Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chadzok posted:

I was hoping after Littlefinger's last sneaky grin, we'd get a shot of Arya peeking around the corner with a sly grin, then a shot of littlefinger leaving - but seeing arya's sly grin reflected in a shiny decorative shield, gives a slight smile of his own. after littlefinger leaves, arya gives the shiny shield a little buff with her sleeve and grins.

I mean, you throw in LF watching through a peephole as a guy watches through a peephole and beats off, and you got yourself a gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TowerofOil posted:

The subject of Arya's training keeps being brought up and maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but wasn't her training just mopping floors and getting hit with a stick?

She did some blending in andd spying on targets while she had that superugly hairdo. Which she of course hosed up.

"Army of the Dead that the Wall was built against according to all legends and stories? Come off it, we need to deal with real things like dragons, stone men and a girl that didn't burn"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

KyloWinter posted:

I thought that thease season was pretty bad but ep4 was decent, then this happened. This episode actually makes me not want to not watch any more. What utter garbage.

It was possibly the worst episode of the entire show. loving nothing happened beyond hammerdude coming along. Everyone already distrusted littlefinger , Jon came back from his warm vacation to the exact same spot he was before and the maesters are still futzing around doing nothing. It was an episode of everyone talking and getting up to speed which is what we have had for most of the season except even more dull.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Coucho Marx posted:

Oh, hey, The Actor Kevin Eldon.

...oh, bye, The Actor Kevin Eldon!
ftfy

The meeting where they decide to capture the wight is probably the worst written scene in the whole show. I don't just mean in terms of the sheer stupidity of the plan but every single thing about the dialogue too.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 14, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I like him but it's weird that they brought him back. I mean, did he leave the theater troupe to be a gold cloak?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

NowonSA posted:

Yeah my take on it is the combination of showrunners wanting to end it quickly, HBO not wanting to bring new people on board to run it so late in the game, the quality of the show not being quite as certain when you're completely in uncharted book territory, and the growing actor costs alongside higher than usual FX costs.

I liked the slower pace of earlier seasons a bit more, but there's something to be said for episodes that have so little filler to them, and people can get the super thorough breakdown of what's going down when all the books are out in 2040.
i have not read the books, though i know seasons 2-5 deviated, sometimes significantly, from the respective books they were based upon. i would imagine the cartoonish pacing and fanfic writing has a lot to do with seasons six and seven being based upon books that haven't even been written yet, yeah?

it's entertaining as hell, but it feels (and likely is) rushed, sloppy.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Davos has risen to Bronn levels of awesome this season.

His line about living to a ripe old age was amazing. Also the rowing joke.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gorn Myson posted:

ftfy

The meeting where they decide to capture the wight is probably the worst written scene in the whole show. I don't just mean in terms of the sheer stupidity of the plan but every single thing about the dialogue too.

Cersei Lannister at the big zombie-war-council summit, regarding a single captive zombie:

"Oh, cool. Qyburn makes those, too. I don't see how this proves poo poo. You should really get around to housebreaking your zombie like I did with mine. BTW I poisoned u all LOL."

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Ya, it’s pretty clear that with the book-seasons they have the luxury of watching beats develop, happen and unfold in the matrix of a larger story. These few episodes really smack of being transposed from bulletpoints, with a lack of imagination or depth.

Isn’t westworld taking a longer than usual cycle before returning? I have no idea why got couldn’t ask for another 3 to 6 months before airing to bump up the quality a few notches.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

evilmiera posted:

It was possibly the worst episode of the entire show. loving nothing happened beyond hammerdude coming along. Everyone already distrusted littlefinger , Jon came back from his warm vacation to the exact same spot he was before and the maesters are still futzing around doing nothing. It was an episode of everyone talking and getting up to speed which is what we have had for most of the season except even more dull.

lol

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Does Gendry make it out of this season alive? I really want to see more of the bromance between him and Jon

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

Isn’t westworld taking a longer than usual cycle before returning? I have no idea why got couldn’t ask for another 3 to 6 months before airing to bump up the quality a few notches.

I'm glad that cratered into schlock in one season instead of stringing us along.

I'll probably still keep watching because so far it's fun schlock.

The dumb thing that bugged me the most in the finale is how they have disposable pleasure-bots that guests are free to murder every single day en masse for sadistic glee. And these disposable robots are in open rebellion killing guests and employees. Yet the hardcore tactilol internal security guys are all on some "SIR PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPON" and getting gunned down instead of just rushing in guns blazing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

Does Gendry make it out of this season alive? I really want to see more of the bromance between him and Jon

Yeah he makes it out alive. He's gotta fall in love with Sansa to make Arya jealous so Sansa and Arya can have a real spat next season instead of the fake one they're gonna have this season.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah he makes it out alive. He's gotta fall in love with Sansa to make Arya jealous so Sansa and Arya can have a real spat next season instead of the fake one they're gonna have this season.

That's the wrong Stark. He clearly falls in love with Arya, who is said to look a lot like her aunt Lyanna.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
gendry is gonna fall in love with jon and then have a big dramatic break when it turns out robert's dad killed jon's real dad

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

That's the wrong Stark. He clearly falls in love with Arya, who is said to look a lot like her aunt Lyanna.

