Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Jagermom delivers again.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Voyager I posted:

If I'm reading the map right, the Jagermech can run forward into minimum range on the Ha Otoko and threaten another Justice Foot while also breaking line of sight to the Stone Rhino.

I do not see any reason for my orders not to be this. Anyone have a cogent counterargument?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

kingcom posted:

lol as if that has ever stopped anyone in battletech, ever.

I'm just saying. This is the Inner Sphere, "is a very good shot" has nothing to do with rank. You give them the Diamond Sunburst or something for that.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 14, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Holy poo poo, Jagerbomb.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Improved targeting doesn't work for secondary targets?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RA Rx posted:

Oh, nice catch.

I guess both the Sagittaire's rear MPLs landed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I had this thread bookmarked for ages but never actually read it because it was so intimidating to get into. With HBS's Battletech on the horizon I needed a battletech fix and started reading....

Hooooly poo poo why have I not been reading this since like 1900 posts ago :psyduck:

Mukaikubo posted:

I do not see any reason for my orders not to be this. Anyone have a cogent counterargument?
No. Do it! Sweep the legs Crush the cockpit.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

Xarbala posted:

Oh, nice catch.

I guess both the Sagittaire's rear MPLs landed.

Nice catch indeed, let's see what PTN says.

Just need one hit on that turret location!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

CourValant posted:

Nice catch indeed, let's see what PTN says.

Just need one hit on that turret location!

Turret location takes up 10-12 from all arcs. As you're firing from the front you'll also destroy the front with any other roll except 5 (right side) and 9 (left side), for a total of 30/36!
Might help the Mauler if he survives the Gargoyle duel, the Epona seems to be running north.

Does Yonit die with the entire crew when the front of his tank disintegrates, just his gunner/driver, or is it just structural?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 14, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yonit will die when his tank does, and not a second earlier.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I had this thread bookmarked for ages but never actually read it because it was so intimidating to get into. With HBS's Battletech on the horizon I needed a battletech fix and started reading....

Hooooly poo poo why have I not been reading this since like 1900 posts ago :psyduck:

You're in for a heck of a binge!

It's daunting remembering how much thread there is, and how long it's been.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RA Rx posted:

Does Yonit die with the entire crew when the front of his tank disintegrates, just his gunner/driver, or is it just structural?

It gets a little too morbid to consider, I think. Yonit is already 'chair bound', based on 'that' update, or at the very least, his limbs don't 'work' in the ways that it should.

I genuinely don't want to imagine a tanker who can't climb out of his burning vehicle, fake stompy robot internet game or otherwise.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Xarbala posted:

Yonit will die when his tank does, and not a second earlier.

He done good.

CourValant posted:

It gets a little too morbid to consider, I think. Yonit is already 'chair bound', based on 'that' update, or at the very least, his limbs don't 'work' in the ways that it should.

'm sure he'll be fine, there's no crit that leaves only the Commander alive, so they'd carry him out and into an even faster vehicle. (I'd say a Savannah Master, but he needs more firepower. Maybe a large aerospace fighter?)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 14, 2017

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

RA Rx posted:

He done good.

'm sure he'll be fine, there's no crit that leaves only the Commander alive, so they'd carry him out and into an even faster vehicle. (I'd say a Savannah Master, but he needs more firepower. Maybe a large aerospace fighter?)

He's a clanner, it would make his day to die here.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

everydayfalls posted:

He's a clanner, it would make his day to die here.

Even if its such a brutal defeat for them? Horses are a practical lot, still, this is turning into 'stricken from the Remembrance' territory, especially if the Mauler takes down the 'Garg', Star Commander Hippity-Hop gets chased off by the Naginata, and the Stone Rhino is proven again to be an unwieldy white elephant?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Stone Rhino seems pretty well suited for this map with its jump jets, but I think it's got some strict behavior objectives controlling it (something like NE area denial and overwatch in case the enemy came that way), which Goonforce has managed to exploit by simply turning it down.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 14, 2017

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Mukaikubo posted:

The naginata may need your help, but aside from that? No argument. I'll give him a short range broadside, too.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
Mauler here, not sure what to do next.

