Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I, too, yearn for realism in this world in which winters last for decades at a time, a disreputable priest of Rh'llor raises someone from the dead multiple times, ice elves create legions of zombies, Faceless Men literally trade faces, and a seven-hundred-foot wall made of magical ice are all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Dragons should have been based on Trogdor

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bobby Digital posted:

Then there would be no wondering why the gently caress Dany doesn't have a saddle yet-- Drogon just holds her with his beefy back arm.

It would work!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

kcroy posted:

GOT sperg everywhere you look.

My Mom called me yesterday, and started lecturing me about dragons. About why they have such big chests ( that is where they make the fire, duh ), and how stupid Dany was for not having armor on them. It's like my mom has just discovered that dragons exist. She is so excited, she has been reading books on "dragons" and reading wikipedia on "dragons" and it is really weird. She was talking as if : 1) dragons really exist and 2) that they are made a certain way, and just one way. As if there haven't been hundreds of dragon permutations floating out there for ever. At one point I litereally asked her if she understood dragons weren't real, because we had gotten into a discussion of how their wings were built and she started talking about how scientists now think they were actually feathers, and what do you call a dragon with feathers?

She also has this naive trust in the writers, that everything is there for a reason, and that you can zoom in on details infinitely. She was really confused about why John threatened Littlefinger in the catacombs. I mean Littlefinger literally saved ALL their lives with his vale knights, not to mention rescuing Sansa from Cercei. Which I thought was a fair point. However, now she is digging into previous episodes to find out exactly what Jon knows about LF. When I suggested he definitely knew LF gave Sansa to Bolton - because how could he NOT know after spending some time with Sansa - she couldn't accept that. If it was important the writers WOULD have put it in! So she needs to rewatch all the episodes to check exactly what Jon knows.

As if the writers don't make mistakes, aren't lazy, on a schedule, and probably don't give a gently caress at some level. In my mind, Jon was mad at little-finger because the writers needed him to be. Because they liked the scene... or because they wanted to show he was suspicious, and Jon freaking out is way more interesting than any other way.

She also has some interesting theories. I wasn't paying attention too closely at that point, but something about how LF's family had hidden riches or something. I dunno. I'll get caught up with her on Monday, and see if provides anything entertainingly crazy.

EDIT: Oh! I remember one. She had a theory that the reason GRRM is not finishing the books is because he is ghost writing the tv show.

Get her a copy of Peter Dickinson's _The Flight of Dragons_, she'll love it.

Also "A Natural History of Dragons: a memoir by Lady Trent", it got good reviews, as far as I can tell it's a mom novel with dragons

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 13, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Get her a copy of Peter Dickinson's _The Flight of Dragons_, she'll love it.

Also "A Natural History of Dragons: a memoir by Lady Trent", it got good reviews, as far as I can tell it's a mom novel with dragons

Thanks will do! Nice to have some present options, because I never know wtf to get her on holidays. I'm going to go send her down a dragon rabbit hole with all the wyvern talk.

Mad Hamish posted:

I, too, yearn for realism in this world in which winters last for decades at a time, a disreputable priest of Rh'llor raises someone from the dead multiple times, ice elves create legions of zombies, Faceless Men literally trade faces, and a seven-hundred-foot wall made of magical ice are all possible.

I feel ya. I can accept all those, but the second some rear end in a top hat is shooting an arrow 700 feet straight up with enough strength to kill, I gots to sperg.

Bobby Digital posted:

I truly miss strongbad. Those were simpler times. Simpler dragons. Consumate V's.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Wasn't Smaug made a wyvern because they couldn't get the cgi model to look right with 4 legs + wings? I mean dragons have to be pure magic otherwise they'd need a few km wingspan to support that mass, not even speaking about all the other issues. Realism with dragons has to be the dumbest argument ever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's why Draco still looks cool despite being dated 1997 CGI. They modeled his on land movements off a horse and mixed in sean connery's mannerisms and gestures.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dragon bones are hollow and full of air sacs, just like a bird.

