Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

some guy on the bus posted:

I don't know why D&D just wouldn't give the show to someone else, like Dave Hill. Shows change show runners some time. Walking Dead and Dexter did that. Give the show to someone who wants it.

It's possible that one of the terms of the adaptation added by GRRM would be that D&D would be the only showrunners, because he trusts them. Or at least did at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm really confused. I feel like I just watched two episodes of this show and things.... happened?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm really confused. I feel like I just watched two episodes of this show and things.... happened?

Now that the end is in sight they have to actually do things with the episodes instead of wasting entire seasons hoping gurm finishes a new book.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Bran dies after zombie hodor strangles him for years of abuse, right

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I like to think that Bran is using the Three Eyed Raven just to be a very efficient troll.

Like yeah, I get it, he couldn't write in that letter that Jon was a secret Targ cause Varys would peek it, but couldn't he have added:

"P.S I know it doesn't make sense right now, but trust me, if you eventually get the urge to bone Daenerys, please don't do it".

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Why did Jorah and thoros dislike each other? Or did thoros insult gendry during that sequence?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What shall you name your two sons, my lord?

This pudgy one looks like a Sam to me.

Very good sir if I do say so, and the other son?

Dickon.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
A headscratcher to me is what the hell does the show intend Cersei's character to be now?

First seasons based on the books and a bit beyond that had her be loud and annoying and an idiot who couldn't see two feet ahead of her nose.

Now she is a master tactician, going so far as to knowing that the one person she hates most in the whole wide world is walking right in the palm of her hands...and she lets him leave cause it may prove favorable for winning the war.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

LinYutang posted:

Why did Jorah and thoros dislike each other?

They're buddies from the battle at Pike.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

A headscratcher to me is what the hell does the show intend Cersei's character to be now?

First seasons based on the books and a bit beyond that had her be loud and annoying and an idiot who couldn't see two feet ahead of her nose.

Now she is a master tactician, going so far as to knowing that the one person she hates most in the whole wide world is walking right in the palm of her hands...and she lets him leave cause it may prove favorable for winning the war.

Master tactician, more like a delusional idiot who got an entire army burned alive by dragons while all the food her city needs also got burned, and the enemy's maneuver forces control the entire countryside.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cersei is basically a psychotic despot at this point. Killing your opposition, being consumed by hatred and engaging in blatant lunacy isn't "like a fox" stuff.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So the Night King is actually the protagonist in GoT, right?

'Cause right now I'm thinking all these motherfuckers deserve to get killed, with possible exceptions for Gendry, Bronn and Davos.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Then if you can all agree that she is a screaming idiot, why did she let Tyrion leave the city?

grack posted:

'Cause right now I'm thinking all these motherfuckers deserve to get killed, with possible exceptions for Gendry, Bronn and Davos.

Tormund and Hot Pie are cool :(

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That dragon CGI lookin like a Planet Earth episode.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Jon's conversation with Gendry might be the first normal conversation he has had this season.

Like literally every other scene he has been in he has been delivering world of cardboard speeches left and right. We get. He is troubled and brooding and angsty and carries the burden of command and blabla. Dial it back a notch.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The dargon fight was good but I feel like with so few episodes left there should be less talk and more violence.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

lezard_valeth posted:

Jon's conversation with Gendry might be the first normal conversation he has had this season.

They're gonna gently caress.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Wizgot posted:

They're gonna gently caress.

I can get behind that.

Only replace Jon with Dickon.

Baby's gonna have the strongest biggest guns in all Westeros.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jon and Gendry being BFFs like their dads would own.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope this happens as the path of least resistance rather than DND going "imagine if... they were enemies omg out of nowhere!"

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What were Beric and friends planning on going over the wall to do originally before being caught?

Also Gendry commenting on Jons sword means he's going to end up blacksmithing Valyrian steel in some way

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 14, 2017

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole
I was sad that the dothraki forgot all about Jorah :(

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

How does Walking Dead handle it? They're on Season 8, there's 16 episodes a season, and there's no end in sight.

They're actually within 1 season of catching up to all the comic content so an end may be in sight? Who knows.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 14, 2017

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

grack posted:

So the Night King is actually the protagonist in GoT, right?

I've been thinking this for a while.

I really like the theory that Bran is the Night King.