:wrong:

Arya will fall for him, but he won't feel anything but friendship towards her. It's the only way to have there be any tension between the sisters once they resolve the trust issues with "ruling the North" this season.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...7872705%2F&_rdr

whoa

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

big, if true

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it supposed to unreadable? Is there a better link?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

If the theories about Bran and merging timelines are true, then Jon could be the Last Hero of legend, which means all his companions should all die, including his little dog Ghost.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I didn't know I was watching Ocean's 11

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
So this is the spoilers thread but are we okay talking about leaked stuff from episode 6 and 7? I didn't see anything specifically saying okay or not okay in the OP.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Enigma89 posted:

So this is the spoilers thread but are we okay talking about leaked stuff from episode 6 and 7? I didn't see anything specifically saying okay or not okay in the OP.

a-okay

e- for instance people love talking about the smash-cut boatsex vs Jon's parents wedding scene coming up soon

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Chadzok posted:

I was hoping after Littlefinger's last sneaky grin, we'd get a shot of Arya peeking around the corner with a sly grin, then a shot of littlefinger leaving - but seeing arya's sly grin reflected in a shiny decorative shield, gives a slight smile of his own. after littlefinger leaves, arya gives the shiny shield a little buff with her sleeve and grins.

I made a joke about this after watching it, too. You could up that, though. I want a full 60 minutes of Littlefinger and Arya trying to one-up each other on furtive smarmy grins that both of them notice.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I mean at this point who cares about spoilers. Think about the dumbest/laziest thing that could happen next and it's probably right.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

regulargonzalez posted:

It's like Karate Kid where wax-on wax-off was black belt level training

And if Daniel-son couldn't beat Johnny in a one on one fight, so in a very cheap move he turned the lights off in a room, and killed him.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Drunk in Space posted:

If the theories about Bran and merging timelines are true, then Jon could be the Last Hero of legend, which means all his companions should all die, including his little dog Ghost.

Goddamn it, you just made me realize Ghost isn't in Jon's RPG party.

... Although that might be a blessing in disguise, since they'd probably kill him to save a couple bucks on the CGI department.

Did they seriously only have the budget for a couple seconds of Nymeria?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The wolves don't exist in this show anymore. They're too busy reusing lines from the first season to bother with the wolves.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jon personally going on the ghoul hunt is dumber than captain kirk beaming down with the away team every time, because at least in the later case they have a way to instantly return him from harm's way, and also an semi-hierarchical well-established command structure that will cope well with his absence.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
If Jon dies, Ghost becomes King in the North.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
How did Tyrion know Bronn and Jaime even survived that battle? How did he communicate with them?
Even though it was very stupid and pointless, Davos collecting Gendry was a good scene because the actors were good and seemed to be enjoying it. Their sneaking into/out of King's Landing scenes was laughably cheap looking and absurdly easy.
The guys trying to capture a wight is at least a relief because it has some of the best actors, but the dialogue when everyone met was real bad and does not give me high hopes for what should be a fun group.

edit: and not ONE line of dialogue about how Jorah was cured of a definite death sentence? Everyone thought that disease was incurable! Not even a little curiosity about that?

Mullitt fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 14, 2017

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
So in the next episode Jon's group of raiders starts getting their poo poo pushed in and randomly Dany shows up at the right moment and saves the day but one of her dragons(viserys??) dies and in the following episode the undead dragon destroys the wall. It is a given Dany does something incredibly stupid to get her dragon killed, right. Also at some point Dany and Jon gently caress and Arya kills littlefinger?

And if we are really lucky Tormund beds Brienne and she has baby giants who star in a GoT Sequel.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tormond asking after her was a nice touch.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
One of the more absurd fanservicy things will be when Sansa sends Brienne to King's Landing so that she can represent the North - mostly so that we can have a Brienne/Jaime and a Brienne/Hound scene in episode 7.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Tormond asking after her was a nice touch.

Why not bring her along? She's not doing anything else. It doesn't have to make sense, just have her there.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I guess we'll never know how Randyll felt about Sam stealing his sword.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mullitt posted:

Why not bring her along? She's not doing anything else. It doesn't have to make sense, just have her there.

Much as I think she'd be cool in the ensemble, narrative wise her pledge is to Lady Stark and the Stark Daughters, so it does make sense she'd stay in their service versus go tromping off with their brother. So this is a case where by accident or design D&D actually made a character follow their motivation and do the less fanservicey cool thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

GrandpaPants posted:

So I guess we'll never know how Randyll felt about Sam stealing his sword.

I bet he was pretty hot under the collar about it

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Much as I think she'd be cool in the ensemble, narrative wise her pledge is to Lady Stark and the Stark Daughters, so it does make sense she'd stay in their service versus go tromping off with their brother. So this is a case where by accident or design D&D actually made a character follow their motivation and do the less fanservicey cool thing.

Oh, I get that, but it's a main reason why I don't find the show as fun as many people here seem to. It's not fanservicey enough to be fun and the serious parts are very poorly written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

skasion posted:

I bet he was pretty hot under the collar about it

Went to pieces.

• Locked thread