Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hate olives. I've tried them so many times thinking that maybe this type is gonna be the ones I like, but I've hated them all. Even these weird expensive ones from Greece that my ex served me when she cooked me this crazy lavish anniversary dinner. The only thing I can stand olives in are dirty martinis. And even then I ask not to have an actual olive in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you tried marinated olives? You can get some fancy ones that are infused with garlic and olive oil. You could marinate poo poo in that and it would taste good.

I don't think the normal brined kind have universal appeal. It's like a salt lick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you tried marinated olives? You can get some fancy ones that are infused with garlic and olive oil. You could marinate poo poo in that and it would taste good.

I don't think the normal brined kind have universal appeal. It's like a salt lick.

Why not just eat garlic and olive oil?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Yup I tried a garlic stuffed olive. I think it's probably the texture more than anything that does it for me.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Olives are great and capers are even better.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only capers I enjoy are the ones that involve a ragtag group of ex-cons that all have one specialty coming together to steal a priceless work of art from a villainous rich guy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only thing worse than olives are pickles.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i can not believe the blasphemy i am hearing in this thread. shame on you for having different opinions. i love pickles and olives

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Pickles are good, never understood olives except for their precious oil

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I hate pickles but love pickled okra I am an enigma

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Pickles are a good time, man. The hell.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Well this isn't the post your widely held opinion man, that's what the hell

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
it's weird to call Cracker barrel a restaurant. It's a fast food chain, their processed garbage barely counts as food. I understand it is common in the United States to call these chain places restaurants, because apparently you don't know better, but it's wrong and stupid.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
dont make me get my whuppin stick

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

anchorpunch posted:

it's weird to call Cracker barrel a restaurant. It's a fast food chain, their processed garbage barely counts as food. I understand it is common in the United States to call these chain places restaurants, because apparently you don't know better, but it's wrong and stupid.

Ah, you must be from that country that doesn't have garbage chain restaurants. You know the one, it's uhhh...

uhhh...

Namibia?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ah, you must be from that country that doesn't have garbage chain restaurants. You know the one, it's uhhh...

uhhh...

Namibia?

I can say without a doubt that Windhoek has the absolute worst sushi chains and escape from Nandos is impossible

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Turtlicious posted:

If there is any food you refuse to eat regardless the preparation you are a child.
If you don't like a particular food and so you don't buy it or actively choose to eat it, that's perfectly fine. If you're served some food and it contains an ingredient you don't like so you refuse to eat it, you're a child. Like, if you're at someone's house and they offer you a meal containing the thing you don't like, just eat it you baby. It's not going to kill you.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I have an uncontrollable gag reflex to most sea food except sea weed. I cannot help it, as much as I want to. I get offered a lot of seafood when I'm back at old country. I have to politely decline, because if I try their sea food, I will likely gag in front of them and might even vomit.

I have no problem with the idea of sea food. I envy people who enjoy it, because they look like they really enjoy it. For whatever reason, my body won't let me be near it without an impolite reaction.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

I hate pickles but love pickled okra I am an enigma

You're a misery wrapped in an enema.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anchorpunch posted:

If you wan't unprocessed food, pull up a parsnip from the side of the road and eat without washing.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The ACLU deserves at least some of the blame for everything that happened in Charlottesville. They supported a group of violent white supremacist who are directly responsible for one death and multiple severe injuries, that blood is on their hands.

Th3D0Nn
Jul 22, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You are conflating the current situation with Hitler just to try and do an own on me but it doesn't fit at all. Trump may be an idiot but he's not a nazi, nor is anyone (except maybe bannon) in the government. This was a bunch of internet kids playing pretend and one guy taking it too far and committing a terrorist act which he will rightfully spend the rest of his life in prison for. What do you want from me? All I'm asking is that the law be applied to everyone equally.

Sebastian v. Gorka I can name off hand, and it isn't like he went out of his way to even hide it, though he does deny it *wink
Trump associates with Nazis has Nazis on his staff and his win can be partially attributed to the votes and fervor of Nazis.

I don't think the fact the torches were purchased at Walmart is relevant, saying the problem will just go away if the Facist are faced with consequences while calling for the people who want them held responsible to be quite just doesn't make sense. That they should be able to speak their mind and assemble unobstructed or unchallenged is a ridiculous notion that will only embolden their cause. I know Yeah I eat rear end hasn't said all those things, but listening to car radio with my dad over the weekend, those ideas definitely came up from the traditional right and center.

I don't think that punching Nazis is wrong, it may be illegal, but I don't think it is wrong. They are two different concepts. Anyone who punches a Nazi should be prepared for the consequences, doesn't mean I don't think they should use the law and sympathetic juries to get the lightest of sentences or acquitted, but they shouldn't expect to be able to do that without the threat of legal action.

The counter protesters are dumb for throwing bottles or whatever it was reported they threw. ACLU has protected peoples lawful ability to peacefully assemble and demonstrate, they are not wrong for defending that right whether it be KKK or the 99%. Both sides had a right to be there, but as soon as threatening action or violence occurred that group should have been ordered to disperse, they were no longer lawfully assembled. (a clear and present danger, is I believe the legal bar for intervention)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's good that the ACLU defends nazis. Giving the government greater power to decide which ideas are allowable is incredibly dangerous.

Nazis shouldn't be barred from marching by the government, they should be too afraid of getting the poo poo kicked out of them to march

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's good that the ACLU defends nazis. Giving the government greater power to decide which ideas are allowable is incredibly dangerous.