And then after Cersei scheming in this episode when she hears Dany wants to meet, it made me think even more is going to come down to Cersei vs Bran/Night King with the Night King winning and this being the bittersweet ending GRRM is saying there is going to be.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

They're really rushing through plot points. It's been happening for a couple seasons I guess but it never hit me until now; that episode felt like it was running at 1.5x normal speed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

And Arya marrying Gendry. Hmm sounds familiar

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

loosenukes posted:

I was sad that the dothraki forgot all about Jorah :(

Didn't all of Dany's original blood rider's from Drogo's Khalasar die and these are new dudes she recruited from her burning the building down gambit last season?

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

BoonyPC posted:

And then after Cersei scheming in this episode when she hears Dany wants to meet, it made me think even more is going to come down to Cersei vs Bran/Night King with the Night King winning and this being the bittersweet ending GRRM is saying there is going to be.

GRRM said the bittersweet ending he was going for was like LotR- where the heroes defeated Sauron's forces and destroyed the one ring, but everyone sailed away to the west to the Undying Lands at the end.

GRRM's version of that is Westeros will win the war with the White Walkers, but lots of people are going to die and a good portion of the kingdoms will be devastated, possibly including Winterfell and down into the Vale and Riverlands. But as a whole Westeros will rebuild and continue on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

And Arya marrying Gendry. Hmm sounds familiar

Gendry gonna marry Sansa. Arya will kill her over it.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

god dammit randyll and dickon could've been so loving useful at the wall

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Ragnarok the Red posted:

GRRM said the bittersweet ending he was going for was like LotR- where the heroes defeated Sauron's forces and destroyed the one ring, but everyone sailed away to the west to the Undying Lands at the end.

GRRM's version of that is Westeros will win the war with the White Walkers, but lots of people are going to die and a good portion of the kingdoms will be devastated, possibly including Winterfell and down into the Vale and Riverlands. But as a whole Westeros will rebuild and continue on.

Well, we already lost two "houses" (is that what you call them?) this season.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
So, we finally get to see Eastwatch. It's up on a cliff and has no dock, and there apparently were no Night's Watch dudes left, only wildlings. Should have introduced it last season with LF taking a ship and meeting Sansa there instead of travelling overland through Bolton-controlled land and meeting her in the ruins of Moletown.

Also, shouldn't Davos grab his money back?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 14, 2017

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Cornflakes posted:

god dammit randyll and dickon could've been so loving useful at the wall

Dickon probably thought he was impressing his father but he really didnt

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's the deal with Daenerys refusing to take prisoners anyway? Is it related to her hatred of slavery like they imply with the line "I'm not here to put people in chains"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Got to say, this show knows how to do fanservice right sometimes. That loving boy band walking out into the cold was beautiful. I still can't believe Gendry is back, even after being fully spoiled on everything forever. Rhaegar getting second fiddle to someone's shits was the best ever.

Kopijeger posted:

So, we finally get to see Eastwatch. It's up on a cliff and has no dock, and there apparently were no Night's Watch dudes left, only wildlings. Should have introduced it last season with LF taking a ship and meeting Sansa there instead of travelling overland through Bolton-controlled land and meeting her in the ruins of Moletown.

Also, shouldn't Davos grab his money back?

I was drunk and literally came to this thread to ask what Eastwatch looked like because I couldn't remember. Alsoalso yes take your money gosh.

This episode impressed me. Got far more Dragon than I thought we'd get. Dany's sermon on the hill was pretty good. I think reading the plot outline of these terrible episodes helps appreciate the production a heck of a lot more.

sanko
Sep 11, 2001
Lies.

Like Gendry's dad killed Jon's with a warhammer? The budding bromance was still cool, Jon Snow needs a friend

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

sanko posted:

Like Gendry's dad killed Jon's with a warhammer? The budding bromance was still cool, Jon Snow needs a friend

You know what he means. Ned was his dad.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

JBP posted:

You know what he means. Ned was his dad.

This is true, no matter what R plus L equals.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Idgi - why would Cersei be unbeatable if Dany and her army went with Jon to win the war in the North first? Wasn't that the strategy of the greatest strategic mind in Westeros (Stannis) to proof in the North he is the true protector of the realm?

And if you have a way to infiltrate the Red Keep, why send in the dwarf and not a small commando of elite fighters to take out Cersei and end the war right there?

But the best scene of the episode was clearly when Jerome Flynn said "might as well jump into the river" when talking about Cersei, given the fact that they can't be in a scene together because Lena Heady hates him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
This episode was terrible writing. Also lol at the spoilers

• Locked thread