Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Probably Thordan in 14, especially as AST. Everyone's running around trying to dodge aoes and fight the Knights of the Round and getting bounced around and then the big hit comes and everything fades to blinding white and the screen comes back to reveal...you're in your stupid rear end AST bubble and no one's health has moved at all :smug:

And then he limps around a bit like a moron while you murder him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sefal posted:

Final Fantasy IX:
The opening. From playing as Vivi and finding out the ticket isn't legit to jumping over houses to see the play, to escaping from Alexandria.
The escape from the "evil forest" that is turning to stone. I liked the pace of this.
The entirety of the black mage village and how Vivi comes to terms with his mortality.
Bahamut destroying Brahne's ships. The game was building up to it and showed how insane the summons are. Odin destroyed Clerya(sp?). Atomos brought Lindbum to its knees.
Bahamut VS Alexander. Just awesome.
Beatrix defeating you at the end of disc 1. And the fact that you never ever beat her in all 3 fights.
Kuja being in a permanent trance state. At the time it blew my mind, that a gameplay mechanic was integrated into the story.

Of all the final fantasy games i have played. FF9 is still at the top for me. And the one FF game I replay every few years. It doesn't get old.

All of these are fantastic. FFIX just has so much heart and character that it has a ton of really memorable moments, and that's why it's pretty much impossible to dethrone as my favorite.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The worst birthday thing just comes across as Lightning being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe because not only is Snow the nicest guy in the game, she immediately dismisses her sister saying she has a death sentence on her head.

We've talked about this before and, you might say "well l'Cie are semi-mythical! Lightning hthinks her sister is just coming up with some BS lie!" Only the game starts with us all becoming l'Cie and everyone freaking the gently caress out because of a Pulse l'Cie. They were determined to kill, what, hundreds of people because of this "myth"? So being a l'Cie is never really conveyed to us as this something that never, ever happens and Lightning just comes off as an insensitive jerk. Which she is.

And I know her backstory.Oddly, even though she's often compared to Cloud, she's more like Squall. She thinks being a cold hard-rear end is how adults act.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 14, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The worst birthday thing just comes across as Lightning being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe

this is why i like it, aside from it being it being funny as heck

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

The worst birthday thing just comes across as Lightning being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe because not only is Snow the nicest guy in the game, she immediately dismisses her sister saying she has a death sentence on her head.

We've talked about this before and, you might say "well l'Cie are semi-mythical! Lightning hthinks her sister is just coming up with some BS lie!" Only the game starts with us all becoming l'Cie and everyone freaking the gently caress out because of a Pulse l'Cie. They were determined to kill, what, hundreds of people because of this "myth"? So being a l'Cie is never really conveyed to us as this something that never, ever happens and Lightning just comes off as an insensitive jerk. Which she is.

And I know her backstory.Oddly, even though she's often compared to Cloud, she's more like Squall. She thinks being a cold hard-rear end is how adults act.

No it's because that's how cops and soldiers are trained.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jared dying was a big one for me. Remember Jared

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Uh, what?

Becoming a L'cie isn't something that ever happens but they are a recognized thing that exist as part of the setting where their city is run by magic space gods. Also a thing doesn't have to happen often for people to panic when it does. This isn't even a fantastic thing. Your argument is literally "Well, it hasn't happened recently so why are people worried when it does?!" which is like... come on? No poo poo people take things differently when their magic space god gets involved.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Amppelix posted:

I'm playing the FFVII retranslation. You know, this one:

It's actually not bad! I installed it because I thought hey, if I'm gonna replay this game might as well do some sort of thing to keep it a bit more fresh, but I'm not regretting it. To my surprise, the characters still sound like themselves, even if most of them lose a bit of flair in the transition. Even Barret, although he's lost the charming symbol swearing and now just swears actually, still uses the same sorts of turns of phrase as he used to and such. And Cait Sith (who is not replaced with any sort of original character) speaks with an extremely heavy scottish accent which is just perfectly absurd. And the actual reason for the retranslation's existence, making sense of some of the scenes completely destroyed by the original translation, is fulfilled nicely. It's pretty refreshing knowing what's going on in some of these messes of lines, and who was speaking in which text box.

Still, the translation is really silly with names. Really silly. 95% of them are "fixed" to be more """"accurate.""" They're probably the worst part, although you can optionally revert some of these with the installer. Like how about Professor Gast being named "Gusto" (that might be secretly amazing actually)? Or Zack renamed to "Zax" because that's a real name real humans have? Or "Leno" of the Turks. And honestly. Crime Hazard. Who looked a that and said it was OK?

