Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Which if the internet has taught me anything, is something to do with ponies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Tonight I noticed that if John Cena lost the majority of his muscle mass, he would look like James (who was always cool).

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cole's phone wasn't plugged in for his call to Lucy. What could this mean?!

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but the phone wasn't unplugged. Hotel phones usually have a "data" port on the side that a business/80's time traveler could use to connect a modem or portable fax machine without having to reach down and unplug the phone from the wall. They're basically useless now but almost every hotel phone I've used recently still has one.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Fantastic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OB_Juan posted:

From facebook:

:perfect:

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

I thought she said "A Tulpa".

She definitely did.

And the shouting FBI guy was Stan the Man from Mad Men, who's great, and I hope he shows up again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

It's still neat that Coop went through the outlet during episode 3 and the eyeless woman went through it on episode 15.

this was episode 14

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I suck at memes. Can someone who is good combine Freddie with Fred Savage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AacoxHFYvZw
thanks.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
From what I've read, the "tulpa" thing is super Mark Frosty. In the 1800s there was a female French explorer named Alexandra David-Néel, who wrote about Tibetan Buddhist practices in a book called With Mystics and Magicians in Tibet. This old source seems to be where the more recent internet trend of "tulpamancers" creating imaginary friends comes from, and where the paranormal archetype of an "imaginary friend going berserk" comes from. As far as I can tell, it's a book that completely misses the point of vajrayana visualization practices, but makes for great fodder for supernatural thrillers.

quote:

I could hardly deny the possibility of visualizing and animating a tulpa. Besides having had few opportunities of seeing thought-forms, my habitual incredulity led me to make experiments for myself, and my efforts were attended with some success. In order to avoid being influenced by the forms of the lamaist deities, which I saw daily around me in paintings and images, I chose for my experiment a most insignificant character: a monk, short and fat, of an innocent and jolly type.

I shut myself in tsams and proceeded to perform the prescribed concentration of thought and other rites. After a few months the phantom monk was formed. His form grew gradually fixed and life-like looking. He became a kind of guest, living in my apartment. I then broke my seclusion and started for a tour, with my servants and tents.

The monk included himself in the party. Though I lived in the open riding on horseback for miles each day, the illusion persisted. I saw the fat trapa, now and then it was not necessary for me to think of him to make him appear. The phantom performed various actions of the kind that are natural to travellers and that I had not commanded. For instance, he walked, stopped, looked around him. The illusion was mostly visual, but sometimes I felt as if a robe was lightly rubbing against me and once a hand seemed to touch my shoulder.

The features which I had imagined, when building my phantom, gradually underwent a change. The fat, chubby-cheeked fellow grew leaner, his face assumed a vaguely mocking, sly, malignant look. He became more troublesome and bold. In brief, he escaped my control.

Once, a herdsman who brought me a present of butter saw the tulpa in my tent and took it for a live lama.

I ought to have let the phenomenon follow its course, but the presence of that unwanted companion began to prove trying to my nerves; it turned into a “daynightmare.” Moreover, I was beginning to plan my journey to Lhasa and needed a quiet brain devoid of other preoccupations, so I decided to dissolve the phantom. I succeeded, but only after six months of hard struggle. My mind-creature was tenacious of life.

This reminds me a lot of the way that MIKE and the Evolution of the Arm interact with Dougie, appearing to him somewhere between actually existing and only existing in his mind's eye.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Cephas posted:

This reminds me a lot of the way that MIKE and the Evolution of the Arm interact with Dougie, appearing to him somewhere between actually existing and only existing in his mind's eye.

So, in a way, when MIKE helps Cooper, it's his way of saying "mea tulpa". :downsrim:

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground

And More posted:

So, in a way, when MIKE helps Cooper, it's his way of saying "mea tulpa". :downsrim:

Thanks, now we have to cancel Twin Peaks because this pun will not stand.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
andy is very booper

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
complete with solving poo poo by total accident and being 'tarded

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Baloogan posted:

complete with solving poo poo by total accident and being 'tarded

You mean Dougie, right?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I didn't read the spoilers last week but imagine how insane they must have sounded. Andy visits the White Lodge and takes charge of making the eyeless lady safe. Sarah Palmer pulls her face off and eats a guy in a bar. Some new dude has a rubber glove he can't take off that can smash anything. What the gently caress.

