Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If elves takes off and keeps winning turn 3 druid is going to eat a ban.

Haven't been paying attention. Any recent additions that strengthened the deck?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rinkles posted:

Haven't been paying attention. Any recent additions that strengthened the deck?

Inifinite Mana with druid/vizeir to ezuri for a billion on turn 3

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If elves takes off and keeps winning turn 3 druid is going to eat a ban.

Elves is definitely the best Druid deck.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Question Time! I copy Fleecemane Lion with Mirage Mirror then activate the monstrosity ability. The turn ends and it becomes a regular mirror again (with a +1/+1 counter on it, i guess). Next turn I copy Fleecemane again.

Is the mirror still considered Monstrous?

From the Comprehensive Rules (Hour of Devastation (July 8, 2017)) posted:

701.29. Monstrosity
701.29a “Monstrosity N” means “If this permanent isn’t monstrous, put N +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.”
701.29b Monstrous is a designation that has no rules meaning other than to act as a marker that the monstrosity action and other spells and abilities can identify. Only permanents can be or become monstrous. Once a permanent becomes monstrous, it stays monstrous until it leaves the battlefield. Monstrous is neither an ability nor part of the permanent’s copiable values.
701.29c If a permanent’s ability instructs a player to “monstrosity X,” other abilities of that permanent may also refer to X. The value of X in those abilities is equal to the value of X as that permanent became monstrous.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Elves is definitely the best Druid deck.

It really is. Much better than an abzan shell

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Merriam won on T3 and T4 lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cool, thanks

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

This elves list has been around for a while but no one cared until it got on camera on SCG. Even when Martin Juza top 16'd a GP with it in Europe a while ago no one cared. (I just hope it doesn't get banned because I play this list minus the horizon canopies)

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

mcmagic posted:

For every time Surgical is great, it's horrible 5 times. I've stopped playing it.

Bonus posted:

Same. Most often you just wish you hadn't drew it. Even when I'm using it to extract a snapcaster or eternal witness target, it's still just a 1-for-1. And when I've tried it in the ET mirror, I saw that when you use it to surgical out a tron piece, you actually go down a card and sacrifice a land, they still keep the same number of lands and next turn they're playing a TKS off of a temple anyway.

I still like it as a meta call if your meta has a lot of dredge, when it hits amalgams it's really good.

I like surgical against very specific decks where if you pull a problematic card from their deck then you can win without an issue. Lantern control if you nail the bridge. Great against dredge too if you nail the recurring threats like Bonus stated.

I do feel people bring it against too much stuff and it ends up being terrible 90% but then it wins the game that other bit and they end up siding it in more. A dude at the shop I play at brings 3 in to every matchup post board and always goes for these dumb "gotcha!" type moves like surgical targeting fetches that always just result in their opponent shrugging and then the loss of two life ends up costing them the game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I won the RUG Delver mirror once after getting my Trops Surgical'd.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dehtraen posted:

I like surgical against very specific decks where if you pull a problematic card from their deck then you can win without an issue. Lantern control if you nail the bridge. Great against dredge too if you nail the recurring threats like Bonus stated.

I do feel people bring it against too much stuff and it ends up being terrible 90% but then it wins the game that other bit and they end up siding it in more. A dude at the shop I play at brings 3 in to every matchup post board and always goes for these dumb "gotcha!" type moves like surgical targeting fetches that always just result in their opponent shrugging and then the loss of two life ends up costing them the game.

It's not the two life that makes Surgical bad in most matchups, it's the card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I run Surgicals MB in Mill but they're a lot better in that deck than most for obvious reasons. Plus my meta skews a little more towards combo than average so they are really good in those matchups.