Nazis shouldn't be barred from marching by the government, they should be too afraid of getting the poo poo kicked out of them to march

Yeah. Also it's been funny watching people only just now come to the realization that the ACLU does that. It sucks but the alternative is even worse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have seen some stuff in the last few years where people on the Internet who I would have thought were on the left were proclaiming themselves to be "anti-free speech". Where has all that come from?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have seen some stuff in the last few years where people on the Internet who I would have thought were on the left were proclaiming themselves to be "anti-free speech". Where has all that come from?

I've never seen that but I imagine it's a reaction to right wing nutjobs who call themselves free speech crusaders

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It stems from people who doesn't really get the following opinion;

Tolerance doesn't encompass being tolerant of bigotry, and it is a common misconception that this should be the case. Legalization that serves to protect minority-rights, can't meaningfully encompass the protection of ideology that serves to subjugate people based on race.

Minority rights are important, but all minority rights should not be considered equal. When minority rights are in direct opposition, the answer is not to treat them as being equally valid of protection, but to recognize that conviction-based minority demographics, such as religious and political minorities, should always be prioritized second to minority rights grounded in race, gender and sexuality. Any belief-system, whether political or religious, that does not respect equality between race, gender and sexuality, can not be meaningfully encompassed and protected by minority-rights legalization itself.

When the purpose and value of freedom of speech is interpreted as a "free for all" where everything goes; then that is a misinterpretation that hollows out the purpose of freedom of speech protecting minorities. Someone who identified as a Nazi does belong to a political minority, but that freedom of speech should seek to ensure a free-for-all playing field between a Nazi and a someone expressing their sexuality as a homosexual, or someone belonging to a certain race, is such a fundamental misunderstanding of the point of minority-right protection that it is absurd.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Look guys all I'm saying is I believe in free speech even when it's difficult to defend, heck especially then!

*awkwardly hides all the racial slurs I really want to say behind my back*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose it's not altogether different from when the ACLU (and CAIR and the SPLC and many other civil rights organisations, and also Facebook) are accused of being terrorist sympathisers when they defend radical Islamists or whatever. I'm not really familiar with the details and nuances of it. :shrug:

Edit: For example, I did some looking and just last month some people were demanding the disbanding of the ACLU for being a "pitbull for Islamists" (as the first respondent to the original tweet describes them), so I don't know what to make of the whole thing. As a lawyer, I suppose it's a question of precedents.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Aug 14, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some people think that some ideas are in themselves a form of violence, and should be banned to protect minorities from that violence. Or that those ideas are fundamentally dangerous to democracy or modern society, so those ideas should be banned just like you'd ban blowing up a polling station. Or those ideas are just really really horrible, and shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Personally, I think that happy people don't become nazis. You don't get large fascist movements without a bunch of people who are dispossessed and left out of society. The long term solution to nazis is to eliminate the situations that allow people to become nazis. The short term solution is to, as Trotsky said, acquaint their head with the pavement.

The current government should be evidence enough why giving the government greater freedom to ban ideas is a really, really bad plan. You want to let Jeff Sessions decide what is and is not hate speech?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
They defend even the bad parts of freedom.

I'd rather stick the Nazis into reeducation camps via direct Government violence.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i hate Mr Blue Sky by the Electric Light Orchestra

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

uhhh...

Namibia?

point being you guys get the termionology wrong.
restaurant: a place where you go to sit down and have a nice meal. a chef prepares actual food from fresh ingredients there. it is not part of a chain.
not a restaurant: a place where lower class people are cheated into wolfing down deep fried fast food garbage.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

anchorpunch posted:

restaurant: a place where you go to sit down and have a nice meal. a chef prepares actual food from fresh ingredients there. it is not part of a chain.
not a restaurant: a place where lower class people are cheated into wolfing down deep fried fast food garbage.

At least in the US unless you live in a big city that type of experience is pretty much nonexistant. There will be plenty of restaurants who claim to use fresh ingredients, but chances are if you actually asked they would pull the famous "well, it was fresh when it was frozen" line.

I don't see the point in making a fuss about calling a place like red lobster a restaurant or not though. This is what adjectives are for: just use good/average/mediocre/lovely restaurant.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Legend of Zelda isn't that fun of a series

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

anchorpunch posted:

The vast majority of restaurants in the entire world get their ingredients from hundreds or thousands of miles away. Sea food is frozen as a matter of course before shipment. The things you think of as "restaurants" are incredibly rare, and typically only found in big cities, and are very expensive.

You don't know anything at all about food distribution, you're just being an ignorant uninformed classist rear end in a top hat.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
no, mcdonalds and the other chains don't do pretty much the same as real restaurants, it's pathetic to believe that. you bought the advertisement lies hook, line, and sinker.
but neither the fact that in the states many people like you are fooled into accepting the corporate newspeak, nor that there are large areas whith little alternative, change that it is wrong and misleading to call them restaurants.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's no such thing as restaurants. They're all just shacks that sling varying degrees of hash.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

anchorpunch posted:

no, mcdonalds and the other chains don't do pretty much the same as real restaurants, it's pathetic to believe that. you bought the advertisement lies hook, line, and sinker.
but neither the fact that in the states many people like you are fooled into accepting the corporate newspeak, nor that there are large areas whith little alternative, change that it is wrong and misleading to call them restaurants.

The advertisement lies being literally the truth about modern worldwide food distribution. You don't know poo poo, dude. You're ignorant as hell but acting like you know anything and it's embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Farm to table restaurants are a niche, they advertise themselves based on the illusion that they are more "authentic" than regular restaurants, but that's just their marketing gimmick. It's like the Rainforest Cafe, except instead of eating in a fake rainforest you get to pretend that you aren't living in a late-stage capitalist hellscape completely alienated from every aspect of life.

I'm afraid it's you, anchorpunch, who have been tricked by advertisement lies, lies far more seductive and pernicious than any commercial for Panera Bread