Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pollyanna posted:

That's...a really good question. Why aren't the cop supporters going apeshit over this like they do anytime BLM is involved?

Partly because the cop supporters just like it when black people die, partly because unless some drone shenanigans are confirmed it looks like it was just pilot error/mechanical error/the same reason a helicopter in Iraq crashed on a seemingly daily basis. Whirlybirds are hazardous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

coyo7e posted:

So what is with the weird lack of ANYTHING regarding the two police officers who died?

In my city in Oregon, a fat, elderly . mentally-ill white woman shot a cop in the head for no reason - they renamed an entire loving highway after him because, you know, he was such a hero for sitting in his cruiser and then being killed out of the blue.

Meanwhile we have two cops who died trying to do their jobs to reign in a bunch of nazis and KKK members, and I'd say that maybe half of the news stories I see even mention them past a single byline.

Where are the #BlueLivesMatter people who are usually up in arms every time a cop displays a bruise they got from a thrown water bottle?

i think nobody is entirely sure what happened and the only people who knew for sure are now dead, so people are sort of treading lightly until there's more information on what happened - pure accident, something from a protest contributed, and which protest contributed (for example there were rumors that it hit a drone - but it's easy to see counterprotestors flying drones to get more pictures and loving up)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure Miller their Chief of Staff and probably Kushner ( maybe) have convinced Trump that he has ti denounce Nazis

I'm almost certain that if Trump mentions white supremacists and Nazis explicitly he will also name leftists and antifa.

He's not going to condemn Nazis, at best it's going to be "both sides do it!!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah he'll totally condemn both groups

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

plenty of people become racist anyway: one of the most obvious examples of steven miller being a racist shithead was that one day he told his childhood friend, who was latino, that they couldn't be friends anymore because he was latino

if they were friends before that, one presumes the interactions were positive.

I don't get your point, I didn't say that it was a 100% No-Racist Guarantee

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hes gonna gently caress up and call out the antifa, but "forget" to mention the neonazis

Edit: thanks for the awesome avatar, wandering D&D avatar person

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Even if he solely condemns Nazis, it's beyond clear that he's only doing it because of the public reaction, rather than his actual feelings. I'm sure cnn will let us know that today is the day he became president though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
CNN reporting that Trump is going to address Charlottesville again and name the KKK and other racist groups. We'll see if it actually pans out.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I'm not really an idealist. I've had that knocked out of me on Nov. 8th, pathetic as that may be. I know it's a struggle now. However, we can't do X until we do Y is kind of inadequate. Yes, we should be punching Nazis. But we're not going to be doing that all of the time and some of us aren't even in a position to do so. I think we're capable of developing an outreach mechanism while we also create left wing organizations to counter Nazi violence. We can do more than one thing at a time.

On this point we are 100% in agreement. We (the left/society) need to be knocking them down with one hand and helping them up with the other. But just this moment we have to knock them the gently caress down first and foremost. I welcome any and all efforts to reach out to the alt-right and think that right now is a great time to be developing those kinds of programs. But we should be developing those quietly in the background so that they are ready to activate once we have finished punching Nazi's.

You deal with the active threat trying to kill you first, and then you worry about everything else. That is the law of survival that is hard driven into anyone who has spent time in life-or-death situations. I admire your motivations and agree with your end goals, but I cannot emphasize enough that right at this particular moment you are in way over your head because you are inexperienced.

My earlier post about experience being goddamn near the only important thing in a physical fight also applies to a cultural fight like we are presently engaged with against Nazi's. Once Nazi's do not present an imminent threat to our survival then we 100% need to reach out to them and find ways to prevent radicalization from taking hold again. But first we gotta punch Nazi's. The German people did not abandon fascism until fascism had been loving brutally decimated in a very public way. Sadly once radicals heave reached this point that is the only way to communicate with them. You loving smash them publicly and without hesitation.

Right now punch loving Nazi's. Once it is clear the Nazi's are dealt with then we can light a campfire and bust out the s'mores while we invite the former Nazi's to come join the circle and sing Kumbaya. Until then punch loving Nazi's.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 14, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
gently caress, I'm really excited, this could be the moment when Trump becomes President

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I don't get your point, I didn't say that it was a 100% No-Racist Guarantee

that would be the connotation of the word "inoculation" which is what i used and you objected to

there are things his parents may or may not have done to make it more or less likely that he became a racist, but knowing only that he became a racist we do not know how he was raised, and that was the context of the discussion: if we can infer from this particular racist's racism if his parents failed as parents.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Wish I could watch this live, but I'll settle for gauging thread reactions to understand how bad Trump fucks this up.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
He may finally acknowledge that Nazi scum is indeed bad, but I 100% guarantee you that he will lump "violent lefists" or even the "alt-left" in there as well.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If we're playing Bingo, I'm crossing "he somehow blames it on Obama" and "somehow blames it on Hillary".

(I hope that made sense. I may be somewhat fuzzy on the actual rules of Bingo.)

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Man, what did Oklahoma City ever do to these conspiracy/freedumb types? Just leave them alone! OKC gets punished every day just by being OKC.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I always like listening to the conversations between reporters when the live stream is up and no one is speaking into the mic

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
What are the odds he mentions he electoral win?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Taint posted:

CNN reporting that Trump is going to address Charlottesville again and name the KKK and other racist groups. We'll see if it actually pans out.

