Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
theory: the Major chose to play pretend with his son at Jackrabbit's Palace because the love he felt for his child always shone brightest at those times, facilitating travel to the White Lodge

never off the clock, that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

n4 posted:

Pretty sure she said atopa. She literally used the definition from here:

From Magic and Ritual in the Ancient World:

https://books.google.com/books?id=xMDHgzjSU_MC&lpg=PA145&ots=M4kOAEIwhJ&dq=atopa%20unnatural&pg=PA145#v=onepage&q&f=false

I don't think so

Google "twin peaks tulpa" and "twin peaks atopa" and the difference is pretty obvious

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cromulent posted:

To me that actually seems a little too on the nose. And I feel like if someone were missing, it'd be pretty easy to find out if they were in police custody.

seems similar to the kid puking up in the car too... i wonder if there's something affecting everyone and it's spreading.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
My spouse hasn't seen FWWM since the mid-90s, so the flashback scene threw him for a loop. He asked who the Bowie impersonator was; I replied, "That IS David Bowie."

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
the subtitles said "a tulpa" iirc

this is the best show on TV

andy is a pivotal character lmbo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

zeal posted:

theory: the Major chose to play pretend with his son at Jackrabbit's Palace because the love he felt for his child always shone brightest at those times, facilitating travel to the White Lodge

never off the clock, that guy

Either that or he wanted Bobby to be aware of the location of it because a portal to the lodge was nearby and he somehow knew (thanks to White Lodge super powers?) that Bobby would some day need to go there/bring Andy there.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

This was on reddit, but check out this guy using rubber gloves which seem to seal onto his hands, to travel through mirrors:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PvyiEL6hw

The Orpheus connection seems apt.

e: Also holy poo poo look at the floor pattern. Its the black and white zigzags of the lodge.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 14, 2017

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
drat the subtitles do say a tulpa. Weird. Atopa fits so perfectly and I feel like that book is referenced elsewhere in the Twin Peaks lore too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

n4 posted:

drat the subtitles do say a tulpa. Weird. Atopa fits so perfectly and I feel like that book is referenced elsewhere in the Twin Peaks lore too.

:shrug: The Subtitles have been wrong before, like the Billy/Bing thing in the diner.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

n4 posted:

Tulpa fits with the idea of dreaming a doppleganger though, could just be a happy coincidence that both fit well.

From wikipedia: Tulpa (Tibetan: སྤྲུལ་པ, Wylie: sprul-pa), nirmita (Sanskrit: निर्मित), or thoughtform, is a concept in mysticism of a being or object which is created through spiritual or mental powers.[1] The term comes from Tibetan "emanation" or "manifestation".[2][3][4] Modern practitioners use the term to refer to a type of imaginary friend.[5]

What if the dopplegangers aren't somehow automatically existant but the result of bad emotions manifesting as a self? The "You" that's always in the shadows, the paths you know you could have taken.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 14, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's why I prefer the "check which one people are actually using in ongoing discussions" method.

get their clothes

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

n4 posted:

It's a good thing that this thread had discussed possible meanings already because I was fairly sure myself that Tammy was mangling the German word "Tulpe", which means tulip. When I got to that part in the scene I was honestly slightly annoyed that they explained blue rose by introducing even more flowers. :downs:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

So James seemed pretty cool in his scene.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

It was his birthday!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

caligulamprey posted:

He's better than Chad, I'll tell you that much.

Also, who got him that gig at the Roadhouse? Why aren't they helping James get a good job? Like, he's playing on the same stage as the Nine Inch Nails. What is going on?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

He's better than Chad, I'll tell you that much.

Also, who got him that gig at the Roadhouse? Why aren't they helping James get a good job? Like, he's playing on the same stage as the Nine Inch Nails. What is going on?

He has local clout, he was probably just the opening act. Since, you know, he's just got the one song.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
re: the roadhouse scene: i dont think ive ever seen someone lip synching so bad

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

caligulamprey posted:

James is going to Obi-wan this English kid into the Bookhouse Boys

and die in single combat with Cooper

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Thom and the Heads posted:

re: the roadhouse scene: i dont think ive ever seen someone lip synching so bad

Yeah this song wasn't bad but it was much more obviously fake than previous performances. It was mixed like a radio single and sounded absolutely nothing like a real live show.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vikar Jerome posted:

tho i keep reading the waiting room is different, and the fireman was in the waiting room in season 2. so is the red waiting room the black lodge too or have we yet to see the black lodge proper?

man from another place specifically says the red room is the waiting room but it becomes black lodgeish when they cut the lights and turn on the strobes

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Guys, a tulpa is a Tibetan buddhism term and having actually attended classes at Naropa in Boulder, CO I suppose I can say that it's appropriately Lynchian and makes sense as a line he would right for Tammi in this. Is it Tammy or Tammi? I use the stripper spelling because, uh... I'm a misogynist? Her performance? Not sure.