So, which re-translation is this?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Norns posted:

Jared dying was a big one for me. Remember Jared

I literally have no idea who you're even talking about. Is this one of the guys from FF2?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
FF VIII:
  • Odin gets Odin'd
  • The final boss has a summon?!?! Crap
  • Clutch Invincible Moon right when you need it (good dog, HERPES)
  • Yeah Zell tell the bad guys who we work for on the first live TV broadcast in years good job

FF X:
  • John DiMaggio
  • The Seymour Omnis battle theme, a masterpiece of prog rock
  • Seymour blatantly calling Auron out for being where he's not supposed to be
  • The story of Jecht beating alcoholism
  • Tidus and Jecht fumbling through their last conversation because every other talk up to that point had consisted of "I hate you dad!" and "Gonna cry?"

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Zell was so sad after the TV broadcast!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NikkolasKing posted:

Snow is a dumb loving rear end in a top hat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Much as I like the later games soundtracks it was a sad day when Nobuo Uematsu left the series.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gologle posted:

I literally have no idea who you're even talking about. Is this one of the guys from FF2?

Jared was a butler either to uhh, the royal family of Lucis or Amicitia family of Kingsguard in FFXV.

One of the many wasted opportunities to bring some character to the game

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It was supposed to be some big moment and was a giant wetfart

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, what?

Becoming a L'cie isn't something that ever happens but they are a recognized thing that exist as part of the setting where their city is run by magic space gods.

This has come up in this thread before and when Light's reaction to Serah was rightly called out for being cruel and heartless, people likened it to Seah inventing the most ludicrous lie/excuse ever to justify her being with Snow. I can't remember the exact quote but it was compared to something fanciful, like saying you're a unicorn now or whatever.

quote:

Also a thing doesn't have to happen often for people to panic when it does. This isn't even a fantastic thing. Your argument is literally "Well, it hasn't happened recently so why are people worried when it does?!" which is like... come on? No poo poo people take things differently when their magic space god gets involved.

I phrased it badly so fair enough there. I was just trying to talk in terms of storytelling. L'Cie are supposedly rare but we see so many of them from the get go that it doesn't feel that way at all. If l'Cie aren't super rare, then the "justification" for Lightning's reaction to Serah is moot.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Sefal posted:

Bahamut destroying Brahne's ships. The game was building up to it and showed how insane the summons are. Odin destroyed Clerya(sp?). Atomos brought Lindbum to its knees.

It's just a shame that they don't have the same effect on monsters. Why is the fleet-destroying Bahamut unable to do more damage than this knight most people recognize as being kind of dreadful at his job? I'm kind of glad later games have tried to address this, to varying degrees of success.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

It's just a shame that they don't have the same effect on monsters. Why is the fleet-destroying Bahamut unable to do more damage than this knight most people recognize as being kind of dreadful at his job? I'm kind of glad later games have tried to address this, to varying degrees of success.

Don't forget Odin basically being able to drop A-Bombs on people in FFIX cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This has come up in this thread before and when Light's reaction to Serah was rightly called out for being cruel and heartless, people likened it to Seah inventing the most ludicrous lie/excuse ever to justify her being with Snow. I can't remember the exact quote but it was compared to something fanciful, like saying you're a unicorn now or whatever.

Yes? Something can both exist and be extremely unlikely or implausible, especially in a fantasy setting.

NikkolasKing posted:

I phrased it badly so fair enough there. I was just trying to talk in terms of storytelling. L'Cie are supposedly rare but we see so many of them from the get go that it doesn't feel that way at all. If l'Cie aren't super rare, then the "justification" for Lightning's reaction to Serah is moot.

... what?

You, uh, do know that the Purge wasn't all L'cie, right? Like that's a stated plot point. They were purging everyone who might have come in contact with one. There was exactly 1 L'cie (Serah) not counting Vanille and Fang.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

exquisite tea posted:

Aren't all hot blooded shounen action kamen rider protagonists though?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You, uh, do know that the Purge wasn't all L'cie, right? Like that's a stated plot point. They were purging everyone who might have come in contact with one. There was exactly 1 L'cie (Serah) not counting Vanille and Fang.

Yes, those three plus the rest of the party. That's who I meant, not Hope's mom or anyone else. We meet other l'Cie as the game goes on as well, further diluting the idea this just never, ever happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes, those three plus the rest of the party. That's who I meant, not Hope's mom or anyone else. We meet other l'Cie as the game goes on as well, further diluting the idea this just never, ever happens.