But without a deck that bins a lot of the opponent's cards, I don't know if they're that great. If you don't want someone to use cards in their graveyard then a nuclear option like RIP or Relic seems better.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Elyv posted:

Yes, but my point was in the instance of this dude surgical-ing stuff to put him dead to a top decked bolt, pump spell, or haste creature

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I started playing magic just after Christmas this year, just drafts at the local store until they switched to playing Standard and I didn't want to shell out on a deck so fell away from it. I've decided if I cut back my smoking I'll get a budget deck, especially with the FNM and Saturday Standard play options at the local store. I do like messing around with ideas, and I managed to come up with a very bad version of the Black Green decks with Winding Constrictor on my own earlier this year. My approach to deck building is look for dual colour cards, and see if there's any abilities I can build around, while avoiding the expensive decks/cards I see in the meta. Also, I'm not sure on how the set rotation works. I think only Kaladesh onwards will be allowed come September, so I'm trying to keep that in mind and not work on something that'll be outdated in a month.

With that in mind I came up with this last night (my first attempt at a deck since January.) It's based off Aven Wind Guide buffing the token creatures and cards setting off fabricate, but it's not very good, too reliant on one or two synergies coming off, and far too delicate. I've played with it a few times on XMage. I've never won a best of three, lost two 2-0, lost one 2-1 because I timed out in the decider, but I did manage to make two people rage quit (or what I have to believe is a rage quit after I got them down to 2 or so life, with me untouched.) Also, I'm not too sure how much support Fabricate will continue to have from newer cards, or even if it works in the Blue/White strategy.

This is meant to be a cheap deck, with only the Angel of Invention being an expensive card, and that's solely because I have one in my collection from a draft so despite proper thrifty logic going against me, it doesn't seem as bad to buy three more of them.

Deck: Flying Tokens Buff And Wipe

//Main
4 Countless Gears Renegade
4 Aven Wind Guide
4 Censor
4 Hieroglyphic Illumination
4 Desert of the Mindful
4 Desert of the True
7 Island
9 Plains
4 Angel of Invention
4 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
4 Master Trinketeer
4 Servo Exhibition
4 Visionary Augmenter

Display deck statistics

Deck: Flying Tokens Buff And Wipe

My thoughts on it are that the Cogworker's Puzzlenot is far too expensive with the end result of 4CMC for two 1/1 creature tokens. The Countless Gears Renegade is a bog standard 2/2 and it's Revolt doesn't come into play unless I'm lucky, or happen to get a Cogworker's Puzzlenot sacrifice, but after these two cards I couldn't find many cheap fabricate cards, which is the whole idea behind the deck. The Censor is helpful at the beginning of the game, but with hand draws it's not guaranteed (and my own decision making on when to use and when to keep back mana) and it isn't as helpful when the opponent has built up a manabase. From the games I've played 2/2 token creatures, the 2/3 Aven Wind Guide and 2/1 Angel of Invention are incredibly delicate, and have been cleared by abilities doing -2/-2 to all creatures, as well as things that wipe permanents (there's some Planeswalker I've encountered that wipes all permanents or creatures.) With all that, this deck for me is about building up to an overwhelming, potentially flying creature base. With there being so many steps in the chain it's really easy for it to get interrupted, or one element destroyed and the whole thing crashes down, especially as the game progresses and people realise they need to take out my Aven Wind Guide. Against aggro, I'm not too sure it's fast enough, especially given I need to be chump blocking not allowing me to build towards lots of flying 2/2 creature tokens. Against control it's too easy for a progression in the build up to fail. I'm not even sure exactly what combo is. Also, I have no idea what to do for a sideboard given I don't have enough experience playing to know what I'm up against, and I'll need a deck before I can sit down in real life and ask someone why their deck ran roughshod over me.

The only thing that's keeping me thinking about it are the rage quits. It's not going to be a well known deck because it's not going to win consistently, but if I can annoy a few people with an unexpected loss for them, and win the odd game or two myself it might be enough to keep me going with it, especially given the lower cost. So goons, tell me am I being stubborn, just accept that people quitting is a thing, not a sign I'm annoying them, and really I should just dump this deck, or is there something I'm overlooking and this has the potential to annoy my fair share of people for half a year or so? (Which is all I'm really looking for, knowing something I had a hand in unbalanced someone's chakras.)