As I see it, I have three priorities:

1) Killing the Gargoyle

2) Getting into position to (maybe??? finally???) start providing fire support to the fight in the south

3) Activating boats

I've come up with a few courses of action, but I'm not sure that any option here is ideal nor that this list is exhaustive.

I could:

a) stand where I am, continue unloading on the Garg and kick it again. Assuming I don't die to its fire, kicking would (I think?) probably put it down.

b) Face the Garg and then back up as far as I can. This gets me moving towards the Southern Lance (if very slowly, which is another potential drawback), and, if I can get outside of 3 hexes, range is finally working in my favor instead of the Garg's. The only thing I'm not sure about is how far I can back up given my heat situation. I still have the MP to back up 3 hexes, but does my heat level reduce the maximum amount I can reverse in a turn?

c) back up into 0710. This would break LOS for this turn and give me some space to sink my heat, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Your thoughts?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Mauler here, not sure what to do next.
Whatever you do, I just want you to know that I think you're a goddamn hero.

If it was me I would stand and deliver, but you're in pretty sore shape so I wouldnt blame you if you decided to back off, so I'm not sure (as an observer) what to say.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Thanks to heat, you can't really maneuver very much. You can only use walking MP to reverse, and you only have 2 walking MP. Facing the garg takes one, and the destroyed mech behind you counts as rough terrain, so entering that hex takes two.

The major problem is that it's still easier for the Garg to kill you than for you to kill it. Thanks to it's facing, you no longer have a guaranteed hit on it's damaged leg with a kick. Both mechs have an open torso with an XL engine, but the Garg has 11 structure left, while you have only 10. And clan ERLLs do 10 damage, while yours only do 8.

You don't have the heat capacity to fire everything again (Well, you do, but you'd risk both shutting down and an ammo explosions to do it).

So, you do have more critseekers from firing just the LRMs and Autocannons, and good to hit numbers since neither of you need to move, so it's entirely possible to luck out, but you probably need multiple hits, while the garg only needs one. On the plus side, it lost the SRM for critseeking on you.

Really, you don't have much of a choice. This is your last best hope to kill it, because it has no move mod and will be able to start jumping again after this turn if it's still alive. You can't really maneuver for any advantage, so just stand and fire everything but 1 ERLL. (That puts you at 10 overheat, bad, but if the Garg is dead, you won't care. And 10 overheat does not risk a shutdown or ammo explosion, it just reduces you to a 1/2 with +1 to gunnery lol.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

The major problem is that it's still easier for the Garg to kill you than for you to kill it. Thanks to it's facing, you no longer have a guaranteed hit on it's damaged leg with a kick. Both mechs have an open torso with an XL engine, but the Garg has 11 structure left, while you have only 10. And clan ERLLs do 10 damage, while yours only do 8.

Damage is standardized this mission. They're both doing 8.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, nice. Well, you have more dice to throw at the Garg than it has to throw at you, and it needing two hits to definitely KO you ups your odds of survival by a ton. Stand and deliver and let the dice fall where they may!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

PTN: Does the Mauler have 10 structure left as in the card, or 8 as in the update text?
Also, the Sagittaire didn't seem to get its -1 bonus for short range aiming for its secondary target.

You have better odds than the Gargoyle if you stand and deliver, it's got almost exactly a one third chance of killing you with weapons fire (31% by head or torso destruction, 2-4% by crits), turns out you've got 10 structure in the LT, so your chance of dying from head or torso destruction and crits is only very roughly around 15%.

Your chance of killing it with regular hit location fire is quite low. I didn't do the math for it, but somewhere below 10%, but you have a sweet 50% chance of sweeping the Gargoyle's leg if it makes any likely massive damage check it has 58,3% to pass, or rounded up to 60% given the chance you might not cause massive damage. Subtracting the 50% chance of sweeping its leg by 15% for surviving to the kick and then subtracting by 40% for the chance it falls yields about 25.5% so you're ahead even after it kicks back. If it falls down you get a 1/3 kill chance to it's head and right torso instead.