So your argument is that in a particularly exceptional set of circumstances 5 people is 'way too many and happens all the time' despite the constant dialogue that this never happens and that this is an exceptional set of circumstances. Like 100% straight up the explicit plot of the game is "Anima shows up and completely breaks the status quo." The events we see in the game are not the norm for the society. This is again not datalog stuff, it is literally stated repeatedly onscreen in dialogue.

Also you meet Cocoon L'cie, not Pulse L'cie. The only Pulse L'Cie in the game are the protagonists + Serah. Even then they're explicitly rare or secret. Dajh is explicitly a rare situation that only came about because Vanille and Fang were running around. He is also not a common thing. He is in fact the only documented Cocoon l'cie. (There are others but they are secret because rear end in a top hat gods.)

You're straight-up ignoring the actual plot here. Not the Datalog plot, not the obscured bullshit in the ending, the actual on-screen dialogue spoken by the characters and explaining the actual storyline, which informs the character's actual on-screen actions. FFXIII doesn't have a great plot by any means but if you're going to get angry over a character's actions you shouldn't be ignoring the actual context of those actions.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 14, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lightning's response is just a denial then anger response in the stages of grief. Replace lcie with a for real but rare terminal illness and you'd see the same argument about getting married.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

So your argument is that in a particularly exceptional set of circumstances 5 people is 'way too many and happens all the time' despite the constant dialogue that this never happens and that this is an exceptional set of circumstances. Like 100% straight up the explicit plot of the game is "Anima shows up and completely breaks the status quo." The events we see in the game are not the norm for the society. This is again not datalog stuff, it is literally stated repeatedly onscreen in dialogue.

Also you meet Cocoon L'cie, not Pulse L'cie. The only Pulse L'Cie in the game are the protagonists + Serah. Even then they're explicitly rare or secret. Dajh is explicitly a rare situation that only came about because Vanille and Fang were running around. He is also not a common thing. He is in fact the only documented Cocoon l'cie. (There are others but they are secret because rear end in a top hat gods.)

You're straight-up ignoring the actual plot here. Not the Datalog plot, not the obscured bullshit in the ending, the actual on-screen dialogue spoken by the characters and explaining the actual storyline, which informs the character's actual on-screen actions. FFXIII doesn't have a great plot by any means but if you're going to get angry over a character's actions you shouldn't be ignoring the actual context of those actions.

But that's the thing - we're told these things, we're never shown them. That's bad storytelling. We have no way of knowing what normal is for Cocoon because all we ever see of it is the shitfest in the game. Goes hand-in-hand with a lack of motivation to save the world because all we've seen of the world makes it appear irredeemably bad.

But we're getting way off-track. My original point was nothing more or less than Lightning was an rear end in a top hat to Serah for reasons that I don't buy. Do you feel they were legitimate?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

But that's the thing - we're told these things, we're never shown them. That's bad storytelling. We have no way of knowing what normal is for Cocoon because all we ever see of it is the shitfest in the game. Goes hand-in-hand with a lack of motivation to save the world because all we've seen of the world makes it appear irredeemably bad.

But we're getting way off-track. My original point was nothing more or less than Lightning was an rear end in a top hat to Serah for reasons that I don't buy. Do you feel they were legitimate?

What? :psyduck:

Yes we are. The game literally goes 13~ (because numbers~) days into the past and shows us literally all these things, in addition to multiple scenes of people freaking the gently caress out about the idea of l'cie.

The world in FF13 is pretty irredeemably bad. It is why the game ends with it getting broken and the setting ends with it getting completely wiped. If you think living in a lovely society means everyone in it should die then, uh, that's entirely on you.

And yes, they were about as legitimate as anything in the setting, for reasons that have been explained to you. The scene amounts to a teenage girl telling her sister she's marrying a weirdo bum who plays in a rock band. I don't know if you have any siblings or kids but most people are not going to be think that's great. Characters having legitimately unhappy responses to situations like that isn't a bad thing. It would in fact be a lot worse writing for Lightning (or honestly any character) to shrug and go "Sure, have fun, get married, hell if I care."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 14, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Gologle posted:

He was the old guy you meet for like five minutes when you go to Havana in FF15 and then he dies off screen and everyone acts all traumatized and sad like it was this huge deal even though the player has spent a total of five minutes with the guy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The credits of FF15 were my favorite part because it meant the game was over HEY OOOOOO

Also they were cool on their own I guess.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how do you pronounce l'cie

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

the sea

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Old Man and L'Cie

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

What? :psyduck:

Yes we are. The game literally goes 13~ (because numbers~) days into the past and shows us literally all these things, in addition to multiple scenes of people freaking the gently caress out about the idea of l'cie. '

The only flashback I remember of "normal Cocoon" is Sazh and Dahj and even then I think Dahj was already a l'Cie? No wait, there was the scene with Light and he superior. I keep forgetting he is a guy that exists.