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Dehtraen posted:

I use surgical as a singleton in the sideboard. I get to tap out a lot more and interrupt combos unexpectedly and I get to see their hand too boot (which I never get to do as U/W control). The info is just as useful as the exile sometimes.

Anything more than a singleton is risking it being terrible and sit in hand or as a lovely topdeck

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Modern as finally become legacy.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mrenda posted:

The only thing that's keeping me thinking about it are the rage quits. It's not going to be a well known deck because it's not going to win consistently, but if I can annoy a few people with an unexpected loss for them, and win the odd game or two myself it might be enough to keep me going with it, especially given the lower cost. So goons, tell me am I being stubborn, just accept that people quitting is a thing, not a sign I'm annoying them, and really I should just dump this deck, or is there something I'm overlooking and this has the potential to annoy my fair share of people for half a year or so? (Which is all I'm really looking for, knowing something I had a hand in unbalanced someone's chakras.)

people on xmage/cockatrice are huge babies, theyll ragequit over anything. opponents deck is too good, opponents deck is too bad, mana screw, etc, etc. in general people in person are much more polite and social. every store is different though, ive heard some horror stories. if the drafts were chill then youll probably be fine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elyv posted:

Surgical as cool and good. One guy wasted my underground sea once and tried to surgical it when I was playing doomsday. I wasted his volcanic island in return and misdirected the surgical to that.

Worked out well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mrenda posted:

It's much easier to be a shithead online than it is in person. In this thread you're also more likely to hear about the one time in ten that someone had a bad experience playing against a grog than the other nine times that they played against a totally normal person. That same person who ragequit against you online is far less likely to ragequit in an in-person match (but sadly it's not a guarantee!)

E: Plus online you can quit out of a match that you know isn't going to go your way and be back in another match very quickly, whereas if you scoop two minutes into a 50-minute round at a store you're just kind of sitting around awkwardly until the next round fires.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 14, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Storm OP. Ban Baral.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Storm OP. Ban Baral.

James punted in game 2, but maybe he didn't know that Storm sometimes plays blood moons? Should have fetched 1 or more basic.

This version of storm ran really hot too, some really amazing cards and draws.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yuzenn posted:

James punted in game 2, but maybe he didn't know that Storm sometimes plays blood moons? Should have fetched 1 or more basic.

they had each other's deck lists

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

C-Euro posted:

It's much easier to be a shithead online than it is in person. In this thread you're also more likely to hear about the one time in ten that someone had a bad experience playing against a grog than the other nine times that they played against a totally normal person. That same person who ragequit against you online is far less likely to ragequit in an in-person match (but sadly it's not a guarantee!)

E: Plus online you can quit out of a match that you know isn't going to go your way and be back in another match very quickly, whereas if you scoop two minutes into a 50-minute round at a store you're just kind of sitting around awkwardly until the next round fires.

From the three or four drafts I did at the start of the year people didn't seem like arseholes, rather typically gawky, college student nerds, and even a few primary school kids. I don't expect anyone to ragequit in real life, the place I go to is far too small for that type of ego to build up, from what I can see. I'm more talking about making a deck that blindsides one or two people in a tournament and has an annoyance factor purely because it's not typical.

Even with current Standard's decks being more affordable it's still too expensive for me, especially as I'm not huge into magic and go through spurts of engagement. I'm just looking for a cheap deck, that's fun to play, that I have some part in coming up with, and could blindside a few people; ragequitters online, maybe, and in real life a few people who aren't prepared for what I do, or just didn't expect it because it's not a big deal deck. I don't expect to be winning any big games, but if after going 0-1 or 0-2 I could pull out my own win or two in the bottom of the tournament, I'd be happy with that.