However if the RL also falls within range of being kicked off the chance you gain a legcap rises to 51%, even after accounting for fall chance.
I think a slightly riskier strategy to aim low might improve your chances of killing it, as an LL or two 5-point hits to the right leg would yield the 100% chance a kick would kill the Gargoyle if it remains standing...
Edit: But I somehow forgot that 5+ is a whopping 30/36 over the 9+'s 10/36, so it's definitely not worth it to aim low.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 15, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Oh, nice. Well, you have more dice to throw at the Garg than it has to throw at you, and it needing two hits to definitely KO you ups your odds of survival by a ton. Stand and deliver and let the dice fall where they may!

We should just throw actual dice at the Garg, each one is another potential crit if we can lob them in the gaps in the armor. :pseudo:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Tacking on +4 to hit when you already need 5s is an extremely poor tradeoff.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Gwaihir posted:

Viva Miriya posted:

quoting Gwaihir

Edit 3: Somehow managed to forget that 5+ is 5/6ths and three times as likely to hit over the 9+'s 10/36, meaning the shots from the former are more likely to hit the legs at 8*3/36 over 18/36.

Best of luck whatever you do Kickass Harpsichord, it's been great watching you hold a thunderdome in the rear! :black101:

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 15, 2017

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

RA Rx posted:

I'm getting 7+ and frontal arc for both.
For the LRMs or Autocannons, it is on 5s: 3 base + 2 minimum range.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

PTN: Does the Mauler have 10 structure left as in the card, or 8 as in the update text?
Also, the Sagittaire didn't seem to get its -1 bonus for short range aiming for its secondary target.

If I screwed up it keeps whichever number is higher.

I'll look into the Sagittaire.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

RA Rx posted:

Edit: Actually, after accounting for the fall chance and the LRMs, the kill chance percentages come out about the same.
Edit 2: Yeah, previously aiming low and setting a contingency to limit damage would've been more likely to work than not, but if the enemy falls now it grants a 33% chance to kill it with a kick to the head or damaged torso anyway.
It's still worth it to aim low with just the Large Laser though, either it hits the Left Leg and the other weapons or a fall might finish it off, or at least you get a crit, or it hits the Right Leg and a kick to either location finishes it off, if it remains standing.

Best of luck whatever you do Kickass Harpsichord, it's been great watching you hold a thunderdome in the rear! :black101:

:spergin:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, Battlemaster orders for the next turn.

First thought is to stand still and unload on the Epona. I believe the Stone Rhino and the northern Epona do not have LOS with M4 and H7 blocking them respectively. My one concern is that with nothing to fire at they will take it out on the Luthien Armor Works. That's my best guess based on the Epona's maneuvering, or it could be moving back to support the Rhino as it moves south.

Or I can move to 1325 and also attack the Epona. This does expose me next round to the Rhino to a shot in the back but with my armor it doesn't really factor in either way. I get one last round at full weapons before losing a torso or getting mission killed. Plus moving to this hex means next turn I can hop down into the rubble and use that for cover.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Have you considered 1622 for the Battlemaster?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

Or I can move to 1325 and also attack the Epona. This does expose me next round to the Rhino to a shot in the back but with my armor it doesn't really factor in either way. I get one last round at full weapons before losing a torso or getting mission killed. Plus moving to this hex means next turn I can hop down into the rubble and use that for cover.

I say go for it, now's the time to link-up and complete 1/2 of the Primary.

Neither Battlemaster, 'Sag', or Mauler is going to survive much longer if the shooting continues, better make the final push now while we still have 'some' armor left.

Unless there is a great reasoning for the contrary, 'Sag' will loop around north side of the H17, take out the Epona (and hopefully survive), then pick-up the Stone Rhino if it chooses to keep heading south.

'Sag' isn't much of a threat anymore (from what it was, anyways), down one MPL and the TarComp; however I figure its better than not trying to 'guard' it at all.

If Battlemaster survives the round and makes it to the trench, it can go prone and have total cover? There's nothing around to shoot at you, if you can take out that Epona, and the HO gets scrapped as well.

Actually, looking again at the map, you might have cover from the Stone Rhino in 1325, assuming it moves to 1719, from the M2 silo.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

CourValant posted:

Actually, looking again at the map, you might have cover from the Stone Rhino in 1325, assuming it moves to 1719, from the M2 silo.
The Stone Rhino has already moved this turn.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jew it to it! posted:

So, Battlemaster orders for the next turn.

