Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017
Firefly was cool and fun to watch because it was light-hearted action and adventure in a unique and cool looking space setting. The characters were interesting and had cool personalities. Also the space ships looked cool. The dumb guy with the funny hat was great.

A lot of people don't like it but eh, not everybody likes lite Sci fi.

A lot of fans webt bananas for it, imagining what it would be like had it continued. Eh whatever, gently caress those guys.

I watched the season through when I got it on dvd for my birthday and I liked it. The end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

why the gently caress is everyone talking about firefly

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I hate like 90% of Whedon's shows/movies just because it seems like he just can't help himself when writing quips, even if they don't fit the context of the scene. Like, I get it, dude. You know how to make funny people say funny things. You don't need to remind me of how super clever you are in every single scene you write. For gently caress's sake.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Joss Whedon is not a bad writer, but he has a wheelhouse he excels at. The first Avengers movie has a really solid script that manages to balance a lot of diverse personalities, give them all moments to shine, and find an emotional core to carry the audience by. It's a concept that should have been incredibly hard to put to film and he managed to condense it all pretty much perfectly.

I don't think he's really ever done anything better, and a lot of his exemplar work is very similar. Whedon-esque quippy dialogue became so loving vogue too, it was never his best attribute and yet that's what his cultural legacy was. Whedon is great at bringing a bunch of characters together and giving them unique voices, he's not good at actually making them say not stupid poo poo constantly.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You watch Avengers and think "Wow, Whedon reigned himself in a little, made a nice script that doesn't get too crazy."

And then you see the Shawarma scene and now gently caress Avengers, gently caress this movie, gently caress all superheros, destroy all moopies.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't Alex Baldwin like if the worst libertarian and the worst young earth creationist you could find and they had a baby and that baby was raised an anti vaxxer?

But Alex Baldwin survived to adulthood

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You guys are making me mad about Baldwins. Alec Baldwin is a famous, liberal, Hollywood actor, Stephen Baldwin is his less successful, born-again Christian brother, Daniel and William Baldwin are also Alec's brothers but who cares, Adam Baldwin is the guy from Firefly, is not related to the other Baldwins as far as I know, and is the libertarian idiot.

Oh my god I'm sperging about famous people, somebody please kill me put a bullet in my brain.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who the gently caress is Alex Baldwin?

There are plenty of good goofy and serious sf shows nowadays. Killjoys and Dark Matter are both good and The Expanse is great.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

reignofevil posted:

I think I totally skipped some train robbery episode and I feel happier for it tho

Goddammit you missed the single best moment in the show, this is the moment that I used to sell my friend on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRlHwwVIug

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

this is literally the only scene I remember from the show

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
IMO they should not have made the ship kinda look like a horse

step too far

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Mordja posted:

You guys are making me mad about Baldwins. Alec Baldwin is a famous, liberal, Hollywood actor, Stephen Baldwin is his less successful, born-again Christian brother, Daniel and William Baldwin are also Alec's brothers but who cares, Adam Baldwin is the guy from Firefly, is not related to the other Baldwins as far as I know, and is the libertarian idiot.

Oh my god I'm sperging about famous people, somebody please kill me put a bullet in my brain.

My favorite Baldwin is Hector Baldwin, the brother who works as a manager at a locally owned coffee shop and is in a band, but he's not weird about being in a band. Hector Baldwin doesn't like labels and even though he isn't ambitious he thinks he might one day own the coffee shop when the current owner decides to sell.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Alec Baldwin may be a Libertarian and a truther, but you can't deny the guy makes drat good pianos.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The only "Bald"win I wanna hear about in here is Jack

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Jack sucks

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Vaguido posted:

Jack sucks

I wish

I mean, you wish

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Monkey Fracas posted:

IMO they should not have made the ship kinda look like a horse

step too far

That's been a look in sci-fi art since the 70's tho

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

thoughts and prayers posted:

That's been a look in sci-fi art since the 70's tho

Yeaaahhhh but the show has this cowboy theme going on and I'm pretty sure that's why they made it look like that and not because they were looking at rad 70's scifi art

I could be wrong

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Firefly is a show I remember back when it was coming out was during the height of the 'this is stolen from anime' phase, so a lot of folks in geek circles were going, "The trailer had a girl in a suitcase! It an ensemble of different people in space doing space western and roguish space stuff! It's a rip off of Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop and Trigun," even before it came out. It didn't seem like the geek fandom community was so passionate about it into it until it was cancelled and Fox blamed for mishandling it early on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It looks like a firefly, that's why they named the show Firefly.