I figure following pretty much any online posted deck to a t is going to be more expensive, and I do like the idea of having some part to play in the idea behind it, even if it's only eking out one or two wins with it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Almost everyone I've played against in person at a LGS has been decent or outright fun to play against. I've played against a lot of assholes on mtgo, people are much cooler in shops but some of them smell like poo poo or come to events sick.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TwistedNails posted:

Almost everyone I've played against in person at a LGS has been decent or outright fun to play against. I've played against a lot of assholes on mtgo, people are much cooler in shops but some of them smell like poo poo or come to events sick.

don't forget the most insidious form of toxicity: people who will tell you about all their commander decks unprompted

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 14, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Storm OP. Ban Baral.

I agree. Let's ban 5 more cards because of Empty the Warrens and Grapeshot.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

little munchkin posted:

don't forget the most insidious form of toxicity: people who will tell you about all their commander decks prompted

As long as they aren't talking about Dr. Who or comic books I'm good. Commander isn't that bad, most of the annoying people who rave about that format here only play it so they don't even go to other events like Modern or Standard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Edgar Markov was a mistake.

I'm waiting for Ilaxan's common sheet to leak so I have more 1 and 2 drop vampires.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Edgar Markov was a mistake.

I'm waiting for Ilaxan's common sheet to leak so I have more 1 and 2 drop vampires.

Hopefully can snag that vampire precon for retail, the others don't interest me at all but whatevs

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I prebought Mathas and eagerly await putting together Mardu Curses EDH or something equally dumb.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Yuzenn posted:

they had each other's deck lists

Not 100% sure what the line should have been but "hope they don't have it" seems like a strong gameplan for James. If he fetches up two basics and the opponent has blood moon, he's at 16 and the rest of his fetches are turned off. At which point he's trying to outrace a storm player with one black mana and one blue mana per turn, and any death's shadows are dead cards since storm is not going to change your life total unless they're killing you. Tasigur/Angler are pretty bad in that spot as well, since you're limited on how many spells you can cast per turn, you can't fetch, and on top of that it requires your one black mana. That's an awful position.

Playing around moon fucks up your tempo for the rest of the game, and if they do have it then you probably still lose. Don't play around a card you're unlikely to beat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i wasn't really saying he made the wrong play or anything, just that he would have known Blood Moon was a possibility

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

i wasn't really saying he made the wrong play or anything, just that he would have known Blood Moon was a possibility

as a poster in the mtg thread I am obligated to disagree with you, regardless of what your opinion is

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Not 100% sure what the line should have been but "hope they don't have it" seems like a strong gameplan for James. If he fetches up two basics and the opponent has blood moon, he's at 16 and the rest of his fetches are turned off. At which point he's trying to outrace a storm player with one black mana and one blue mana per turn, and any death's shadows are dead cards since storm is not going to change your life total unless they're killing you. Tasigur/Angler are pretty bad in that spot as well, since you're limited on how many spells you can cast per turn, you can't fetch, and on top of that it requires your one black mana. That's an awful position.

Playing around moon fucks up your tempo for the rest of the game, and if they do have it then you probably still lose. Don't play around a card you're unlikely to beat.

I get that, but not playing around blood moon means you don't play any magic.

He could have gotten 1 swamp 1 island and at least have a stubborn denial and delve threat theoretically.

It may just be a round he wasn't going to win anyway, but the blood moon was rough.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not worth playing around cards you can't beat anyway. If you can't beat Blood Moon regardless (because you won't be able to present a fast enough clock and enough disruption with such a limited amount of coloured mana), it's better to just assume they don't have it and maximise your odds of winning in that case.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

I agree. Let's ban 5 more cards because of Empty the Warrens and Grapeshot.

Agreed, at least serum visions, thought scour, and sleight of hand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Agreed, at least serum visions, thought scour, and sleight of hand.

Manamorphose and Gifts are easy cuts too. And Pyretic and Desperate Ritual are on watch! Remand better watch itself too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ban Serum Visions so no one has to put that card in their deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Unban all Magic cards. Ban all Magic players.