Essentially, their skeletons are either balsa or polystyrene pebble board.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Dragon bones are hollow and full of air sacs, just like a bird.

Essentially, their skeletons are either balsa or polystyrene pebble board.

Have you been watching Reign of Fire?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
THEY USE HYDROGEN GAS TO GENERATE LIFT AND ALSO AS AN INGREDIENT TO THEIR FIRE SPIT

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

violent sex idiot posted:

THEY USE HYDROGEN GAS TO GENERATE LIFT AND ALSO AS AN INGREDIENT TO THEIR FIRE SPIT

this is why if a dragon gets struck by lightning it explodes, and why they were seldom used in open warfare. Even a simple armor piercing tracer round could prove disastrous. This is why they were used mostly for stealth attacks in Iraq in 1991. It is rumored that dragons were used in the raid that killed bin laden - Their unique bone structure plays havoc with radar, and the JDRR ( Joint Dragon Rapid Response ) team was concerned that Bin Laden might have non-traditional entities, eg: Djinn, Desert Wyvern, etc. Having a flight of dragons - even ones bred for stealth and not strength - could be the difference between success and failure in a semi-magical standoff.

Ultimately the concerns turned out to be unfounded - the supposed "informant" was receiving money from defense contractors DragDynamics. This scandal was quickly brushed "under the prayer rug" to use President Hussein Obama's metaphor.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm mad that the dragons in the show do not conform to the design and rules set forth in my D&D Monster Manual.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Pete's Dragon best dragon

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's why Draco still looks cool despite being dated 1997 CGI. They modeled his on land movements off a horse and mixed in sean connery's mannerisms and gestures.

I love that terrible movie to this day.

Has anyone watched the horrible looking sequel that's on Netflix? Is it worth it for dope dragon poo poo?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So sayeth the Gurm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfSRotn5M9Y

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 14, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Pete's Dragon best dragon

falcor and it's not even close.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Vermithrax, plus he has the coolest name. Get the gently caress outta here with that drogon poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

esperterra posted:

It is so "medieval 90s by way of Costner Robin Hood" it hurts. Dennis Quaid has never been a particularly good actor but his gruff attempts to sound vaguely medieval make Kevin Costner look practically Shakespeare in comparison.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

kcroy posted:

this is why if a dragon gets struck by lightning it explodes, and why they were seldom used in open warfare. Even a simple armor piercing tracer round could prove disastrous. This is why they were used mostly for stealth attacks in Iraq in 1991. It is rumored that dragons were used in the raid that killed bin laden - Their unique bone structure plays havoc with radar, and the JDRR ( Joint Dragon Rapid Response ) team was concerned that Bin Laden might have non-traditional entities, eg: Djinn, Desert Wyvern, etc. Having a flight of dragons - even ones bred for stealth and not strength - could be the difference between success and failure in a semi-magical standoff.

Ultimately the concerns turned out to be unfounded - the supposed "informant" was receiving money from defense contractors DragDynamics. This scandal was quickly brushed "under the prayer rug" to use President Hussein Obama's metaphor.

Now that John Ringo has arrived, this thread can get back to talking about rape.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wyverns are low-class imitators that take jobs from honest, hardworking dragons and promote dragon erasure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Nice to see confirmation that Jon's a trueborn Targ and not a bastard. Figured he was since it'd make sense and also firmly fit in to the "all the nobles in Westeros will always do the stupidest poo poo imaginable" rule they seem to follow.

Like, IDK what would've happened if Robert's rebellion had failed. Rhaegar might've been able to spare Ned but finding out that his sister wasn't kidnapped but instead eloped with the crown prince? Only Dorne's reaction would've been more severe. Also it means that all of the political problems of the last 15-20 years stem from a prince and his lover being too stupid and ignorant to just openly declare their relationship.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

If dragon's aren't real...how can you gently caress up how they look?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nice to see confirmation that Jon's a trueborn Targ and not a bastard. Figured he was since it'd make sense and also firmly fit in to the "all the nobles in Westeros will always do the stupidest poo poo imaginable" rule they seem to follow.