This subtle masterpiece made me laugh out loud.

hepscat fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 14, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

MullardEL34 posted:

You mean Dougie, right?

well, dougie jones went into the waiting room and turned into a little sphere

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Since James is still presumably a Bookhouse Boy, do you think that his reason to ask Freddy about his glove and super-strength was because he already realized that Freddy was special and wanted confirmation?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Amazing episode, but the FBI guy in Vegas just screaming at his assistant absolutely loving killed me. :xd:

loving incredible.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Never in a million years would I have ever began to predict that Sarah Palmer was a Junji Ito. :suspense:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
wowee

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/XkyQZcX.jpg :nws:

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Only issue I had with the episode is Tammy is the worst. Just the worst. She walks pretty, but other than that she sucks the life out of absolutely any scene. Does her actress not speak English? Because it seems sort of like she's saying the words but thats about it.

i think shes a musician or something?
i agree tho shes real bad

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

She's BFFs with Lynch, that's why he put her in the show.

And she's from Texas so she should know English.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
having her act across from albert is a pain
i really hope we see more of the mortician

god drat u albert why did you have to die...

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

She's BFFs with Lynch, that's why he put her in the show.

And she's from Texas so she should know English.

when she was acting opposite albert it was like she was looking past him it was real goofy

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

also was that lady in the jail cell who fell outta lsd land doin echo location or something

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Turdfuzz posted:

also was that lady in the jail cell who fell outta lsd land doin echo location or something

I think that was a homage to the first episode of twin peaks when bobby and james and shark (or whatever his name was) were in, i guess, the same jail barking at each other.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Baloogan posted:

god drat u albert why did you have to die...

smokin

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

also alberts actor is related to george clooney
i did not know this

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Baloogan posted:

I think that was a homage to the first episode of twin peaks when bobby and james and shark (or whatever his name was) were in, i guess, the same jail barking at each other.

idr this at all

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Turdfuzz posted:

idr this at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUm6YvNm5dg

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
one of the last scenes in the pilot, right before sarah palmer screams and we catch a glimpse of BOB in a mirror

p much the first scene in twin peaks that says "this poo poo is weird yo"

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Turdfuzz posted:

when she was acting opposite albert it was like she was looking past him it was real goofy

There is something really wrong with Tammy, and it's not just the actress. The entire time Albert was talking to her, she was sitting like this:

Is she trying to form a question mark or something? I mean, that can't be comfortable. Maybe it's like someone suggested and she is actually, literally a snake person.

Baloogan posted:

one of the last scenes in the pilot, right before sarah palmer screams and we catch a glimpse of BOB in a mirror

p much the first scene in twin peaks that says "this poo poo is weird yo"

Yeah, the scene definitely reminded me of this. So, is Chad our new James?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm beginning to wonder if tammy is gonna open her face up too at some point

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Yeah, the scene definitely reminded me of this. So, is Chad our new James?
James has always made me laugh because of how loving melodramatic he is. Chad just makes me want to punch him in the face and the nuts every time he’s on screen. God, what an intolerable douchebag.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
how did the twin peaks team figure out chad was bad ?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Baloogan posted:

how did the twin peaks team figure out chad was bad ?
They said they had his phone tapped for months.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

James was always cool

with dating women who weren't single

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

James has always made me laugh because of how loving melodramatic he is. Chad just makes me want to punch him in the face and the nuts every time he’s on screen. God, what an intolerable douchebag.

It's true, Chad is exceedingly punchable.

Truman didn't get that specific. He just said they'd been watching him. Presumably, Lucy found the letter Chad tried to get rid of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

wait really? when?