First thought is to stand still and unload on the Epona. I believe the Stone Rhino and the northern Epona do not have LOS with M4 and H7 blocking them respectively. My one concern is that with nothing to fire at they will take it out on the Luthien Armor Works. That's my best guess based on the Epona's maneuvering, or it could be moving back to support the Rhino as it moves south.

Given who's piloting the Battlemaster, if you can get a move mod going and not end up in multiple lines of sight, or end up in a better range bracket to avoid damage, it might be worth doing.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Ardlen posted:

Have you considered 1622 for the Battlemaster?

That was my original plan, to use M2 and H6 as cover as I move down the road.

Edit: I think I was looking at the wrong sheet when I did my initial thoughts, my Right Torso armor is in better shape than I thought. I must have combined the Sagittarius & Battlemaster's torsos. Put them together and you've got a pristine Sagimaster...no that's not right, a Battletarius.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ardlen posted:

The Stone Rhino has already moved this turn.

Yes I know, old table-top instincts kicked in on that last comment, I forget sometimes that its move-fire-move, and not move-move-fire.

Stone Rhino wouldn't have LOS on the Battlemaster if it moved to 1325 next turn.

Jew it to it! posted:

. . . put them together and you've got a pristine Sagimaster...no that's not right, a Battletarius.

The Battletarius would be a wonderful 'mech; they're both pretty similar already, wouldn't mind having a rack of SRMs (Streak or otherwise) to do a little crit-seeking last turn.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Ok, for the Battlemaster I am going to stay at my current hex, torso twist south to 1323 and fire on the Epona in hex 1415. I don't get to hit it with my sword but it affords me a round where no one is shooting me. This isn't ideal in linking up with the Southern Lance but it hopefully eliminates one more impediment.

Final thoughts?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

Ok, for the Battlemaster I am going to stay at my current hex, torso twist south to 1323 and fire on the Epona in hex 1415. I don't get to hit it with my sword but it affords me a round where no one is shooting me. This isn't ideal in linking up with the Southern Lance but it hopefully eliminates one more impediment.

Final thoughts?

I'm assuming you mean the Epona in 1425?

Its your call of course, however, the same OPFOR which can shoot at you if you move to 1325 can also shoot at you in your current hex (1322), unless I'm missing something; granted, you have partial cover where you are right now (the Stone Rhino has no LOS regardless, and the Summoner has LOS to both hexes behind his partial cover).

I would push for the link up now while the Stone Rhino is still making its way around the M4. In one turn it will have LOS to the South, or at the very least, to the M2 Silo which it can then blow up to give it better field of fire.

Again, your call; out of the three of us ('Sag', 'Hata', and Battlemaster), you're in the best position to make that run for link-up.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Jagermom really reaping a toll this mission, Justice Foot style this time. That Glass Spider should've gone down quicker if your dice luck had held out after the amazing stuff the Jagermom was doing with PTN's dice earlier this mission, but this is really awesome as well, especially from a narrative standpoint. Do it to the Ha Otoko as well now this turn, it'll be great!

Stone Rhino continues to be frozen out of good firing lanes, but I really wish the Gargoyle had gone down this turn, although it's falling certainty helps. The Mauler is pretty beat up now, and we'll see who comes out the better during this next exchange of fire. Standing and deliver (as much as your heat will allow, I guess) and then a kick should be enough to take him down, and hopefully work on the Monitor secondary objective afterwards.

Too bad about the Sagittare lost its TarComp, gotta deal with that Summoner sooner rather than later, but that might be hard with it taking cover behind the wreck of that dropship, though I'm not sure if it actually provides cover or is just rough or impassable terrain and you can just fire over it. Hunchback is pretty beat up too now, but the cavalry are almost here, so it shouldn't be too bad. Go link up, end these remaining fools in the Star down south over the next couple of turns, and take back (Isoroku's?) HOME PLANET.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Sorry I haven't really had a chance to check in and discuss things yet. Been a busy couple days for me and tomorrow won't be much better, so I could use some input on what I should be doing. My first thought is that I can just face south, move one hex to 1123, and get decent shots at the southern Epona, contingency for either the Summoner or the Ha Otoko in case the Battlemaster wrecks it before me. I have pretty poor shots at the Summoner so probably the Ha Otoko.

• Locked thread