Like, IDK what would've happened if Robert's rebellion had failed. Rhaegar might've been able to spare Ned but finding out that his sister wasn't kidnapped but instead eloped with the crown prince? Only Dorne's reaction would've been more severe.

having multiple wives was a targ tradition as old as marrying your siblings innit? also im pretty sure ned was never going to be ok with bending the knee to the guy who killed his father and brother, or even the son of that guy

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Everytime I see them together, I picture GRRM watching her unofficial "audition" tape, and it grosses me the f out. Also loving the cringe when he talks about it being more accurate.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kylaer posted:

Now that John Ringo has arrived, this thread can get back to talking about rape.

The Kildar guy?! I'm deeply flattered to be compared to a literary genius such as he. Does he have dragon books?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

violent sex idiot posted:

having multiple wives was a targ tradition as old as marrying your siblings innit? also im pretty sure ned was never going to be ok with bending the knee to the guy who killed his father and brother, or even the son of that guy

Some had multiple wives in the past, but Rhaegar had his other marriage annulled entirely.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Gilly: Sam, how do you pronounce this?

*reads from book*

P-L-O-T-D-E-V-I-C-E

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

esperterra posted:

Has anyone watched the horrible looking sequel that's on Netflix? Is it worth it for dope dragon poo poo?

They're prequels and they're all so loving awful I loved every second of it.

Apparently dragons jump through shadows and also their eggs are basically grenades.

Anyway yeah wyverns suck, give me four legged dragons. I'm so sick of these knockoffs getting the dragon treatment and they're lame shits.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Shoutout to an internet meme making it into the show.

[davos says to gendry "i thought you'd still be rowing"]

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Shoutout to an internet meme making it into the show.

[davos says to gendry "i thought you'd still be rowing"]

Show better than fat man books

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Why did I even tune back in. Besides being tv show subtle about the Rhaegar confirmation and the inevtiable Gendry reunion, what was there?

E: welp, at least we got Snow Team Six, and they are all cool as gently caress.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 14, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Malpais Legate posted:

They're prequels and they're all so loving awful I loved every second of it.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Famed fat idiot makes scientifically accurate argument in straight face about fictional creature

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kcroy posted:

The Kildar guy?! I'm deeply flattered to be compared to a literary genius such as he. Does he have dragon books?

he does, yeah
they also involve nymphomaniac anime elves who look 13, but who are okay to gently caress because they're ~*~actually~*~ 700

standard ringo setup, more or less.
maybe a tad less racist than usual, since they're set in the transhuman far future where nonwhites have mysteriously died out, so ringo does not feel the need to invent a mechanism for killing off all nonwhite populations during the course of the story, like he usually does.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 14, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ringo from the Beatles writes sci-fantasy? Okay, I don't want to Google this and ruin it for me.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Lmao they hired a guy to play Dickon Tarly for like 3 episodes and say like three lines.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Malpais Legate posted:

Lmao they hired a guy to play Dickon Tarly for like 3 episodes and say like three lines.

He was actually pretty good

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Randyll Tarly getting purged was extremely dope. I'm loving the breakneck pace of the show now. It's like the anti-Mereen.

Show: Here's Tarly dad. He sucks.
Fans: Boo.
Show: Wow such a dick.
Fans: Boo.
Show: He's a pile of ash and he will be a reminder to not gently caress with progress.
Fans: YAY!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

He was actually pretty good

Yeah, his "Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhggggghhhhhh" was pretty immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I was confused why the show was trying to convince me that what she did was bad because it seemed to solve the issue of forcing the rest of the army to surrender.