Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ONE DAY :kingsley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Because I still want some of that dumb story to give context to what I'm playing. My choices shouldn't be between too much story and none at all, or watching half a cutscene then skipping the rest.

Idk, just different for me. I just played 2 Sonic fangames that both had cutscenes and I choose not to watch them. There's a bunch of other new games I did that in too, and ended up liking the games better than most because of it.

I do get S&P's point though, in that players will still be compelled to see the story by virtue of it being there or commitment issues. I don't know if there's ever gonna be a good way to balance out Story & Non-Story if the people who complain about it don't have enough executive control (in the cognitive sense) to move on themselves. It's kinda interesting, but in a sad way that may not have an easy solution.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 14, 2017

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone know what time the eShop updates? Wanna buy Mania as soon as it hits.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A good Sonic game is going to be released for the first time in a long time (Generations and Colors were average imo), I can't believe it.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone know what time the eShop updates? Wanna buy Mania as soon as it hits.

Usually first party games at midnight, third party mid day on release day. I wouldn't expect Mania to be up at midnight.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 14, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda afraid that slight and reasonable imperfection will make the internet turn on it for not being perfect and decry it as a letdown.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MikeJF posted:

I'm kinda afraid that slight and reasonable imperfection will make the internet turn on it for not being perfect and decry it as a letdown.

So what

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe not getting a sonic Mania 2, that's what. I hope it sells well regardless, for this very reason.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe not getting a sonic Mania 2, that's what. I hope it sells well regardless, for this very reason.

"The Internet" says every Sonic game is the worst game ever yet they still keep getting made

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sales numbers tends to speak greater volumes than internet speak anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ventana posted:

Idk, just different for me. I just played 2 Sonic fangames that both had cutscenes and I choose not to watch them. There's a bunch of other new games I did that in too, and ended up liking the games better than most because of it.

I do get S&P's point though, in that players will still be compelled to see the story by virtue of it being there or commitment issues. I don't know if there's ever gonna be a good way to balance out Story & Non-Story if the people who complain about it don't have enough executive control (in the cognitive sense) to move on themselves. It's kinda interesting, but in a sad way that may not have an easy solution.

Freedom Planet had tons of unnecessary dialogue; just strip it out, simplify the remaining dialogue, shift some of the reactions from dialogue to on-screen reactions, let things like level transitions speak for themselves.

Just don't make your deviantart platformer bloated and overblown and keep the story elements slick and brief. There are decades of games with perfectly good examples of quick, focused sprinkles of plotting. It's a solved problem, Freedom Planet just decided to ignore that.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Did they comment on how sales were doing in terms of preorders?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

azurite posted:

Did they comment on how sales were doing in terms of preorders?

Nope!

Steamspy says about ~25k owners right now on PC, though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I mainly chose to skip classic mode in FP out of morbid curiosity. The story is badly paced garbage and not in an entertaining way so don't be like me.

I hope that they learn from the negative feedback and introduce some brevity into the sequel's story sequences.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I can't believe Mania is only £16.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I have a strong prediction that it will either be at midnight PST on the 15th, or it will have a rolling release at noon on the 15th.

e: Comedy option, it's delayed

Lol

In other news I just bought a switch and will be playing Mania tomorrow after all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dresh posted:

Says the same for me, but I'm hoping it's just a temp date before updating people's statuses to release day delivery. Glad I didn't already take Tuesday off though in case it really does come on Thursday.
I called up Amazon last week, basically since there is no physical game product they aren't running release day delivery for it.

MikeJF posted:

Did you miss people, In this thread even, losing their loving minds over the ending?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Just five minutes until Sonic Mania unlocks, according to my PS4.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

its midnight here in melbourne, australia and sonic mania is up on the nintendo eshop so im gonna download it now and play it on my nintendo switch on my way to work in the morning :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For once, living in Australia doesn't suck total rear end.

Sonic Mania is really good.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I only have a PC and wanna vomit my intestines out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Looking forward to playing Sonic Mania in...two weeks!?

:negative:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Wait, it's out on PS4 right now??

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

man nurse posted:

Wait, it's out on PS4 right now??

Only for Australia I think?

Ugh, my team lead really wants me in-office tomorrow. Was hoping to work from home or take the day off. :(

I can't believe I'll have to wait till the end of the day to play it like a normal person.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 14, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Only 30 minutes until the 15th here in Japan...

...where according to the e-shop it comes out on the 16th. :negative:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

hey guys its good

i played two zones, gonna have to go to sleep cause i got work in the morning but im glad i went in blind without spoilers because so far im like whoa that's pretty neat

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just five minutes until Sonic Mania unlocks, according to my PS4.

what the loving poo poo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have the game pre-paid and pre-downloaded, I have my PS4 avatar set to Eggman, I have Sonic as my background. I am ready, give me the juice already, SEGA!