Otherwise we have Serah confessing to Snow, Snow and Serah giving Lightning her birthday present, and that's all I remember. Obviously nothing to do with Fang and Vanille could be classified as "normal."

quote:

The world in FF13 is pretty irredeemably bad. It is why the game ends with it getting broken and the setting ends with it getting completely wiped. If you think living in a lovely society means everyone in it should die then, uh, that's entirely on you.

People die all the time in fiction. If they haven't given you a reason to care, that's on the writer, not the audience.

quote:

And yes, they were about as legitimate as anything in the setting, for reasons that have been explained to you. The scene amounts to a teenage girl telling her sister she's marrying a weirdo bum who plays in a rock band. I don't know if you have any siblings or kids but most people are not going to be think that's great. Characters having legitimately unhappy responses to situations like that isn't a bad thing. It would in fact be a lot worse writing for Lightning (or honestly any character) to shrug and go "Sure, have fun, get married, hell if I care."

How about being supportive of your sister marrying someone who genuinely loves her and would do anything in the world for her? (I do have siblings but I am the youngest so maybe I can't understand but it still strikes me as lovely and Lightning completely agrees with me after she thinks for a bit)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

How about being supportive of your sister marrying someone who genuinely loves her and would do anything in the world for her

Being a good sibling doesn't mean accepting any decision someone makes without criticizing it. Likewise "this person loves me so much, our love is true and honest and genuine and you have no right to criticize it" is never something that should be a barrier against criticism, not in the least because if you're a dumb teenager/just barely not a teenager you probably will feel that way strongly.

There's obviously a balance but 100%, Snow is the kind of guy any good sibling or relative would at least go "Uh, hey, maybe you should wait to get married until this guy has his poo poo together??" to.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 14, 2017

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lightning is either hearing the dumbest excuse ever as to why Serah needs to get married riiiiight nooooow. Or she is learning her sister is going to turn into a crystal studded zombie wandering the land in misery forever. Any response that doesn't involve denial and anger is out of character for most people even beside jrpg heros.

The relationship between Light, Snow, and Serah is like one of the only decent pieces of writing in the game and going beep boop do what you want, you're doomed anyway sis would be markedly more unbelievable.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If we are gonna do game specific moments:

FF1: Visiting the Dragon God and getting your class change. It was awesome to watch your party members turn from little kids to adult killing machines. Especially if you had a thief turn into a ninja.
FF2: fighting the emperor in hell in Soul of Rebirth. Despite 2 being the worst game in the series, it has the best remake addition.
FF3: getting to Eureka the first time, I loved the music and fighting all the hard bosses for sweet weapons.
FF4: Tellah dying, only to die in vain.
FF5: leaving the planet to go to Galuf's home world. You arrive and Galuf is like "wtf are you doing here??"
FF6: aforementioned end of the floating continent
FF7: bike race leaving Midgar
FF8: getting to Esthar for the first time. It's like going to a whole new world.
FF9: finding out Fratley was alive, and Freya rightfully losing her poo poo over it.
FF10: fighting Yunalesca and figuring out the whole Yevon's teaching thing was a sham
FF12: getting the Zodiac Spear
FF14: Spider One's crocodile tears over Sephirot's theme song being an apparent ripoff.
FF15: Being asked if you want to bring a crippled Ignis into the cave.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Anybody who wears a sock cap on their head unironically should probably not be the kind of guy you want associating with your loved ones. However, Snow is a good guy, being alternate universe Locke, but the problem with that is that first impressions mean a lot, and maybe you shouldn't wear a sock on your head idk?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Regardless of how big a jerk Lightning is, I'm pretty sure the appropriate response to hearing 'I'm gonna turn into a magic crystal orrrr a magic zombie monster and also I'm getting married!' is indeed 'Are you loving making GBS threads me.'

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

If we are gonna do game specific moments:

FF1: Visiting the Dragon God and getting your class change. It was awesome to watch your party members turn from little kids to adult killing machines. Especially if you had a thief turn into a ninja.

This is a really good one too. My little 12 year old self was like :aaaaa:

Getting that rat tail SUCKED though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know everyone goes ape for Dancing Mad but goddamn to this day do I like The Extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Elentor posted:

I know everyone goes ape for Dancing Mad but goddamn to this day do I like The Extreme.

I like that it opens with the classic FF battle theme bassline