Also, I'm thrilled I spotted the resemblance of Jack Rabbit's Palace to The Fireman's home (I know I'm not the only one :)). It just kinda popped out at me, because I had paused and studied the image of his home on that spire of rock - I've always been a fan of any architecture (real or imagined) that is literally built into sides of mountains almost as spires. They fascinate me. A geek would "OMG LIKE CASTERLY ROCK/THE EYRIE" or something but in truth there are many such stone castles that were built in gorgeous mountainous regions throughout Europe in that manner, not to mention entire towns built into the sides of extremely steep ridges on carefully terraced land - I have been in love with such places ever since I got the privilege of visiting the Amalfi Coast in Italy when I was younger.

So, uh, anyway, sorry for the derail - I just noticed it because I spent so much time looking at The Fireman's "castle" and the cliffside it was built into, because the image of that was so painterly it stayed in my mind.

I wonder if they did the CGI/art after finding the ruined tree trunk, or made a fake tree trunk? I'm guessing the former, makes a heck of a lot more sense. [/andy]

But really, I'm still in shock that Andy suddenly is this important character who seems... In-charge and kinda knows what to do. But his personality seems the same going by his interactions with Lucy.

Because you know, the whole time (like you guys probably) I was thinking "of all the most unreliable fucks for the Giant (Fireman, Fireman, new names are weird) to pull into The White Lodge :psyduck: Why not Bobby or Hawk or Truman is Andy even gonna remember any of this poo poo??

And then, in the exact INVERSE of what we thought would happen, Andy seems to remember everything perfectly, whilst the trio of Frank/Hawk/Bobby can't remember a single damned thing. Maybe kinda like Hastings? Or was Hastings the one who was able to remember something in his case? Obviously, Briggs was hiding outside of linear time, where-ever he was, probably at the other end of one of those vortices.

I don't think all these vortexes would lead to the same place, is the thing. I don't think the vortex that Gordon nearly went through at "Hasting's Site" would have brought him to a good, or pleasant place. Probably would have brought him to where those Woodsmen were, I presume? On the same note, I firmly believe that "The Dutchman's" where "Philip Jeffries" (or whomever is using that identity) is hiding is also at the other end of one of those vortices. It would fit in with Ray's cut-off comment about it not being a real place and Cooper cutting it off by telling him that he knows what it is.

Also, we should bear in mind that Andy wasn't just shown Ep 8 Redux... There were additional images of the #6 telephone/electrical pole at Fat Trout which seems to be the real-world counterpart to The Arm. You know, I'm beginning to wonder how many true "real world counterparts" there are to entities/places from the Lodges or other worlds.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 14, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so the cole dream? when monica signals to him to look behind him? people on reddit found the paris cafe on google maps and... looked behind cole. D:

https://www.google.ie/maps/@48.842321,2.3257543,3a,45y,96.11h,82.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suyH8qbVuQx5oLe4V-gYMjw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 14, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ha! That's great!

Also it's spelled Tammy

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
They probably only had Monica Belluci for an hour and couldn't do what they wanted with her, so they just made her say some vague lines and point to something off camera. They shot in the café because they didn't have time to fly her to a set.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Spermando posted:

They probably only had Monica Belluci for an hour and couldn't do what they wanted with her, so they just made her say some vague lines and point to something off camera. They shot in the café because they didn't have time to fly her to a set.

they did exactly what they wanted to do with her. it was written in the script that way and we know because that single page of the script had been photographed and posted online a long time ago and people with better eyesight able to read lynch handwriting, read it.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 14, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

speaking about spoilers, i guess this episode puts to rest one old spoiler rumour, i'll put it in tags JUST IN CASE but i think i know what happened regarding the girl they put in the cell and the rumour: so it got mentioned a while ago on those twin peaks boards that hounded the sets during production and posted tons of photos before lynch asked them to take it down so not to ruin anything, that someone had seen an asian actress in the twin peaks set area and assumed it was joan chen and assumed it was going to be a surprise cameo since her name wasn't on the cast list and she had wrote a letter to lynch/frost in character, apparently, saying she was up for returning. i think they just saw the blind squeaky girl instead. this then fueled other surprise cameo rumours such as bowie (tho harry goaz did say he was set to film a cameo but was too sick to go at that time but people think they kept it a secret or something, still hoping for a roadhouse bowie/jefferies show and harry/catherine. could still happen!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I have zero hope it'll happen but if Bowie shows up and performs, like, Lazarus or something at the roadhouse in the last episode I may literally die.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think it's like 0% likely Bowie will appear - obviously finishing Blackstar was his priority while he was deteriorating - but if it DOES happen I will completely lose my poo poo

