyager" setting on the Mystery Lake. I had a pretty good situation going, but while exploring the dam I decided to check what's behind the emergency door. Desperation ensued. I somehow ended up in Pleasant Valley after being attacked by a wolf. It was dark but I somehow made it to a fishing hut after using an emergency sim.

I didn't want to lose 14 days of survival so I looked up the online map to find something I could use as a hub. I realize this is not the way this is meant to be played, and was thinking that a cool feature would be to find maps periodically. They may be out of date or lead to dead ends (avalanches, burnt buildings, etc.) but maybe lead to what could be maybe a safe place (or would be a safe place if it wasn't behind a pack of wolves).

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I had a pretty good situation going, but while exploring the dam I decided to check what's behind the emergency door. Desperation ensued. I somehow ended up in Pleasant Valley after being attacked by a wolf.

I backed TLD on Kickstarter and played a bit of the beta, and it's warming my heart that Fluffy is still scaring the crap out of new players.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I didn't want to lose 14 days of survival so I looked up the online map to find something I could use as a hub. I realize this is not the way this is meant to be played, and was thinking that a cool feature would be to find maps periodically. They may be out of date or lead to dead ends (avalanches, burnt buildings, etc.) but maybe lead to what could be maybe a safe place (or would be a safe place if it wasn't behind a pack of wolves).
There is an in-game feature to draw your own maps(take charcoal from fires), but it takes a ridiculously long time to make anything halfway useful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Trivia posted:

Much like in real life, it's a good idea to occasionally look behind you as you walk somewhere, thus being able to recognize landmarks should you ever want to come back.

i do that just because i'm paranoid about keeping my head on the swivel for loving wolves.

Catalina posted:

I backed TLD on Kickstarter and played a bit of the beta, and it's warming my heart that Fluffy is still scaring the crap out of new players.

it's the shared trauma that binds all TLD players together. if you haven't poo poo yourself because of Fluffy, you haven't actually played the game.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Haifisch posted:

There is an in-game feature to draw your own maps(take charcoal from fires), but it takes a ridiculously long time to make anything halfway useful.

Yes and this is a neat feature. I guess what I mean is finding maps that act more like clues for something worth exploring. On the other hand, maybe this would take away too much.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm doing the story mode and I'm still at the part where you bring the old hunter stuff. Are the plants finally the last part? (done hunting, fishing and crafting) It's like the game is actively trying to encourage me to stop playing it with this tediously annoying gathering resources-part. Not to mention I've even starting to run out of food myself! It's just a complete slog and feels just artificial lenghtening of an already short game.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I wish that TLD had orienteering/mapmaking/etc like Misasmata, it really helped me remember where everything was when I was constantly drawing out my map from landmarks. That said, I haven't gotten very far in TLD in either story or survival mode so i might just get used to it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TeaJay posted:

I know its no excuse, but would compasses even work in TLD's Geomagnetic event? I haven't played the story yet so maybe that mentions it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it overtly screws up electricity, so yeah probably not? but naturally it doesn't screw up electricity in any way that makes sense or is reasonable in the slightest so who the gently caress even knows.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 15, 2017

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I'm doing the story mode and I'm still at the part where you bring the old hunter stuff. Are the plants finally the last part? (done hunting, fishing and crafting) It's like the game is actively trying to encourage me to stop playing it with this tediously annoying gathering resources-part. Not to mention I've even starting to run out of food myself! It's just a complete slog and feels just artificial lenghtening of an already short game.

Yeah you're basically done. There's only one more quest for Jeremiah after that. However, a word of warning: as mentioned up-thread somewhere, once you finish Jeremiah's quests, you can no longer interact with him, which means that you won't be able to get blueprints from him for deerhide stuff. So if this is important to you and you don't have the blueprints already, you should probably work on grinding his trust and getting them now before triggering the next quest. I can't remember exactly, but I think when you hand in the mats for the last Survival School quest, it automatically triggers his last quest, and I would honestly advise that you avoid doing that and work on his trust first (again, if you care about getting the higher tier clothing items).

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 15, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

one slightly nonobvious thing about the crafted gear like the deerskin stuff, by the way: they basically all have -5% mobility? that ONLY encumbers your sprint stamina, which you in general will not be using a huge amount of if you're playing the game with a bit of awareness. i thought for the longest loving time that it reduced your walking speed and therefore avoided a lot of that gear pretty hard.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
Do mobility penalties limit speed while sprinting? I thought they just reduced the time you had available to sprint.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
You definitely run slower if you're over the 30kg weight limit (and can't run at all over 40kg ), but I'm not sure if the sprint penalties for individual pieces of clothing slow you down. I'm think it just affects sprint time, as you say. I don't use sprint very often, though, so I could be wrong about that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The Jeremiah trust bug is fixed now in TLD, currently wearing my brand new deer gear while getting ready to leave episode 2 behind. Is there a cool reward for Jeremiahs sidequest at max trust? I'd have to grind a bit to get to it so wanna know if its worth it.

Edit: Super curious about something, these fishing huts on Mystery Lake are they on stilts or do they just push them onto the ice come winter? I've never seen one irl.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Edit: Super curious about something, these fishing huts on Mystery Lake are they on stilts or do they just push them onto the ice come winter? I've never seen one irl.

In real life? They're on skids and you drag them out onto the ice every year.