I'm really let down by the lack of a dynamic theme with Sonic music and sound effects for this game. :cmon:

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Launch trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Tka60EWWU

Fair warning: it shows off some new levels

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Reviews are coming in, it's looking good

IGN: 8.7
Gamespot: 9

Edit: Some spoilers in those reviews so read at your own risk.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Freedom Planet had tons of unnecessary dialogue; just strip it out, simplify the remaining dialogue, shift some of the reactions from dialogue to on-screen reactions, let things like level transitions speak for themselves.

Just don't make your deviantart platformer bloated and overblown and keep the story elements slick and brief. There are decades of games with perfectly good examples of quick, focused sprinkles of plotting. It's a solved problem, Freedom Planet just decided to ignore that.

This basically is saying: "Just make the story better!" But the thing is, while flaws are obvious in hindsight, they aren't easy to trim out when you make a game or any other art product. Especially when you work with a small team with small resources. And especially so when part of your target base will seemingly not accept any story regardless of quality (not trying to imply you here with this).

In making FP1, GalaxyTrail wanted to tell a specific kind of story that they liked. A story that had lengthier cutscenes, deviantart-ish character designs, and weird extremes (from killing rulers in a bloody conflict to a slumber party at Lilac's house). And without lots of focus testing or experienced writers/editors or just a fuckload of time to figure it out yourself, that's ultimately what a team will have to do at the end of the day to get the game released. There wasn't exactly much precedent in "2D Sonic Game* with voiced and detailed cutscenes", and the team wanted to take a risk on telling a story like that.

That's where the Classic mode option comes in and makes this experiment interesting. "We don't have resources to extensively know if this story approach will be liked by normal players. And some of our target base won't like any cutscenes. Can we do something so that they can enjoy the game in their own way?". Maybe not the original intention of Classic mode, but that thought probably came up somewhere down the line for them.

In the end, these experiments probably came out as failures. I can agree that there were flaws that could've been handled differently for a better end product, but I don't agree that it's a solved problem in terms of the process. Putting at a story for any game will always have uncertainty and risk with it, and FP chose an approach to try and appeal to both sides. I don't think they were wrong in trying to experiment with that approach, even if it ended in failure.

*Not trying to imply FP is only trying to be a Sonic game, it's just the closest base assumption here in terms of target base

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jim sterling posted a video review but it got hosed up in rendering, here's the blurb on his website tho

quote:

Sonic Mania is a brilliantly staged celebration of the past that acts as a true sequel to the Genesis line of games.
he'd better include a formal apology for liking Sonic 4 :colbert:

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55421vTLzfc

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 14, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I will at least credit the FP team with going back after the fact and slicing away some of the story bloat, long after anyone really cared and to a chorus of bleating by garbage teens who insisted that dialogue that referred to cut content and no longer made any sense was somehow instrumental to the story, so I'm still optimistic about them making improvements for the sequel.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ventana posted:

I can agree that there were flaws that could've been handled differently for a better end product, but I don't agree that it's a solved problem in terms of the process.

Same.

I have spent some length of time chatting with the guy who made FP about Classic mode and its implementation and how it relates to the second game and I could not define it as a "solved problem", it's actually surprisingly complicated and if that other poster thinks it is solved, by all means tell me so I can pass the word along.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's not like there's never been an edgy Sonic story, or cringey sonic dialog or lovely fancharacter like designs.

Silver makes me irrationally mad. Everything about him is terrible. He's basically Knuckles but worse in the way he's tricked to think Sonic is bad. The one upside to superfluous sonic buddies is at least seeing new animals, so a hedgehog but with a potleaf hairdo is about the lamest thing. I'll never not believe they made him because they wanted to make use of the physics engine.

That aside, I'm super happy Mania appears to be reviewing well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So the reason to do the Blue Spheres stages has started to circle around the internet.

As you get coins you start unlocking bonus stuff. Including the super peel out, the S3&K Instant shield, and a "& Knuckles" mode that appends an AI controlled Knuckles to whoever you're playing as, Even Knuckles.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

I called up Amazon last week, basically since there is no physical game product they aren't running release day delivery for it.

Ugh, I should've preordered from a physical Gamestop location

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I had faith in the Taxman and Stealth. I've been following their stuff for almost two decades so I had no reason to ever doubt whether or not the game would be good.

The Sonic fanbase has a reputation for being insane, but it can also be insanely talented and more passionate than almost any other game series. They literally know more about Sonic than Sega does and for the first time in many years, Sonic is again being made by the right people.

I really don't care about reviews that much, but even IGN and Jim Sterling like this game. I am convinced this will not be the last time these guys make a Sonic game.

Just take a deep breath guys and relax. The Sonic we loved is finally back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I never stopped loving Sonic so I don't know what you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Sonic's is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)