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Joke alternative: 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I’m still not 100% convinced there won’t be a Bowie cameo in the last couple episodes. I’m not certain there will be one either, but it seems weird to build Philip Jeffries up as this big character who’s essential to the plot of this season and not have him reappear (outside of a FWWM flashback).

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Cole: LUCY, HAVE YOU BEEN THERE ALL THESE YEARS?

Lucy: Well, I have gone home...

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I’m still not 100% convinced there won’t be a Bowie cameo in the last couple episodes. I’m not certain there will be one either, but it seems weird to build Philip Jeffries up as this big character who’s essential to the plot of this season and not have him reappear (outside of a FWWM flashback).

idk, I think of it the opposite way. he's important enough to the plot that, in his absence, they have to have characters speak to him on the telephone. which seems to be how other characters whose actors were unavailable were squeezed into the show, like Doc Hayward, the Log Lady, and Harry.

there's still a chance that they're just playing with our expectations though

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The way Lynch uses cheap CG and compositing this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they just photoshop Bowie's face onto someone/something or a character has a flash of a vision where they replay his FWWM clip. Maybe work his Blackstar music video into Twin Peaks as Jeffries doing a strange musical number, lol.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

the flower wallpaper is the same as the wallpaper in the room with a door picture that laura gets from the old woman (i forget her name) and kid in FWWM which leads into the red room/waiting room/black lodge.

tho i keep reading the waiting room is different, and the fireman was in the waiting room in season 2. so is the red waiting room the black lodge too or have we yet to see the black lodge proper?

My theory honestly is probably too simple but this is basically what I think:

Convenience store and stairs = Black Lodge, swarming with woodsmen and BOB pounding creamed corn

Tower in the purple ocean = White Lodge, where the Fireman chills with his BBW pal and shoots orbs toward the earth sometimes

The really iconic zigzag white floor "waiting room" is a kinda neutral space between the two. The two spirits (one spirit?) most associated with it - MIKE and the Arm - seem to be pulled between the Black and White lodges. Seems like it's where the doppelgangers dwell too

I dunno, there's so much ambiguity and I think that their levels of "morality" are so different from ours and otherworldly that to call them "Black and white" seems intentionally disingenuous. It's never meant to be wholly understood. If anything I love Twin Peaks for replicating the actual confusion the average human would feel when faced with something so uncanny. Like we're chimpanzees trying to figure out what humans are doing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

n4 posted:

Pretty sure she said atopa. She literally used the definition from here:

From Magic and Ritual in the Ancient World:

https://books.google.com/books?id=xMDHgzjSU_MC&lpg=PA145&ots=M4kOAEIwhJ&dq=atopa%20unnatural&pg=PA145#v=onepage&q&f=false

You're loving dumb. Look up Tulpa. Yeah.

What kind of fans of weird poo poo are you people if you've never heard of Tulpas before. Read some god drat books you uncultured trash.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I would agree with this if not for what they've been doing with Briggs. Seems like he's just trying to find a way to keep characters with dead actors in the story somehow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cephas posted:

idk, I think of it the opposite way. he's important enough to the plot that, in his absence, they have to have characters speak to him on the telephone. which seems to be how other characters whose actors were unavailable were squeezed into the show, like Doc Hayward, the Log Lady, and Harry.

there's still a chance that they're just playing with our expectations though
Right, but Doc Hayward and the Log Lady still appeared on screen. I’d be fine with seeing a character talk to Bowie on the phone and showing him in some strange place for a few seconds if that’s all it is. It just seems like not having anything beyond FWWM flashbacks would be lacking when Jeffries is being built up as one of the main characters behind the events of this whole season, like the Fireman.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they do a Bowie cameo I really hope it's like the David Hyde Pierce cameo in the latest WHAS series where he Skypes in and he has all his awards in the background and stuff.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
It's gotten to the point where I feel like Lynch almost wanted to challenge himself by making three of the most central characters to this season's stories the ones with dead actors - Briggs, Jeffries, and BOB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Twin Peaks Revival 2017: I use the stripper spelling