I'm guessing Pence's statement will be the basic outline: yes kkk bad, but there is extremism on ~both sides~ but that ~both sides~ includes the kkk and white nationalists so when he denounced both sides of course he was denouncing the kkk and white nationalists as part of his denunciation of everyone but really the bad people are the violent leftists the kkk is just about heritage respect our heritatage and the question will be if he can keep the quiet part quiet

He couldn't last time, and made sure to note "both sides" twice and respect for heritage.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

KickerOfMice posted:

Man, what did Oklahoma City ever do to these conspiracy/freedumb types? Just leave them alone! OKC gets punished every day just by being OKC.

Oklahoma City is located in Oklahoma.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Trump already hosed this up. Doesn't matter what he says now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

What are the odds he mentions he electoral win?

i think it's like 50-50 that he sticks to script: sometimes his aides can twist his arm into reading the prepared statement and immediately shutting up

if he goes off script then yeah, definitely he will mention it

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SirPablo posted:

We can still hope he somehow messes it up even worse, though!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If he just reads off a script real low energy, it'll be like when he had to apologize for his grabbing pussy remarks or acknowledging that Obama was born in America. Short, bland, and goodbye. Completely sterile and not his real opinions.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

that would be the connotation of the word "inoculation" which is what i used and you objected to

there are things his parents may or may not have done to make it more or less likely that he became a racist, but knowing only that he became a racist we do not know how he was raised, and that was the context of the discussion: if we can infer from this particular racist's racism if his parents failed as parents.

The point I'm objecting to is that literally no-one thinks that exposure to other races is an inoculation against racism, despite this weird insistence of yours, but it is a drat good idea both for it's own sake and also to increase the odds that your darling little boy doesn't become a 3%er

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wanna see him gently caress this up badly.

Canned statement on KKK and vague poo poo -> status quo
"Both sides!" -> stupid, but still status quo
"Why are people telling me not to defend Nazis!" -> lmao time

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

SirPablo posted:

don't worry he can still get plenty of praise from the media if he denounces literal nazis, because that's where the level is now I guess, Fareed Zakaria is on standby with a box of tissues

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Haven't seen it reported anywhere, so real fast before Il Douche speaks: the local news said that a couple of losers were standing outside the courthouse, where Field was being arraigned, defending him with "we had permits" and bullshit about "the violent left". Police apparently had to be called in to protect the punks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just imagine getting Trump to come out and denounce Nazis is like trying to put a cat into a bath tub full of water

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I wonder how backhanded this repudiation of violence will be

Bonus points if he brings up his popularity during this somber moment

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SirPablo posted:

Exactly.

And every time he attacks anyone else from now on, it needs to be reiterated that Donald Trump refused to immediately condemn white supremacy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

pocket pool posted:

He may finally acknowledge that Nazi scum is indeed bad, but I 100% guarantee you that he will lump "violent lefists" or even the "alt-left" in there as well.

He will 100% go this route. He already condemned the "hate...on ALL sides".

I think this was more cleverly coded than it sounded, though.A big thing about the modern right is that while most of them are now openly racist, few claim to actually hate the people they want to beat/maim/remove from the country. It's usually couched in "every race deserves a place and a culture to call home and America is that for white people". So when Trump condemns hate, specifically, to these people it sounds like he's condemning the hatefully-screeching left and antifa.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

So what is with the weird lack of ANYTHING regarding the two police officers who died?

In my city in Oregon, a fat, elderly . mentally-ill white woman shot a cop in the head for no reason - they renamed an entire loving highway after him because, you know, he was such a hero for sitting in his cruiser and then being killed out of the blue.

Meanwhile we have two cops who died trying to do their jobs to reign in a bunch of nazis and KKK members, and I'd say that maybe half of the news stories I see even mention them past a single byline.

Where are the #BlueLivesMatter people who are usually up in arms every time a cop displays a bruise they got from a thrown water bottle?

edit: last update July 17. https://twitter.com/bluelivesmtr

Last update Jan 17 https://twitter.com/BlueLivesMatter

June 30 https://twitter.com/BlueLivesNYC

In fact I can only find two people who even used the hashtag yesterday. But I am also Bad At Twitter

Because, though tragic, they died in an aviation accident while on duty. It's hard to paint that into a media narrative.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The point I'm objecting to is that literally no-one thinks that exposure to other races is an inoculation against racism, despite this weird insistence of yours, but it is a drat good idea both for it's own sake and also to increase the odds that your darling little boy doesn't become a 3%er

you are being an idiot because that is the precise thing that was suggested (and then, to be fair, retracted). it's in the thread. it was quoted in the post of mine you responded to. if you don't read the post i'm quoting when reading my post you will often not understand my post, and this is one of those situations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
He already gave David Duke and his pal about 98,000 winks and nods the last 3 days. Too little too late even if he does the right thing now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReidRansom posted:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/alt-right-leader-spencer-plans-return-to-texas-a-m/article_3dc041ce-ac24-54e4-ae26-49f0b5f65c6c.html

FFS, that rear end in a top hat Spencer is going back to A&M, invited once again by known shithead Preston Wiginton, who I'm pretty sure is a pedo

Haha, the Eagle stops just short of advocating that he be run outta town.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

evilweasel posted:

I don't think you two disagree really.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I imagine this will be like when he "ended" the birther issue

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I hope he doubles down.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Anyplace that's showing this live online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Maybe he could plug his hotels. "All sides are welcome to stay at the beautiful Trump Tower in nearby New Jersey."

• Locked thread