Goddamn goons. "Why does it look like a horse?"

What horses do you know that have glowy butts?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know of no horses that glow, but I know some horses become glue.

KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017
And the witty dialogue certainly sticks with you!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Firefly was a pretty good show that got cancelled. People just get really annoyed by it because its fans act like it was the best science fiction show ever made when it wasn't.

Maybe if Firefly has lasted more than one season, who knows, it could have been. Or they could have driven it into the ground like most sci-fi franchises. Nobody knows.

It's nowhere near as important and influential as something like Star Trek, Star Wars or Doctor Who.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I did not like Fire Fly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Firefly was a long time ago and there weren't many space shows on at the time, it was really amusing for it to be the anti star trek where the federation is bad and the crew is worse and there's no aliens.

I don't think it should continue but wouldn't mind a better show like it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Firefly wishes it was half as good as Farscape.
:colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Adam Baldwin may be an idiot irl, but he was pretty great in Full Metal Jacket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5R4tgGdDk&t=79s

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If you're in the market for lots of Firefly opinions in 2017: my friend you just hit pay dirt

Scroll up and enjoy. :)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why the gently caress is everyone talking about firefly

I set a trap and it sprung perfectly. Now instead of mocking CD we are working our way to making light of TVIV

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

I did not like Fire Fly.

Same. Cowboys in space, gently caress off. Just using this to save money on props and costumes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

reignofevil posted:

I set a trap and it sprung perfectly. Now instead of mocking CD we are working our way to making light of TVIV

TVIV Is just as dumb as CD, just in a different way. Full of goons who didn't pay attention to the episode cause they were looking at their phones or playing a game on a second screen, then ask the dumbest questions about what happened.

But on the plus side, you sometimes get fun jokes and conversations and not film school rejects quoting Zizek.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
All I remember about firefly is a guy got sucked into an engine and it was funny.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

WampaLord posted:

TVIV Is just as dumb as CD, just in a different way. Full of goons who didn't pay attention to the episode cause they were looking at their phones or playing a game on a second screen, then ask the dumbest questions about what happened.

What is this, the local?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
If you're going to watch space cowboys, watch Cowboy Bebop, the only good anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't leave food in the fridge

KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017
Here's the thing m'goons...... First things first: Firefly is one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time. The closest thing to Star Wars since 1983, and arguably the best thing Joss Whedon has ever made, it's the holy grail of space-western comedy-dramas. In the 12 years since it was canned, the short-lived series has become a cult phenomenon for good reason. In 2007, the box set was even rocketed up to the International Space Station's intergalactic DVD library (which, to be fair, also includes 50 First Dates and G.I. Jane) – a fact which gave the fans little comfort as the years slipped by without any hope of a comeback.

It might still be thought of as the greatest tragedy to rock the sci-fi world since Jar Jar Binks, but somewhere in a dark alternate reality, Firefly never got cancelled and everyone's lives are much more miserable.

For one thing, we wouldn't have Serenity. Designed to wrap up the story in two hours instead of 20, Whedon convinced Universal to buy the rights from Fox and turn whatever was left of his show into a cut-price feature film. Proving that sci-fi didn't always need Bruckheimer-breaking budgets to tell a decent story (or turn a decent profit), Serenity came out in the same summer as Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith and ended up winning a lot more fans.......

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Heh, nah. Firefly sucks.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The only "Bald"win I wanna hear about in here is Jack

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Lexx was the pinnacle of scifi as a genre and everyone should have stopped making spaceman stories after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bloom posted:

Lexx was the pinnacle of scifi as a genre and everyone should have stopped making spaceman stories after it.

I'm Barry Bostwick's rainbow skirt.

http://i.imgur.com/bWdZLdz.mp4

• Locked thread